PDA

View Full Version : Athlone. What deaf huck is going on

Pages : [1] 2

KeepersBall
21/04/2018, 6:31 PM
I'm not going to criticise the players, if you are playing division 2 in the North East Football league and get asked to play LOI of course you will give it a go, but seriously has there ever been a worse team in the league.
Two of their squad were playing at the level I mentioned, another, just back from a two year ban for verbally abusing a ref, was playing Major division LSL, buck knows where the rest came from.
I assume somebody here will tell me there has been teams with worse records, but it is getting a bit ridiculous.
Losing 7-0 to Shels is bad but going down by the same score to Wexford !
The off the field ********ology is coming home to roost that's for sure.

CorribsideSteve
21/04/2018, 7:39 PM
It's a very sad state of affairs and feels similar to the time GUFC had their 100 + goals conceded season, losing 8-0 to Sligo Rovers for example before it all fell apart.

Charlie Darwin
22/04/2018, 12:22 AM
It's a very sad state of affairs and feels similar to the time GUFC had their 100 + goals conceded season, losing 8-0 to Sligo Rovers for example before it all fell apart.
At least that was in the Premier.

CorribsideSteve
22/04/2018, 1:24 AM
True.That's about the only difference though. It was a terrible time. You knew by mid-season that every single game was going to be an absolute humiliation before kick off.It looks like the same thing at Athlone.

pineapple stu
22/04/2018, 9:41 AM
Even that Kilkenny team with two points all season were more competitive I think?

Funny, Athlone's home record is vaguely respectable, all things considered. Their away one is shocking. Are the players driving to away games?

NeverFeltBetter
22/04/2018, 11:57 AM
They're filling the bench at least. I notice that ET's previews for their matches tend to be missing a lot of info, like injuries, etc, because no one knows.

outspoken
22/04/2018, 12:24 PM
The only one with decent LOI experience, Etanda Nkololo left at half time against Longford and never came back.

KeepersBall
22/04/2018, 3:52 PM
The only one with decent LOI experience, Etanda Nkololo left at half time against Longford and never came back.
Aaron O'Callaghan stepped down today

NeverFeltBetter
22/04/2018, 3:56 PM
Should never have taken the job. As poisoned a chalice as you can get in this league.

KeepersBall
22/04/2018, 4:01 PM
Agreed, but someone had to do it, if Roddy couldn't rescue the situation I'd say the ships sunk.
Pat Byrne is your only man, or on a more serious note, if Andy Noonan brought his entire Bluebell squad down they'd do better.
But you just know Mickey O'Connor is gonna get it.
And this is how bad they were against Wexford
https://www.facebook.com/WexfordFC/videos/2064348867186695/UzpfSTExNjI2NjUwMTczNzUxMzoxODQzMjM3MDMyMzczNzc2/

eitoof
22/04/2018, 5:22 PM
Jeepers, that goalie!😂😂

Martinho II
22/04/2018, 7:13 PM

didn't even know this. that says it all. I would take him in a instant to come back to us and play better than some of the **** on the field.

Martinho II
22/04/2018, 7:16 PM
that Galway Utd side in 2011 how many points did they get that season does anyone know? That's the second time that Callaghan walked out of Athlone mid season he did that in 04 too.. He did that with us also.. He must have the all time record for walking out of a club mid season!

CorribsideSteve
22/04/2018, 8:30 PM
that Galway Utd side in 2011 how many points did they get that season does anyone know?

A grand total of 6 points from 36 games. A win early on in the season against Bohs, and a handful of draws. 20 goals scored, 115 conceded. That was the season a young James McClean scored a 20 yd cracker against us in EDP during one of our 32 defeats.

NeverFeltBetter
22/04/2018, 9:01 PM
Agreed, but someone had to do it, if Roddy couldn't rescue the situation I'd say the ships sunk.
Pat Byrne is your only man, or on a more serious note, if Andy Noonan brought his entire Bluebell squad down they'd do better.
But you just know Mickey O'Connor is gonna get it.
And this is how bad they were against Wexford
https://www.facebook.com/WexfordFC/videos/2064348867186695/UzpfSTExNjI2NjUwMTczNzUxMzoxODQzMjM3MDMyMzczNzc2/

First goal: Forward chasing the ball gives up, defender muscled off the ball, goalie poor.
Second: Should probably have been a free out.
Third: Terrible attempted clearance beforehand
Fourth: Keeper should save.
Fifth: Ditto.
Sixth: Definite penalty.
Seventh: Keeper should save.

Once the third went in Athlone weren't bothered anymore. Hell, you could say that about the third game this season.

Scrufil
23/04/2018, 1:10 PM
Athlone Town’s situation resembles Bray’s in many aspects. A large portion of the board resigned due to disagreements with the Chairman. Not only fans walked out but the long term stewards also took a collective decision to depart. Even some of those in the ticketing office could not work under that regime. And these are the common words bandied about locally: Dictator, Criminal, Incompetent, Hijackers, Destroyers, Threatening & Illegal, I will leave it to your imagination as to whom, who and wither said words are applied. Now there has been a recent legal battle that went in favour of the Chairman. This might bail out the club in terms of finance but it will not bring back those diehards.

The current problems go back as far as 2011 as far as my knowledge goes. However before this there was always problems with the club playing its debts. Now the current people running the club believe having an income off the field in the shape of an all-weather pitch is the way to go. It remains to be seen if and when this will get built. Some doubt it will actually see the light of day. Time will tell.
As far as on field antics go Athlone was confirmed as all amateur players only, earlier this year. Certain former fans and at least two former committee members have stated that the chairman is pursuing an objective of creating an all amateur club with the desire to sell promising developed young players to England or abroad. The problem lies in the fact that little or no talent is shining through. Promising players who do their research about Athlone would rather opt for the LSL over Athlone. Players feel their names will be blackened by any association with Athlone.

My wife suggested that the players rebelled on Friday and just stopped playing so as to get the manager fired. I think that could be a reasonable assumption, as they were only one down at half time.
I am only scraping the surface here. It is deeper and a lot worse here with the accusations I have heard about certain people at the club and a detailed accusation from a former youth player. The threat remains that Athlone may step out of the league but how real that is, is anybody’s guess.

Also note I have spoken directly with numerous former committee members, three ex Chairmen and lots of Athlone fans who approached me as I am recognised locally as long term fan who was part of the initial protests outside the ground. No team just refuses to travel without good reason. This is both an FAI and Athlone blackmark.

Mr A
23/04/2018, 1:23 PM
Would love to see an organised group of Athlone Town fans get together to pressure for change. It's a members club at least in theory and there has to be a way to get control if people work together.

pineapple stu
23/04/2018, 5:58 PM
My wife suggested that the players rebelled on Friday and just stopped playing so as to get the manager fired. I think that could be a reasonable assumption, as they were only one down at half time.
Strange to bring the manager into it, no?

I would have thought Callaghan would have been better than Athlone could reasonably have expected in terms of a manager.

outspoken
23/04/2018, 6:18 PM
Never thought I’d say this but I think most Longford fans would be in agreement, I’d love to see joint protests at upcoming games. Home and away fans demanding the current regime out of the club. Then again I suppose the counter argument to that is more fans = more money for a clearly incompetent leadership and if they are too leave what state will they leave the club in if salvable at all. Then again i think most athlone fans would rather see the club fold at this point than continue in its current form.

Longfordian
23/04/2018, 7:39 PM
It could just as easily be us in that situation in that, when you get down to it, we’re also at the mercy of one man. Thankfully our chairman has been supporting the club in all senses of the word for the past twenty years almost.

wonder88
23/04/2018, 7:53 PM
Is it difficult to join the club that owns/runs Athlone?

oldyouth
24/04/2018, 6:17 AM
Just a few observations to add about Friday's game.

The manager was suspended for the match, yet he never stopped shouting instructions from the media gantry for the entire 1st half and sneaked over to the dugout in the 2nd half to encourage the players right to the end

The Athlone players never gave up and were a credit to themselves and the club. They were just not LOI standard. Wexford were flattered by the score and, if all the easy chances were taken, it would have been at least 10

The entire Athlone squad arrived at Ferrycarrig Park in 4 cars and I was told there were only 8 at training midweek. I fear an asterisk shortly, as this cannot continue. That would be a shame for such a fine club

eitoof
24/04/2018, 9:44 AM
The entire Athlone squad arrived at Ferrycarrig Park in 4 cars
Jesus. That is pub team stuff.
Can't understand how a guy would want to stay playing with them. Surely you'd be better off at junior or intermediate level with a team that's enjoying their game.

ATFC-1887
26/04/2018, 10:07 PM
Lads, if only ye knew half the stuff that has went on. Its unbelievable.
From elderly volunteers being roared at for helping out to fans being sued for voicing corcerns and the chairman of the club going after supporters jobs making false accusations to their employers. Certain fans even got solicitor letters from 2 of the foreign guys last year. Labuts and Cravo. These guys had no idea who the people they were sending letters to were. It was all instructed by a certain individual. These claims were proven to be false also.
This isnt a normal case of "the fans disagreeing with how the club is being run".
This is personal on so many levels. Its absolutely disgusting what has happened with the club and how certain board members have treated fans and former members/volunteers of the club. It will not end until they leave. If they stay the club will die. There is no doubt about it.

Mr A
27/04/2018, 10:53 AM
If they walked away tomorrow, is there anyone to step in and keep it going?

Battery Rover
27/04/2018, 7:05 PM
If they walked away tomorrow, is there anyone to step in and keep it going?

Yes a group of supporters ready and waiting since this all started

Redzer
27/04/2018, 9:08 PM
Yes a group of supporters ready and waiting since this all started
That's sad that you let a club like Athlone die. So much history. Following the likes of Cork, Galway, Derry etc who let their clubs die.
Is there no way ye can work from within and take over?

Martinho II
27/04/2018, 10:20 PM
That's sad that you let a club like Athlone die. So much history. Following the likes of Cork, Galway, Derry etc who let their clubs die.

I dont think its a matter of letting Athlone die. I am sure the lads did try their best at first to cooperate but felt they had no option. Look at what happened to Galway Utd with Nick Gleeson. I think the hardcore are doing the right thing in holding out as long as possible. This also happened to Shamrock Rovers when they left Milltown and eventually the owner quit.

NeverFeltBetter
27/04/2018, 11:03 PM
Blaming the fans for this situation is a bit strange.

WoodquayBoy
27/04/2018, 11:05 PM
Blaming the fans for this - and other - situations is both laughable and pathetic

ATFC-1887
28/04/2018, 6:55 AM

Its far from a case of us letting the club die. We even went as far as putting in our own money to pay players when the club wouldnt do so in 2015.
Only people in Athlone know what the Chairman is like. Hes nothing like you have seen in the league before And thats a promise. Im sure Battery Rover will agree.
There is no way to work from withing because the only people on the inside are the chairman and his friends and family. Nobody else. Its basically Hayden FC now. And will remain that way until the club dies. And it will die.

outspoken
28/04/2018, 8:38 AM
Its far from a case of us letting the club die. We even went as far as putting in our own money to pay players when the club wouldnt do so in 2015.
Only people in Athlone know what the Chairman is like. Hes nothing like you have seen in the league before And thats a promise. Im sure Battery Rover will agree.
There is no way to work from withing because the only people on the inside are the chairman and his friends and family. Nobody else. Its basically Hayden FC now. And will remain that way until the club dies. And it will die.

Not being funny but isn’t it better off dead at this stage? Start fresh. It’s horrible and I’d never want to say that about my club but sure look if it’s good enough for Cork, Galway, Waterford etc then it’s far better than this.

Also heard today at least another 3 players set to walk out this week, the management is a complete and utter joke apparently.

ATFC-1887
28/04/2018, 10:10 AM
Absolutely it is better off. That is not the club i supported all my life. Athlone Town Fc is already dead and gone. The majority in Town would rather the club die and we can try rebuild then.

Battery Rover
28/04/2018, 12:47 PM
As far as I know 3 of our better players walked after last weeks game.

Longfordian
28/04/2018, 1:53 PM
No surprise that Cabo are 1/10 tonight so.

Pablo Escobar
28/04/2018, 3:34 PM
Only people in Athlone know what the Chairman is like. Hes nothing like you have seen in the league before And thats a promise.

I think we'd beg to differ on that.

Seriously though, it's a horrible situation that we know only too well. The main thing is that the fans are ready to step in. That trumps the knockers that will come out with constant jibes about 'letting your club die'. Whereas, in reality, that is out of the hands of the fans.

Longfordian
28/04/2018, 6:05 PM
What is good old Mr No Bobs up to these days anyway?

Battery Rover
28/04/2018, 8:20 PM
Went to my first Athlone Town game in August 1971 so have seen plenty in LOI and this is on a par or worse with anything thats happened in the past.

Pablo Escobar
28/04/2018, 10:54 PM
Went to my first Athlone Town game in August 1971 so have seen plenty in LOI and this is on a par or worse with anything thats happened in the past.

Here's a throwback https://youtu.be/Cg1iZ2ZBhns

total hoofball
01/05/2018, 8:06 PM
We now have an Athlone player on twitter thanking their opponents physio for treating them for an injury on the pitch because their own club couldn't be bothered to ensure they have their own physio at a competitive game of football

Battery Rover
01/05/2018, 10:02 PM
Callaghan gone this time by the looks of it underage manager Mick Dolan to take over.

KeepersBall
02/05/2018, 5:51 PM
This pretty much says it all

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/aaron-callaghan-resigns-as-athlone-town-manager-840572.html

marinobohs
03/05/2018, 12:01 PM
This pretty much says it all

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/aaron-callaghan-resigns-as-athlone-town-manager-840572.html

Truly shocking situation in Athlone. is there any stage at which Delaneys Donkeys (AKA FAI) actually do their job and insist on managing the League ? Licencing is a complete and utter joke but the reputational damage this sort of fiasco does for the League should galvanise the slumbering 'authorities' in Abbottstown.

WoodquayBoy
03/05/2018, 5:10 PM
He’s not coming back any time soon either - FAI just hit him with a 6 month ban!!!
https://mailer.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_jnews&act=mailing&task=view&mailingid=2401&format=raw

Longfordian
03/05/2018, 5:12 PM
He was never the best at controlling his temper but that’s just stupid behaviour.

NeverFeltBetter
03/05/2018, 5:52 PM
What happened there exactly? He threatened refs while already banned?

Lim till i die
03/05/2018, 5:53 PM
:D

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

Whinging on about professionalism in the meeja then because it turned out the latest carcass he was picking hadn't any meat left on it.

Lim till i die
03/05/2018, 5:55 PM
What happened there exactly? He threatened refs while already banned?

Have you not seen him in action on the sideline?

Aaron is just a really hard man. Tough as nails.

Or he's a jester who can't conduct himself.

Depends on your point of view I suppose.

JC_GUFC
08/05/2018, 8:12 AM
Having been to Athlone’s new ground on Friday it’s a real shame the mess the club is in off the pitch.
The stand is one of the best in the league in either division and the facilities are decent with even more potential to develop.

I’m all for developing underage structures but what’s happening on the pitch is a bit of a joke. There was some talent in the tram but they just looked like a bunch of junior footballers thrown together but having never trained together. The best of Willow Park or St Peter’s would be better and at least represent the town.

Hopefully the new manager can at least start to build something, it really looked like Aaron Callaghan had no clue what he was at.

Maybe the plan is to get through this season and start again next season and hopefully by then the off-field problems can be solved.

Terry
08/05/2018, 8:44 AM
Having been to Athlone’s new ground on Friday it’s a real shame the mess the club is in off the pitch.
The stand is one of the best in the league in either division and the facilities are decent with even more potential to develop.

You do know that ground was built 11 years ago now? I wouldn't class it as new, but is nice.