PDA

View Full Version : Worst player...

pineapple stu
15/03/2005, 5:35 PM
Don't know if this has been done before, but seems the obvious question to pose in parallel to the Club Cult Hero thread.

Who is the worst/most disliked player/manager your club has had? I'm sure this could get interesting, especially if someone appears on both lists! :)

For UCD...Has to be Paul Doolin (cue moaning from the Drogs fans! ;) ). Got us relegated with a decent squad, made some woeful signings, ignored the scholarship scheme and then had some very high-profile, spiteful and ill-informed spats in the papers after.

Playerwise...can't get much worse than Barry Andrews. Or so I'm told - missed his only game for us. 3-2 defeat to Bray in the League Cup, where he was responsible for at least two of the goals. I'm sure Bray fans may have fond memories of him though!

sligoman
15/03/2005, 5:45 PM
Think it has been done before but, Darren Jack for us, simply because he was a striker who could'nt score any goals :mad:

harpskid
15/03/2005, 6:15 PM
The Dick Van Dykes :mad:

dortie
15/03/2005, 6:31 PM
The Dick Van Dykes :mad:

Great player with Derry when he contributed to our 1997 league title.

Felix Healy has to be the biggest ass wipe in Irish football.

harpskid
15/03/2005, 6:41 PM
Felix Healy has to be the biggest ass wipe in Irish football.

Indeed he also contributed hugely to Derry's success... :rolleyes:

Troy.McClure
15/03/2005, 6:48 PM
Would probably put Liam O'Brien slightly ahead of Noel Heartigan and Gerald Dobbs although I always thought that Heartigan got more grief than he should have, especially as he was an internationally capped player ;)

dortie
15/03/2005, 6:48 PM

Never said he didnt, i did say he is a complete ass wipe though.

dortie
15/03/2005, 6:50 PM

Never said he didnt.....read the question again boy.....

Who is the worst/most disliked player/manager

Felix Ass-wipe Healy

BobtheDrog
15/03/2005, 7:15 PM
Manager: Eddie May came in after Martin Lawlor and got relegated he had recently left cardiff city and brought in some of their younger players on Loan Nugent who was pretty decent and Dai Thomas who wasnt (he's also now banned from attending football anywhere in the uk due to his participation in the hooliganism in euro 2000) also brought in Rod Wallaces brother Ray, the club was broke and spent a year rebuilding before anything cud be done.

Player: Those of you who may have over the last year or so picked upa copy of Forza Drogs the drogheda fanzine may have noted that it always contains 'The Dave Smith award' this award is given to sumone who shows complete ineptitude or that we just don't like (Referee Jim O'Neill has won on several occassions) this is due to the fact that in our first year back up in the Premier division we signed an experienced defender named David Smith who had made numeous appearances in the Nationwide leagues, one can only look back and wonder how, he was muck and on big wages he played a handful of games before returning home to his family in Liverpool although still being payed needless to say not as popular guy on Boyneside.

aido_b
15/03/2005, 7:42 PM
Has to be Trevor Molloy, never liked him even when he played for Bohs!

A face
16/03/2005, 12:36 AM
Has to be Trevor Molloy, never liked him even when he played for Bohs!

Yeah but you're bound to say that aren't ya !! :eek: :D

Carlin
16/03/2005, 2:03 AM
Manager: Well it has to be Mahon doesn't it. Totally out of his depth and moany ******** who blamed the supporters when it all went wrong :rolleyes:

Player: Well at the moment it's Keddy. Utter shíte.

Terry
16/03/2005, 7:33 AM
worst player for GUFC (off hand) Ryan Lucas :rolleyes: or Sean Byrne :(

Hibs4Ever
16/03/2005, 7:36 AM
At moment Gary McPhee

Hope he proves me wrong though

ciaran76
16/03/2005, 7:37 AM
Manager: Well it has to be Mahon doesn't it. Totally out of his depth and moany ******** who blamed the supporters when it all went wrong :rolleyes:

Player: Well at the moment it's Keddy. Utter shíte.

Have to agree Keddy it poor.

BrAyCMilan
16/03/2005, 7:58 AM
For us as poor players go, well at the moment (and the past couple of seasons!) it has to be daddy's boy Stephen Long (yep, Devo's son in Law). I'd say it was part the deal in giving him a contract "you take my daughter of my hands and I'll give you a run out on a friday night"!!). As poor managers go, we've only really ever had the one! Dev-yoyo!!!!!

Ash
16/03/2005, 8:09 AM
Jebus, where do I start ...
Most recently Niall Donnelly-had him on loan from Drogs, he's now with Bray.
Possibly the most talentless "player" Ive ever seen

Back through the years...
Glen Fitzpatrick
Peter Finn
Eamon Donoghue
Mark Patton
Eric Smyth

Alan McNevin and Shane Harte got a hard time, Alan just never fitted
into th eteam and Shane was too lazy. Of course both banged in goals
against us when they left!

Managers:
Joey Malone - made some dubious signings, although he did bring Jan Fitzell
to the club and he was deadly

Dermot Keely - walked away after a few weeks at the club.

Roo69
16/03/2005, 8:21 AM
For us as poor players go, well at the moment (and the past couple of seasons!) it has to be daddy's boy Stephen Long (yep, Devo's son in Law). I'd say it was part the deal in giving him a contract "you take my daughter of my hands and I'll give you a run out on a friday night"!!). As poor managers go, we've only really ever had the one! Dev-yoyo!!!!!

If your gonna hate him so much and slag him off - at least get his name right !

Neish
16/03/2005, 8:26 AM
Marty McCann

BrAyCMilan
16/03/2005, 8:34 AM
whether his name is spelt with a "ph" or a "v", he is still brutal!!

joey B
16/03/2005, 8:46 AM
I hated Gareth Gorman ponsy p*ick who could'nt play and he made a good effort to break vaudequin's leg in 1999.Good to see he's a joke at Sligo too :D

trevy
16/03/2005, 10:09 AM
Kevin O'Brien who was at Waterford United would be the one for us as he was the chairmans son and strong rumour was he had to be picked. He was not a good player but still stayed in the team/ squad as managers were probably afraid to get the sack.He finally left before the start of this season so that problem is gone now :D .

Schumi
16/03/2005, 11:44 AM
Glen Fitzpatrick. He was consistently $hite with us (and Athlone i believe) and suddenly starts scoring goals when he goes to Rovers and Shels, he fits both 'worst' and 'dsiliked'.

ilovejam
16/03/2005, 3:04 PM
whether his name is spelt with a "ph" or a "v", he is still brutal!!
His name is Kieth Long you nut!

Aberdonian Stu
16/03/2005, 3:11 PM
Says he who spells it with an ie, it's Keith!

BrAyCMilan
16/03/2005, 3:30 PM
i stand corrected!!!!

Roo69
16/03/2005, 3:51 PM
i stand corrected!!!!

:rolleyes: and you call yourself a Bray fan

BrAyCMilan
16/03/2005, 5:24 PM
Well Roo, being the trure Bray fan that you are, who is our worst ever player / manager??? Is it Devo for both when he was our Player/manager??!!

Maynard
16/03/2005, 5:33 PM
Easy one really...THE ROD!

Worst player, hmm well Mark Kenny would certainly win worst captain, (and possibly fattest/slowest player) but he passed alright so that leaves Efan Ekoku and Pierre Ennis, but Ennis had an amazing 2nd half against Bohs in Dayler when we won 4-2, so it's gotta be Efan. The guy looked strong and fit in person...but my God, I've never seen such a bad player...he couldn't even foul properly :eek:

De Town
16/03/2005, 5:50 PM
Manager: There has been a few :D

Player: Paddy Mulvihill, wouldn't kick snow off a rope :o

Éanna
16/03/2005, 5:56 PM
Manager: Gunther. Poor football, disliked by players and insulted the fans. he couldn't have done much more wrong if he'd tried short of getting us relegated or bankrupting us :rolleyes:

Player: Close call between Liam "Fat money-grabbing thug" O'Brien and Noel "pace of an asthmatic ant" Hartigan. In fairness to Hartigan he did score the winner in a league cup final and he was played out of position most of the time, so the award goes to BLOB. He spent a year at City -I won't say he played for us, because he didn't. In that time he played and scored away to waterford and shams. And did nothing else...... apart from "grace" us with his presence every second weekend to collect his wages and stand in the centre circle for 90 mins, as well as doing his best to destroy morale in the dressing room through his obnoxious arrogant behaviour. The worst thing is, he was an unbelievably talented player :mad: Also, he did grab me and threaten to slap me up in Dalymount for calling him "Judas" (I know, a lot of people will congratulate him for it too ;) )

De Town
16/03/2005, 6:00 PM
Manager: Gunther. Poor football, disliked by players and insulted the fans. he couldn't have done much more wrong if he'd tried short of getting us relegated or bankrupting us :rolleyes:
Who's Gunther :confused:

TonyD
16/03/2005, 7:51 PM
Most disliked player at Pats - Dave Campbell would get a lot of votes, ditto Donal Broughan, who would also score highly in the worst player stakes. However my vote for worst player is Alan Kinsella. Allegedly a full back, he played a couple of times during the Brian Kerr era, 94-95 I think. Appalling player. Couldn't keep the ball on the pitch. Later ended up as Physio at Shels.

pineapple stu
17/03/2005, 12:46 AM
Who's Gunther :confused:
Liam Murphy. Beloved by all at Cork and the inspiration behind the fanzine's name!

Roo69
17/03/2005, 10:45 PM
Well Roo, being the trure Bray fan that you are, who is our worst ever player / manager??? Is it Devo for both when he was our Player/manager??!!

Nope for me it would be Barry O'Connor for being just so inconsistant, great onbe week (smasha hat-trick) and then couldnt kick snow off a rope the next week, or, Paul Keegan, great player with bags of talent but never really showed it at Bray because he was always fecking injuried, spent more time on the physios table than the pitch. and for Manager i'd probably go for John Holmes.

CollegeTillIDie
18/03/2005, 9:31 AM
Player:Brendan Hughes,........ and got the **** bait out off him up at training before he walked out off the club.

Can you blame him for walking after that experience? sheesh :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
18/03/2005, 9:47 AM
pineapple stu

Just for you here's the start of the worst ever UCD League of Ireland/el XI

In goal Ok Barry Andrews wins ahead of
Stefan Backes ( 1 game in 1995/96 away to Rovers); Paul Brogan a goals against average of almost 3 per game(not all down to him to be fair);

right-back :
left-back :
Centre-back : Niall Donnelly... enough said
Centre-back :

right-mid : Brian Dunne( 1979-80)... had pace to burn just couldn't kick a ball
centre-mid :
centre-mid :
left-mid :

Striker... Fintan Drury 2 goals in 37 League games
Striker....Ken Kilmurray.. 4 goals in over 70 league games

Honrourable mentions
Frank Devlin.. scored over a hundred League goals at his many other clubs 0 in 16 League games at Belfield; however did shine in the FAI Cup run in 1984 hence he is removed from the list

Glen Fitzpatrick.... I do not dislike him at all . He just scored bugger all at U.C.D. relative to his exploits with Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne.

Have the rest of you on the U.C.D. list any you want to add to the list?

Schumi
18/03/2005, 11:45 AM
Grag O'Dowd :eek: