PDA

View Full Version : France V Republic of Ireland - Monday 28th May 2018 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3

Closed Account
01/05/2018, 4:00 PM
http://www.offtheball.com/Soccer/Martin-ONeill-on-Wes-Hoolahan:-I-would-have-liked-to-have-got-hold-of-him-when-he-was-21-or-22

But O’Neill hinted at taking an experimental approach as he looks to give some of his more senior players a rest at the close of the season.
“I’ll have players who are going to be involved in play-off games for a start,” O’Neill added.
“Secondly, when we were organising the international games at the end of the season, some of the Premier League players might have been looking for a little family holiday before we actually met up.
“And of course the Scott Brown testimonial game came a wee bit after some of the guys had organised things. And in fairness, they’ve talked about maybe changing plans. But if they have made this family holiday and it’s the only chance they get then I would allow one or two that time.
“It gives another opportunity for some of the other younger players coming in to try and make their mark. That’s something I’m considering but it will become a little bit clearer by next week when I announce the squad.”
Written by James Hopper

Stuttgart88
02/05/2018, 8:23 AM
O'Neill's previous form with experimental sides doesn't fill me with any confidence. I think the difference this time might be that he seems committed to refreshing the squad.

DeLorean
02/05/2018, 9:11 AM
Some more here, including injury updates on James McCarthy & Robbie Brady, potential retirements/recruitment and the Liam Kelly situation - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/james-mccarthy-unlikely-to-be-back-in-time-for-irelands-nations-league-campaign-470167.html

Olé Olé
02/05/2018, 10:01 AM
He really does throw Liam Kelly under the bus again. No harm if that's what he was told by Reading.

Interesting to see Shaun Williams is being mentioned at the age of 31.

Surely Brandon O'Neill has a bit to do to warrant a call-io given that he's in the same league that Roy O'Donovan and Andy Keogh have been well up the goal charts with no clamour for inclusion.

I'm looking forward to see if Callum Robinson can come in and contribute. He's got a few ahead of him but he's been playing regularly ahead of Daryl Horgan at club level.

tetsujin1979
02/05/2018, 11:10 AM
FWIW he was at the Shamrock Rovers game on Monday night too.

Stuttgart88
02/05/2018, 11:30 AM
Yeah, saw that alright. I believe Aaron Bolger was outstanding.

tetsujin1979
02/05/2018, 12:08 PM
I think he used to play football with a lad I work with. He mentioned a young guy on his team that had been signed by Rovers and went straight into the first team.

Closed Account
10/05/2018, 12:00 PM
Provisional squad selected for Republic of Ireland MNT games

Republic of Ireland Men's National Team - Provisional Squad
Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Colin Doyle (Bradford City), Kieran O'Hara (Manchester United), Ian Lawlor (Doncaster Rovers), Conor O'Malley (Peterborough United)
Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Alex Pearce, Richard Keogh (Derby County), John Egan (Brentford), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), Kevin Long (Burnley), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Darragh Lenihan, Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Greg Cunningham (Preston North End)
Midfielders: Alan Judge (Brentford), Conor Hourihane, Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), David Meyler (Hull City), Shaun Williams (Millwall), Alan Browne, Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion),
Forwards: Jonathan Walters (Burnley), Shane Long (Southampton), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall), Sean Maguire, Callum Robinson (Preston North End), Graham Burke (Shamrock Rovers)

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/provisional-squad-selected-for-republic-of-ireland-mnt-games

Provisional squad selected for Republic of Ireland MNT games
Martin O'Neill's squad to take on Celtic, France and United States

10th May 2018

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill has announced a provisional squad for the friendly games against Celtic (May 20), France (May 28) and United States (June 2).
Speaking at the SPAR Primary 5s Leinster Finals in Navan, O'Neill revealed that veteran defender John O'Shea would be leading Ireland out for the final time at the Three International Friendly against United States on Saturday, June 2 in Aviva Stadium.
The three friendly games act as the final preparation ahead of the UEFA Nations League opener away to Wales on September 6. O'Neill has made space in his squad for three players (Matt Doherty, Declan Rice & Scott Hogan) who made their debuts in the recent friendly against Turkey.
Graham Burke is the latest player from the SSE Airtricity League to be called up to the squad, following on from the previous call ups for the Dundalk trio of Andy Boyle, Daryl Horgan and Gary Rogers.
Also receiving their first senior call-ups are Peterborough United goalkeeper Conor O'Malley, Millwall midfielder Shaun Williams, and Preston North End forward Callum Robinson.
A number of players miss out due to injury, including Robbie Brady (knee), James McCarthy (broken leg), Jonny Hayes (ankle) and Aiden McGeady (ankle). Burnley forward Jonathan Walters returns after a long injury lay-off.
Some players will drop out of the squad after the Celtic game on Sunday, May 20 in Celtic Park, while others will only report into camp ahead of the trip to Paris to take on France on Monday, May 28 in Stade de France and the home game against the United States on June 2.

Closed Account
10/05/2018, 12:02 PM
New callups
Conor O'Malley (GK)
Shaun Williams
Callum Robinson
Graham Burke

nigel-harps1954
10/05/2018, 12:13 PM
Magic plane at work again? 14 appearances for Connor O'Malley in League One enough to warrant a call-up.

Philly
10/05/2018, 12:51 PM
Magic plane at work again? 14 appearances for Connor O'Malley in League One enough to warrant a call-up.

In fairness, we are short of goalkeepers who are at that age and might develop into good Championship / International level options. Te top goalkeepers in LOI - McNulty and Rogers - are bot mid-30s and not even a medium term prospect for us.

Burke and Robinson seemed to have a good partnership at Villa at underage level, will be interesting to see how they do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPlvW_GKUjM

Stuttgart88
10/05/2018, 1:31 PM
Yawn. He's been in UK a while and has been in excellent form. He is being retained by Peterborough while many others including Forrester are being released. I think this is quite a good selection on O'Neill's part.

bwagner
10/05/2018, 1:37 PM
Five Preston North End players have been named in the Republic of Ireland's latest provisional squad.

Alan Browne, Callum Robinson, Daryl Horgan, Greg Cunningham and Sean Maguire have all been called up to Martin O'Neill's squad.

Callum Robinson has received his first call up to the national side after declaring for Ireland earlier this season.

Greg Cunningham is also named in the squad once again and will be hoping to make the final squad after missing out on recent occasions through injury.

After an impressive season which ended with three awards, Alan Browne is once again named in the provisional after making his first senior start during the last international break.

Sean Maguire and Daryl Horgan make up the five Lilywhites in Martin O'Neill's squad, and both will be looking to add to their caps for their national side.

Robinson has been named in the provisional squad for the friendly against Celtic at Celtic Park on Sunday 20th May 2018. While Cunningham, Browne, Maguire and Horgan have been named in the squad for that game as well as the friendlies against France and USA on 28th May and 2nd June respectively.

topia
10/05/2018, 7:00 PM
Yawn. He's been in UK a while and has been in excellent form. He is being retained by Peterborough while many others including Forrester are being released. I think this is quite a good selection on O'Neill's part.

10 months.

Fixer82
10/05/2018, 11:22 PM
What’s the story with Rob Elliot?

Olé Olé
11/05/2018, 6:50 AM

What did Graham Burke fly in on?

And wasn't O'Malley second choice for Pat's in 2016 before becoming first choice in 2017 so I'm not sure what juncture he could have been called in at in the past 14 months that would have been justifiable both in terms of openings in the squad (look at the amount of keepers in the squad) and accumulated appearances. Albeit he isn't first choice for Peterborough but he's finished the season well.

Plenty other sticks to beat O'Neill with. I think this is just a twig.

DeLorean
11/05/2018, 8:08 AM
What’s the story with Rob Elliot?

This is from the end of March - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-reveals-karl-darlow-14467940

Darlow last featured for the Magpies in the 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace on February 2, filling in for Elliot who has suffered with injury this season and hasn’t started a game since the turn of the year.

The Republic of Ireland international missed out on the trip to Spain, with Benitez feeling it would more beneficial to him, alongside Jesus Gamez, to stay on Tyneside to work on his recovery.

“I was talking with the doctor,” Benitez responded when asked about Elliot’s injury. “Still he is progressing and that is why we did not take him to Spain.

“He and Gamez stayed at Newcastle to work with the physios and the fitness coach.

“We have to wait a little bit for them, but maybe by the start of next month they will be back.”

Fixer82
11/05/2018, 4:10 PM
This is from the end of March - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-reveals-karl-darlow-14467940

Nice one

samhaydenjr
12/05/2018, 12:13 AM
Here we go again... if the manager doesn't pick a LOI player who's doing well it's an insult to the league, followed by "if he was playing for a rubbish League Two team he'd be in the starting line-up". Look, it's great that the LOI has come on a lot since the days when I used to watch hoofball under Noel O'Mahony at the Cross. It's great that it has become a serious pathway to greater things for more and more players. And it's great that Graham Burke is playing so well in the league. But that is not enough to justify a call-up. People might comment sarcastically about players suddenly becoming magically better on the plane to England but the reality is that if an Irish player wants to be considered for the Irish team, he has to be able to perform at the same level as the best Irish players and the best Irish players are playing in the Premier League and The Championship.

Think about it - there's going to be about 15-18 Irish senior internationals at Premier League clubs next season, including players with only a handful of caps or fewer like Declan Rice, Josh Cullen, Matt Doherty and, if Villa go up, Conor hourihane and Scott Hogan; there's also a number of young Irish players who are close to breaking into Premier League teams; there's another handful of experienced internationals who will be playing in The Championship next year; and there's a number of Championship players who should be the priority when handing out friendly caps as preparation for the Nations League... the likes of Alan Browne, Darragh Lenihan, Derrick Williams, Callum O'Dowda, Sean Maguire, Daryl Horgan, Greg Cunningham, Callum Robinson, Aiden O'Brien, maybe even Ryan Manning.

Again, it's no disrespect to the LOI to say that The Championship is a higher standard of football and while players like Sean Maguire and Daryl Maguire have managed to make the step up, other LOI stars like Richie Towell and Chris Forrester have had to settle for League One football (for now, at least). So, best of luck to Graham Burke, I hope his career trajectory continues upwards and that a big English club finds use for his talents soon and that we can make a direct comparison with others. But until that happens, we have numerous candidates for the senior squad with playing records that deserve international recognition more

New callups
Conor O'Malley (GK)
Shaun Williams
Callum Robinson
Graham Burke

I stand corrected

Charlie Darwin
12/05/2018, 2:12 AM
To be fair, we've loads of midfielders and centre halves playing at a good level in England. We are a bit lacking up front (and Maguire probably would have been called up had the calendar fallen a little different) and in a couple of other positions, which is where LOI players can make a case.

Colbert Report
13/05/2018, 3:50 AM
What's the scoop with Ward? Why is he not in the squad?

Olé Olé
13/05/2018, 11:30 AM
What's the scoop with Ward? Why is he not in the squad?

Injury. Has an injury (knee I think) that he never got a chance to rest up and recover from properly during the season so he's taking the opportunity now to give it what it requires, per Keith Andrews on Newstalk during the week.

Colbert Report
13/05/2018, 1:51 PM
In the starting line-up for Burnley today at home to Bournemouth. 7th place is already secure so this game is as meaningless as it could be. I smell a rat. Why not just be honest and say you can't be arsed to line out for a few meaningless friendlies at the end of the season?

Olé Olé
13/05/2018, 2:19 PM
You're not far wrong but I can see the other side of it too- I think it's a fair prioritisation. That said, after his Denmark horror show he should be under pressure for Ireland and we should be taking a long and hard look at Cunningham.

Unlucky for Cunningham too- Cardiff bid for him last summer. They're in the PL now.

OwlsFan
14/05/2018, 4:20 PM
In the starting line-up for Burnley today at home to Bournemouth. 7th place is already secure so this game is as meaningless as it could be. I smell a rat. Why not just be honest and say you can't be arsed to line out for a few meaningless friendlies at the end of the season?

That's a bit harsh on Ward. I don't recollect him missing friendlies in the past. Anyway, we know what he can do so little to be gained by him playing in these games.

DeLorean
14/05/2018, 4:23 PM
Who let Towk back in?!

Colbert Report
15/05/2018, 11:33 PM
That's a bit harsh on Ward. I don't recollect him missing friendlies in the past. Anyway, we know what he can do so little to be gained by him playing in these games.

Hey, I'm with you, but why claim injury when he was good to play the full match the next day? Seems bizarre. Just say you're off on holidays to recharge the batteries and nobody will think less of you. Lying is not cool.

Deckydee
16/05/2018, 6:43 PM
Quick question: does anyone know when the training camp begins?

Closed Account
16/05/2018, 6:49 PM
Quick question: does anyone know when the training camp begins?
They are playing against Celtic on Sunday, May 20 with a 2pm kick-off.
so they'll have to meet up before that....

DeLorean
18/05/2018, 1:46 PM
Eir Sport are showing the USA match.

Deckydee
18/05/2018, 3:07 PM
They are playing against Celtic on Sunday, May 20 with a 2pm kick-off.
so they'll have to meet up before that....

Thanks. Have not read much in the press

DeLorean
19/05/2018, 10:10 AM
18 man Ireland squad for tomorrow's game at Celtic Park - https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/997761315920859136

Doyle, O'Malley, Coleman, D Williams, Egan, Lenihan, Doherty, Stevens, S Williams, McClean, Browne, Meyler, O'Kane, O'Dowda, Robinson, Maguire, Burke, Walters

Olé Olé
19/05/2018, 10:34 AM
Excellent. A lot of names in there that I'd like to see get a run. All names probably. McClean will relish it. Walters is shy of game time and will appreciate it. Fantastic opportunity for Burke.

tetsujin1979
19/05/2018, 10:43 AM
Is it available to watch anywhere

seanfhear
19/05/2018, 11:44 AM
18 man Ireland squad for tomorrow's game at Celtic Park - https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/997761315920859136
Nice to play at Celtic Park .

colonelwest
19/05/2018, 1:36 PM
Is it available to watch anywhere

Far as I know it's not on the box, Celtic/ FAI are missing a trick by not live streaming it on Facebook or something, not an "official" game so not covered by their TV deals etc.

Olé Olé
19/05/2018, 3:48 PM
Just wondering what kind of team Celtic will put out tomorrow given they are on their way to a cup win. Scott Brown could, for one, be very worse for wear tomorrow!

Closed Account
20/05/2018, 12:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ddo_SMPV4AU89lU.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/WVMUWDs.png

Closed Account
20/05/2018, 1:14 PM
Goal for Ireland. Left footer from Alan Browne.

Closed Account
20/05/2018, 1:27 PM
http://www.vipleague.bz/football/573801/1/celtic-vs-republic-of-ireland-live-stream-online.html

pineapple stu
20/05/2018, 3:09 PM
2-2 result. O'Dowda with the second, a cracker in off the bar. Henrik Larsson played the last half hour for Celtic, so I guess we can assume this was largely a waste of time (not that anything else was expected from a testimonial a day after a Cup final in fairness)

All the goals on the FAI twitter feed.

Browne 1-0 (https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/998192966278795265)

Griffiths 1-1 (https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/998204686443401216)

O'Dowda 2-1 (https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/998209593724596224)

Roberts 2-2 (https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/998212260370804737)

Don't see what subs we used yet other than that Graham Burke got a run-out anyway.

Edit - subs used from Dan McDonnell's twitter were Burke, Callum Robinson, Greg Cunningham, Matt Doherty, Conor O'Malley and, a few minutes later, Enda Stevens.

Olé Olé
20/05/2018, 4:50 PM
I see young Johnston started for Celtic. I can remember a poster being very confident he was throwing his hat into our ring. Seems to have gone quiet on that front.

Closed Account
21/05/2018, 2:59 PM

I don't use embedded tweets because they are not visible on desktop for me.

tetsujin1979
22/05/2018, 4:35 PM
Highlights from the testimonial against Celtic
thETPQozK9w

DeLorean
23/05/2018, 10:55 AM
Was that Greg Cunningham demonstrating why we don't play out from the back?

Closed Account
24/05/2018, 2:58 PM
Ireland squad confirmed for friendly games (http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-squad-confirmed-for-friendly-games)
Martin O'Neill has selected a 26-man squad for the Republic of Ireland's international friendly games against France (Monday, May 28) and United States (Saturday, June 2).

24th May 2018

There are first senior call-ups for goalkeepers Shane Supple and Conor O'Malley, midfielder Shaun Williams, and forward Graham Burke. The trio of O'Malley, Williams and Burke featured for an Ireland XI in last week's testimonial match against Celtic.
Both Supple and Burke will balance training & matches with their respective clubs - Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers - with international duty.
Injuries rule out Darren Randolph (groin), Keiren Westwood (groin), Kieran O'Hara (ankle), Ciaran Clark (knee) and Sean Maguire (hamstring), while Callum Robinson is waiting for his international clearance to come through.
Defender John O'Shea will link up with the squad ahead of the USA game.
Republic of Ireland squad
Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle, Conor O'Malley, Shane Supple
Defenders: Seamus Coleman, Matt Doherty, John Egan, Shane Duffy, Kevin Long, Darragh Lenihan, Declan Rice, John O'Shea, Enda Stevens, Derrick Williams, Greg Cunningham
Midfielders: Callum O'Dowda, Harry Arter, Jeff Hendrick, David Meyler, Eunan O'Kane, Alan Browne, Shaun Williams, James McClean, Daryl Horgan
Forwards: Jonathan Walters, Shane Long, Graham Burke

Olé Olé
24/05/2018, 3:03 PM
Real chance for Burke. Squad is thin in parts but quite good given the circumstances.

OwlsFan
24/05/2018, 3:20 PM
Highlights from the testimonial against Celtic
thETPQozK9w

Was the Irish second goal an OG by the keeper? Hard to make out. Did it come off the bar on to the back of the goalie ?

DeLorean
24/05/2018, 3:51 PM
Was the Irish second goal an OG by the keeper? Hard to make out. Did it come off the bar on to the back of the goalie ?

Yeah, looks like that to me too. O'Dowda seems to have been given the credit but if it was a competitive fixture I'd imagine it'd have gone down as an own goal. He was happy to claim it anyway! - https://twitter.com/CallumODowda/status/998284800766238721?s=19

Nice competitive friendly to mark a great achievement by @ScottBrown8 always feels good to grab a goal

pineapple stu
24/05/2018, 4:52 PM
Looks like exactly the kind of squad you want to see in a May friendly. Mix of experienced heads and newbies who may or mayn't make the grade.

The concern is that it's an experimental squad by necessity and not by choice - i.e. this may be the strongest squad available to us at present - but let's roll with the positives for the moment!