PDA

View Full Version : Shels 1 - 1 UCD

Student Mullet
16/03/2005, 10:05 PM
UCD in skillfull play shocker!

Shels would want to up the fitness levels if they want to stay clear of the drop zone.

bambi
16/03/2005, 10:26 PM
should have beaten them,im disgusted. that ref couldn't wait to give them something. minimal contact for the peno. That fat so and so went down like a sack of potatoes,im disgisted :mad: :mad: :mad:

Roo69
17/03/2005, 12:37 AM
I went into the match myself, UCD can feel quite hard done by, they deserved all 3 points from tonights match. Played really well, every player was excellent - Dupay could run for fecking Ireland, jesus he never stopped ! Was never a peno, bet if it had of been at the other end not a chance he would have given it. You keeper had a fantastic game as well

Dissapointed with Shels, not one of there players played well, ok, well Stuey Byrne was very good, but apart from that they were extremely average - the 3 big signing were muck and Dave Rogers was shocking.

If UCD can reproduce that form for the rest of the season they wont have anything what so ever to worry about. But UCD always play well in the 1st match of the season, well for the past few seasons anyway.

pineapple stu
17/03/2005, 1:13 AM
YYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D :cool: :p

I mean...

UCD confounded those "experts" who had them down for a season fighting relegation with a thoroughly deserved point from their opening tie against reigning champions Shelbourne in Tolka Park tonight. From the off, they showed that they weren't going to be intimidated by their supposedly superior opponents, and Shels can have no complaints about the result, which will have been of interest to the entire league, and in particular to former manager Paul Doolin, who was in the crowd ahead of next week's tie between UCD and Drogheda in Belfield.

As expected, Rob McAuley wasn't fit to take his place, and was replaced at left-back by former Shels U-21 player Conor Kenna. As not expected, Pete Mahon gave league debuts to two players - centre-back Brian Shortall and centre-mid Stephen Murphy - while Damien Dupuy started up front alongside Robbie Martin, with Adrian Murphy started on the bench. While Shortall did a very good job marking Irish international Glen Crowe, Murphy's debut lasted just 13 minutes before he went off injured after a clash of heads, to be replaced by Colm Kierans. Shels for their part gave debuts to Glen Crowe, Gary O'Neill, Bobby Ryan and Colin Hawkins.

Over the course of a largely uneventful first 45 minutes - not helped b ythe swirling wing - the Students just about had the better of the chances. Damien Dupuy in particular impressed with his strength and ability to hold up the ball, was at the fore of what chances College created. A couple of dangerous frees around the edge of the area unfortunately came to nothing - Mick O'Donnell blazing over one effort. However, UCD's passing game caused Shels' defence, and more than once they got into dangerous positions in the Shels area, with Robbie Martin snatching at one chance after Shels repeatedly failed to clear.

At the other end, UCD's defence wasn't stretched particularly, but when it was called into action, it was imperious. Ollie Cahill had one of Shels' better efforts from 15 yards, but his shot was straight at Darren Quigley. However, all too often, slack passing from Shels proved their downfall, as too many simple passes found touch needlessly.

Pat Fenlon can't have been happy with his side's performance, and judging by the way Shels came out for the second half, he made sure his players knew it during the interval. They upped their tempo but the UCD defence held firm, with Alan Mahon in particular impressing. Owen Heary headed narrowlye over the bar, while Glen Crowe did on the odd occasion give Shortall and McNally the slip, but Darren Quigley's command of his penalty area was impressive, and barring one high cross which he let drop - either he or Pat McWalter blocked the resulting Shels shot on the edge of the area - he came for and collected pretty much anything Shels threw at him. Another occasion saw Quigley gather at the feet of Crowe, whose momentum casued him to run on and meet Quigley's head with his boot - it looked a 50/50 challenge, but referee Paul Tuite brandished a yellow card.

Although Shels had been becoming more and more dangerous, it was UCD who took the lead midway through the half when a corner from the right was met with a glancing header from Damien Dupuy into the far corner of the net.

Again, Shels came at the College, replacing O'Neill with Hoolihan and Cahill with Richer Baker. College brought off goalscorer Dupuy and gave a fourth UCD debut - this one to Adrian Murphy. As the minutes ticked down, it looked like an unlikely - 8/1 in some bookmakers, in fact - victory was on the cards. Irish U-19 international Gary Dicker was brilliant in midfield, overshadowing senior international Alan Moore for long spells. However, in the last ten minutes, Shels got in a series of dangerous crosses and corners, and the pressure finally told with four miuntes to go. Glen Crowe - who had had an off day until then - burst through the UCD defence and was taken down by Conor Kenna for what (in my opinion, anyway, though I seem to be alone in that belief!) was a clear penalty. Unfortunately, my voodoo curse on Crowe and penalties wasn't tested as Stuart Byrne took the spot kick and calmly beat Quigley.

Mahon responded by taking off Robbie Martin - booked while complaining after the goal - and putting on Kieran Foley, leaving College to face the final 4 minutes (plus four more minutes of injury time) playing a risky 5-4-1 formation; however, Shels never seriously threatened a winner which would have been harsh on UCD. At the final whistle, the College players were visibly delighted - an unexpected point and a hugely encouraging performance from what should be our toughest assignment all season (at least until we come back here again). Earlier in the week, Gary Dicker had talked about European qualification this season - after this performance, why not?

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Kenna, McNally, Shortall; S Murphy (Kierans 13), McWalter, Dicker, O'Donnell; Martin (Foley 87), Dupuy (Adrian Murphy 72). Subs not used - Gallagher, Gannon

Att - c 1800.

Poor Student
17/03/2005, 7:52 AM
Argh, I wasn't there but very bittersweet. No Tony Mac and no Anto Murphy, even Murphy eile gets injured yet we almost beat them but lose out on a late peno. Good for Dupuy to get settled into a goal scoring rythm from the start. Lets hope with Tony Mac back we can get sweet revenge against Doolo next week.

Schumi
17/03/2005, 4:34 PM
Excellent performance, especially from the midfield given that we were missing half of our first choice. Quigley was brilliant, cut out every through ball that came into the box. I'd like to see the peno again, it looked a bit harsh to me at the time but I'd like to see it with some kind of objective eye before I brand Crowe a diving ba$tard as well as a fat ba$tard. :D

Poor Student
17/03/2005, 4:59 PM
So is Dicker the real deal? Could we expect to see him partnering Tony Mac in the middle this season?

Schumi
17/03/2005, 5:18 PM
I would think so.

pineapple stu
17/03/2005, 6:37 PM
Nice to see us getting reports in the media again! I'd almost missed the likes of "UCD nearly teach Shels a lesson" (eleven-a-side - which also advises you to "Right the students off at your peril!" :eek:) and "Shels teach Students harsh lesson" (The Star)

Make it stop!!! :p

Slash/ED
17/03/2005, 7:19 PM
Nice to see us getting reports in the media again! I'd almost missed the likes of "UCD nearly teach Shels a lesson" (eleven-a-side - which also advises you to "Right the students off at your peril!" :eek:) and "Shels teach Students harsh lesson" (The Star)

Make it stop!!! :p

Funny that because on the way into the ground someone turned around to me and said "The one thing we don't want is to see another one of those poxy 'students teach Shels a lesson' headlines tomorrow" :D

pineapple stu
17/03/2005, 7:40 PM
Thread (http://www.shelbournefc.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2044&sid=9b128565bcd37ade7a2d89ba2a226ab3) on the Shels forum on the match.

pineapple stu
17/03/2005, 8:10 PM
Just looking at the programme there - Pat Fenlon welcomes "our visitors from College Park"! Don't think it's us who play there, Pat! :eek: Think it's a certain Sh!te college! :)

town73
17/03/2005, 8:53 PM
What was Adrian Murphy like when he came on?

Roo69
17/03/2005, 10:29 PM
What was Adrian Murphy like when he came on?

vert quite as an attacking option but at that stage UCD were'nt much of an attacking force - but neither were shels. Did well in tracking back and making things awarkward for the Shels centre halfs

CollegeTillIDie
17/03/2005, 11:01 PM
So now that we are second in the League in Alphabetical order, what are the odds on a top two finish? :p

Terry
18/03/2005, 7:18 AM
Hard Luck UCD, everyone said you were robbed!! :(

Congrats Damo!! :) Great to see you have started with UCD where you left off at GUFC. Hope it continues. Lads, this guy will get ye places this year!

Schumi
18/03/2005, 10:30 AM
So now that we are second in the League in Alphabetical order
We're top on IQ tie-break. :D

CollegeTillIDie
18/03/2005, 10:36 AM
Schumi

We start every season with more points than any other team...CAO Points that is :D ... now one question was it Murphy or Hurley that played in Midfield V Shels.
The Press and the FAI say Hurley.... pineapple stu and the Shelbourne website say Murphy... I wasn't there because I was flying back from South America... so which one was it?

Schumi
18/03/2005, 10:43 AM
now one question was it Murphy or Hurley that played in Midfield V Shels.
The Press and the FAI say Hurley.... pineapple stu and the Shelbourne website say MurphyI think Murphy was announced at the game but it was a bit hard to hear. I'd say that may have been a mistake and it was actually Hurley. I'm not sure.

I wasn't there because I was flying back from South America... so which one was it?As I was saying to someone yesterday, that's no excuse for not being there. ;)

CollegeTillIDie
18/03/2005, 5:06 PM
I think Murphy was announced at the game but it was a bit hard to hear. I'd say that may have been a mistake and it was actually Hurley. I'm not sure.
As I was saying to someone yesterday, that's no excuse for not being there. ;)

They changed the date of the game after I had bought the tickets man ! :confused:

Schumi
21/03/2005, 10:31 AM
They changed the date of the game after I had bought the tickets man ! :confused:
It was a joke. :rolleyes: