PDA

View Full Version : practice match last tuesday

b_mcsweeney
15/06/2001, 2:21 PM
meant to post sooner but i've not been near a pc. city played a practice match tuesday at the farm, firsts against seconds. i only saw the second half but the team that lined up for the firsts was

devine
napier coughlan daly horgan
carey herrick freyne bucks cahill
hartigan

seems like liam might intend using this 4-5-1 against metalurgs. for the record firsts won one nil, goal scored from the edge of the box(ish) by ollie cahill. after that the game was dominated to a large degree by the seconds, who featured mooney in goal, caulfield, colin o'brien, tynan and mulligan from the seniors. caulfield missed a penalty late on and mulligan wasted two really good 1 on 1 chances. mulligan actually looked a little short of fitness, which may affect the chances of him playing saturday.

final note on david welch. he played well for the reserves in the first half (apparently, didn't see this) and in the second came on for patsy for the seniors. looked alright though didn't get much chance. might be on the bench saturday, maybe. sorry this is so long. cheerio.

pete
15/06/2001, 2:39 PM
Looks like city playing for a 0-0 so? Carey on the right does solve the problem on that side. Eventhough I rate Carey highly hes still a fullback & not a right midfielder.

Why can't we find a proper right winger as we seem to constantly try to convert right backs into the position.....

IMO I think thats more than likely going to be the team.

Neil
15/06/2001, 3:16 PM
The first team there looks to be the one that will be sent out tomorrow. So our hopes rest with Noel Hartigan up-front...:( Aaagh!

Apart from him, the team looks ok. Except I'd have Napier in the middle, Carey at RB and O'Brien on the right-wing.

James
15/06/2001, 4:48 PM
thats it so Gunther has settled for a 0-0 with the slim hope of a sneeky goal.
Granted we are ( apparently and the stats back this up ) the best team at holding a 1-0 lead so maybe...hopefully

to be honest though I disagree with the formation , that is the most likely team for gunther to have picked..with maybe giving one or both of the new signings a chance in the second half depending on circumstances

actually looking at the teamagain I would have expected to see caulfield as the left winger ( using his pace:D )

anyway lets give them the magic 110% support tomorrow

City 4 europe