PDA

View Full Version : Pitch at the Cross in bad shape

Counting Crow
18/03/2005, 9:17 PM
I am just back from the Ireland v England schoolboys game at The Cross and I have to say the pitch is in terrible shape. Having been used to a billard table for so long it is a worry that it is such poor condition.

Hope another week will make a difference but I doubt it. Two big games next week on this pitch could be a problem.

Ireland won 2-1 BTW with a goal in the last minute of added time. Buttimer disallowed a perfectly good goal for us just beforehand.

Éanna
18/03/2005, 9:27 PM
I was told that it only needed a day or two of rain to sort it. they'd want to start watering it pretty soon though

pete
18/03/2005, 9:49 PM
I was told that it only needed a day or two of rain to sort it. they'd want to start watering it pretty soon though

Never loses the irony that need RAIN in Cork at end of winter to fix the pitch.

:eek:

colblimp
18/03/2005, 10:03 PM
Buttimer disallowed a perfectly good goal for us just beforehand.

That's rubbish and you know it! I could see it was offside and I was on The Shed!

I agree about the pitch though. Every time a player put his foot down hard, a puff of sand came up!

It was good to meet you. :)

City Hero
18/03/2005, 11:27 PM
The pitch has been in a bad state for the last few weeks at least (remember the friendly against Everton). Don't understand why it's so bad, but I'm not an expert. Anyway, St. Colmans was just as bad last week, and Dalymount on TV aswell.

Éanna
18/03/2005, 11:41 PM
The pitch has been in a bad state for the last few weeks at least (remember the friendly against Everton). Don't understand why it's so bad, but I'm not an expert. Anyway, St. Colmans was just as bad last week, and Dalymount on TV aswell.
its been very dry since christmas really, not much rain. I'm no expert either, but I gather a lot of work done at various grounds (the cross, pairc ui rinn etc) was done anticipating rainfall which has yet to arrive.

Ruairi
19/03/2005, 9:59 AM
it was waaaaay worse for the womens games last weekend...

and by the way the right winger was offside, not the fella who scored de goal...

conboy
20/03/2005, 11:49 AM
The story goes that fresh seedlings were placed on the pitch during the winter break which is not the best time of the year for it and the sand was put down to protect the new crop of grass. My source says everything should be shipshape in a few weeks hopefully anyway :eek:

Counting Crow
20/03/2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it sounds like most pitches (soccer, GAA etc) around the place are in similar condition due to the weather.

Still though, only a week to go to the first home game and $hel$ on Easter Monday night - need to have a good surface for these games.

De Town
20/03/2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah, it sounds like most pitches (soccer, GAA etc) around the place are in similar condition due to the weather.
Oue pitch last night was its usual carpet self :) Pity we couldnt use it to our advantage though :(

SÓC
20/03/2005, 12:22 PM
Weather forecast on TG4 :D (best show on Irish TV btw) says a fair bit of rain coming our way soon enough which should help the pitch no end

Fair_play_boy
20/03/2005, 5:35 PM
On the Donie Forde side of the pitch there was a lot of digging and re-laying of turf during the winter. I thought they might do something about the step in the six yards box at the shed end. It must be a nightmare for visiting defenders who are not used to it. You can see it best from the sideline just by the wheelchair enclosure.

ccfcman
21/03/2005, 8:33 AM
I've not seen the pitch since the Everton mach and the pitch was rotten enought then, kicking up sand like I've never seen before.

ollie
21/03/2005, 8:51 AM
well its been ****in all nite and this morning.should help the sand bed in.

adamd164
21/03/2005, 4:48 PM
ya for once I was gald to see rain :rolleyes:

Éanna
21/03/2005, 6:04 PM
ya for once I was gald to see rain :rolleyes:
same here! Walked out of the house today and thought "ah shíte..........oh wait, the pitch will be grand now!" :D :D

adamd164
21/03/2005, 7:04 PM
same here :D lol!

Storysham
21/03/2005, 9:10 PM
Me too, looking out the window at work today, remarked what a sh1t day it was, and quietly thought to myself, at least it'll be good for the pitch for friday night.

higgins
21/03/2005, 10:08 PM
The pitch in Tolka could not have been better despite the way we played on it!!...

I have not seen it as well in many years. It got a long break over the summer with no fund raising games or Shels pre season home friendlies on it.

sullanefc
22/03/2005, 9:01 AM
The pitch in Tolka could not have been better despite the way we played on it!!...

I have not seen it as well in many years. It got a long break over the "summer" with no fund raising games or Shels pre season home friendlies on it.

I'm assuming you mean winter

Troy.McClure
22/03/2005, 12:20 PM
I thought they might do something about the step in the six yards box at the shed end. It must be a nightmare for visiting defenders who are not used to it.

All the more reason to keep it so! :D

Ozymandias
22/03/2005, 1:56 PM
Weather forecast on TG4 :D (best show on Irish TV btw) says a fair bit of rain coming our way soon enough which should help the pitch no end
havew to agree there..have converted all my mates to it over the last 6 months...Sle is a loss in those tight tops..but its still top t

ollie
24/03/2005, 4:15 PM
has any1 been out to the cross to see what shape the pitch in since all the rain?

Storysham
25/03/2005, 2:16 PM
Was there awhile ago to get my tickets for toioght and monday. Pitch looks wlel from what i saw of it.

adamd164
25/03/2005, 2:51 PM
I saw it yesterday and I agree, it's looking much better.

Fair_play_boy
25/03/2005, 4:54 PM
Grounds have a few bits done to it here and there too. New steps up from Derrynane stand to the St. Annes gate.