PDA

View Full Version : Longford invoke u-21 clause and get game called off

MariborKev
21/03/2005, 9:42 AM
It has been announced that Longford have invoked a rule regarding u-21 players as one of theirs has been called up. They have got the game against us called off and rescheduled for Tuesday 12th of April

OneRedArmy
21/03/2005, 9:56 AM
Well done Longford :rolleyes:

Ridiculous rule, can't understand why the clubs agreed to it. Should revert to the previous rule of requiring a couple of players to be selected.

If the EL continues to improve and more domestic players get selected in the u21s we'll end up not scheduling fixtures on international weeks.

I suspect this won't be welcomed by the Longford away fans as I would imagine a Friday night match on a holiday weekend is preferable to a Tuesday night..... and we get punished by having to play 2 games in a week.

dortie
21/03/2005, 10:08 AM
It has been announced that Longford have invoked a rule regarding u-21 players as one of theirs has been called up. They have got the game against us called off and rescheduled for Tuesday 12th of April

:rolleyes:
No way would they do this for ONE player being called up !! Probably a few out Injured, plus they dont want another beating so soon.

liambo
21/03/2005, 11:39 AM
is it not true that longford are a full time outfit??
this under 21 player must be some kind of wonderkid if they can't play one match without him.does anybody know his name and is he a regular starter?
i had a wee feeling for longford(non-dublin team) but now longford have gone way way down in my estimation.to me they are nothing but yellow wa****s :eek: :eek: :eek:

the 12 th man
21/03/2005, 11:51 AM
this under 21 player must be some kind of wonderkid if they can't play one match without him.does anybody know his name and is he a regular starter?
i had a wee feeling for longford(non-dublin team) but now longford have gone way way down in my estimation.to me they are nothing but yellow wa****s :eek: :eek: :eek:

steady on there fella.........its stephen paisley and its obvious to anybody who knows the game why the rule was utilised.

OneRedArmy
21/03/2005, 12:05 PM
steady on there fella.........its stephen paisley and its obvious to anybody who knows the game why the rule was utilised.

....... you're on a two game losing streak, we're coming off a good run in friendlies and on Friday night's opener and you'd rather play us 4 days after we play Shels?!

Pathetic behaviour. Within the rules, but the rule is a joke.

One player ffs!!!!!!!!!!

pete
21/03/2005, 12:18 PM
Could game have been moved forward?

Cosmo
21/03/2005, 12:24 PM
Don't see why an EL club should suffer if they're lucky enough to have one of their best players chosen to represent Ireland at any level.

Can't see anything wrong or immoral in what they've done :confused:

pineapple stu
21/03/2005, 12:25 PM
Didn't this rule come in because Cork were withouth O'Flynn for one game last season and kicked up a fuss? Can't blame Longford for taking advantage of the rules that are there...

Cosmo
21/03/2005, 12:32 PM
.........and i dont think many should complain that the rule is there - its a good rule imo - or am i missing something :confused:

harpskid
21/03/2005, 12:34 PM
Derry could have utilised this rule last season but don't think they did.

I've heard Waterford have a man in the U21 squad too - any waterford fans enlighten me on the story at the RSC?

MariborKev
21/03/2005, 12:36 PM
Didn't this rule come in because Cork were withouth O'Flynn for one game last season and kicked up a fuss? Can't blame Longford for taking advantage of the rules that are there...

That's the way I remember it as well- but was it not two season ago. I remember that Dolan guerned in his Star column about it for ages

I think what is annoying Derry fans is the fact that the squad was announced on the 14th, yet this news has been discovered today. Further to that, Darryl Murphy is in the squad, yet Waterford haven't announced a postponement of their game

Troy.McClure
21/03/2005, 12:41 PM
This happens all the time. Whats the fuss? I cant see the problem in a club wanting to field its best players for a league match :confused:

noby
21/03/2005, 12:50 PM
I've heard Waterford have a man in the U21 squad too - any waterford fans enlighten me on the story at the RSC?

Murphy is called up too, but our game is going ahead. In fairness, the rule is there, so they've every right to use it.

Dick Long
21/03/2005, 12:54 PM
Darryl Murphy is in the U-21 squad but the game between Waterford United and Finn Harps is due to go ahead on Friday night.

Longfordian
21/03/2005, 1:31 PM
If it was just Paiso missing we'd have played I'd say but we've six players injured as well, we'd be in a severely weakened position so we had to take advantage of the rule as it was there. We've picked up 4 injuries in the last week so that's why it wasn't called off earlier

OneRedArmy
21/03/2005, 1:42 PM
There are two problems:

1) Missing one player shouldn't be enough to postpone a game and wasn't enough until the season before last. Yet again the clubs vote in a ridiculous rule.

2) Four days before the game, and a week after the squad was selected isn't enough notice. As Longfordian effectively said, the delay in requesting the postponement shows Longford are invoking this because of an injury crisis NOT the international call-up. Which is patently unfair.

Longfordian
21/03/2005, 1:48 PM
I agree to an extent, I think it should be two players called up as it used to be. It's harsh on Derry but I'm sure it'll happen to us at some point too, we had to look after our own interests first, selfish maybe but there you go that's football.

liambo
21/03/2005, 2:19 PM
hang your heads in shame whoever was behind this underhand sleight of rule
if derry have any say in it they should play the match on the last day of the season :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wiseguy
21/03/2005, 3:53 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about.Longford are just using the rule book to their advantage.I don't know of many teams in a similar position who wouldn't do the same.The rule is there and that's it.It may not be the most moral thing ever done but then the EL is such a stab in the back league you can't be to surprised.

ThatGuy
21/03/2005, 4:23 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about.Longford are just using the rule book to their advantage.I don't know of many teams in a similar position who wouldn't do the same.The rule is there and that's it.It may not be the most moral thing ever done but then the EL is such a stab in the back league you can't be to surprised.
I agree.

The rule is a sham and I don't know what idiots though that it would be a good idea. However, Longford are doing nothing wrong, they are playing it by the book. Bloody Eircom League :mad:

pete
21/03/2005, 4:50 PM
The cliubs voted for the change & since only a few clubs have current u-21 internationals a majority of the other clubs must have voted for this.

With summer football is unlikely to occur for too many games but again should also be rule that clubs have to postpone games asap.

IMO no lcub should be allowed to postpone a game when less than say 2 weeks to play game & should also have to nominate rescheduled game at the same time.

NY Hoop
23/03/2005, 12:29 PM
Stupid rule. If there were 3 or 4 players I could see why the game would be off but one player?! Longford taking the p1ss there.

Everyone's a loser here. Derry will get a lower gate and not as many away fans on the night. Same old story 1 step forward 2 back.

KOH

thecorner
24/03/2005, 3:26 AM
kevin doyle also in the squad but city game going ahead

rerun
24/03/2005, 7:36 AM
2) Four days before the game, and a week after the squad was selected isn't enough notice. As Longfordian effectively said, the delay in requesting the postponement shows Longford are invoking this because of an injury crisis NOT the international call-up. Which is patently unfair.

Is there a rule concerning the amount of notice that has to be given when requesting a postponement? If there isn't there probably should be. I'd like to know if there is and if Derry let them away with it, i.e. not using the rulebook to their advantage.

Incidentally, what is the rulebook? Is there a link to it somewhere on the web?

A face
24/03/2005, 11:46 AM
kevin doyle also in the squad but city game going ahead

That because Don Givens is an árse-hole, and a damn good one at that.

Lads, the rule is in place to facilitate players in the league player for their country at every level. We'd be screaming blue murder if it wasn't place. It is up to the clubs to invoke the rule but they are totally entitled to do it. It is a case of damned if you do, damn if you dont. But the main thing is playerswho are good enough have the opportuntiy to play which is another reason for quality players to stay here, now that they are being picked even if Givens is a complete dirt-bag

monutdfc
24/03/2005, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure the rule came in as a result of Pat Dolan's complaints when John O'Flynn was called up for Ireland's U-21's.
In fairness, any player in the international U-21 set-up is probably going to be a key player for their eircom League team.

De Town
24/03/2005, 12:43 PM
Not ONE but TWO. Seán Dillon has also been called up. Missing two of our first choice back four because of international commitments ain't a minor matter. Shame on you Longfordian for not pointing this out !!
has he :confused:

Longfordian
24/03/2005, 1:10 PM
I didn't know Dillon had been called up..Consider me suitably ashamed then if he has. He should be in the squad but that's a different matter.

noby
24/03/2005, 1:33 PM
Seán Dillon has also been called up.

Are you sure? I thought it was just Murphy and Paisley from eL, with a late call for Doyle

De Town
24/03/2005, 1:35 PM
Are you sure? I thought it was just Murphy and Paisley from eL, with a late call for Doyle
Thats what I thought aswell :confused:

Dillo
24/03/2005, 1:57 PM
Don't think Dillo has been called up to be honest. I'm glad that the Derry game has been called off and I'm fully in favour of anything advantageous to Longford Town FC. We are coming off the back of two defeats. Things are not going according to plan so it's best for LTFC that this game is rescheduled.

town73
24/03/2005, 4:01 PM
Dillon was called into the U21 squad last year as a late replacement for Kevin Foley (Luton Town) for the friendly against Bulgaria, but was not included in the squad for the Israel game.

dortie
24/03/2005, 5:43 PM
Not ONE but TWO. Seán Dillon has also been called up. Missing two of our first choice back four because of international commitments ain't a minor matter. Shame on you Longfordian for not pointing this out !!

Did both of them play in your first game ??

Boy i didnt like Longford but i despise them even more now.

Longfordian
24/03/2005, 8:44 PM
We took advantage of the rules, apologies to Derry but ye acted to your club's advantage with Thursday nights for years. I've said elsewhere we kept Derry City fully informed every step of the way as to our thinking, Jim Roddy accepted it, though he was naturally disappointed. If ye had six injuries and the option to call the game off I'd be very surprised if ye didn't.

We played 51 games last year, more than any other club and never called one off except our very first game due to a waterlogged pitch, don't slate us for using the rules to our advantage just once. I have sympathy for Derry I genuinely do, but it was in our best interest not to play and we acted within the rules by choosing not to, put pressure on your delegate to change it at the next AGM.

He's starting tomorrow night for the U21s at left full by the way

monkey magic
07/04/2005, 6:06 PM

dont be such a drama queen , all town have done is taken advantage of the rules in place, end of story... and anyone who thought longford were a full time outfit knows f**k all bout the club, am i correct in saying were still the only prem division club with a part time manager???