PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your music

pete
14/03/2005, 11:46 AM
Wondering where people get thier music these days...

High Street Retail, Independent Retail, Purchased CDs Online, Purchased Online Download, "Other" Online, "Borrowed" from Friends...?

razor
14/03/2005, 11:46 AM
Off T'Internet

James
14/03/2005, 11:48 AM
a nice large shared itunes network at work
online itunes store is good too

Gary
14/03/2005, 11:51 AM
CDWOW, Amazon, Ebay and Grand Central.co.uk

Hibs4Ever
14/03/2005, 11:56 AM
Pirate copies in Fairyhouse Market :D

Eire06
14/03/2005, 12:17 PM
CD-WOW is the best around IMO all cd 12.99 or cheaper :D

noby
14/03/2005, 12:52 PM
In this order:

Independent Retail
"Borrowed" from Friends. Old-fashioned p2p sharing.
High Street Retail. Bargain bins/ 2 for €20 offers etc.
Purchased CDs Online, Amazon, usually. Again special offers or used. Also direct from band/record company web-sites

pete
14/03/2005, 1:33 PM
Anyone using those "legal" Russian sites?

thecorner
14/03/2005, 1:37 PM
hard to find records and a few music forums

harpskid
14/03/2005, 1:40 PM
Mostly online or 'borrowed' from friends

M@ttitude
14/03/2005, 2:11 PM
If its an album say like ColdPlays new one that I have been waiting for Id buy it on the high street, but I normally just get them from friends and stick them on my pc.. Burn copies for the car and that. I have no problem ripping off the music industry by copying cds, its about time bands start working for their money by doing more gigs. Agree?

Macy
14/03/2005, 2:25 PM
Just a reminder, if anyone's tempted, to the announcement at the top.

If I buy music normally online these days, or when I'm back in Manch from the old reliable second hand shops (King Bee and Sifters). Also places like music zone over there, which have good bargains even allowing for exchange rate fluctuations. Last CD I brought in a shop in this country came from tesco - they were the same price as online.

No broadband, so no downloading, but get a good few "burned" copies from mates. If it wasn't such a rip off, I probably wouldn't bother with that, so imo the music industry and shops have only themselves to blame if they're losing money in this country.

pete
14/03/2005, 3:14 PM
Russian sites are fairly handy at $0.10 a song, quality sub CD & may not have everything looking for but friend says they good for buying cheapily what would not pay retail price for. Sometimes have albums out before they available in shops too...

Apparently they legal in Russia but may be grey area in other countries.

Ruairi
14/03/2005, 3:47 PM
Have to say i've never bought anything online.. i prefer browsing the shelves and what not..

last cd i got was the cinematic orchestra, bought it in virgin.. went mad that day, got harry nilsson too..

sligoman
14/03/2005, 4:11 PM
Download for FREE off the internet ;)

pete
14/03/2005, 5:11 PM
I tried Kazaa for a while when got broadband but it was sh!te, too much time asted for bad quality files or files that wouldn't finish download.

Troy.McClure
14/03/2005, 7:13 PM
Download for FREE off the internet ;)

like from iCompose.com? :) (although you might have to have GarageBand for it to work, but I dont think so. Its all free & legal before I get abuse btw!)

IsMiseSean
14/03/2005, 10:14 PM
Online either CD WOW or PLAY and Amazon for the lesser known artists.

Troy.McClure
14/03/2005, 11:40 PM
Was just looking at that there, they have the indie section for new bands to circulate their music for free. While keeping within the rules of the MB, are there any other sites where you can legally download free music like iCompose? It would be good to get a bit of unusual stuff (and not have to pay for it :D )

speedking
24/03/2005, 8:44 PM
You can't beat the old Sound Cellar for a bit of music. :)

ccfcman
25/03/2005, 8:12 AM
LimeWire.com for me, apologies to Adam if this is construed as illegal download advertising :)

tetsujin1979
25/03/2005, 9:39 AM
Neen using mycokemusic.com for downloading a lot recently. It's all legal, so work can't complain about it, straight on the mp3 player and Bob's your uncle!

Been looking into napster's new "Napster To Go" offer as well, not sure if it's available here yet or not, $15 a month subscription, as many tunes as you want for cheaper than most albums in HMV. onto the mp3 player. Not bad, not bad at all.

noby
25/03/2005, 10:50 AM
Interesting article in the Sunday Times last week about DRM (digital rights management), which included this:

"Napster’s new portable subscription service, for example, offers subscribers unlimited downloads, which can be transferred to a select few compatible MP3 machines. The £15-a-month service looks good value, but any music downloaded to the portable player will no longer function if you let your subscription lapse"

I would be very wary about signing up to anything , or even buying any music, either download or cd, that has built in restrictions on playing/copying.

Full article

here (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2103-1532371,00.html)

Troy.McClure
25/03/2005, 5:34 PM
Seems like youre renting the music rather than buying it. Cant you just copy youre music onto CD? You'll have it for ever to reload and upload to what ever you want then wont you?