PDA

View Full Version : Airplane bomb verdict due

liam88
16/03/2005, 4:31 PM
The verdict of the air India bomb which killed 329 people (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4349967.stm) is due today.
Three Sikh's on trial accused of bombing the palne in a call for an independent Sikh Punjab state. The deadliest aviation attack before September 11th. Does anyone remember the day they brought the bodies into Cork airport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/23/newsid_2518000/2518857.stm)?
Hope the families can move on after tonight and all the victims RIP

lopez
16/03/2005, 8:03 PM
Long time ago and long before you were born. Just amazed it's taken so long to get some sort of justice.

liam88
16/03/2005, 8:08 PM
Long time ago and long before you were born. Just amazed it's taken so long to get some sort of justice.
Aye I know-20 years; my oldest brother was only 1; never really knew about it before so just interested in it now.
They were found not guilty by the way

lopez
16/03/2005, 8:31 PM
Aye I know-20 years; my oldest brother was only 1; never really knew about it before so just interested in it now.
They were found not guilty by the waySorry didn't read the story.

I remember I was in Delhi early in the morning and had arrived from Bangkok. Anyone with a turban was told to walk through a metal detector machine. The police just kept telling them to walk through - again and again and again - and I thought they're just taking the p*ss. It was humiliation. The next day I heard that the airport departure loung had been bombed with a small device in the roof. I couldn't believe that the airport remained opened. Can't remember who was responsible for this but it was June 1991 less than a month after Gandhi's son was assasinated and hundreds were killed in the usual inter-communal violence that happens after such an event in India.

A couple of days later I was with Conchita walking around a golf course attached to our hotel, cheifly fascinated by the hundreds of vultures in the trees. A smartly dressed Anglo-Indian started talking to us and asked our nationality. He then came out with an extraordinary statement in view of the events of the previous month: 'Ahh Irish. What is all this killing in Ireland about? Can't you live together in peace?'