PDA

View Full Version : UCD v Drogheda United

CollegeTillIDie
18/03/2005, 10:56 PM
The mighty Drogs got off to a typical Doolo start to a season losing 0-2 at home to Derry City. What do you lot reckon will happen when we have Tony Mac back?

pineapple stu
18/03/2005, 11:15 PM
Great result! Honestly think there's too much hype over Drogs. Think we can sneak a win with our defence and our hex over them in Belfield. However, I think Drogs were missing something like eight players (and couldn't fill the bench), so there's going to be a lot of changes for next week.

BobtheDrog
20/03/2005, 7:19 PM
Only two out for the UCD game currently Sahne Robinson is suspended and Gary Rogers has a broken hand if we play like we did against derry you'll win if we play like we did against leeds today wud expect us to win

Cosmo
20/03/2005, 8:07 PM
'Honestly think there's too much hype over Drogs.'

Yawn PS, change the tune will ye - we'll be alright - we had one bad performance and people jump the gun (and so did $hels). I'll worry if things are still the same in a dozen matches but til then i'll keep the faith.

The performance today against leeds was top class and if we dont stuff ye after todays performace on friday ill be disappointed (dont get away with yourselves, i was at the match on wed and you scraped a draw against a very poor $hles performance - gary o neill the only one that did anything for them - though i liked your banner for oilly ;) )

Poor Student
20/03/2005, 8:17 PM
I think given the heat between Mahon and Doolo and the fact players seemed to dislike it under Doolo, plus the fact Doolo did a Doolo on us we should be suitably motivated for this one. With Tony Mac back, Dupuy a bit fitter and the team more settled I am looking forward to our chances in this one.

Cosmo
20/03/2005, 8:37 PM
Well thats one thing we can guarantee from UCD - they're so obsessed with Doolo they'll be fired up for this one - expect a back lash from the drogs after fridays performance though - it has to be a making for a cracker of a match!! Never look forward to matches in belfied but with the Mahon/ Doolo feud going strong, it adds that bit of spice ;)

pineapple stu
20/03/2005, 9:33 PM
Yawn PS, change the tune will ye - we'll be alright - we had one bad performance and people jump the gun (and so did $hels).
Actually, I'm not basing that on the Derry game...think I mentioned it in my season predictions too. No point getting into it here, but yez seem to be buying players to go full-time who aren't necessarily the best players (viz your own forum's comments re Andy Myler).

The performance today against leeds was top class and if we don't stuff ye after today's performace on friday I'll be disappointed (don't get away with yourselves, I was at the match on wed and you scraped a draw against a very poor $hels performance
Don't forget we were missing our two most experienced players - including our captain - and another player to boot; we had four debutantes, including two who had never even played senior football before. We've players to come back too...

I liked your banner for oilly ;) )
Ah! So someone did see it! :)

CollegeTillIDie
20/03/2005, 9:40 PM
Cannot see anything other than a win for UCD. Only 1 win in 25 years for United at Belfield in the league says it all really.
P.s. and don't forget Doolo is a past master at having sh1t starts to the season. I seem to remember 1 point out of a possible 27 in 2003...... :p

pineapple stu
20/03/2005, 9:43 PM
Cannot see anything other than a win for UCD
DON'T JINX THINGS!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
20/03/2005, 9:50 PM
Ok then what did the banner say?

pineapple stu
20/03/2005, 9:56 PM
That's better! :p

"PAY UP OLLIE" We actually put it up under the blue UCD flag and took it down during the game, because we thought the stewards would remove it immediately (like in Ballybofey). But instead it stayed up for the whole match! Which was slightly annoying because we'd tied about 30 cable ties onto it to annoy any stewards who tried to take it down! :p

CollegeTillIDie
20/03/2005, 9:59 PM
Yawn PS, change the tune will ye - we'll be alright - we had one bad performance and people jump the gun (and so did $hels). I'll worry if things are still the same in a dozen matches but til then i'll keep the faith.

The performance today against leeds was top class and if we dont stuff ye after todays performace on friday ill be disappointed (dont get away with yourselves, i was at the match on wed and you scraped a draw against a very poor $hles performance - gary o neill the only one that did anything for them - though i liked your banner for oilly ;) )

Friday's result was your 10th home League defeat in 12 months....... duh ! :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
20/03/2005, 10:03 PM
That's better! :p

"PAY UP OLLIE" We actually put it up under the blue UCD flag and took it down during the game, because we thought the stewards would remove it immediately (like in Ballybofey). But instead it stayed up for the whole match! Which was slightly annoying because we'd tied about 30 cable ties onto it to annoy any stewards who tried to take it down! :p

And how did Judas Iscawley(well it is the run up to Good Friday.. couldn't resist) do when he came on? :D

Cosmo
21/03/2005, 6:21 AM
'No point getting into it here, but yez seem to be buying players to go full-time who aren't necessarily the best players'

Agree - andy is a major loss for us :mad:

Schumi
21/03/2005, 10:45 AM
Looking forward to this game now after the Shels game. You can't read much into Drogheda's first result with all those players out (didn't even have a full bench according to the radio!) but I think we have a great chance of getting a really good start to the season. We've always done well against Drogheda and I'm unconvinced that their squad is stronger for the changes they've made to go full time.

Our defence has looked good and Dupuy has to be a danger for a goal which was all we were really lacking against them last year (in the home game at least). Shels away has to be a harder fixture than Drogheda (or anyone else for that matter) at home so hopefully we'll go for the win.

you scraped a draw against a very poor $hles performanceI didn't think we were under too much pressure to be honest, I would have said that Shels scraped the draw if anything.

if we dont stuff ye after todays performace on friday ill be disappointed :D We'll see about that.

pineapple stu
21/03/2005, 12:41 PM
And how did Judas Iscawley(well it is the run up to Good Friday.. couldn't resist) do when he came on? :D
Was only on for the last five minutes (just after Shels scored), and with the way I'd written down the team numbers (and the way Shels had their numbers on the bench), I thought he was someone else (Brennan, I think). Never noticed him after that, really.

higgins
21/03/2005, 10:56 PM
Shels scraped a draw!

If you go purely on the time the goal came then in a way yes but on balance of play possession and shots on and off target we would come out on top in all aspects.

I think the goal was your only shot on or off target wasnt it?

Shels didnt play well but where only p!ssed off due to the fact we can play alot better. A draw was a very fair result regardless of which way the goals came.

I dont rate Doolin at all so I think you may grab another draw from that one. Doolin is the new Dolan as far as I can see! He just wants to spend spend spend and I think hes bought 1 or 2 players who dont deserve to be a full time footballer. They will probably come 3rd or 4th due to the fulltime set up but I dont think they will be close this season.

Aberdonian Stu
22/03/2005, 8:20 AM
I didn't make it to the game but in anybody's reckoning no matter how good/bad a team play an equaliser 5 minutes from time is scraping a draw.

Schumi
22/03/2005, 10:08 AM
Shels scraped a draw!

If you go purely on the time the goal came then in a way yes but on balance of play possession and shots on and off target we would come out on top in all aspects.

I think the goal was your only shot on or off target wasnt it?

Shels didnt play well but where only p!ssed off due to the fact we can play alot better. A draw was a very fair result regardless of which way the goals came.
Agreed. I said "if anything"! A draw was fair, don't think you could really say that we scraped a draw. The goal was, I think, our only shot on target. There were a couple of free kicks off target but nothing dangerous really. You didn't make Quigley make any real saves either though.

CollegeTillIDie
22/03/2005, 3:52 PM
[QUOTE=Schumi]The goal was, I think, our only shot on target. [QUOTE=Schumi] Does that mean 100% accuracy? :p

CollegeTillIDie
22/03/2005, 6:40 PM
So lads do I make the first team on foot.ie with this posting? :ball:

John83
22/03/2005, 6:54 PM
So lads do I make the first team on foot.ie with this posting? :ball:
Congrats. I'm still a way off.

centre mid
24/03/2005, 2:31 PM
Cant go to Cork so want to go and watch the UCD - Drogs game ( study form and all that ) how much in and which entrance etc?? :confused:

Schumi
24/03/2005, 2:35 PM
Cant go to Cork so want to go and watch the UCD - Drogs game ( study form and all that ) how much in and which entrance etc?? :confused:
Adult entry is €15 including a programme, not sure of the student rate. There's only one entrance!

centre mid
24/03/2005, 2:50 PM
Cheers for that - what i mean is that if i drive do in do i go in the main entrance and drive around or is there an entrance on foster ave???

Roo69
24/03/2005, 3:36 PM
Cheers for that - what i mean is that if i drive do in do i go in the main entrance and drive around or is there an entrance on foster ave???

Go up Fosters Ave and if you can't get in the gate (bout 500m on the right, yu'll see a security gaurd standing at the entrance) then just park up on the grass verge.

centre mid
24/03/2005, 3:56 PM
Thanks for that Roo69

pineapple stu
24/03/2005, 6:34 PM
then just park up on the grass verge.
You'd want to be careful about that - they're clamping down on it after complaints by the residents (I think). There's often cones on the road now to stop people parking. The college prefer you to use the engineering car park - head in the main entrance to the college (up the slip road), take an immediate left and the car park is 100yds on your right. After that, you have to walk! :eek: :) Head down by the athletics track and just follow the path through the thicket of trees, around the Glenomena res and the ground is on your right; turnstile is the far end.

CollegeTillIDie
25/03/2005, 9:02 AM
If the Fosters Avenue gate is open drive in and up the tarmacadam lane.
If the nearest car parks are full keep going and you will see a new building on the right almost opposite the footpath across to the ground. There is car parking available behind that new building too. Go in there and park.

BobtheDrog
25/03/2005, 2:56 PM
Have a terrible sense of foreboding about tonites match reckon you'll win comfortably

pineapple stu
25/03/2005, 11:12 PM
Have a terrible sense of foreboding about tonites match reckon you'll win comfortably
:mad: :mad:

What was said earlier about not jinxing us?!?! ;)

CollegeTillIDie
26/03/2005, 7:48 AM
Worst performance in Belfield Park under Pete Mahon.... you cannot legislate for everybody having a collective off day . Having said that, Drogheda seemed to be physically stronger than UCD in ever position on the park. Meaning it was difficult for us to retain possession when it was gained.
Never really convincingly looked like scoring bar two occasions.

BobtheDrog
26/03/2005, 2:36 PM
:mad: :mad:

What was said earlier about not jinxing us?!?! ;)

wat can i say i'm a bad person :D