PDA

View Full Version : dance compilations

aidz1
11/03/2005, 2:23 PM
personally preferred some of the early global underground releases - like the sasha san fran one. although they started to fade out in their later editions
the inital renaissance releases too were always close by the cd player.
recently the subliminal mixes by morillo have been good i thought.
anyone recommend any good dance compilations released over the last few years?
and for the life of me i am unable to get a good early 90 house compliation (89-93). is there any worthy of buying out there?

patsh
23/03/2005, 12:09 PM
Don't know anything about dance music, so a little help needed here. I'm trying to buy some dance albums as a present for someone who would like the more popular tracks, (hits, charts stuff). I was recommended compilations called "Breakdown", anyone know if this is good, bad or indifferent stuff?

A face
23/03/2005, 1:33 PM
dance albums for someone who would like the more popular tracks, (hits, charts stuff).

Cant help you there Patsh !!

But for any dance/house music compilation, you have to have a look at Renaissance (http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~rsirokov/renaissance.html) stuff !!

tiktok
23/03/2005, 1:42 PM
and for the life of me i am unable to get a good early 90 house compliation (89-93). is there any worthy of buying out there?

I have an old copy of Rave '92 on CD somewhere that I haven't listened to since '92 (funnily enough, it was the last dance compilation that i thought was any good :D ).
I'll pop it into an envelope for you if you want (and if I can find it :confused: )

Colm55
23/03/2005, 2:34 PM
Don't know anything about dance music, so a little help needed here. I'm trying to buy some dance albums as a present for someone who would like the more popular tracks, (hits, charts stuff). I was recommended compilations called "Breakdown", anyone know if this is good, bad or indifferent stuff?

They were probably on about the Euphoria Collection, Euphoria Breakdown etc, yeah they would be one of the best out there.. I'll second your original recommendation.

patsh
24/03/2005, 8:51 AM
OK, thanks for the advice..:)

thecorner
24/03/2005, 11:19 AM
Don't know anything about dance music, so a little help needed here. I'm trying to buy some dance albums as a present for someone who would like the more popular tracks, (hits, charts stuff).

get some of the compilatons by ministry of sound....very charty dance these days...wouldnt be me scene but its all hits..

if u get stuck i could make u up a mixed cd myself

speedking
24/03/2005, 9:47 PM
Just download some songs from Faithless, Underworld, Orbital and stick them on a cd and you are sorted. Most of the other stuff is very boring.

gustavo
30/03/2005, 1:54 PM
i have to confess a year ago i was really looking for the euphoric old school breakdown which had the likes of 2 unlimited , capella , urban cookie collective , haddaway , dr alban , snap , culture beat on it :eek:

4tothefloor
30/03/2005, 2:17 PM
They were probably on about the Euphoria Collection, Euphoria Breakdown etc, yeah they would be one of the best out there.. I'll second your original recommendation.

They're two completely different compilations. One is 'Euphoria', the other is 'Euphoric' (I know :rolleyes: :D ). Euphoria is mostly Hard Dance and Trance, mixed by the most popular DJ's in those scenes (note, most popular, not necessarily the best). Judge Jules has the latest one out, it's basically a 3 cd of classic trance tracks. Jules can't mix anyway, but this would be a good generic cd to buy someone who isn't an expert on dance but likes the music.

I'm trying to buy some dance albums as a present for someone who would like the more popular tracks, (hits, charts stuff). I was recommended compilations called "Breakdown", anyone know if this is good, bad or indifferent stuff?

Euphoric 'The breakdown' series is one of the cheesiest compilations out there.........The Ministry of Sound annuals are complete cheesy rubbish as well, not really dance music at all, more like pop\euro dance rubbish. I presume this is what you're after, Hard Dance, pop dance, and the cheesy stuff you hear in the charts, if so go for these.

On the other hand, if you're after quality underground dance, go for compilations from the likes of Godskitchen, Gatecrasher, Slinky, Renaissance, Global Underground, Hed Kandi, and the earlier Euphoria albums fom '98 - '2001. Basically, go for compilations released by clubnights or mixed by quality dj's.

patsh
30/03/2005, 2:37 PM
Thanks 4tothefloor, it was some Euphoric Breakdown compilations I got, and my nephew was well happy with those. He likes the fairly well-known chart stuff, so Euphoria might be a bit advanced for him.