PDA

View Full Version : Shelbourne 1-1 UCD

Fair_play_boy
16/03/2005, 11:29 PM
What was the story lads? Are UCD that good?
Report please.

pineapple stu
17/03/2005, 12:41 AM
You sound surprised!

We're the Wimbledon of this league - no-one gives us any credit, everyone has us for the drop, but we know better! Don't forget we were without our captain and our next most experienced player, and gave league debuts to two players (plus Dupuy and Adrian Murphy, who made their UCD debuts).

Report in the UCD section shortly. Alternatively, here's (http://www.shelbournefc.ie/matchzone.php?matchid=181) the report from Shels' website.

Student Mullet
17/03/2005, 12:46 AM
From Shels' Report:
It was in the 22nd minute, that the form book was turned upside down, when from a corner, UCD number 10 , Damian Dupuy headed into the Shelbourne net

I wonder how the form book was turned upside down. UCD have lost 2 games in over a year, Shels finished last season with a terrible run.

P.S. the punctuation is from the report, nothing to do with me.

A face
17/03/2005, 12:52 AM
Lads, how many were there ??

Was it a good game ..... were Shels up to much and did they deserve to claw something back ??

pineapple stu
17/03/2005, 1:16 AM
Trying to work out an estimate for attendance on the attendances thread - not as bad as the 800 apparently mentioned on the radio though. Shels were poor, I thought - very slack in their passing. That said, I don't think (I know I didn't!) they expected us to come at them the way they did - took them off guard. Draw was probably fair overall.

A lot being made about the penalty being dodgy - my first reaction was that Crowe was taken out of it, and it was a stonewall penalty. Will see what TV3 make of it on monday I suppose. Ah the joys of being back in the Premier! :)

tiktok
17/03/2005, 9:48 AM
Popped along to the game last night.

I'd say the crowd was about double the estimate given on the radio, though I'm a terrible judge of numbers.

People are making a lot of Shel's dropping points, truth is that UCD were well organised and hard to break down and they'll cause every club bother.

Bobby Ryan looks like a waste of a paycheck, Hawkins struggled and Crowe wandered aimlessly though it was a peno. O'Neill did very well, looks a better player with more quality around him.

I think I caught a cold too :(

Fair_play_boy
17/03/2005, 8:13 PM
Lads, how many were there ??I came close to choking when I read that question first. For a moment I thought you meant how many Shels players turned up. :D

The Sheliban
17/03/2005, 8:17 PM
Can't argue with any of the comments made so far. Shels looked like a team with four debutantes, Rogers couldn't find a red shirt all night, Heary's distribution wasn't much better, Hawkins looked okay when bringing the ball out of defence a la Beckenbauer, looked pretty horrendous when robbed twice trying to do it, O'Neill looked lively up front, Crowe looked like he was trying to figure out the game-plan (did we have one?), our two touchline-huggers were completely shut out my a tenacious College midfield, and only the God that is Stewie Byrne performed anything like his usual standard.
That said, College really only had one decent chance, and took it. We only had two decent attempts on goal, a Heary header, and a Heary shot. From 100 yards away, the penno looked pretty stonewall.
Throughout all of last season, Shels had very very few easy games - maybe Harps in the Cup. Don't know why people think things should be any different this time. UCD were too good to go down last time, and I expect them to stay up with ease this time around.

The Sheliban
17/03/2005, 8:20 PM
Attendance? New Stand holds about 900, and I'd say it was nearly full. Main Stand holds 2500 and I'd say it was between a third and a half full - estimate around 1800-2000.

thejollyrodger
17/03/2005, 8:24 PM
i have to agree with the above. UCD are being written off, it was a very industrious display by them .

Slash/ED
17/03/2005, 8:29 PM
our two touchline-huggers were completely shut out my a tenacious College midfield

Something I've been saying for a long time now is exactly that, you can't play two out and out wide men in a 4-4-2 system, you'll be destroyed. That's why 4-1-4-1 worked so well in Europe last year, if you play two touchline huggers with two central mid fielders you'll be dominated. That's why, if Ryan plays on the right, I'd start with Weso or Moore on the left, two players who will drift into the middle. If Ollie starts on the left, then you have to play Wes or Ndo on the right for the same reasons. We started to play a bit when Hoolahan came on for O'Neill and it bulked up the mid field, now that he's fit enough to start I can see him coming in for Ollie and either starting on the left or in the middle with Moore on the left. I'd have Ndo beside Stuey then when he's back.

De Town
18/03/2005, 9:06 AM
i have to agree with the above. UCD are being written off, it was a very industrious display by them .
I might be wrong, but were you not online here during the game? If so, how would you know if it was an industrious display or not ;)

You were (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=23053&highlight=Useless+Newstalk) ;)

Schumi
18/03/2005, 10:40 AM
our two touchline-huggers were completely shut out my a tenacious College midfield, and only the God that is Stewie Byrne performed anything like his usual standard.I was surprised that Hoolahan didn't start, he's always looked a step above anyone else on the pitch when I've seen him play and Shels threatened more when he came on.

From 100 yards away, the penno looked pretty stonewall.If I said it looked a dive from 15 or 20 away, would you believe me? ;)

UCD were too good to go down last time, and I expect them to stay up with ease this time around.I don't know I should be happy about this or not. ;)

Attendance? New Stand holds about 900, and I'd say it was nearly full. Main Stand holds 2500 and I'd say it was between a third and a half full - estimate around 1800-2000.The main stand looked a lot fuller than that to me, about 2/3rds full I thought. That'd make a crowd of about 2500 which is close to an official figure I saw somewhere.

Roo69
18/03/2005, 10:46 AM
The main stand looked a lot fuller than that to me, about 2/3rds full I thought. That'd make a crowd of about 2500 which is close to an official figure I saw somewhere.

The new stand was full and the main stand was just about full, defo a crowd of well over 2000

pineapple stu
18/03/2005, 12:39 PM
That said, College really only had one decent chance, and took it.
But harsh. We had a couple of frees around the edge of the area in the first half, while we also had a couple of shots in the penalty area which were unfortunately either blocked or scuffed. Never made Williams work, though.

pineapple stu
18/03/2005, 12:40 PM
I might be wrong, but were you not online here during the game? If so, how would you know if it was an industrious display or not ;)

You were (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=23053&highlight=Useless+Newstalk) ;)
Nice! :D

Slash/ED
18/03/2005, 12:45 PM
I was surprised that Hoolahan didn't start, he's always looked a step above anyone else on the pitch when I've seen him play and Shels threatened more when he came on.

Wes had a knock, I was suprised he even came on as he was a major doubt before the match. I agree with you though, he's a class act and needs to play.