PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a space filler

Derek
20/03/2005, 9:24 AM
SO, now we have a kids section, what do we talk about?

Fixtures and results?
State of the FAI?
Summer of winter soccer?
Lack of investment?
Price of kit?
Who are the best suppliers of kit?
Have we enough all Ireland competition?
Have we too much competition?
Do we need more in league fixtures?
Are the managers and coaches to concerned about winning?
How to run a club?
How not to run a club?
Any good trips abroad for tournaments?
Any good trips at home for tournaments?
How to get the best out of the kids?
How to keep them enjoying themselves?

I can't think of any thing. ;)

MervilleUnited
20/03/2005, 9:49 PM
SO, now we have a kids section, what do we talk about?

Fixtures and results: Structures a disaster :
State of the FAI: All proposals from them cost clubs cash
Summer of winter soccer:Logic of playing on mudbaths is?
Lack of investment: Well, the prison investment programme is expanded?!, I HOPE!! :confused:
Price of kit: Well they could bring thier own I suppose, Squad Numbers?
Who are the best suppliers of kit: The free ones
Have we enough all Ireland competition: No
Have we too much competition: yes
Do we need more in league fixtures: More games yes, Competition no
Are the managers and coaches to concerned about winning: Most not!
How to run a club: Over to you
How not to run a club:Over to you
Any good trips abroad for tournaments:Over to you
Any good trips at home for tournaments:Over to you
How to get the best out of the kids:Over to you
How to keep them enjoying themselves:Over to you

I can't think of any thing. ;)
See next post! :D

MervilleUnited
20/03/2005, 10:01 PM
In the age where the man in the middle is the subject of abuse, from some players Managers, coaches etc, (But not all by any means!), any ideas on reform? We need to attract more referees ASAP!

We have a crisis in kids soccer here in the west, and it results in a shortening of fixture lists.

Also, question for Derek, I believe that for Kids Soccer in the big smoke, games are refereed by club officials. Great idea, and the subject of debate over here. How are they covered for insurance, qualifications, reporting of disiplinary issues etc? Info on this would be invaluable in getting kids more games. Here in the NW the average club plays 14 games over an 9 month period :mad: , with no organised soccer for 10s and Under.

As somebody wise once said: Information is the Power behind change!!

Derek
20/03/2005, 11:04 PM
Club officials ref'ing their own club teams is great.
Club officials ref'ing their own club teams is crap.

Both statements are true believe it or not, I ref myself aswell as coach.

The problems start on the sideline, if you can't control the managers and parents then my friend you are doomed.

The first thing to do is talk to the adults on the sideline before the games, once you have established your position then you have some chance. I know, I know that we now have rules to stop this screaming and shouting but it does not work. It's great if both sets of coaches and parents are civilised(and I don't use that word lightly) because the way some people behave in totally nuts, sometimes I have feared for my own safety and all this at an under seven game.

But don't get too worried that the end of the world is nigh most people on the sideline are civilised and it is only occasionaly that people go loopy.

Anyway back to the point about club officals ref'ing their own clubs. If you can not be sure that the person doing the job is 100% impersial then do not let them ref, it's not fair on the kids and it I promise you will ahve trouble.

Now, the story in the big smoke is, for the kids leagues that I know about

North Dublin Schoolboy/girl league:
For almost all games t whatever the age group they will supply a ref. This is by far the best way to do it, the team I coach play in this league and it is one of the reasons we stay with them.

Dublin district schoolboy league:
They on the other hand do not supply ref's for every game, this is a disaster. What happens is this. Let say team x play at home against team y. The ref is from team x and he/she gives disissions that are shall we say sympathic to team x. Apart from the trouble that it will cause on the day on that game, wait a see how it will go when team x travel to play team y. I ahve seen this with my own eyes you would have to see s the type of thing that happens to believe it.

By all means let your club officals ref the game but make sure they have some sort of refing badge and that they are 100% imparsial, if you follow these simple guidelines then you should have no problem.

The most amazing thing in all this is that it will be the adults that cause most of if not all of the problems so heed my warning talk to the adults before the game.

Now the organised soccer for under 10s, have a look at www.a2zsoccer.com, look in the local leagues section and look for the leagues previously mentioned. For instance I coach u8's in the N.D.S.L. they have 16 divisions with each division consisting of 6 teams and it's like that for most of the age groups. So if you can imagine in the under 8's alone each sat morn you have 48 games, they even have cups competitions. This is for all age groups, so every weekend on almost every piece of grass you will find a game of soccer.

I think the leagues in dublin are run very well and the competition is great once the adults are kept under control.

Ps if I made any type'os I'm sorry.

MervilleUnited
21/03/2005, 6:41 PM
Cheers for that, it probably is just common sence at the end of the day :)

Last year, after a total lack of urgency to look at the crisis (Here in the SL League we have about 6 referees available on a saturday for over 60 teams!), i proposed that each club provide an associate referee to cover thier home games. Clubs said that they simply could not get anyone interested in thier locality. However after overtones that it may be forced on them to have unqualified refs, about 8 more referees were brought on board, and it has improved. However, the fact remains that if we had a ratio of one referee per club, (22 Clubs) a sea change could take place.

Any ideas on how to make that happen? :ball:

patsh
22/03/2005, 3:51 PM
Where would be a good place to get some guidance on coaching for kids?

I'm talking about training drills and routines which are interesting but will help to boost the skill level as well.

drummerboy
22/03/2005, 4:45 PM
Derek, my lad plays in the DDSL, U7 and most matches this season a referee has been supplied by the league.

stojkovic
22/03/2005, 5:14 PM
Where would be a good place to get some guidance on coaching for kids?

I'm talking about training drills and routines which are interesting but will help to boost the skill level as well.
The FAI Coaching Department.
Its the only part of that institution that is properly run.
Great courses from beginner through to UEFA 'A' licence.

stojkovic
22/03/2005, 5:18 PM
REFEREES

The DDSL provide referees for all 11-a-side games in Dublin (U-11 upwards).
For the seven-a-side section (U-7 to U-10) the home club has to provide an "associated ref" which is basically a club official who tries to be impartial. The DDSL can provide a ref if you need.

Not sure how it works with the recently introduced 9-a-side U-10s.

Parents should be banned from schoolboy football - any ref will tell you that.

Derek
22/03/2005, 10:36 PM
REFEREES

The DDSL provide referees for all 11-a-side games in Dublin (U-11 upwards).
For the seven-a-side section (U-7 to U-10) the home club has to provide an "associated ref" which is basically a club official who tries to be impartial. The DDSL can provide a ref if you need.

Not sure how it works with the recently introduced 9-a-side U-10s.

Parents should be banned from schoolboy football - any ref will tell you that.

Yes you are correct with your points, but, "associated ref" can cause problems aswell. The situation I'm talking about is not for every game, you may ref a hundred games with no problems but one bad one and it can turn you off for life( or a least the rest of the season).

MervilleUnited
24/03/2005, 7:02 PM
I would love to know how the DDSL etc recruit thier Refs! I have written articles in local media saying that kids soccer will die out, kaput, over, if more refs are not brought on board. Courses are advertised on a regular basis! Appeals go out!

Nothing has Happened! :(

stojkovic
25/03/2005, 3:51 PM
There are some really great refs out there at DDSL and LSL level. You can nearly tell before a game when talking to the ref if he's gonna be good or not. The ones who enjoy what they are doing are usually the good ones. Some of the Romanian refs are excellent (some are ex pros).

If find the best way is to humour them before the game (Rijkaard style :) ).
You know tell him he's crap and ask is he gonna send you off again. Usually they laugh and its an ice breaker and you build a relationship with them. I mean they are human after all, arent they !

If I wasnt involved with a schoolboy team (saturday) AND and junior team (sunday), then I would certainly become a ref. Its for the love of the game.

I know of refs who were followed home after a game and stalked while going shopping with their kids, its horrendous. Luckily the league gave the player a ten year ban. Problem is he will go and play in another league as there is about six leagues in Dublin.

Mad Moose
28/03/2005, 2:21 PM
The FAI Coaching Department.
Its the only part of that institution that is properly run.
Great courses from beginner through to UEFA 'A' licence.

Our entire league sat an FAI Coaching Course last week. Absolutely fantastic. Run by Regional Development Officers the guy pulled out all the stops to facilitate our league. No doubt the FAI is getting it right on this one. They have a long way to go with everything else mind.

Brendan