PDA

View Full Version : RTE coverage. Verdict?

harry crumb
19/03/2005, 12:10 AM
I thought it was excellent overall. George Hamilton and Dolan were great.

They had a studio instead of an umbrella is another plus. The next step must be to get personalities for the half-time analysis. no offence Mr. Fenlon.

The pitch was awful and it affected the quality of the game. George Hamilton had a dig at Rovers for not having the team sheets available to them for the TV coverage. He said it took the gloss of the whole night. Quote "Its the small things" He's right of course and this should be sorted out in future.

Overall A great start IMO.

What do you all think?

EnDai
19/03/2005, 1:01 AM
Seemd decent enough. Dolan was hillarious to listen to tbh :) Was good to see a decent sized crowd there, and that will probably help encourage more people to attend matches. Commentary was better than Setantas, and actually having the instantly recognisable (to even non-EL fans :eek: ) Hamilton commentating gave an added "professional feel" to it, imo. Also I don't want to stab him like I do the Setanta guys!

Verdict: Better than Setanta. :rolleyes:

Ringo
19/03/2005, 6:21 AM
would encourage people to go to the games. looked professional. Great for the league. Need to spread the games around the whole league.

Passive
19/03/2005, 9:54 AM
Unfortunately I forgot to record the game so I don't know what it looked like. Very good crowd there though, probably around 4,500. The biggest derby crowd in a few years anyway.
Dolan was gas after the game. We were kept in the ground for 10 minutes and every started singing about Dolan being on the dole. He responded by taking out a wad of cash and offering it to us. When he was leaving he walked right through the Rovers section and stopped off to have a laugh with people. Said something about going to Burdocks.
Regarding the game, I thought it was good enough. Very few chances, but a good game nonetheless. Lots of new signings on the pitch, some good, some bad.

sadloserkid
19/03/2005, 10:54 AM
Personally I thought Dolan was awful, made me cringe to be honest with his 'He's not a postman George' stuff. The crowd looked a bit sparse too but then again most English grounds look half abandoned on The Premiership too. I think RTE did fairly well though it would have been nice to have had a second pundit alongside Nutsy but that's just nit-picking to be honest. A step in the right direction and a fairly sizeable one at that!

Martinho II
19/03/2005, 12:35 PM
i had to laugh at a quote from mr hamilton" mark rutherford is in his fourth decade" how? :p

thejollyrodger
19/03/2005, 12:49 PM
I was happy enough with the RTE coverage. They had a decent number of cameras at the game.

I think they should bring in two pundits to discuss the game at half time. The quality of the football wasnt the best ever seen at an E.L.

In fairness the team sheets should be available to RTE. There should be someoneat each club in charge to take care of all these things.

Poor Student
19/03/2005, 12:58 PM
Where, when and what is the next live game?

ciaran76
19/03/2005, 1:28 PM
i had to laugh at a quote from mr hamilton" mark rutherford is in his fourth decade" how? :p

Ha ha i was wondering that myself but then thought about it.
He was born in the 70's lived thru the 80's,90's and 00's
So that sis what i am assuming he meant ? It was a strange comment alright :eek:

centre mid
19/03/2005, 1:50 PM
Does anybody have ( or know where to find ) a full list of which games are being shown on the box ???

A face
19/03/2005, 2:07 PM
'He's not a postman George' stuff.

That was one joke in fairness and Dolan and George had a laugh about it. It was meant to be stupid. It shows that they have personality, and that not everything has to be rehersed (spelling?) ... you are allow be human.

Dazzy
19/03/2005, 4:21 PM
Where, when and what is the next live game?

Pats v Bohs TG4

De Town
19/03/2005, 4:41 PM
Pats v Bohs TG4
Is that next week?

you'd think they would come down the country for once :rolleyes: I know its early yet but I can see a pattern soming along, if there is no Dublin team in the fixture, it wont be shown live. I will keep hoping though :)

CollegeTillIDie
19/03/2005, 4:54 PM
Just means he is over 30. And Mark was born in 1971 so Georgie had a point!

CollegeTillIDie
19/03/2005, 4:56 PM
Pats v Bohs TG4
Wow that's very soon! That would only leave 28 more games to be shown including the F.A.I. Cup games :confused:

bluemovie
19/03/2005, 5:31 PM
I thought the coverage was fairly good. Any non-eircom league regulars would still recognise Fenlon and Dolan. Thought it was a laugh George berating Rovers over the teamsheet. He called McGuinness 'Caffrey' for the first half hour until Dolan corrected him and there was an eerie silence. In fairness, you'd hope the commentator would recognise a well-known player like McGuinness. I switched Radio One long-wave on for a while. Gabriel Egan knows his stuff about the league...can't see why he couldn't be on TV. It'll be interesting to see what TG4 put together next Friday.

pineapple stu
19/03/2005, 5:37 PM
Pats v Bohs TG4
Technically, the next live game is Shels v. Portadown on Tuesday (Setanta Cup).

No more live games announced after Pat's-Bhos yet.

Slash/ED
19/03/2005, 5:37 PM
Wow that's very soon! That would only leave 28 more games to be shown including the F.A.I. Cup games :confused:

It stands to reason really to show the majority of the matches in the first and last series of games, the middle is always the least dramatic and that's also when the European games kick in, and the European games are on top of the 30 games they've agreed to show.

crc
19/03/2005, 9:47 PM
you'd think they would come down the country for once :rolleyes: I know its early yet but I can see a pattern soming along, if there is no Dublin team in the fixture, it wont be shown live. I will keep hoping though :)
In fairness to TG4, they are based in Galway, so doing a game in Dublin means quite a bit of travelling for them.

De Town
19/03/2005, 9:51 PM
In fairness to TG4, they are based in Galway, so doing a game in Dublin means quite a bit of travelling for them.
Well, Longford is only 1hr1/2 down the road from Galway, come here for a change :o :D

Dazzy
19/03/2005, 10:40 PM
they mite aswell come up to the Brandywell to cover our game with Longford.

De Town
19/03/2005, 10:42 PM
they mite aswell come up to the Brandywell to cover are game with Longford.
Exactly. That would be great :)

sadloserkid
20/03/2005, 11:43 AM
That was one joke in fairness and Dolan and George had a laugh about it. It was meant to be stupid.

Well if that's what floats your boat... for me stupid is stupid.

As for the Mark Rutherford thing Hamilton was dead right if a little unclear.

0-10 is a person's first decade,
11-20 is their second,
21-30 is their third
and 31-40 is their fourth.

Rutherford is what? 35 I think? So he's in his fourth decade. Simple really. :)

SÓC
20/03/2005, 12:19 PM
TG4 use a company from Ring in Wahhhhherford to do all their outside broadcasts so going to Dublin is a bit of a trek for them

crc
20/03/2005, 4:58 PM
0-10 is a person's first decade,
11-20 is their second,
21-30 is their third
and 31-40 is their fourth
Actually 0-9 is the first decade
10-19 is the second, etc.

so the moment you hit thirty (rather than thirty-one), you're in your fouth decade. The same way the moment the clock goes from 11:59am to 12:00noon, it's pm rather than am. I though George meant that Rutherford had just turned 30, but given that the guy is about 35, it seems a bit of a pointless comment.

As for TG4, I didn't know they subcontracted the OB to a company in Waterford. The commentators must still have to come from the west, though? Either way it's not Dublin!

pete
20/03/2005, 9:58 PM
All TV games won't be classics but as long as get a few golas i don't think the average bar stoller would know the difference.

Bohs-Rovers reminded me of frantic old form game. High on tempo but low on quality.

A face
21/03/2005, 12:50 AM
George (Hamilton) ...... pointless comment.

Sorry mate ... you have Gerogie boy and "pointless comment" in the same sentence .... are you sure you have got that right ?? :confused:

:D

A face
21/03/2005, 12:53 AM
Well if that's what floats your boat... for me stupid is stupid.

Q: What do you call two Welsh men

A: A choir

I know man .... it aint that funny, infact .... the cringe factor is way off the scale .... but you do see the humour dont you.
But i agree, its stupid and alot worse now that its been laboured.

noby
21/03/2005, 8:47 AM
As for TG4, I didn't know they subcontracted the OB to a company in Waterford. The commentators must still have to come from the west, though? Either way it's not Dublin!

Nemeton, in Ring, as SOC said, do all the OB sports. Their regualr commentator is also from Ring. I guess he'll be doing the footie too ( he did their Celtic matches)
They're well used to trekking up to Dublin for a friday night, for the rugby, but I do hope it gets spread around the country a bit. The league isn't a week old, and bohs have pocketed 7500 already.

Ring is pretty much halfway between Cork and Waterford, so a munster derby (at the cross, probably) would be nice.

harry crumb
21/03/2005, 5:02 PM
There has been plenty of advertising the Pats vs Bohs game on TG4 de hAoine. I don't remember seeing any ads for the Rovers game.

BohDiddley
21/03/2005, 5:13 PM
An beidh se as Gaeilge mar sin?

Slash/ED
21/03/2005, 5:26 PM
There has been plenty of advertising the Pats vs Bohs game on TG4 de hAoine. I don't remember seeing any ads for the Rovers game.

There weren't any afaik, what's the ad for this one like?

harry crumb
21/03/2005, 5:51 PM
It shows a montage of quick action clips. They made sure there was a crowd in the backround too, It looked well.

soylent green
22/03/2005, 2:17 PM
It stands to reason really to show the majority of the matches in the first and last series of games, the middle is always the least dramatic and that's also when the European games kick in, and the European games are on top of the 30 games they've agreed to show.

Having games in the middle would be good as it would coincide with the close season across the major leagues in Europe. There is no other live football on TV (excluding bog ball) especially as no EURO or World Cup Championships this year.

Aberdonian Stu
22/03/2005, 2:32 PM
Nemeton, the Waterford company TG4 use, won't mind travelling lads. Their GAA coverage often features games from the North and they regularly covered games from Donnybrook when they had they had the Celtic league.