PDA

View Full Version : Midfield Solution

ilovejam
15/03/2005, 8:39 PM
Quoted on fai.ie that Gary Dicker should be partnered by under 21 rookie Stephen Hurley. Robbie Mc. still injured which should mean Conor Kenna will take up the left back position and leave Mick O' Donnell wide on the left.

Many UCD fans going to the game? Should be alot of neutrals there and alot cheering on UCD as the underdogs tend to get the sympathy vote!

CollegeTillIDie
15/03/2005, 9:12 PM
Cannot go to the game as I will be leaving South America to head back home while it was on. I made these travel arrangements thinking we would be playing on Friday night 18 March. Anyway will be back in time to read the papers and watch the live game on TV assuming it is on terrestrial TV ...is it?

pineapple stu
15/03/2005, 10:12 PM
Worked for our last (indeed, only) win over them out there! Put in James Timmons for some reason, who played a blinder and we won 1-0.

Tony Mac and Robin are suspended, so Dicker looks a cert to start. If Robbie Mac's injured, that'll be Newguy at left back. So we need another centre mid. Kierans has been playing there pre-season...?

Probably missing someone really obvious though!

Schumi
16/03/2005, 11:08 AM
Quoted on fai.ie that Gary Dicker should be partnered by under 21 rookie Stephen Hurley. Robbie Mc. still injured which should mean Conor Kenna will take up the left back position and leave Mick O' Donnell wide on the left. :( Not too hopeful. Never heard of this Hurley guy, has he played in any of the pre-season games? Kenna at left-back isn't inspiring, he hasn't looked good there any time I've seen him. There has to be a better way of organising a back four, put Micko at left-back or something.

Many UCD fans going to the game? Should be alot of neutrals there and alot cheering on UCD as the underdogs tend to get the sympathy vote!
About 5,000 I'd say. Oh this isn't the Cork section, sorry.

Anyway will be back in time to read the papers and watch the live game on TV assuming it is on terrestrial TV ...is it?Bohs-Rovers on Friday is on RTE.

Poor Student
16/03/2005, 11:09 AM
I won't be there as I am abroad at the moment. Anyone reckon it'll be broadcast on the web? Maybe newstalk? I'm at a loss as to who we'll put out in centre mid. I'd imagine Dicker anyway. Possibly Kierans. I mean Mahon has known those two would be out so surely he's been using pre-season to see what to do for this game. Anyone know if Dupuy will play? Did he play any pre-season games?

Schumi
16/03/2005, 11:28 AM
Article here (http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=262796&Title=Shels+and+UCD+aiming+for+flying+start&lid=Eircom+League&sub=Shels+and+UCD+aiming+for+flying+start&navlid=&sublid=) incidentally. It says that Dupuy is in contention for a start but I don't know if that's just lazy speculation or if he is actually fit. There are quotes from Pete Mahon there so I assume he told them about the Dicker-Stephen Hurley midfield, it's hardly a line up you'd guess.

Poor Student
16/03/2005, 11:33 AM
Article here (http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=262796&Title=Shels+and+UCD+aiming+for+flying+start&lid=Eircom+League&sub=Shels+and+UCD+aiming+for+flying+start&navlid=&sublid=) incidentally. It says that Dupuy is in contention for a start but I don't know if that's just lazy speculation or if he is actually fit. There are quotes from Pete Mahon there so I assume he told them about the Dicker-Stephen Hurley midfield, it's hardly a line up you'd guess.

Who is this Hurley chap? Did he play any games last year?

Schumi
16/03/2005, 11:36 AM
He must have been in the under 21s I suppose. I've never heard of him before.

Poor Student
16/03/2005, 12:01 PM
He must have been in the under 21s I suppose. I've never heard of him before.

Well given the quality of last year's U21s I guess it's not too frightening.

ilovejam
16/03/2005, 1:44 PM
Take a look at Hurley tonight and see in many ways he is very similar to Stephen Gerrard. Saw a great number of UCD 21's games last season. Great through balls and a very tough tackler...

I think Micko will be left on the wing as the Under 21 centre half did a great job there during pre season which will push Kenna into the left back spot in my view anyway. Didn't Kenna play left back last year at the start a few times??

Suppose only time will tell as to what the line-up will be, less than 5 hours to go till the stadium announcer shouts aloud :confused: :)

Schumi
16/03/2005, 2:04 PM
Take a look at Hurley tonight and see in many ways he is very similar to Stephen Gerrard. Saw a great number of UCD 21's games last season. Great through balls and a very tough tackler...Sounds good, wouldn't be the first time a player I've never heard of before appears and plays a stormer.

I think Micko will be left on the wing as the Under 21 centre half did a great job there during pre season which will push Kenna into the left back spot in my view anyway. Didn't Kenna play left back last year at the start a few times??Is this Kieran Foley or did someone else play in the last 2 friendlies (Irish Amateurs and Dundalk)?

Kenna played at left-back in a few friendlies last year (Longford and Home Farm I think) and didn't really impress me there, fantastic at centre-back though obviously. I'd worry about Bobby Ryan or Wes Hoolahan on Shels' right.

pineapple stu
16/03/2005, 2:47 PM
Sounds good, wouldn't be the first time a player I've never heard of before appears and plays a stormer.
True - remember James Timmons in our only league win away against Shels? :)

Hurley's not made the bench yet, but you can't argue the strength of the U-21 team. Honestly can't think who'd go in centre-mid, unless Mahon goes with Kenna and Foley at centre-back and Allie Mac in centre-mid. But that seems unlikely really.

I'd worry about...Wes Hoolahan on Shels' right.
Won't have to worry about him anyway - he's injured. As are Ndo and Fitzpatrick.

Schumi
16/03/2005, 2:52 PM
Won't have to worry about him anyway - he's injured. As are Ndo :) Yay.
and Fitzpatrick.
:( Boo.

ilovejam
16/03/2005, 2:58 PM
The young centre half played in the last two pre season games as far as im aware. Maybe the fact there maybe a few making a debut could be a good thing for college, places up for grabs im sure these people wont wanna just be 'fill-ins' while theres a few suspended and injured etc. and hopefully give Pete Mahon a headache for next week also! And to keep the whole guessing games going on this thread!!

Schumi
18/03/2005, 12:24 PM
Take a look at Hurley tonight and see in many ways he is very similar to Stephen Gerrard. Saw a great number of UCD 21's games last season. Great through balls and a very tough tackler...

I think Micko will be left on the wing as the Under 21 centre half did a great job there during pre season which will push Kenna into the left back spot in my view anyway. Didn't Kenna play left back last year at the start a few times??

Suppose only time will tell as to what the line-up will be, less than 5 hours to go till the stadium announcer shouts aloud :confused: :)
Hats off, you were spot on!

pineapple stu
18/03/2005, 12:28 PM
Suppose it was bound to happen eventually! ;)

But was it Stpehen Murphy or Hurley who played? I thought Murphy, the FAI website has Hurley and I'm sure the Star or the Examiner had Murphy as well. Anyone able to clear this up for once and for all?! Pity we didn't get to see more of him though before the injury.

Schumi
18/03/2005, 12:34 PM
It was announced as Murphy wasn't it? Must have been a mistake I'd say, hardly another new player!

pineapple stu
18/03/2005, 12:37 PM
True...wouldn't be the first time...still remember Ricky Martin lining out for us in Dalymount once! :eek: :D

ilovejam
18/03/2005, 4:45 PM
Hats off, you were spot on!

Pity i didnt do wednesdays lotto eh??!!
Its 100% hurley BTW.

Oh and CTID, you wern't in South America by any chance??? :D :D :D :p :p