PDA

View Full Version : LoI Fixtures 11 May to 15 May

Pages : [1] 2

Ezeikial
10/05/2018, 10:41 AM
Some big matches this weekend and early next week.

Derry have two big matches at the Brandywell taking on Cork on Friday and then Dundalk on Monday, while Waterford travel to Tallaght to meet Shamrock Rovers on Friday.

In his increasingly amusing pre-match press conferences John Caulfield complains about Derry having an advantage with their pitch, the difficulties Cork have preparing for the match, and then highlights Derry's strong home record. It sounds like he is excusing his players in advance, and then says:

There’s no point in making excuses, which we don’t do.
http://www.the42.ie/john-caulfield-derry-dundalk-artificial-pitches-advantage-4002123-May2018/

Mr A
10/05/2018, 11:49 AM
Manager building up opposition and downplaying his own team SHOCK!

brendy_éire
10/05/2018, 12:02 PM
Difficult weekend for ourselves alright. The match tomorrow is looking like it'll sell out.

I don't really think the plastic pitch is much of an advantage these days. All teams are training on them, so should be well used to it by now.
That article just seems to a bit of a whinge at plastic pitches in general. It's very wishful thinking from Caulfield to speculate that they could be banned in the future. But yeah, not making excuses.

Ezeikial
10/05/2018, 5:28 PM
Manager building up opposition and downplaying his own team SHOCK!

He did that too (well the first part anyway):

At the same time, they have a very, very good home record, they’re unbeaten, they’ve scored lots of goals and they have a dynamic team.”

Talking about the pitch being an advantage to Derry City (or Dundalk) serves no purpose - it is hardly likely to make the opposition players more complacent or less committed!

While it might amuse (or possibly irritate) some opposition fans, it can give some players an 'out' for a poor performance.

I regret that the controversies about the Oriel Park pitch seem to have faded away - it was a brilliant psychological edge when managers rattled on about it before the match, or when the likes of Stephen McPhail or Keith Fahey refused to play on it. I think some players and teams were resigned to defeat before the match ever started.

Your home pitch should be an advantage!

micls
10/05/2018, 6:32 PM
All teams are training on them, so should be well used to it by now.

A bit in the off season, if the grass pitch is completely unusable.

Would most clubs train on them normally? I'd have thought more would train on grass, to be similar to home games?

Nesta99
10/05/2018, 8:22 PM
Your home pitch should be an advantage!

Corks certainly was to them v Dundalk a couple of weeks ago! Dundalk train on grass prior to away games bar Derry now probably and in Oriel prior to home games and now Derry.

Candystripe
10/05/2018, 9:09 PM
Corks certainly was to them v Dundalk a couple of weeks ago! Dundalk train on grass prior to away games bar Derry now probably and in Oriel prior to home games and now Derry.

I think Derry do the same. The Brandywell complex still has the grass pitch where the new greyhound track is beside the stadium.

wonder88
11/05/2018, 10:02 PM
At last a proper performance from Galway tonight, dominated from the start, two great goals plus wasted a number of great chances. Attitude was spot on, so need to build on this now. First division very competitive this year. The number 7 of UCD was a threat a few times, but they were well beaten.

Candystripe
11/05/2018, 10:15 PM
Derry dominated most of the game v Cork and both team's had their chances to win it. Derry hit the post in the last minute.

Match was sold out although the council need to get the official capacity sorted as Derry only being allowed to sell a certain amount of tickets until the stadium is allowed to be at full capacity is a joke.

patrickccfc
11/05/2018, 10:22 PM
Listened to the last 10 minutes or so on the radio. Injury time sounded mental with derry hitting the post, then we go up the other end and nearly get a winner. Definitely a good point at a tough ground to go to.

A point the difference now after dundalks late winner

NeverFeltBetter
11/05/2018, 10:30 PM
Very bad week for Limerick, with the club/fan spat, the owners company going into liquidation and now another home loss without a goal. Even in 9th the drop seems more likely than not, and if going to part-time next year, might be a mercy.

Dalymountrower
11/05/2018, 10:43 PM
Three top class goals from Bohs tonight.Bray in deep trouble.

Ezeikial
11/05/2018, 10:46 PM
Three top class goals from Bohs tonight.Bray in deep trouble.

That's a really important win for Bohs to move 6 points clear of the relegation playoff spot.

Could Shamrock Rovers now get sucked in to a relegation fight?

ToberonaTornado
11/05/2018, 11:09 PM
Massey cross,Hoban heads it home,89 minutes and 2-1 for Dundalk.Jarvis clears off the line deep into injury time!
Them's the kinda results you need when you're in a tight title tussle!
Dundalk not great tonight by any stretch,but hey.....great to get past Sligo and this one.

ger121
11/05/2018, 11:45 PM
Back to back wins. Hope that’s not the last time I get to say that this season. Little bit of light between us and play-off spot.

Charlie Darwin
12/05/2018, 1:33 AM
Weird game. We were awful in the first half against a Waterford team who can clearly play a lot of football. Much better in the second half and could have nicked a win with a bit more cutting edge, but just baffling we were in that situation to begin with. Waterford had one centre half for god's sake.

Nesta99
12/05/2018, 4:02 AM
At last a proper performance from Galway tonight, dominated from the start, two great goals plus wasted a number of great chances. Attitude was spot on, so need to build on this now. First division very competitive this year. The number 7 of UCD was a threat a few times, but they were well beaten.

How's Carlton getting on?

exiled_gufc_fan
12/05/2018, 6:09 AM
Two cracking goals at Eamonn Deacy Park

https://youtu.be/ipqcpMtDY9c

Paulgufc
12/05/2018, 7:47 AM
How's Carlton getting on?
Looks electric when running directly at full backs. Generally he’s done well and looks a player. Has started a few games lately but mainly used as an impact sub to run at tired defences. Keegan has tried so many different players this season already but I think with the performance last night he might settle on that team as his best 11. That leaves Carlton on the bench which is a bit hard on him. I think he’s due to go back to ye in July is he? Would love to keep him if we could.

Ezeikial
12/05/2018, 8:54 AM
An important 3 points for Dundalk last night, with Pat Hoban getting his 10th & 11th goals of the season

Sligo got a dubious penalty - I expect that Soccer Republic cameras will show it was a poor decision by the linesman - but were limited if difficult opponents. Rys McCabe one of the few to show some creative quality, although John Mahon and Kyle McFadden were decent at centre back.

That said, Sligo could easily have snatched a draw at the end. Based on the workrate and effort, I expect that the Sligo results will improve over the rest of the season

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2018, 9:30 AM
0-0 a fair result between Shels and Harps last night. Neither goalkeeper had a save to make. Harps hit the crossbar and Ciaran O'Connor blew a one on one late on but aside from that very little chances were created.
It wasn't a totally terrible game though, and considering Harps ended with one defender on the pitch, we done quite well.

Ezeikial
12/05/2018, 9:58 AM
Interesting statistic posted on Twitter by journalist James Rogers

James Rogers
‏@jamesdundalk
Tonight's win means Stephen Kenny has now taken 400 points from his 181 matches in charge of Dundalk

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 5281458176 (https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status/995080585281458176)

That averages at just over 2.2 points per match stretching over 6 seasons - outstanding!

I wonder has how does that compare with other successful managers in the recent past?

micls
12/05/2018, 10:45 AM
Derry dominated most of the game v Cork and both team's had their chances to win it. Derry hit the post in the last minute.

Match was sold out although the council need to get the official capacity sorted as Derry only being allowed to sell a certain amount of tickets until the stadium is allowed to be at full capacity is a joke.

Second half bias there. You barely touched the ball first half. We controlled it.

You came out fighting second half and dominated that half, though we perked up a bit when Sadlier and Beattie came on.

We can't keep missing that amount of chances, 2 off the line and 2 more from 6 yards. Derry probably should have won it at the end with the header off the post.

Very entertaining 0-0. Good performance from us decent point. Good to keep a clean sheet with another change in the back four.

Hopefully you can take something from dundalk Monday!

micls
12/05/2018, 10:56 AM
Interesting statistic posted on Twitter by journalist James Rogers

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 5281458176 (https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status/995080585281458176)

JC 2.16
Shiels 1.71
Brsdley 1.6
That averages at just over 2.2 points per match stretching over 6 seasons - outstanding!

I wonder has how does that compare with other successful managers in the recent past?

This was posted on our forum before, based on while career though. Will have changed a bit since but not much.

http://www.ccfcforum.com/uploads/monthly_2018_01/FDCAB418-200D-40FA-87C2-4EC2C5CBDF92.jpeg.2581d315847795c6788a8ebdaec9ded1 .jpeg

micls
12/05/2018, 11:00 AM
Can't edit post

Caulfield 2.16
Shiels 1.71
Bradley 1.6

Ezeikial
12/05/2018, 3:25 PM
Can't edit post

Caulfield 2.16
Shiels 1.71
Bradley 1.6

That analysis appears to have been done at the end of last season for 2014 - 2017 inclusive and even if you add in the additional 16 league games this season John Caulfields average points per match remain unaltered at 2.16 per match

It's an impressive record, especially when you consider that he won only 1 league title in those 4 years

oriel
12/05/2018, 3:43 PM
Trophies and more so League titles are the bench mark, Kenny is leading that in the current period v Caulfield from 2013 on a 3-1 basis, Cork have 2 FAI Cups to 1 for Dundalk, both have one double each, not too much in it, if either win it this year it will make further interesting analysis, either 4-2 or 3-2.

On last nights game, Dundalk only played in patches, overall it wasn't a great performance, Sligo will prob think they should have taken a point, but Dundalk kept at it, and great move and a terrific finish by Hoban with one minute to go. Hairy last few mins, but got there in the end.

What a tough match now on Monday, but at the same time its an opportunity to pull a few points clear, even a draw puts us back on top.

micls
12/05/2018, 3:56 PM
That analysis appears to have been done at the end of last season for 2014 - 2017 inclusive and even if you add in the additional 16 league games this season John Caulfields average points per match remain unaltered at 2.16 per match

It's an impressive record, especially when you consider that he won only 1 league title in those 4 years

Definitely. I think dundalk and Kennys success played a big part in caulfields record too.

Very impressive form Caulfield too considering it's his first LOI management role and we finished 6th when he took over. I'm not sure it's sustainable over a longer career, but a great start nonetheless.

micls
12/05/2018, 3:59 PM
Trophies and more so League titles are the bench mark, Kenny is leading that in the current period v Caulfield from 2013 on a 3-1 basis, Cork have 2 FAI Cups to 1 for Dundalk, both have one double each, not too much in it, if either win it this year it will make further interesting analysis, either 4-2 or 3-2.

I don't think the direct comparison in those years matters much to be honest. We were in a very different position when caulfield came in than dundalk were that year. Similarly, Kenny brought dundalk up hugely the year he took over. Kenny had also done it with multiple clubs, which is impressive. And he's got a great record of European achievements. Caulfields early in his career, it would be along time before he can be said to match Kenny in those terms.

Both managers have done excellently in recent years though, with their teams.

dundalkfc10
13/05/2018, 1:14 AM
An important 3 points for Dundalk last night, with Pat Hoban getting his 10th & 11th goals of the season

Sligo got a dubious penalty - I expect that Soccer Republic cameras will show it was a poor decision by the linesman - but were limited if difficult opponents. Rys McCabe one of the few to show some creative quality, although John Mahon and Kyle McFadden were decent at centre back.

That said, Sligo could easily have snatched a draw at the end. Based on the workrate and effort, I expect that the Sligo results will improve over the rest of the season

Your obvs on the wind up

It was 100% a penalty.

We were not great, Connolly was good (€40,000)

3 points is 3 points

Ezeikial
13/05/2018, 8:14 AM
Your obvs on the wind up

It was 100% a penalty.

You appear certain about the penalty. Players have expressed a contrary view. Almost all supporters I spoke to were doubtful. Connolly was hesitant. I remain dubious about it being a correct decision. SR might clarify it on Monday

Vive la difference !

Nah Nah Nah Nah
13/05/2018, 1:25 PM
Thought it was definite penalty. We could have knicked a point right at the end but Hobans winner was most certainly coming and thought Dundalk deserved the 3 points.

Ezeikial
13/05/2018, 3:16 PM
Kenny Shiels in a pre-match interview appears to be complaining about late news on Rory Hale being suspended on Monday night

"We just found out this morning - in the middle of a preparation session - we were told that Rory Hale is out because of a booking earlier in the season at Limerick"
https://audioboom.com/posts/6853589-derry-city-v-dundalk-rory-hale-out-through-suspension-and-we-hear-from-the-gaffer-kenny-shiels

Can any Derry fans shed any light if there are some unusual circumstances here or is it that the KS or club officials did not track his bookings and realise that a suspension was looming? While KS may have only learned about it this morning, presumably the club were notified in the normal way by the FAI?

A N Mouse
13/05/2018, 8:11 PM
Second half bias there. You barely touched the ball first half. We controlled it.

You came out fighting second half and dominated that half, though we perked up a bit when Sadlier and Beattie came on.

We can't keep missing that amount of chances, 2 off the line and 2 more from 6 yards. Derry probably should have won it at the end with the header off the post.

Very entertaining 0-0. Good performance from us decent point. Good to keep a clean sheet with another change in the back four.

Hopefully you can take something from dundalk Monday!

Not sure we watched the same match. The first half was bit more end to end, without either side creating much clear cut. But Cork semed happy to cede possession throughout, and the second half was played largely in the Cork half. On the rare occasion they managed to string three passes together in the opposion half Cork put some good ball into the box, but this was one or two sustained periods in the first and odd forray in the second.

micls
13/05/2018, 8:24 PM
Not sure we watched the same match. The first half was bit more end to end, without either side creating much clear cut. But Cork semed happy to cede possession throughout, and the second half was played largely in the Cork half. On the rare occasion they managed to string three passes together in the opposion half Cork put some good ball into the box, but this was one or two sustained periods in the first and odd forray in the second.

We definitely didn't see the same game if the 4 clearcut chances we had in the 2nd half were an odd foray. Sadlier, Jimmy and Josh all should have scored from 6 yards. But agreed you dominated the second half possession wise.

Ill agree with you we weren't incisive at all for the first 60 minutes, but we had plenty of possession first half. Final ball was shocking though.

A N Mouse
13/05/2018, 8:51 PM
We definitely didn't see the same game if the 4 clearcut chances we had in the 2nd half were an odd foray. Sadlier, Jimmy and Josh all should have scored from 6 yards. But agreed you dominated the second half possession wise.

Ill agree with you we weren't incisive at all for the first 60 minutes, but we had plenty of possession first half. Final ball was shocking though.

I'm not denying the chances, but think it would be fair to say if you'd taken any of them it would have been against the run of play. No? Or how many more chances than the four you mention are you claiming in the second half?

I don't think there was anything wrong with Corks final ball. Just pish poor finishing, when opportunity presented. At least for the instsnces you highlight.

seand
14/05/2018, 7:46 AM
Sligo penalty looked stonewall from where I was in the shed and there were no complaints around me, but a mate in the stand was questioning it. Funny old game

Ezeikial
14/05/2018, 8:28 AM
Sligo penalty looked stonewall from where I was in the shed and there were no complaints around me, but a mate in the stand was questioning it. Funny old game

I was mixing with the bourgeois. The shed proletariat are clearly a more candid and scrupulous lot

Yossarian
14/05/2018, 8:54 AM

You’d have had a better view in the shed as Rogers body blocked the view of the tackle on the stand side. The lack of any serious complaint from Rogers said enough. In fairness it should never have come to that as the pass from Hoare(I think?) to Folan was terrible and then Folan’s header back to Rogers was far too weak.

marinobohs
14/05/2018, 9:45 AM
Three top class goals from Bohs tonight.Bray in deep trouble. Definitive game of two halves ! Bohs were excellent first half and should have been further ahead at HT (1-2). second half Bohs appeared to sit way too deep and Bray were much the better side (without creating a huge amount it has to be said). Stokes goal (well worth a look) wrapped up the points bt to be fair did come against the run of play. Nce win and added to Sligo result a good weeks work, 6 points is hard earned down in the bottom half.
Looking bleak for Bray and three teams above to slog it out for play off spot. cant see anyone else getting dragged in.

micls
14/05/2018, 9:57 AM
I'm not denying the chances, but think it would be fair to say if you'd taken any of them it would have been against the run of play. No? Or how many more chances than the four you mention are you claiming in the second half?

I don't think there was anything wrong with Corks final ball. Just pish poor finishing, when opportunity presented. At least for the instsnces you highlight.

I'd agree with that in the second half. Once Beattie and Sadlier came on, our final ball got much better and those chances happened. But yeah, it would have been against the run of play.

In the first half though we had plenty of possession but final ball was shocking. There were no chances really at all

PartySaint
14/05/2018, 10:05 AM
Barry Murphy had his best ever game for Pats somehow stopping Limerick from scoring on a few occasions. Delighted to get the win, our first back to back wins in 40 years or something.

Sligo tomorrow night, need to get another win to start pulling away from Rovers and start catching the top 4

brendy_éire
14/05/2018, 10:15 AM
Can any Derry fans shed any light if there are some unusual circumstances here or is it that the KS or club officials did not track his bookings and realise that a suspension was looming? While KS may have only learned about it this morning, presumably the club were notified in the normal way by the FAI?

He's been booked four times this season, last against Limerick on 30th April. I don't know why he's suspended, and only from today.
Maybe he got booked in a pre-season friendly, would that count?

NeverFeltBetter
14/05/2018, 11:10 AM
Barry Murphy had his best ever game for Pats somehow stopping Limerick from scoring on a few occasions. Delighted to get the win, our first back to back wins in 40 years or something.

Sligo tomorrow night, need to get another win to start pulling away from Rovers and start catching the top 4

Out of curiosity, what do you think the attendance was? And what was the atmosphere like?

PartySaint
14/05/2018, 11:45 AM
Out of curiosity, what do you think the attendance was? And what was the atmosphere like?

Atmosphere was like a pre season friendly. I saw somewhere had an attendance of 625 I think it was, even that looked a bit generous tbh

dundalkfc10
14/05/2018, 4:02 PM
Just left Dundalk for Derry now.

No buses would travel from Dundalk, meaning we wont have 50 fans. The normal Travel Club were quoted €1000 Deposit on the bus if they wanted to go.

Think the Shed Side Army or whatever they call themselves these days have a mini bus from company in Newry (no bus from Dundalk will take them anywhere never mind Derry)

patrickccfc
14/05/2018, 8:43 PM
Impressive by dundalk to go up to derry and put 4 past them.

More points dropped by Waterford tonight after a late penalty for Bray gets them a 2-2 draw

ToberonaTornado
15/05/2018, 12:59 AM
Dundalk pished home v Derry tonight.
Early doors was all us followed by about 10 mins of Derry pressure during which they scored.Nice goal by cole.
After that it was basically all us again ,Dundalk creating problems all over and plenty of chances.
Absolute classic Dundalk goal by Garts from the corner for our opener.Set-piece magic.
Benson's goal,well taken & will fill him full of confidence(he's been poor lately imo)

Micheal Duffy was simply outstanding for Dundalk tonight.Got the goal he deserved to round off a 10/10 display.Shields was also top class also though every Dundalk player looked well 'up4it'. :D

Lovin; the new randywell,very jealous in that regard,but the result was all that mattered tonight.

Ezeikial
15/05/2018, 6:11 AM
I think Michael Duffy is the leagues stand out player currently. Sensational performance

White Horse
15/05/2018, 9:12 AM
I think Michael Duffy is the leagues stand out player currently. Sensational performance

Duffy, Sadlier, and Burke are the three the stand out to me.

Of the three, Duffy is the most consistent. Not completely consistent, but then again if he adds that to his game, he would be off to England. So perhaps, a little inconsistency is better for us.

Sadlier doesn't play often enough though, Does Caulfield not trust him? It is hard to properly assess a player who spends so much time on the bench.

As for Burke, I'd love to see him in a better team.