PDA

View Full Version : Pires misses out on France squad again

eirebhoy
16/03/2005, 1:52 PM
Robert Pires' hopes of a return to international football have been dashed after he was left out of the France squad for the forthcoming Group Four World Cup qualifiers against Switzerland and Israel, while injured striker Thierry Henry was called up.

The French coach Raymond Domenech made six changes from the squad which drew O-0 with Ireland and defeated Cyprus 2-0 last October. He called up defenders Eric Abidal and Willy Sagnol, midfielders Camel Meriem and Benoit Pedrettti, and strikers Vikash Dhorasoo and Florent Malouda.

With eight points from four games, France top their group level with Israel and Ireland.

Domenech was unable to call upon Sebastien Squillaci as he has an ankle injury, which creates a vacancy for Newcastle's Jean-Alain Boumsong. Arsenal striker Thierry Henry has a side strain but has been included nonetheless, alongside team-mate Patrick Vieira and Chelsea defender William Gallas.

Pires was not included in the 20-man party even though the Arsenal midfielder has refused to retire from Les Bleus duty and remains available for selection.

The 31-year-old, who has 79 caps for Les Bleus and played an integral part in the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 successes, has not been called up to the national side since the 2-0 World Cup qualifying win over Cyprus on October 13.

Pires was substituted at half-time and then refused to sit on the bench, before suggesting after the game that Domenech had personal issues with him.

France face Switzerland at the Stade de France on March 26 before going to Israel four days later and Pires has not given up hope of continuing his international career.

"I cannot see myself stopping before the World Cup as I cannot wait to celebrate my 80th cap," he added.

Squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon)

Defenders: Patrice Evra (Monaco), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (Monaco), Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Sebastien Squillaci (Monaco), Jonathan Zebina (Juventus)

Midfielders: Camel Meriem (Girondins Bordeaux), Rio Mavuba (Girondins Bordeaux), Olivier Dacourt (AS Roma), Benoit Pedretti (Olympique Marseille), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal), Vikash Dhorasoo (AC Milan)

Forwards: Ludovic Giuly (Barcelona), Peguy Luyindula (Olympique Marseille), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Louis Saha (Manchester United), Florent Malouda (Olympique Lyon)
This Domenech seems a stubborn chap. :)

Stuttgart88
16/03/2005, 2:07 PM
Was any action ever taken against Barthez for his elbow on O'Brien?

Green Tribe
16/03/2005, 2:10 PM
Serves him right, maybe the boss has seen him for what he is, a cheating, diving wee fecker! domenech is under pressure, he needs to produce results, so far les Francais have been producing poor results. ;)

Green Tribe
16/03/2005, 3:35 PM
Was any action ever taken against Barthez for his elbow on O'Brien?

don't think so, typical :rolleyes:

Bowsy
17/03/2005, 12:36 PM
I'd rather he was in the squad,he's having a bad season and is a bit of an ego maniac,the team can only get better with him missing.

agreed. Greg Coupet is a superior keeper IMO. I'm happy for Domenech to stick with Barthez