PDA

View Full Version : David Kelly's 'Verdict' in Ireland on Sunday

Shelsman
08/02/2002, 7:02 PM
Is it just me or does anybody else think that David Kelly' 'Verdict' column every Sunday is exceptionally negative week after week ( all the time? ). He is nearly always doom and gloom predicting that the League is going to 'die'. This is much tied in with his opposition to the 10 team league. I think we got the message the first time, so can't he move onto another topic?

He is doing the League no favours with his negative views.

Éanna
14/02/2002, 12:10 PM
he must be a shels fan so! no fair point, the guy is always whinging. i wish he'd actually say something positive from time to time

Shelsman
18/02/2002, 7:19 PM
Unfortunately David Kelly has continued where he left off with yesterday's 'Verdict' which together with his other article on pg.94/95 again outlines his opposition to the 10 team Premier Division. He used up two entire pages for the same point - does he know the meaning of the word concise?

He also complains about the coverage of the Eircom League by the media yet his own paper didn't even include the Premier or First Division Tables yet did manage to include the results and table for the Scottish Third Division! He claims that his paper struggles to include such information because of late kick off times on Saturday night!

I agree entirely with him that the Premier Division will contain too many Dublin teams ( I really hope Dublin City don't get promoted -a good team perhaps but one without any real identity or tradition, or supporters, or facilities -a bit like UCD really except worse ).
Having that said I would rather go and see say, Bohs vs St. Pats than Limerick vs Cobh. In an ideal world the provincial clubs would be also be up there but they need to work hard for the right to be there -witness Longford Town.

If David Kelly reads this message ( and I hope he does ) then can you PLEASE move onto another subject than the 10 Team League.

Shelsman
18/02/2002, 7:23 PM
Another thing that David Kelly has overlooked is that because clubs like Sligo have had to cut their wage bill when they were relegated it has forced them to undertake an all-local policy. Surely the emergence of Sligo's youthful and talented local side is one of the success stories of the League this season.

Similarly Waterford, Limerick, Kilkenny, Derry and Cork have brought their own youth players through because of tight finances.

Shelsman
26/02/2002, 6:25 PM
Fair Play to David Kelly. Last Sundays Article 'Approved' made for very positive reading.
Dermot Keely made a point in the article that LOI players would have left for an English Third Division side two years ago ( indeed Hawkins moving to the Conference was ridiculous ). This is perhaps true but three or four Shelbourne players turned down the chance to join Notts County in the Second Division after Colin Murphy left Shels to take over there 4/5 years ago.

Pablo
27/02/2002, 12:48 PM
didnt Arkins go to Notts Co. with Murphy??

Jaime
22/03/2002, 9:42 AM
Arkins got a cracking o.g. for NC a few years back, a volley from his own 6 yard box, he was obviously trying to put it over for a corner but blasted spectacularly into his own net. Classic stuff. I remember thinking it funny that they called him "Vince" Arkins on Sky...

Davd Kelly is a Pats fan as far as I know. Now I dont think the Today FM, Pats Programme writer and Ireland on Sunday are the same person, are they? Maybe so. Kelly made wrote a particularly pathetic article on the Pete Mahon farce just after he left, that left a sour taste in many peoples mouths...