PDA

View Full Version : Turkey V Republic of Ireland - Antalya - 23rd March 2018 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tetsujin1979
04/03/2018, 2:22 PM
The squad for the friendly will be announced on Thursday and, according to today's Independent, Declan Rice and Josh Cullen will be included: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/oneill-to-name-young-star-declan-rice-in-turkey-squad-36666200.html

The same article includes this about Scannell possibly changing allegiances

Meanwhile, Huddersfield winger Sean Scannell is set to declare for Northern Ireland after failing to secure a regular place under O'Neill. The 27-year-old, who has been struggling with a groin problem during his loan at Burton Albion this season, was called up by Giovanni Trapattoni in the Italian's first and final Ireland squads.
Leaves out that he's returned to, and appeared for, Huddersfield and is not expected to recover from a shoulder injury until the end of the month - after the friendlies.

(is there an existing thread for this game? If so, bump it and I'll merge them)

liamoo11
04/03/2018, 2:44 PM
exciting. I would like to see Kelly, rice, Browne, Cunningham , o Kane and Doherty get at least a full half in the Turkey game. I hope they don't take Coleman off to turkey for the actual game be much better for him to continue rehab back at everton.

pineapple stu
04/03/2018, 2:49 PM
exciting.
Tis in a way. It'll be interesting as much for who's left out of the squad as who's in it. O'Neill was very conservative - too conservative, I think - in that regard after the last campaign.

sbgawa
04/03/2018, 3:08 PM
There is enough young talent coming through to give us hope, the key will be who replaces Robbie Keane for the goal threat. Maguire could become a decent replacement hopefully.....It's the hope that kills you though. :) plus surely long can't continue his barren spell forever.

tetsujin1979
08/03/2018, 11:44 AM
Squad announced at 12 according to the FAI's twitter

Stuttgart88
08/03/2018, 12:03 PM
They're late.

12.30pm now but Seamus Coleman is in.

Maybe there's a last minute IFA/FA defection (Bamford?) or vice versa or maybe nobody had told O'Neill Maguire is back fit and scoring.

tetsujin1979
08/03/2018, 12:15 PM
was thinking there might be a call up that noone is expecting, a player that nobody - fans, media, etc - even knows is eligible, like Cyrus Christie

DeLorean
08/03/2018, 12:19 PM
I wonder if we can assume the likes of O'Shea, Walters & Whelan are going to be in there, seeing as they haven't officially retired. O'Shea probably a bit pointless at this stage but I can't really see O'Neill discarding the other two (possibly with good reason).

Olé Olé
08/03/2018, 12:23 PM
<mod edit - converted to embedded tweet>

DeLorean
08/03/2018, 12:24 PM
For the restricted Twitterers...

Republic of Ireland Squad

Goalkeepers: Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Colin Doyle (Bradford City), Kieran O'Hara (Manchester United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Declan Rice (West Ham United), John Egan (Brentford), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Kevin Long (Burnley), Alex Pearce (Derby County), Darragh Lenihan, Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Greg Cunningham (Preston North End), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United)

Midfielders: Alan Judge (Brentford), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), David Meyler (Hull City), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Liam Kelly (Reading), Alan Browne, Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion)

Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Sean Maguire (Preston North End)

Kingdom
08/03/2018, 12:24 PM
Derick Williams is a bit of a surprise, but in a good way. Similar with Enda Stevens.

Olé Olé
08/03/2018, 12:25 PM
Rice, O'Hara, Stevens, Williams and Lenihan getting their first call ups. Nice to see an eye has been kept on Williams and Lenihan. Although they're playing in League One they're well young enough to progress back up the ladder, will likely be in the Championship next season and have experience there under their belts already.

Heavy stack of left backs though. Stevens, Cunningham and Williams. I would hope Cunningham is afforded the game time as he has the most realistic chance of breaking in I would say.

Stuttgart88
08/03/2018, 12:25 PM
Is Westwood fit?

Can't argue with that squad really. I think we all wanted a re-boot and this looks just like that. Refreshing.

Quibbles: Jack Byrne maybe.

No Whelan, Randolph, Ward, Walters, O'Shea, Keogh, McGeady.....

DeLorean
08/03/2018, 12:27 PM
Is Westwood fit?

I don't think so. Wednesday have had a young guy in goals lately I think.

Is Alex Pearce ahead of Richard Keogh a mistake by the publishers??

Kingdom
08/03/2018, 12:31 PM
Rice, O'Hara, Stevens, Williams and Lenihan getting their first call ups. Nice to see an eye has been kept on Williams and Lenihan. Although they're playing in League One they're well young enough to progress back up the ladder, will likely be in the Championship next season and have experience there under their belts already.

Heavy stack of left backs though. Stevens, Cunningham and Williams. I would hope Cunningham is afforded the game time as he has the most realistic chance of breaking in I would say.

I wonder if the likes of Williams and Lenihan are considered for their versatility? Williams has played centre back in a trad 2, left of a 3 man centre back, and also left back.
Lenihan has the centre back role, the stopper role, and then the defensive midfielder role in a 3 man.

With the full-back options that we have, we nearly have to consider going three man and wing-backs.

Westwood is not fit.

-----------------------------Gk---------------------------------

------------Rice-----------Duffy-----------Clark---------------

Coleman----------------------------------------- Cunningham

---------------------------Browne------------------------------
---------- Hourihane-------------------Kelly-------------------

----------------------------Hendrick---------------------------
----------------------------Maguire----------------------------

tetsujin1979
08/03/2018, 12:34 PM
happy enough with that, if you had to pick omissions, Jack Byrne, Josh Cullen and maybe Cillian Sheridan.

Stuttgart88
08/03/2018, 12:38 PM
I wonder if the likes of Williams and Lenihan are considered for their versatility? Williams has played centre back in a trad 2, left of a 3 man centre back, and also left back.
Lenihan has the centre back role, the stopper role, and then the defensive midfielder role in a 3 man.

With the full-back options that we have, we nearly have to consider going three man and wing-backs.

Westwood is not fit.

-----------------------------Gk---------------------------------

------------Rice-----------Duffy-----------Clark---------------

Coleman----------------------------------------- Cunningham

---------------------------Browne------------------------------
---------- Hourihane-------------------Kelly-------------------

----------------------------Hendrick---------------------------
----------------------------Maguire----------------------------

Hendrick for Kelly, Judge for Hendrick?

backstothewall
08/03/2018, 12:39 PM
It would seem some of the lessons of the Grealish situation have been learned.

No Josh Cullen though.

Great squad otherwise though. Exactly what is needed imho

pineapple stu
08/03/2018, 1:19 PM
No Whelan, Randolph, Ward, Walters, O'Shea, Keogh, McGeady.....
Any clarification as to whether they're injured/not being considered for this one/retired?

Certainly an interesting squad. Main concern is that we only have three forwards in an expanded squad of 30, and two of them have one sub appearance between them. Really highlights how in trouble we are up front.

seanfhear
08/03/2018, 1:22 PM
Is Randolph injured , having a rest , giving someone else a chance , missing in action ?

IsMiseSean
08/03/2018, 1:24 PM
I expected Aiden O'Brien to be in there. Is he injured?

DeLorean
08/03/2018, 2:11 PM

Yeah, he hasn't be in the Millwall squad since scoring against Leeds in January. Came off injured in that game.

Park_Lane
08/03/2018, 2:12 PM
Would of liked Graham Carey if we are giving league 1 players a chance. How many of those without.caps will make the final squad?

Olé Olé
08/03/2018, 2:22 PM
Would of liked Graham Carey if we are giving league 1 players a chance. How many of those without.caps will make the final squad?
I would suggest that the fact that the lads picked are much younger is one factor. As well as the fact that it looks imminent they'll be in the Championship with their current clubs. Carey hasn't moved up to the Championship as quick as he could have.

DeLorean
08/03/2018, 3:01 PM
happy enough with that, if you had to pick omissions, Jack Byrne, Josh Cullen and maybe Cillian Sheridan.

Byrne playing in League One, Cullen has played mostly in League One and Sheridan has fallen out of favour with his Siberian team. :)

I'd have had no problem with any of them being included but for the most part O'Neill doesn't seem to go any lower than the Championship.

DeLorean
08/03/2018, 3:08 PM
Any clarification as to whether they're injured/not being considered for this one/retired?

Not really that I can see, just says that he's spoken to all of them, that Ward is only back from injury and that Randolph was never going to play, rested it seems.

Certainly an interesting squad. Main concern is that we only have three forwards in an expanded squad of 30, and two of them have one sub appearance between them. Really highlights how in trouble we are up front.

Any non-fish related suggestions? :)

Certainly worth making contact with Bamford's people at this stage.

backstothewall
08/03/2018, 4:17 PM

Is it possible paperwork is pending for Will Keane and he could be added to the squad if/when it comes through?

liamoo11
08/03/2018, 8:08 PM
Darragh lenihan is an interesting one half his season lost to injury was a defensive midfielder initially where we are lacking outside of meyler(hopefully he not going to be right side of diamond again) and maybe rice. Would like to have seen byrne especially as we have picked the Blackburn lads.

pineapple stu
08/03/2018, 8:48 PM
Any non-fish related suggestions? :)
Ha!

Not really to be honest. It's really worrying. tets' site is quite good (http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PositionDetails?positionID=4), but it's really slim pickings. Checking through names there - McGoldrick? Or is he injured? Adam Rooney? Sammo deserves a mention at least. But I think we need to be looking higher than SPL.

Doyle or Madden? Both doing well in League One lately. But it's low still.

The U-21 team (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_under-21_football_team#Current_squad) looks similarly stuck for options.

Obviously the LoI deserves consideration too. Cummins has started well and has to be on a par with the SPL guys. Hoban too I guess, if a brace against Bray qualifies you!

And yeah - I'm stuck.

backstothewall
08/03/2018, 10:44 PM
Callum Wilson is eligible for us according to TransferMarkt (which is usually pretty reliable). Not sure how aware people are of this, but I only found out today.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-wilson/profil/spieler/123682

I suspect he'd not have much difficulty breaking into our team if he came over to us.

samhaydenjr
09/03/2018, 1:13 AM

Yeah, he hasn't be in the Millwall squad since scoring against Leeds in January. Came off injured in that game.

Is expected back this weekend so could have been included: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/16074587.aiden-obrien-poised-to-return-for-millwall/

Mostly good, although at this point 90% of the squad picks itself. Definitely a good idea to give the Blackburn lads a shot - both have shown themselves Championship quality and will quite possibly be there next season and thus competing for UEFA League places.

Two other decisions I would change: Colin Doyle is roughly the same age as Elliot, Randolph and Westwood and isn't likely to leapfrog them so why not have Ian Lawlor instead? He's made a solid start to his senior club career and is only 23 - could do with a cap or two to cement his confidence early.

Second, I see no point in having Alex Pearce in there, he's only played four times this season - If Rice and Long were to lose their places next season, surely next in line would be Richard Keogh. In spite of his horror show against Mexico, he's playing regularly for Derby, has 18 caps and could even be playing in the Premier League next season.

Fixer82
09/03/2018, 11:02 AM
Is Stephen Gleeson injured? He scored against Mexico and hasn't been seen since.

tetsujin1979
09/03/2018, 11:26 AM
He's for, as far as I know, but not getting much gametime since moving to Ipswich

Diggs246
09/03/2018, 11:46 AM
Callum Wilson is eligible for us according to TransferMarkt (which is usually pretty reliable). Not sure how aware people are of this, but I only found out today.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-wilson/profil/spieler/123682

I suspect he'd not have much difficulty breaking into our team if he came over to us.

His wiki page also states he is eligible, he would be by far our best striker

jbyrne
09/03/2018, 11:50 AM
His wiki page also states he is eligible, he would be by far our best striker

confirms his interest here...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/preston-star-callum-robinson-confirms-he-wants-to-play-for-ireland-36687508.html

Olé Olé
09/03/2018, 12:08 PM
confirms his interest here...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/preston-star-callum-robinson-confirms-he-wants-to-play-for-ireland-36687508.html

Robinson that is. Not Wilson. We established that Wilson isn't eligible.

jbyrne
09/03/2018, 12:22 PM

my bad... just too many callums linked with us these days

Diggs246
09/03/2018, 2:12 PM

Really? Thats a shame. Do u have a link?

DannyInvincible
09/03/2018, 9:53 PM
Good to see an air of freshness to the squad. I would imagine some of the more senior players like Randolph, Keogh and McGeady are just being rested to give young blood a chance. Andy Boyle might have been worth a look at again instead of Pearce.

Is O'Dowda injured?

Great to see Robinson interested too. Sounds enthusiastic too. Another option up front at least. He's played for England quite a few times at various under-age levels, so I'm guessing at least one of those games were competitive, meaning he'll probably have to request a formal switch and wait a while for clearance.

DannyInvincible
09/03/2018, 9:53 PM
Really? Thats a shame. Do u have a link?

Neil O'Riordan tweeted this a good while back:

CraftyToePoke
09/03/2018, 10:00 PM
Is O'Dowda injured?

Yes, been out a while now I think.

tetsujin1979
11/03/2018, 12:11 PM
Having thought about it, it's more likely that Cullen and Byrne are going to be in U21 squad for the game against Azerbaijan on March 27th

liamoo11
11/03/2018, 1:13 PM
Having thought about it, it's more likely that Cullen and Byrne are going to be in U21 squad for the game against Azerbaijan on March 27th

byrne hasn't been involved lately for the 21s so he would be good addition you would fear the 21s campaign could go off the rails very easily. Dunne at accrington seems to have made the step up to league football well since he came up from the conference at Christmas maybe he might be involved with shaughnessy injured

Fixer82
15/03/2018, 8:22 AM
Will this match be on RTÉ or just sky?

Olé Olé
15/03/2018, 8:28 AM
Hadnt realised that regarding Dunne moving up to League Two. Only turned 20 in October.

DeLorean
15/03/2018, 10:07 AM
Will this match be on RTÉ or just sky?

It's definitely not on Sky and RTÉ don't usually have rights to friendlies. I don't see it down for anywhere at the moment but sometimes Premier & Eir Sports pick these kind of games up closer to the time.

IsMiseSean
15/03/2018, 12:21 PM
When we played Turkey in the Euro 2000 playoff, was the away leg on TV?
I have a vague memory of a big match not being shown, but I could be mixing up the games.

osarusan
15/03/2018, 12:36 PM
I do remember a game years ago not being shown, after some company got the broadcasting rights and then tried to get RTE to pay some extortionate amount, which they wouldn't pay. I would have guess it was longer ago than that though.

EDIT: Seems like you are right.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/no-delight-in-turkish-standoff-1.250383

The "negotiations" between RTE, the BBC and Turkey's Star TV over the coverage of the second leg of the Republic of Ireland's play-off in Bursa on Wednesday were continuing but were far from resolved yesterday.

Having missed Friday's 3.00 p.m. deadline for payment of $2 million to Star TV for the television rights to the game, the price absurdly shot up to $3 million, an amount RTE are unwilling to pay. The process is further complicated by the fact that RTE have not been able to renew contact with Star TV despite strenuous efforts via phone and fax. In what is unravelling into a high-stakes poker-type bluff, it is assumed that $3 million is now the price tag.

IsMiseSean
15/03/2018, 12:57 PM
Surprised TV3 aren't mentioned in the negotiations. It was around the time they were showing Ireland away games. They had live coverage of the game in Croatia with Suker's 93rd/94th minute winner.

Stuttgart88
15/03/2018, 2:01 PM
When we played Turkey in the Euro 2000 playoff, was the away leg on TV?
I have a vague memory of a big match not being shown, but I could be mixing up the games.I watched it in a special stream in Cricklewood's Galtymore Ballroom. Tenner in at the door.