PDA

View Full Version : Metalurgs think we are easy

Pablo
15/06/2001, 5:27 PM
In the echo tonite the Metalurgs boss says that a 1-0 away win will do him nicely. Thats a bit over confident surly? most teams look for a draw away from home and think thats a good result.

Obviously they think we are pushovers........ i hope we send them home with thier communist arsses kicked!

Conor B
15/06/2001, 6:17 PM
I can't exactly get the echo where I am, but if I could I wouldn't pay for it as it's Sh**, except for Thursday's editiion which has downtown, as I was in it once.

I still think we will win 2-0 though, and watch out for any Latvian women, they're quite yummy

James
15/06/2001, 7:54 PM
Cork City's veteran defender Declan Daly has vowed to maintain the club's proud record in Europe when his side take on Metalurgs Liepaja in the InterToto Cup on Saturday. "We've no intention of letting ourselves down here," he said.

Liam Murphy's charges host the Latvian side at Turner's Cross in the first round first leg clash, knowing a win would give themselves a huge boost ahead of the return leg.

The game comes just five weeks after the end of the Premier Division, Daly telling the Sunday World: "It's only been a few weeks since we beat Shelbourne to qualify. It feels unusual to be playing in Europe already.

"We know little about them. But apparently they have six Russian and two Latvian internationals in their squad – they can't be bad.

"But City have a proud record in Europe and we've no intention of letting ourselves down here. We'll be aiming to win this first leg next Saturday.

"The important thing is that we go over to Latvia with something under our belts. Even a 1-0 win would give us a great chance of getting through."

Alexksandrs Rogoza, the Metalurgs manager, has already visited Cork to see what lies in store for his side.

"He seemed impressed by the ground and said that it was pretty similar to their own ground," said City director Tony Walsh.

There will be one disadvantage for Cork should they go through. The winners face Dutch side Heerenveen in the second round on July 7 – the day after Cork's high-profile friendly against Martin O'Neill's Celtic.

Murphy has already been planning for that possible fixture clash, saying: "If we go through – and that's a big if – we may have to send out a different team for each game."

Neil
15/06/2001, 8:11 PM
Cork City wary of Latvian threat
15 June 2001

By Sports.com's PAUL KEANE
Cork City boss Liam Murphy will have just one message for his players ahead of Saturday’s Inter-Toto Cup clash with Metalurgs Liepaja - start as you mean to go on.

Derek Coughlan: Tough task ahead (Sportsfile)
Murphy will rely on the City side which showed such potential in storming to third place in the eircom League Premier Division in May when they meet the Latvians at Turner’s Cross.

He has made just one addition to the squad since the close of the season, bringing in Conor O’Grady from Sligo Rovers.

The 21-year-old former youth international may start on the bench but is likely to play some part in the game at midfield.

And an insider at the club said there would be more signings on the way before the 2001/’02 league campaign starts.

“We are very happy with the addition of Conor,” he said. “He’s a decent player who can play with both feet and can really do a job for us.

“We finished well last season and hopefully we can bring in a couple of other lads who will help build on what we have achieved.”

City will be wary of the opposition though. Metalurgs, managed by Russian Anatoly Shelest, have climbed to the summit of their national league at the expense of the country’s best-known side, Skonta Riga.

Skonta, based in the Latvian capital of Riga, are currently three points behind Metalurgs who finished third last season.

Metalurgs also have close contacts with Spartak Moscow and usually start with six Russians in their line-up.

Cork centre-halves Derek Coughlan and Declan Daly will be handed the task of curbing 24-year-old star striker Viktors Dobrecovs.

The forward has already bagged four goals in this year’s league campaign.

City will also have to look out for any late burst from the Latvians, who were formed only five years ago. They have scored five times in the last two minutes of their nine games so far this season.

James
15/06/2001, 8:34 PM
passing turners X in an old banger today :D around 6.30pm ish and saw the metal team waiting bby the butstop for the number 3 into town :D :D :D
and boy did they look a miserable bunch:mad: :mad:

I gave em a good stare and a come on city

joe
15/06/2001, 8:39 PM
Originally posted by James
passing turners X in an old banger today :D

you weren't complaining about that when it took you to Kilkenny and back.

ah, happy days with the 'Kilkenny Four'

:D :D :D

Conor B
15/06/2001, 8:39 PM
Hey, even Roy Keane got stoppped getting the no. 7 to Douglas, but always got stopped at the border, but I still think we are over estimating the Latvians, 2-0 City.

Skonto Riga, I think knocked Aberdeen out a few years ago, but Bohs did that, and of course we are much better than Bohs in Europe right?

joe
15/06/2001, 8:41 PM
Didn't Metalurgs draw with Brann Bergen last year or the year before? I think they were knocked out on away goals.

James
15/06/2001, 8:41 PM
skonta riga are a bunch better outfit then these metal boys

Conor B
15/06/2001, 8:43 PM
Can someone tell me what the difference is between a moderator administrator whatever, it seems you c*nts have it all sewn up to yourselves

A face
15/06/2001, 8:58 PM
at the back of the bread que ......... two bit ..... cant play football ....... pesky ... no homes since the war..... eastern europe .... on the back of a chicken truck ...... gruel eatin' ..... Bast**ds .... i hope we thrash 'em !!!!!!

City 3:0 Latt fi aahh is crap

James
15/06/2001, 8:59 PM
http://phootball.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1

Ok I have nothing to do with this site only for the fact that I am a member of the community that Adam refers to. i also am like it or not stuck in front of a PC for circa 10 hours a day mon to sat so i have the opportunity to post my comments and opinions more often then others.

I'm sure the lads wont mind if you would like to get involved as a moderator then you would be more then welcome. as the dundalk site is still without one.

Administrators are the guys who put the show together and pull the strings. there are 3 of those adam.joe & gaz..these guys put alot of time and effort into this site ( adam it was £10 we agreed right :D )

and as for
it seems you c*nts have it all sewn up to yourselves

I'll let Joe look after that but watchit!!!!

Conor B
15/06/2001, 9:16 PM
OK, fair dues to the admins and all that like, but whose comments do they want? teenage turtles, or shed veterans, what I would give to be at the game tomorrow, but hsit happens and I cant!

I dont want status, I just hate authorithy, ask a few of these Latvians tomorrow night and you will know what I mean.

Anyway they still have better women (as patriotic as I can be it is true, they have!) and soon they will (Nice treaty or no) join the EU

James
16/06/2001, 1:11 PM
who's comments do they want.. i presume by looking to get a community of phootball fans they r looking for exactly that a community..which involves both the teenage turtle and the shed veteran ( of which I am myself )

and as for their women..well we'll find that out when we get over there next week..thats if we can figure out a plan F to get there as all others are recently falling to pieces:confused: