PDA

View Full Version : Preview Mag in the Star Today

pete
14/03/2005, 11:44 AM
I've only glanced through it so far but definitely better than the PFAI version in the the Mirror last week.

Stars Magazine has very tabloid feel to it - loads of pictures, less text but good effort nonetheless.

joey B
14/03/2005, 11:52 AM
Good front cover too :D

Hibs4Ever
14/03/2005, 11:53 AM
I've only glanced through it so far but definitely better than the PFAI version in the the Mirror last week.

Stars Magazine has very tabloid feel to it - loads of pictures, less text but good effort nonetheless.

Personally I thought it was cr*p. Full of wrong information

town73
14/03/2005, 1:02 PM
Good front cover too :D

You do know that they're both from Dublin.

Slash/ED
14/03/2005, 2:44 PM
Far better than the Mirrors effort I reckon, I thought it was quality.

joey B
14/03/2005, 2:48 PM
You do know that they're both from Dublin.
Well done there I was talking about the harps regalia :rolleyes:

A face
14/03/2005, 6:52 PM
There seem to be alot of mistakes scattered through it, a glaring one for Cork City is Website: None .... a site that has won national awards and has an email address just above it info@corkcityfc.ie

I did like all the Boss Watch bits and thought the From the Terraces bit for City was good but sadly the only club to have that. Reads like a tabloid alright but have to say it is getting better.

harpskid
14/03/2005, 6:55 PM
I sent Eoin Brannigan a From The Terraces piece and wasn't used :(

A face
14/03/2005, 8:45 PM
I picked up an extra three copies if anyone wants one.

redgav
14/03/2005, 9:01 PM

spot on - CCFC don't have website ..............according to the star today

colblimp
14/03/2005, 9:11 PM
Well I thought it was good. Apart from the obvious 'Cork City have no website' bit it was informative and for supporters like me who have no knowledge whatsoever of the geography of Ireland, as I've only lived here for a year, it was spot on. Is that controversial? :o

Slash/ED
14/03/2005, 9:27 PM
Saying anything positive about anything is controversal in EL circles tbf ;)

No I completley agree, okay the website thing was an error but ffs it's only a fairly small one.

A face
14/03/2005, 9:56 PM
for supporters like me who have no knowledge whatsoever of the geography of Ireland

Here ya go !! (http://www.ifgrounds.com/grounds.html) ... just give it a bit to load if on dail-up

dcfcsteve
14/03/2005, 11:26 PM
I see some chancer on e-bay is trying to sell the Daily Mirror Eircom League magazine - starting price of £2.99 or something from memory !

No mention of the fact that it was free with a newspaper. Gyppo....

Will be interesting to see if any idiot forks out for it..

Longfordian
15/03/2005, 12:59 AM
I thought it wasn't as good as last year's effort from The Star, just generally seemed a bit bland, stating the obvious in most previews.

viper
16/03/2005, 8:09 AM
Is it possible to read those previews online? It's hard to get offline versions in my city ;)

A face
17/03/2005, 1:15 AM
Is it possible to read those previews online? It's hard to get offline versions in my city ;)

I'd say not fella, i'd say not !!

colblimp
17/03/2005, 9:24 AM
Here ya go !! (http://www.ifgrounds.com/grounds.html) ... just give it a bit to load if on dail-up

Er, I have "that" site in my faves anyway! :D It's designed soooooo well, very informative. Carlsberg don't do websites.... ;)

BohDiddley
17/03/2005, 4:36 PM
Anyone know if this is going to be available again? Sounds like it's worth having ...

sadloserkid
19/03/2005, 10:58 AM

Seconded.

Just talking about Limerick, they gave the wrong ground, the wrong phone number, the wrong sponsor, the wrong crest... and managed to write the whole piece without naming any of the Limerick team (bar the two boys seemingly picked at random in the 'One to Watch' section.

Does anybody have a spare copy of the Mirror's effort cos I missed that one?

Longfordian
19/03/2005, 11:06 AM
Given that it was edited by Andy Needham of the League you'd think the basic information would be right, but it appears not. As I said in a previous post, it was all bit general, you got the impression nobody really knew much about the teams especially the First Division ones.

CollegeTillIDie
19/03/2005, 5:02 PM
How can any one know much about the First Division?
There's bugger all coverage of it in the National Press.
None whatsoever in the Irish Times for starters... not even results and scorers.... as regards the Sunday papers... The Tribune might as well be an English paper.
I should take that back, The Guardian has all the el Premier Division results in it's Monday edition.

If the papers in general do not cover First Division they will not know much about the current state of either the clubs or their team's players.

crc
19/03/2005, 9:58 PM
no knowledge whatsoever of the geography of Ireland

Derry is in the wrong place on that map. It should be at the end of lough Foyle (which is oddly not shown) rather than the end of lough Swilly.