PDA

View Full Version : O'Grady's plea to fans

sligoman
18/03/2005, 2:59 PM
From the Sligo Champion:

AFTER a disappointing stint at Derry City, Sligo Rovers midfielder, Conor O’Grady, returns to his home town club for the new First Division season, with a plea to the Showgrounds faithful: “Be patient.”

O’Grady was one of three main transfer targets for manager, Sean Connor, and now he is determined to do well in a revamped Rovers side, though tempering optimism with caution.

“This is a very young team and while we did okay in pre-season, I still feel people should be patient and not get too excited.

“There is a good buzz about the place, but the First Division is very tough. People are saying we will go up straight away, but the manager is rebuilding and it may take a little time. We are hoping for a good start to keep the fans behind us and build up momentum.

“Of course, our goal is to get promoted, but realistically, a better finish than last year, perhaps the top two or three, would be reasonable. It is hard to say how things will go, but our preparations have been good,” he said.

O’Grady left Rovers shortly after their relegation from the Premier Division, playing in two First Division games at Athlone and St. Francis, before joining up with the County G.A.A. squad.

He then spent three years at Cork City, winning the Player of Year accolade in his first season.

Injury restricted his appearances somewhat and when Gavin Dykes took over as manager at the Brandywell, he brought O’Grady to Derry.

However, Dykes departed and with Stephen Kenny at the helm, O’Grady found himself out of the team.

“It didn’t work out for me at Derry. I didn’t get into the starting eleven and it was frustrating,” he explained.

Stephen Kenny also wanted all his players based in Derry and O’Grady, who is now working in Sligo, felt there was little point in staying with the Candystripes.

“I had been training with Sligo, having previously travelled up and down to the Brandywell. Sean Connor came in and told me that he would be interested in signing me.

“I was under contract at Derry and though there was interest from other clubs, I was happy to come back to Sligo and to play here,” the midfielder revealed.

O’Grady is now looking forward to a new challenge and at 24 he sees himself having a different role than that of a number of years ago.

“I am more mature now and will have extra responsibility. Last time, Nicky Reid was beside me in the middle of mid-field and he kept an eye on me. Now, however, I will be keeping an eye on others and the younger players around me,” he said.

O’Grady feels the key to a good season is for Rovers to win their home matches and to pick up points away from the Showgrounds.

“Other teams have made a lot of experienced signings, including Dublin City, Dundalk and Limerick. Hopefully, we can do the business, but supporters need to realise we are in transition,” he maintained.