PDA

View Full Version : eircom League Weekly - Mon 21st - 11.25

Pages : [1] 2

A face
20/03/2005, 9:02 PM
Its back folks

Dont miss it ....

Set you alarms to 23.25

Who will be on it is the question though ???

CollegeTillIDie
20/03/2005, 9:30 PM
Seeing as RIco is in Cork I would guess Roddy Collins and Noel King? ;)

pete
20/03/2005, 10:20 PM

Well Dolan has already been on Setanta & RTE so maybe he'll go for the hat trick?

He was in Ballybofey for Harps-City game too. :rolleyes:

cheekyais
20/03/2005, 10:21 PM

You'd never know Pat Dolan might go on it now instead of Rico.

Slash/ED
21/03/2005, 12:08 AM
No reason why Rico can't keep doing it. Didn't Kinger do it while at Harps and you can't get rid of Roddy even when managing Dublin/Rovers. It'll be the aul "dream team" of Rico and Kinger with Welch as the presenter I reckon.

A face
21/03/2005, 1:00 AM
Didn't Kinger do it while at Harps

Ahh ... i think this is a bit different now, all jokes aside, Rico is with City now. Dont think his attention should be divided to be honest.

Kinger aint a great role model now either ... is he, in fairness .... he trained the womens team and said he wanted them to be "the kings of Europe" .... he should have rotten fruit thrown at him where ever he goes :D

Roo69
21/03/2005, 8:55 AM
No Cameras at the Bray Vs. Pats match - they missed a great match :(

BohDiddley
21/03/2005, 12:25 PM
Why, oh why, does it have to be so late?

Éanna
21/03/2005, 12:27 PM
Why, oh why, does it have to be so late?
because Noel King's ties are unsuitable for children

noby
21/03/2005, 12:55 PM
because Noel King's ties are unsuitable for children

That reminds me: I must turn down the colour on my tv, what with Kinger's ties and tv3's ACME orange-glo make-up

carrickharp
21/03/2005, 1:02 PM
because Noel King's ties are unsuitable for children :D

Noel King is unsuitable for football full stop :p

joeSoap
21/03/2005, 1:18 PM
Don't think TV3 will allow Shoddy in the door again after he stood them up last season when he was supposed to be a pundit but failed to show because of his shameful Dublin City departure.

GalwayFrancis
21/03/2005, 1:52 PM
does anyone no if they'll be showing anything from the first division this season?

carrickharp
21/03/2005, 2:44 PM
does anyone no if they'll be showing anything from the first division this season?
That would only happen if one of the big Dublin teams were in the first division :rolleyes:

GalwayFrancis
21/03/2005, 3:19 PM
That would only happen if one of the big Dublin teams were in the first division :rolleyes:

so im guessing there were no cameras up in monaghan on sunday

BohDiddley
21/03/2005, 5:10 PM
Ah lads. You've made your point.
Are we going to have to wade through this on every single thread? How about a separate sub-category for malcontents from the outer reaches of EL? Failing that, a separate thread is warranted to satisfactorily nurse these shocking grievances.
I know I'm asking for it, but it's really not our fault that RTEngerland wants to concentrate on the clubs with most domestic support. Getting them to cover anything at all is an achievement. If your neck was on the block for sports audiences, would you really put on Longford or Monaghan instead of Bohs, Pats or Cork?

fitzknows
21/03/2005, 5:35 PM
Was Dolan ever on Eircom League Weekly before?
That sudio always looked liked a tight fit when Welch, Rico & King were there together.
Could be pushing the boat out a bit squeezing Dolan in.

GalwayFrancis
21/03/2005, 6:06 PM
Was Dolan ever on Eircom League Weekly before?
That sudio always looked liked a tight fit when Welch, Rico & King were there together.
Could be pushing the boat out a bit squeezing Dolan in.

dolan is fine for comentary but way too big for television

Slash/ED
21/03/2005, 11:14 PM
I have to say, I was impressed with EL Weekly this week. The live matches will help it alot because the presentation is better and you get the different angles, they even had more than one camera at Drogheda Derry. Just as well too, Murphys goals were a bit special. I reckon Welch is getting better as a presenter too and even Kinger and Scully were good, still not all matches covered though, but apart from that it looked better this year.

harry crumb
21/03/2005, 11:17 PM
Who provided the extra camera at Drogheda. That shot by Murphy was amazing.

Éanna
21/03/2005, 11:29 PM
I thought it was good tonight alright. King was still his usual infuriating self, but extra camera angles helped. Here's hoping it keeps this up

LFC in Exile
22/03/2005, 8:52 AM

Will Rovers count when they go down? :)

LFC in Exile
22/03/2005, 8:53 AM
but it's really not our fault that RTEngerland wants to concentrate on the clubs with most domestic support.

But it is your fault BohDiddley (if that is your real name). You specifically and personally - and if I ever catch you! :D

paudie
22/03/2005, 9:18 AM

In fairness, goals from Sligo - Kildare were shown.

Ash
22/03/2005, 9:39 AM
I presume someone from Sligo Rovers done the recording and
sent the tape in to TV3, like what Finn Harps used to do?

If so, as much as I hate them :D , fair play.

paudie
22/03/2005, 9:45 AM
But it is your fault BohDiddley (if that is your real name). You specifically and personally - and if I ever catch you! :D

I noticed they showed the venue for Limerick's home game this weekend as being Pike Rovers.

Time for an email to TV3 to set them straight.

joeSoap
22/03/2005, 10:00 AM
Already done :mad:

bluemovie
22/03/2005, 11:27 AM
I think the show is still rubbish, but I never miss it. They only show 4 or 5 incidents from each game so why do they have to talk us through each of them after as if we hadn't seen them...."there's O'Callaghan's shot coming back off the post"?

It'd be better if they offered some proper analysis instead of going over the same old ground....professionalism/training twice a day/Cork will be there or thereabouts.

It needs to be on earlier too so kids know we play football in Ireland too. Can they not squeeze it into their busy Prime Time schedule with Just Shoot Me and films about brave women?

And a personal moan...why did they choose to show Sligo for 5 seconds ahead of the cup final repeat in Longford?

pete
22/03/2005, 11:40 AM
I think the show is still rubbish, but I never miss it. They only show 4 or 5 incidents from each game so why do they have to talk us through each of them after as if we hadn't seen them...."there's O'Callaghan's shot coming back off the post"?

It'd be better if they offered some proper analysis instead of going over the same old ground....professionalism/training twice a day/Cork will be there or thereabouts.

Agree. Still community tv at its best.

I wonder if you played all the clips they showed back to back would you get 5 minutes of action?

eL weekly never analyses anything as you say just reshows the goals showed.

pineapple stu
22/03/2005, 12:42 PM
Don't understand how people are so positive about last night's programme - I thought it was the same tired rubbish again. Correction - the same tired rubbsh but with an extra camera at two games. The cameramen at the Shels-UCD and Sligo-Kildare game were so inept they could hardly keep the ball in the frame, and our goal was pretty much missed because of this. There was a bit where a Rovers lad lunged in at a Bohs player and the clip was flashed up in the analysis before King even had time to mention it - what's the point?! I don't need expert panellists to tell me how good a shot from 20 yards which hit the post was. The analysis should focus on penalty incidents, red card incidents and teams' tactics (e.g. recurring examples of weak defending). The voice over during the action is very annoying - monotonous and dull, repeating the same phrases over and over ("On x minutes this happened, and then on y minutes, this happened") and often goes way ahead of the action.

I recorded it once to watch it the next day - think there weren't even five minutes of action in the whole show.

Why can't they show a brief montage of the goals (like MotD) at the end rather than fading out the studio? Would at least look better!

And UCD's name isn't in the circular list of teams on the opening credits!!! :mad: :p

bluemovie
22/03/2005, 1:28 PM
I was thinking that too, Pineapple. A few of the goals and a freezeframe at the end would be the easiest thing in the world to do instead of a last lingering look at Trevor's belly.

It was funny watching them discuss whether or not the Cork penalty decision was right. You'd see it more clearly from the Mir Space Station

Cosmo
22/03/2005, 3:35 PM
Sorry I stayed up for it to be honest - was falling asleep but forced myself to stay up for it just to see Murphys goals - wont be as pushed next week to stay up for it

Roo69
22/03/2005, 3:51 PM
The interviwer at the end of the Shels Vs. UCD game was a mockery, sounded like a bloke they had just grabbed off the street.

Extra camera angle from Drogs Vs. Derry match was a nice edition.

No Bray Vs. Pats highlights :mad: missed 3 good goals there.

Other than that same old same old, but it's better than nothing i suppose.

John83
22/03/2005, 4:30 PM
That shot by Murphy was amazing.
Absolutely.

gael353
22/03/2005, 5:51 PM
I thought it was the worse ever. Im trying to get my brother into EL and asked him to stay up and watch it with me, but what a waste! The "acting" of the three amigos when they came back to studio was shocking, then the extra camera shot from Drogs/Derry wow like yet another camera that missed the first goal and what do the boys say, "if you thought that looked good just wait till you see it on THE OTHER CAMERA! Then Kinger goes "oh and usually we only have ONE camera!!!! letting us know like that they have two, sweet jesus! And of course the whole make up of the show is briep highlights followed by slow mo same highlights of the same goals/incidents etc

Cheap cheap cheap!

dortie
22/03/2005, 6:46 PM
Noel Kings actually not bad, not like dummy Scully sitting there to fill a seat. What annoys me with EL tv coverage is the games they cover, always the likes of $hels or Bohs regardless what team they are playing. I dont mind watching highlights of other games but for god sake spread it about.

A face
22/03/2005, 7:22 PM
That is a valid point about keeping the ball / action in the frame ... that is basic camera work. It aint that hard in fairness.

If a club were to consider taking footage and taping their games, i would have thought that the first step would be to speak to someone on how to use it, even approach a media studies course and try and draft in a few students to do it for them.

Again, it is down to the clubs to provide the quality footage, it is in their own interest at the end of the day.

Another point ... lads ... if you think something is not up to scratch or something could be improved ... contact them and tell them, feedback is probably what they are crying out for. Then again it is easy to tear strips of something but when it comes to a suggestion on how to imrove it, people are very scarce, its always the way.

ilovejam
22/03/2005, 8:31 PM
No Bray Vs. Pats highlights :mad: missed 3 good goals there.

.[/QUOTE]
isn't a part of the deal about getting the Uefa A licence that you have to have a safe gantry??? Upstairs in the Bowlers' your best bet!! :D :p

pete
22/03/2005, 9:29 PM
Setanta have only covered 2 "domestic" games so far & their coverage is excellent, proper preparation, analysts, enough cameras, well up to RTE standard already.

TV3 are cheap sh!tes who get clubs to "donate" the footage & know they have niche captive audience at late night (someone said they get 100k viewers or such) & are definitely not losing cash with the programme.

BobtheDrog
22/03/2005, 9:33 PM
think the camera behind the goal belongs to the club it was there for the leeds game, also felt it was perfectly placed to show that murphys first goal whilst brilliant did sum very strange things in the air not suprised dan cudnt read its flight

iceman
22/03/2005, 9:47 PM
The footage from United Park was provided by the club and not TV3.

Martinho II
22/03/2005, 9:59 PM
so to summarise the games that were shown last night were:

bohs shams
shels ucd
derry drogs
sligo kildare

i missed the first few minutes. was there any other goals shown?

pete
22/03/2005, 10:00 PM
harps v city, both goals shown

OneRedArmy
22/03/2005, 10:49 PM
it was perfectly placed to show that murphys first goal whilst brilliant did sum very strange things in the air not suprised dan cudnt read its flight

its called "swerve" bob. Most of the good players these days can do it....

holidaysong
22/03/2005, 11:32 PM
My only fault was for this weeks fixtures they had:

Dundalk vs. Kilkenny for Thurday not Kilkenny vs. Dundalk for Friday as it has been changed. :p

NY Hoop
23/03/2005, 12:38 PM
so to summarise the games that were shown last night were:

bohs shams
shels ucd
derry drogs
sligo kildare

i missed the first few minutes. was there any other goals shown?

Eh that's b**z Rovers.

Anyway the only part of the programme that has improved is the music! Why oh why can it not be on at 10pm for an hour? Also I dont agree with showing first division UNLESS ALL premier games are shown. The Bray game wasnt shown but the sligo one was? :confused:

I dont care who is in the studio as long as ALL the premier games are shown. And Roddy will be making an appearance this season.

Having said all that at least we have an EL programme after all the years of ignoring us from rtengland.

See yis in TA! :D

KOH

bluemovie
12/04/2005, 12:33 PM
Was it just me or was Eircom League Weekly half-decent last night? The Bray Drogs game had all you could really ask for....build-up, team news, good highlights, good reporting from Des Curran (who seems to be the most knowledgeable of them), plenty of interviews and ok analysis. They showed the fans before the Derry game so as to create atmosphere and had a decent discussion after it about shels' squad a nd Glen Crowe....beats just talking through the goals. They showed 13 or 14 incidents from the Blues v Bohs game even if they still ignored us in the analysis to focus on the Dublin club. Highlights from two First Division games and Setanta Cup. On the down side, no camera at three Premier games. On the whole though, a step in the right direction.

harry crumb
12/04/2005, 12:38 PM
They should extend it to one hour.

The Shamrock Rovers story that broke yesterday was only discussed for about 2 minutes and should have been given more time.

whats the song the Derry fans were singing about being Randy?

KR's Post
12/04/2005, 12:40 PM
whats the song the Derry fans were singing about being Randy?
They all live in a randy brandywell, a randy brandywell, a randy brandywell...........................(Yellow submarine) Suprised me to... I was going to post exact same thing!!!!! ;)

pineapple stu
12/04/2005, 12:41 PM
Just you, I thought. Maybe they showed (a small bit) more of the games, but apart from that, it was still same old, same old. Half the Bray-Drogs highlights were takn up with the warm-up at the start! No cameras at Cork-UCD (or else nothing to show! :) ), as you pointed out, as well as two other games. Sligo game was introduced as being their biggest crowd of the season and yet the three-quarters of the ground shown were empty almost (I know the camera is on the same side as the big stand, but it just looked like their biggest crowd of the season was about 50 people - negative reinforcement and all that). I don't know why they can't at least slow down the analysis and show us something rather than talk over the goals again - silly. King and Scully obviously hadn't seen the games before and were just making things up on the spot - kept on saying how the highlights showed x were the better team.