PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup -who are you up for?

Shelsman
15/03/2005, 12:52 PM
OTHER than your home team, what club would you like to see winning the Setanta Cup?

EnDai
15/03/2005, 1:02 PM
Those Longfordian folksies

A face
15/03/2005, 1:03 PM
Come'on De Town !! :D

joey B
15/03/2005, 1:39 PM
CORK.

Poor Student
15/03/2005, 5:00 PM
Shouldn't this be moved to the eL forum? I voted for Longford. I have a soft spot for the club. Not sure why, I just respect what they are trying to achieve. If not them then Shelbourne.

Éanna
15/03/2005, 11:12 PM
if not us, then longford

Longfordian
16/03/2005, 1:07 AM
If not us then Cork I guess

Shelsman
16/03/2005, 12:49 PM
Looks to me that Cork Fans don't want to vote for Shels and vice versa, so they vote for Longford instead! Can't vote for league rivals so the other eL team gets the vote. Did that myself alright.

Fair_play_boy
16/03/2005, 11:31 PM
It feels kinda dirty thinking about another club winning. But it is Longford for me, I guess.

adamcarr
17/03/2005, 11:23 AM
If not CCFC, it has to be Longford!

De Town
17/03/2005, 11:26 AM
If not CCFC, it has to be Longford!
And vice versa, Have to support the L@ngers if De Town dont win it :)

De Town
17/03/2005, 11:33 AM
btw, should this not be in eL general :confused:

Éanna
17/03/2005, 3:27 PM
btw, should this not be in eL general :confused:
it should. I hadn't noticed actually, moved now anwyay. cheers de town

Poor Student
17/03/2005, 3:53 PM
it should. I hadn't noticed actually, moved now anwyay. cheers de town

I do believe I pointed that out two days ago.;)

sligoman
17/03/2005, 3:56 PM
Up for Cork or Longford, but not Shels or any of the others

Longfordian
17/03/2005, 3:57 PM
If ye match all this goodwill with financial faith even in small amounts you could make some money as we're gone out to 16-1 to win it with Ladbrokes and 6-1 just to get through the group. My money is going to go on us to get out of our group at 6-1 anyway.

Kerry Blue
17/03/2005, 4:32 PM
I'll have to go for Cork City. After all it's been years since they've won any major trophy. :D :D

Shelsman
18/03/2005, 8:09 AM
It seems to me that other eL fans are loath to vote for Shels. Is it a case that ye think that they have enough money already or do you simply not like Shels? I know Ollie Byrne is a plonker but other than that I think it's great to have a full time team full of superb / outstanding players. Surely it's better to have one eL club like this than none?

I have to say that the demise of Bohs has been an awful loss to the league as the more classy full time clubs the better ( although they are still full time, just not full of classy players anymore :eek: ). That said, Drogheda are getting more impressive all the time and Cork are still holding their own.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of a one horse race, but I'd sooner see one eL team make great strides than none.

Mad Moose
18/03/2005, 8:35 AM
As long as the competition is a success I'll not concern myself with where the title goes.

Brendan

Gareth
18/03/2005, 9:07 AM
In reply to Shelsman's post.

Firstly, Shels are not at all a dominate force in the league. We can lose against the worst of them. I do not think the gulf between us and others is a chasm but a crack. I am talking about on the field now. Its simply not accurate to describe us as anything more than successful. We have good players at the club but so do other teams. I would just hope you don't get too carried away, cos you'll expect far above what we are set to achieve.

In relation to voting for teams. It would be better for our league if the winner came from it. So by default, I hope Shels, Cork or Longford win. I obviously want Shels to win, after that, Longford or Cork. If I was to factor in having to listen to fans afterwards, then Longford because Cork to me tend to be bad winners in relation to alot of posters I have seen, and Longford are not!

Eitherway I hope the competition picks up from the dull opener.

Schumi
18/03/2005, 11:44 AM
Cork to me tend to be bad winners
How do you know? :confused: :D

patsh
18/03/2005, 11:50 AM
Cork to me tend to be bad winners
This from the crowd who, on the night they won the league, were whinging, bitching and moaning about the team that came third?.....:rolleyes:
Get a grip.....

Gareth
18/03/2005, 12:10 PM
:) I have half a grip :)

I say Cork are bad winners cos they kinda exhibit the symptoms of it in the way they carry on. There are very nice Cork people, :), but in my experience when competition is mentioned, they turn into different human beings :)

Éanna
18/03/2005, 9:17 PM
We're just competitive gareth ;) As re wanting Shels to lose- its mainly to do with Ollie Byrne as far as I'm concerned. I tend to take a massive dislike to people like him and the clubs they represent.

wakenuppaddy
18/03/2005, 9:36 PM
Glens for me :)

adamd164
28/03/2005, 2:19 PM
If not us, definately Longford.

Citygirl
28/03/2005, 3:05 PM
if it ain't city then it'll have to be de town!

sonofstan
28/03/2005, 8:26 PM
Being Bohs and therefore bitter, I think I'd like to see one of the Nordie teams win it - Glens for preference - otherwise Cork (especially after Fenlon's display of petulant Knackerism tonight), then Longford and if Shels are 1 up in the final with a minute to go, I want a nuclear war to start rather than wach them win

De Town
28/03/2005, 8:30 PM
Fenlons outburst was hilarious and then after the match you see Fenlon and Collins walking off together :D They are so small :D :D :D

dancinpants
28/03/2005, 8:36 PM
What was Fenlon up to? What'd he say? :confused:

De Town
28/03/2005, 8:40 PM
What was Fenlon up to? What'd he say? :confused:
Crawley got sent off in the last minute for a "headbutt" on O'Callaghan. O'callaghan made the most of it and fell to the ground, Fenlon went mental, tried to run down the touchline, 4th official Kelly pulled him back, Fenlon starts pointing and Shouting at Rico on his way back. Then after the match he went onto the pitch and had a go at O'Callaghan and the ref. Then Collins pulls him away and the 2 of them go stomping of the pitch together :D

dancinpants
28/03/2005, 8:44 PM
Crawley got sent off in the last minute for a "headbutt" on O'Callaghan. O'callaghan made the most of it and fell to the ground, Fenlon went mental, tried to run down the touchline, 4th official Kelly pulled him back, Fenlon starts pointing and Shouting at Rico on his way back. Then after the match he went onto the pitch and had a go at O'Callaghan and the ref. Then Collins pulls him away and the 2 of them go stomping of the pitch together :D

Haha, f**kin' poetry lad!!! :D

TonyD
28/03/2005, 9:11 PM
Did anyone else notice Fenlon grinning like a chesire cat when Gamble got his red card ? Made his outburst after Crawley got sent off all the funnier. Poetic justice or what ? :D Both sendings off were unjustified I thought.

eirebhoy
28/03/2005, 9:18 PM
especially after Fenlon's display of petulant Knackerism tonight
In fairness, O'C deserved a lot worse than a few harsh words and finger pointing. Can't stand such blatent diving as that tonight. Rivaldo was given stick for it and so should he.

sonofstan
28/03/2005, 9:24 PM
In fairness, O'C deserved a lot worse than a few harsh words and finger pointing. Can't stand such blatent diving as that tonight. Rivaldo was given stick for it and so should he.

doesn't excuse fenlon's tantrum - Rico was annoyed after Gamble got sent off and shouted at alan kelly, but he didn't go running after Jamie Harris - whose tackle on Gamble was awful - or the ref. and he didn't laugh when Crawley was sent off either

eirebhoy
28/03/2005, 9:31 PM
doesn't excuse fenlon's tantrum - Rico was annoyed after Gamble got sent off and shouted at alan kelly, but he didn't go running after Jamie Harris - whose tackle on Gamble was awful - or the ref. and he didn't laugh when Crawley was sent off either
Why should he go running after Harris? What did he do wrong? Fenlon went over to O'Callaghan after the match when his temper was still boiling over. I can associate with a temper like that and after that discraceful dive by O'C Fenlon was 100% in the right to be so annoyed. Rico was annoyed at the ref but he gave the 4th official a lot more abuse than Fenlon gave O'C.

sonofstan
28/03/2005, 9:40 PM
because Harris' tackle was as much the cause of gamble getting sent off as O'Cs dive was the cause of crawley going - don't think its on for managers to abuse opposing players - though I doubt if George would be intimidated by Fenlon

A face
28/03/2005, 9:43 PM
I dunno lads, i think the best team won !! :p

Gerrit
09/04/2005, 10:33 PM
I hope Shels wins it of course :) But if it really has to be someone else, I hope Linfield.

Gerrit
09/04/2005, 10:37 PM
How to vote here in fact ?? :confused: I don't see an option to participate in the poll... Anyway, my vote goes to Linfield, if I really must pick another team than SFC

And I know LFC is loyalist etc, but I just look at the history of the club, the stadium, etc. and conclude it seems like the nicest club to win the competition if Shelbourne can't.
As an immigrant in Ireland and being non-religious I don't really pay attention the the political or religious background of the teams when forming an opinion on them, it's about sports and not about the stands/opinions expressed by a minority of the club's fans.

De Town
10/04/2005, 9:47 AM
How to vote here in fact ?? :confused: I don't see an option to participate in the poll...
The poll has closed....