PDA

View Full Version : Who will Win the Connacht Cup ?

Thunderblaster
11/03/2005, 8:15 PM
The Connacht Cup is now into the last 16. Anyone out there with opinions as to who might win the competition? :confused:

Closed Account
12/03/2005, 5:25 AM
Glenview Stars,
Salthill Devon,
Westport United or ????????,
Dynamo Blues or Erris United,
Strand Celtic or Galway Hibs,
Kiltullagh
Abbey United
Heatmerchants?
??????

I'm sure I know who else is in it but I just can't remember. It's down to the last 8 after the Westport and Erris ties anyway.

I'd put my money on Glenview Stars. They ripped apart Castlebar Celtic in Castle bar last weekend and although Westport and Galway Hibs might be better sides, they may be focusing more on the FAI cup.

Scout
12/03/2005, 8:38 AM
Mervue are into the 1/4 finals.. they will have put in alot of effort ever since being put put of Fai cup (Their main target this year)..

Closed Account
14/03/2005, 12:13 PM
Connacht Junior Cup 6th Round 2pm
Dynamo Blues 4-3 Erris United pens
Strand Celtic 1-4 Galway Hibs

Closed Account
14/03/2005, 12:43 PM
Connacht Junior CupQuarter Final at 2.00.PM

Galway Hibernians v Abbey United at Bohermore

Dynamo Bl ues v Castlerea Celtic at Tuam

Mervue United

Killtullagh

Salthill Devon

Westport United or ???????

Closed Account
14/03/2005, 2:01 PM
Heatmerchants got beat 3-0 at home by Mervue United.

Would Ballinasloe by any chance be the gap in the team that is drawn to play Westport in Round 6? Don't remember them being beat. Maybe the Roscommon boys could fill me in?

Thunderblaster
15/03/2005, 11:34 PM
Winners of Gurteen Celtic and Westport United are home to Mervue United in the quarter final.

Thunderblaster
15/03/2005, 11:40 PM
:ball: My prediction for the last four would be Mervue United, Salthill Devon, Galway Hibs and Castlerea Celtic. :ball:

Thunderblaster
16/03/2005, 4:56 PM
TB did you not say to me castlerea celtic are very oridinary at best ye wee ****e ya, how come you are giving them a chance of winning.

they have a solid defence and a great keeper in geoffrey claffey, next roscommon gaelic keeper.

You should beat Dynamoe Blues. They are hardly the most fearsome side in Galway these days. They beat an Erris side more interested in regaining the FAI Youth Challenge Cup than Connacht Cup glory.

DonalE
18/03/2005, 8:06 PM
Abbey United.

Thunderblaster
18/03/2005, 8:53 PM
Abbey United.

Sounds a good chance of an upset.

Thunderblaster
19/03/2005, 11:25 AM
they have a solid defence and a great keeper in geoffrey claffey, next roscommon gaelic keeper.

Is that the son of the legendary (to Mid West Radio listeners) Paul Claffey?

Thunderblaster
20/03/2005, 8:46 PM
Joe Denilson posted that Westport United recorded a 2-0 away victory against Gurteen United. How did the quarter final matches go today? :confused:

Closed Account
20/03/2005, 9:04 PM
Connacht Junior Cup Quarter Final 2pm
Hibernians 0-1 Abbey United
Dynamo Blues 2-1 Castlerea Cel

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/aertelplus/p540.htm

Thunderblaster
21/03/2005, 12:39 AM
Connacht Junior Cup Quarter Final 2pm
Hibernians 0-1 Abbey United
Dynamo Blues 2-1 Castlerea Cel

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/aertelplus/p540.htm

Big upsets today. Galway Hibs losing at home to Abbey United (well, Hibs were probably resting players before the Waterford Crystal game) and Abbey United are the team to beat in Sligo. Dynamo Blues is a little surprising based on Castlerea's cup runs last season. :eek: So it is Salthill Devon/Glenview Stars V Abbey United and Westport United/Mervue United V Dynamo Blues in the semi finals. Your predictions, folks please. :confused:

Thunderblaster
21/03/2005, 10:30 PM
Was Salthill Devon V Glenview Stars called off yesterday? Just that no result appeared

Terry
22/03/2005, 8:58 AM
Was Salthill Devon V Glenview Stars called off yesterday? Just that no result appeared

kick off is next sunday at 2pm

Thunderblaster
29/03/2005, 12:52 AM
kick off is next sunday at 2pm

Who won the right to play Abbey United in the Semi Final?

Looks like that Westport United will be playing against Mervue United on the 10th April. Any predictions on that game?

Closed Account
29/03/2005, 3:31 AM
Glenview Stars came out on top. 5-4 on penalties.

Semi Finalists

Glenview Stars.(Favourites? It's where my money is. Salthill and Castlebar Celtic are considerable scalps. 4th in league behind abbey in first. Lost 3-0 to abbey in Sean Fallon Park at the end of february but cup games are different imo.)
Abbey United(only one loss in league to boyle celtic, knocked out fai semi finalists galway hibs in quarters)
Dynamo Blues(bottom of the league but.... erris, ballina, castlerea! Impressive in cups this year)
Mervue or Westport(big reputations)

Every side left has a great chance. It's a tough competition to win. Let's hope the rest of the competition is a showpiece for the quality of soccer in the west.

OscarBravo
30/03/2005, 3:55 PM
Glenview will make up one team in the final, the other really depends on who wins between Westport and Mervue. Dynamo Blues will lose to either of those teams, have seen them play this year and believe they were very fortunate to beat Ballina, Errris and Castlerea. Their home pitch is terrible though and they will have a headstart if playing there. Think Westport are the team to beat. If they can bounce back quickly enough from Carew defeat they will win the competition. Glenview did beat Castlebar Celtic but that is currently a poor Celtic side and they have just lost their management

Thunderblaster
31/03/2005, 12:22 AM
Glenview Stars came out on top. 5-4 on penalties.

Oh Lord, what a shock!! Glenview Stars in the Semi Final of the Connacht Cup!! :eek: A Sligo team in the final for definite for the first time in a few years. :ball: Sound like a Mervue United V Abbey United final to me. Should be a cracking game of football. :ball:

Thunderblaster
04/04/2005, 1:27 AM
I hear that the Connacht Cup Final this year will be held in Ray McSharry Park or The Showgrounds in Sligo. Is that true?

Thunderblaster
05/04/2005, 7:09 PM
I read on The Star today that Westport United are playing Mervue United in the Quarter Final at 2:00 on Sunday in Westport. Should be a very interesting game. :ball:

Closed Account
10/04/2005, 4:26 PM
Connacht Cup Quarter Final
Westport United 0-2 Mervue United

Poor old Westport. Another Cup they're out of. That's 3 cup defeats in a row.
No Mayo Clubs in the Semi's. Going to be a Galway/Sligo Final

SemiFinal
Glenview Stars V Abbey United
Mervue United V Dynamo Blue

Not sure who's at home but I think it's as above.

Still think Glenview can win outright, they've gone top of the Sligo/Leitrim league, although Abbey have games in hand.

Thunderblaster
10/04/2005, 10:00 PM
No Mayo Clubs in the Semi's.

First time since 2001, I think, that this has happened. I still tip Mervue to win it outright.

Thunderblaster
18/04/2005, 11:32 PM
I hear that Glenview Stars beat Abbey United in the semi final of the Connacht Cup 2-1 yesterday. Is the Mervue United V Dynamo Blues game set for Sunday?

Terry
19/04/2005, 9:11 AM
Sunday 24th April 2005.

Connacht Cup Semi Final at 2.00.PM

Mervue United v Dynamo Blues at Mervue

FINAL SCORE 3-1 TO MERVUE

Thunderblaster
25/04/2005, 11:48 PM
Sunday 24th April 2005.

Connacht Cup Semi Final at 2.00.PM

Mervue United v Dynamo Blues at Mervue

Who won the game?

Closed Account
26/04/2005, 12:16 AM
Mervue United 3 - 1 Dynamo Blues

Thunderblaster
26/04/2005, 2:03 PM
Glenview Stars V Mervue United in the Connacht Cup Final in Sligo on May 8th, as far as I'm aware. Still think that Mervue will win it.

Terry
26/04/2005, 2:23 PM
Glenview Stars V Mervue United in the Connacht Cup Final in Sligo on May 8th, as far as I'm aware. Still think that Mervue will win it.

Ya have to agree with you there. Last week they beat west utd (who reached the last 16 of the junior fai cup) 8-0! :eek:

Thunderblaster
26/04/2005, 2:34 PM
i saw west utd in that match against ballynanty rvs and i can honestly say in all my years following junior soccer i have never seen such a terrible team at the last sixteen stage of a fai.
there is no way that you could use west utd as a yardstick !

West United were quoted as the weakest side on the whos gonna win FAI junior cup forum at the time of the last 16 draw and they are in relegation trouble as far as I'm aware in Galway.

Thunderblaster
10/05/2005, 12:04 PM
Connacht Cup Final in Ray McSharry Park on Sunday at 3:00.

swinfordfc
10/05/2005, 3:54 PM
Lads,
it be nice to glenview stars, a sligo team to win it, although to be honest, mervue utd will win it i think, hope i wrong though :cool:

Thunderblaster
14/05/2005, 8:17 PM
I go with Glenview Stars 1-2 Mervue United.

ali2005
14/05/2005, 9:45 PM
Glenview Stars Will Win It. I Used To Play Wit Them.

sligoman
14/05/2005, 9:51 PM
Glenview Stars Will Win It. I Used To Play Wit Them.

Do you not anymore beat? :confused:

Thunderblaster
16/05/2005, 9:20 PM
Glenview Stars 1-4 Mervue United.

Mervue United Connacht Cup champions for the first time in three years.
Any reports from the final?

Terry
19/05/2005, 1:51 PM
Glenview Stars 1

Mervue United 4

Sunday was a splendid afternoon for Mervue United in Sligo as the progressive Galway side captured the Connacht Junior Cup title. If Mervue manage to defeat Hibernians in its final Western Hygiene Supplies Premier League encounter the club could be celebrating a highly impressive double in the coming weeks.

Last weekend it was the smashing wing play of Alan O'Donavan that ensured Mervue comprehensively outwitted a well regarded home outfit at McSharry Park. Mervue had a goal disallowed before Simon Murray netted the opener in the 27th minute.

O'Donovan's precise cross located the former West United attacker, who thundered the Galwegians into a deserved lead. Buoyed by the first goal Mervue continued to pour forward in search of further goals.

Teenager Tommy Walshe and Murray fashioned an opportunity for Sean Murphy who netted from close range in the 34th minute.

O'Donovan slung over a cross half a dozen minutes later and the clinical Murray rattled the Glenview net. Three goals ahead at the interval, Mervue briskly added a fourth 90 seconds after the restart.

Murphy's neat dummy released the excellent Seamie Crowe and the former Wolves youth's cross trickled off Glenview defender Damien Sheridan as the large visiting contingent saluted the insurance strike.

Within a minute John Conlon headed past Mervue custodian Darren Roche, but by that stage sufficient Galwegian damage had been inflicted.