PDA

View Full Version : Galway United and Mervue Dispute

galwayforsam
15/02/2018, 11:07 PM
Indeed, very disruptive and it can't have helped pre season preparations. Hopefully something can be sorted and quickly, I can't see it coming to us leaving the county to train. That would be a farce.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/mervue-utd-respond-galway-united-row-reports/ The Mervue response

Galway United have only themselves to blame here.

They had an agreement in place with Mervue over when and how to approach players because Mervue are in the latter stages of alot of the SFAI cups. The Galway United underage coaches broke the agreement by contacting players the night before an SFAI cup game telling them not to play for Mervue and to sign for Galway United. They were told if they played for Mervue they wouldn't sign them. This also happened last season when Mervue lost 4 players to Galway United u15's the week of an SFAI Cup quarter final after pressure was put on them to sign.

There was a meeting scheduled for 19th of February to sort this out but Galway United decided to go public yesterday and then Mervue gave their response today. This could of all been resolved weeks ago when a meeting was arranged between the 2 clubs but Galway Utd sent 2 officials to the meeting who had no knowledge of the agreements in place or the underage structures. Farcical.

Its also important to remember that Mervue own the facilities, its their prerogative to rent them to whoever they like.

Another situation with Galway United and their fans crying wolf. They haven't a pitch, nor a training facility, probably not even a bag of balls but it's always someone elses fault.

Mr A
16/02/2018, 8:45 AM
There have been accusations of Mervue have been tapping up youth players left right and centre for decades. GUFC may have messed up but some at Mervue look like utter hypocrites.

galwayforsam
16/02/2018, 11:07 AM
Mervue have been tapping up youth players left right and centre for decades. GUFC may have messed up but some at Mervue are utter hypocrites.

Success breeds jealousy. The allegations of Mervue tapping up players for years and years have gone on from other clubs, even though players go to play there because they have the best chance of winning things, access to the best facilities and coaching etc.

mcgonigle
16/02/2018, 2:54 PM
Success breeds jealousy. The allegations of Mervue tapping up players for years and years have gone on from other clubs, even though players go to play there because they have the best chance of winning things, access to the best facilities and coaching etc.

Aren't you now doing the same thing re allegations? "Success breeds jealousy" maybe so but now it looks like a crumbling empire breeds pettiness....

galwayforsam
16/02/2018, 3:38 PM
Aren't you now doing the same thing re allegations? "Success breeds jealousy" maybe so but now it looks like a crumbling empire breeds pettiness....

Crumbling empire?

gufcfan
17/02/2018, 12:26 AM
That would be a farce.

We're well beyond that.

galwayforsam
17/02/2018, 12:31 AM
We're well beyond that.

Absolutely

No training facility, no ground.. Do ye borrow the jerseys off Mervue as well?

Xmas3Formation
18/02/2018, 7:01 AM
We're well beyond that.
Are things that bad at Galway???

Martinho II
18/02/2018, 7:21 PM
[QUOTE=Xmas3Formation;1952397]Are things that bad at Galway???[/
yes they are. Galway will more than likely have to train in AIT or UL as Mervue wont let them train there as they claim Galway nabbed a underage player illegally.Thats why Mervue aren't involved with Galway Utd board any more . Galway FA wont let them train either so its a major crisis down west.

galwayforsam
18/02/2018, 8:38 PM
[QUOTE=Xmas3Formation;1952397]Are things that bad at Galway???[/
yes they are. Galway will more than likely have to train in AIT or UL as Mervue wont let them train there as they claim Galway nabbed a underage player illegally.Thats why Mervue aren't involved with Galway Utd board any more . Galway FA wont let them train either so its a major crisis down west.

Mervue aren't involved because they don't want to be involved and never did.They want to run their own club. The FAI wanted a representative from them on the board along with someone from the supporters trust, Salthill and Galway FA.

They did not want the supporters club given full control as they did a few years ago for awhile and it went pear shaped.

Also it's alot more than 1 player. It's nearly double figures of players. And again the issue isn't the fact they are trying to take players, Mervue are happy to see their players play at the highest level. But there was an agreement that was made over how and when approaches were to be made and Galway United broke this agreement and were giving players ultimatums telling them theu were not to play upcoming SFAI cup games for Mervue or they wouldn't be signed.

All that went against the agreement that had been made with GUFC.

If Galway United had their own training facilities and ground it wouldn't be an issue for them but how long have they had a professional team and still don't even have aas much as a training facility?

Mr A
19/02/2018, 1:31 PM
They did not want the supporters club given full control as they did a few years ago for awhile and it went pear shaped.

What are you even on about here?

Separately- worth baring in mind that the chairman of the Galway FA recently stepped down saying "The main reason that I am doing this is the constant negative attitude towards Galway United I would nearly go as far as saying that some people on the Galway FA hope that Galway United as a football club would collapse."

Some seriously toxic stuff going on in Galway football.

galwayforsam
19/02/2018, 3:12 PM
What are you even on about here?

Separately- worth baring in mind that the chairman of the Galway FA recently stepped down saying "The main reason that I am doing this is the constant negative attitude towards Galway United I would nearly go as far as saying that some people on the Galway FA hope that Galway United as a football club would collapse."

Some seriously toxic stuff going on in Galway football.

After Leeson left, the supporters trust were given the running of the club for most of the 2011 season. They ran up big debts, 40 odd grand in the year they were in charge. Players weren't paid on time (Karl Moore came out a couple of years later and said he was still owed money from his time )

Knowing alot of the players playing at that time, they said there were numerous rows in the dressing room before games with players refusing to play unless they were paid. One of the supporters trust would have to go around giving cash to players before kick off to ensure they had a team on the pitch. Out of 36 games, they lost 32. There was money owed to local businesses, bus companies etc which the supporters trust tried to lump in with the old company, when it was in fact the debts were ran up on their watch.

Not exactly very well run, hence why the FAI wanted the Galway FA, Mervue and Salthill all on board this time around along with GUST. There was a financial agreement in place for Mervue and Salthill for leaving the LOI but they had to have a board member on the Galway Uninted board as part of the agreement.

They have now stepped away by choice and with the acceptance of the FAI. The supporters trust are now in control again.

Lunatics running the asylum comes to mind, but we'll see.

Mr A
19/02/2018, 3:35 PM
I thought no one would have bought the line (utter scurrilous lies in my opinion) that Leeson spun when he left that the problems were from GUST taking over rather than from his own utterly disgraceful tenure. But it seems one person bought it at least.

In my opinion GUST did brilliantly to finish the season at all given the horror show they inherited. It could easily and maybe even should have been another Dublin City or Monaghan United, disappearing mid season.

I have always supported Mervue fundraisers when asked. The more time goes on the less inclined I am to ever do so again.

galwayforsam
19/02/2018, 3:49 PM
I thought no one would have bought the line (utter scurrilous lies in my opinion) that Leeson spun when he left that the problems were from GUST taking over rather than from his own utterly disgraceful tenure. But it seems one person bought it at least.

In my opinion GUST did brilliantly to finish the season at all given the horror show they inherited. It could easily and maybe even should have been another Dublin City or Monaghan United, disappearing mid season.

I have always supported Mervue fundraisers when asked. The more time goes on the less inclined I am to ever do so again.

GUST have always wanted to run he club, they got an opportunity when Leeson left and made a balls of it.

They mean well but there's a lot of them who have no idea how to run a football club. They should be building bridges with Mervue and the Galway FA etc not the other way around.

The current situation with Mervue could have been avoided over a month ago when there was a meeting between Mervue and Galway United officials over the underage structure. 2 officials from GUST were sent who had zero knowledge of underage football and what was going on. Complete lack of respect for Mervue, the meeting couldn't take place and of course the problem festered from there. Only themselves to blame here.

I think it's high time Galway United and GUST stopped complaining that the world is against them and try and get their house in order. If it's not the Galway FA's fault it's Mervue, if it's not Mervue it's the FAI.

Philosophizer
19/02/2018, 4:18 PM
[QUOTE=Martinho II;1952442]
If Galway United had their own training facilities and ground it wouldn't be an issue for them but how long have they had a professional team and still don't even have as much as a training facility?

This is actually quite common in the LOI. Some of the biggest clubs still rent training facilities. It's hard to raise enough cash when you're constantly living hand to mouth because you're paying players.

It's easy for amateur clubs who don't have anything like the overheads of a professional team to scoff at LOI clubs facilities.

Sam_Heggy
19/02/2018, 5:06 PM
The Junior clubs of Ireland with this idea that LOI sides should be bowing down to their every demand is laughable.

Now, LOI clubs certainly do need to respect Junior clubs. It's not hard to send a letter to club secretaries stating intentions or requesting permission to sign their player.

I've been involved in both sides of this debate and there is far more obstacles thrown in the way of the LOI club than visa versa.

Either way it's messy and it's usually the people that are shouting "for the good of football in the area" are the ones looking for their ego to be massaged.

Sam_Heggy
19/02/2018, 5:07 PM
The Junior clubs of Ireland with this idea that LOI sides should be bowing down to their every demand is laughable.

Now, LOI clubs certainly do need to respect Junior clubs. It's not hard to send a letter to club secretaries stating intentions or requesting permission to sign their player.

I've been involved in both sides of this debate and there is far more obstacles thrown in the way of the LOI club than visa versa.

Either way it's messy and it's usually the people that are shouting "for the good of football in the area" are the ones looking for their ego to be massaged.

galwayforsam
19/02/2018, 7:03 PM
[QUOTE=galwayforsam;1952447]

This is actually quite common in the LOI. Some of the biggest clubs still rent training facilities. It's hard to raise enough cash when you're constantly living hand to mouth because you're paying players.

It's easy for amateur clubs who don't have anything like the overheads of a professional team to scoff at LOI clubs facilities.

But why would you try and alienate and publicly complain about the club who you rely on for your facilties and most of your underage players and a whole raft of senior players over the years? And break agreements that were put in place re underage structures.

The gas thing is in all this, when Galway United presented a strategic plan to the FAI a few years ago, they had listed a number of clubs who they had agreements in place with to use their faciltiies. Mervue wasn't listed as one of them, they weren't going to be using Mervue to train.

Were these agreements in place? Not at all. Galway United presumed that lots of junior clubs around the county would be delighted to let them use their faciltiies free of charge at any time. Red carpet treatment, maintain the pitches, clean the dressing rooms etc. Of course the fact that these clubs had loans to pay back on these faciltiies and couldn't afford to be paying maintenance staff was never factored in. Delusional and arrogant.

Olander
19/02/2018, 7:29 PM
GUST have always wanted to run he club, they got an opportunity when Leeson left and made a balls of it.

They mean well but there's a lot of them who have no idea how to run a football club. They should be building bridges with Mervue and the Galway FA etc not the other way around.

The current situation with Mervue could have been avoided over a month ago when there was a meeting between Mervue and Galway United officials over the underage structure. 2 officials from GUST were sent who had zero knowledge of underage football and what was going on. Complete lack of respect for Mervue, the meeting couldn't take place and of course the problem festered from there. Only themselves to blame here.

I think it's high time Galway United and GUST stopped complaining that the world is against them and try and get their house in order. If it's not the Galway FA's fault it's Mervue, if it's not Mervue it's the FAI.
Re-writing history now also? Galway United supporters made a balls of running their club did they? You mean when Nick Leeson left the club in over 1 million euro worth of debt and a handful of supporters came in to try and keep their club in business? Yeah I'm not sure how that didn't end well for them.

You constantly reference Galway United complaining about Mervue and the GFA. Firstly, the chairman of the GFA, who is in no way connected with Galway United whatsoever, along with another board member on the GFA, resigned from the board of the GFA because it was so anti Galway United. That's no news to anybody in Galway that has a clue about football - but that was not Galway United, that was people inside the Galway FA. It just shows how deep the rot goes.

Mervue, I saw in their statement that apparently "Galway United had released a statement". There was no statement from the club whatsoever. The manager was at the League launch, journalists asked him how pre-season was going, he told them they were without a training base for three weeks. He didn't blame Mervue, read or listen to the interviews.

My personal opinion on Mervue United is the same as that of Corrib Rangers, Hibs, West United. I'd honestly wish them well, I personally don't really care for them, but I wouldn't wish ill on them. I cannot understand the viewpoint however, which seems very prevalent in a few people heavily involved with Mervue, that they would like to see Galway United fail miserably. Very embittered. Fair enough if you've no interest in the club, that's totally understandable, but there are some seriously toxic people in that club. One of those toxic people is running your club, and he's one of the main ring leaders that was part of the Galway FA board that people left due to the levels of toxicity towards Galway United. Guess what, he was also one of the leading coaches on the Galway FA "Academy" which included no Galway United coaches. Quelle surprise.

Galway United will train elsewhere, it's not the end of the world. We'll continue to sign underage players from Mervue, who will continue to make the process as difficult as possible, but that's just the way it is, no big deal. That's their prerogative I guess, but it sorts of contradicts their statement about not standing in players ways. There will be teething issues with these new underage leagues, but like it or not, players see Galway United, who believe it or not, play at an elite level in the country, as a progression from Mervue United, a few people connected with Mervue seem sickened by that thought.

Any level headed Galway United fan you would've spoken to would admit that there seems to be blame with an underage coach or maybe coach(es) at the club, that should not go without reprimand by the way. Good luck against Newmarket :o

galwayforsam
19/02/2018, 7:46 PM
Re-writing history now also? Galway United supporters made a balls of running their club did they? You mean when Nick Leeson left the club in over 1 million euro worth of debt and a handful of supporters came in to try and keep their club in business? Yeah I'm not sure how that didn't end well for them.

You constantly reference Galway United complaining about Mervue and the GFA. Firstly, the chairman of the GFA, who is in no way connected with Galway United whatsoever, along with another board member on the GFA, resigned from the board of the GFA because it was so anti Galway United. That's no news to anybody in Galway that has a clue about football - but that was not Galway United, that was people inside the Galway FA. It just shows how deep the rot goes.

Mervue, I saw in their statement that apparently "Galway United had released a statement". There was no statement from the club whatsoever. The manager was at the League launch, journalists asked him how pre-season was going, he told them they were without a training base for three weeks. He didn't blame Mervue, read or listen to the interviews.

My personal opinion on Mervue United is the same as that of Corrib Rangers, Hibs, West United. I'd honestly wish them well, I personally don't really care for them, but I wouldn't wish ill on them. I cannot understand the viewpoint however, which seems very prevalent in a few people heavily involved with Mervue, that they would like to see Galway United fail miserably. Very embittered. Fair enough if you've no interest in the club, that's totally understandable, but there are some seriously toxic people in that club. One of those toxic people is running your club, and he's one of the main ring leaders that was part of the Galway FA board that people left due to the levels of toxicity towards Galway United. Guess what, he was also one of the leading coaches on the Galway FA "Academy" which included no Galway United coaches. Quelle surprise.

Galway United will train elsewhere, it's not the end of the world. We'll continue to sign underage players from Mervue, who will continue to make the process as difficult as possible, but that's just the way it is, no big deal. That's their prerogative I guess, but it sorts of contradicts their statement about not standing in players ways. There will be teething issues with these new underage leagues, but like it or not, players see Galway United, who believe it or not, play at an elite level in the country, as a progression from Mervue United, a few people connected with Mervue seem sickened by that thought.

Any level headed Galway United fan you would've spoken to would admit that there seems to be blame with an underage coach or maybe coach(es) at the club, that should not go without reprimand by the way. Good luck against Newmarket :o

If officials in Mervue were so set against Galway United, why would they let them rent their facilties and be wiling to sit down and arrrange agreements over the signing of the underage players, which they had actually agreed to but to be done around SFAI cup games and to go through a correct procedure?

Talk about exaggeration. Officials in Mervue are concerned about the running of their own club, but because this doesn't pander to Galway United then they're being toxic towards them. Laughable stuff.

I'm sure players are delighted to be going up to Galway United to play but to be given ultimatums the night before SFAI Cup games being told not to play for Mervue or else they wouldn't be signed doesm't exactly sound like the actions of an 'elite' level club. Would you want your son being treated like that? And it's more than 1 coach as I'm sure you know!

Olander
19/02/2018, 8:06 PM
If officials in Mervue were so set against Galway United, why would they let them rent their facilties and be wiling to sit down and arrrange agreements over the signing of the underage players, which they had actually agreed to but to be done around SFAI cup games and to go through a correct procedure?

Talk about exaggeration. Officials in Mervue are concerned about the running of their own club, but because this doesn't pander to Galway United then they're being toxic towards them. Laughable stuff.

I'm sure players are delighted to be going up to Galway United to play but to be given ultimatums the night before SFAI Cup games being told not to play for Mervue or else they wouldn't be signed doesm't exactly sound like the actions of an 'elite' level club. Would you want your son being treated like that? And it's more than 1 coach as I'm sure you know!
Christ the way you're painting it out, you would swear Galway United got the use of Fahy's Field for free, like as if you were doing Galway United a massive favour. Fahy's Field is a graveyard in the morning, it's free money for Mervue, who make a five figure sum off Galway United every season. Don't try and paint it as if Mervue are going out of their way to cater to Galway United because that's simply untrue, at least be realistic about it. Half the time the pitches the club was put on weren't even cut down there.

No exaggerations there unfortunately, there are people involved in the running of Mervue United who are extremely anti Galway United, the dog in the bloody street knows that. Then there are more reasonable people like Donnie Farragher involved in Mervue United who has the respect of both club's because he is a good football man.

Absolutely, to your last point, that was incorrect, which I already stated in my previous post and I totally agreed with you. I wouldn't want that for my son, it was not the correct way to act and there was no doubt that Mervue can feel aggrieved over that. I can sort of see the irony that a lot of United fans (and other junior club's) are pointing out, with Mervue poaching players for years from other Galway club's unashamedly, but that was the cycle. Mervue and Salthill had the underage League of Ireland teams while they were in the league and for the few years we came back into the league. Now those players will join Galway United, but the club will seriously have to work on how they approach club's and players, and do it with much more respect and tact.

gufcfan
19/02/2018, 9:05 PM
Mervue aren't involved because they don't want to be involved and never did.

You have 5 or 6 posts, all attacking Galway United.

I've heard a lot of easily disproved lies about Galway football in the last few years, but that takes the biscuit. I suppose you didn't want all the UEFA solidarity money that was diverted to Mervue and Salthill either, not to mention all the money paid to Mervue by GUFC for rental of facilities, that was not discounted in any way, despite Mervue posing as equal partners in the FAI created Galway FC.

They want to run their own club.

Well done. One thing right at least.

The FAI wanted a representative from them on the board along with someone from the supporters trust, Salthill and Galway FA. They did not want the supporters club given full control as they did a few years ago for awhile and it went pear shaped.

Demonstrably false.

The supporters were never in control of Galway United. They kept it going, paid bills left by the club all over the place. The board were happy for people to think the supporters were in control of the club, but in reality, the supporters were keeping it going from day to day, but the board made all the decisions and could hardly have done a better job at trying to sink the club if they had been doing it deliberately.

As evidenced by John O'Sullivan's account a few years ago (http://www.the42.ie/john-o-sullivan-2091548-May2015/) of how the FAI treated clubs, the real reason the FAI did not want the fans running Galway United was a fear that we would lead a campaign against the league committee chairman, who helped create the mess in Galway, possibly running a candidate against him ourselves.

Also it's alot more than 1 player. It's nearly double figures of players. And again the issue isn't the fact they are trying to take players, Mervue are happy to see their players play at the highest level.

Mervue have had a policy for a long time of wishing players well when they move on, as long as it isn't to Galway United they are going.

But there was an agreement that was made over how and when approaches were to be made and Galway United broke this agreement and were giving players ultimatums telling them theu were not to play upcoming SFAI cup games for Mervue or they wouldn't be signed. All that went against the agreement that had been made with GUFC.

Could the Galway United coach have behaved better? Of course. It's a bit rich for Mervue to throw the toys out of the pram over it though.

That's before you even talk about agreements. Mervue have had unique agreements relating to Galway United that happen nowhere else in the world. They were getting compensation for players that clubs elsewhere, or even other clubs in Galway are not and entitled to.

A backroom deal was made between Mervue, Salthill and the FAI to lock Galway United out of the underage LOI for 5 years.

So yes, lets talk about agreements.

If Galway United had their own training facilities and ground it wouldn't be an issue for them but how long have they had a professional team and still don't even have aas much as a training facility?

The money routed away from Galway United to Mervue and Salthill in the last 5 years could have built a facility. Money that didn't come from taxpayers either.

The vast majority of people I know who have been involved with Mervue over the years are decent people, with a bit of cop on and an ability to see past the parochialism... but the way you and a few others talk about Fahy's Field, you'd swear you used your own blood to mix the cement. Mervue people worked hard, but it was built with public money on land that still belongs to the corporation.

By your own definition, you're "dirty scroungers".

The money siphoned out of GUFC over the last number of years could have built a facility, albeit a basic one. The irony of people throwing **** at GUFC, making the club out to be scroungers is staggering.

Galway United's existence has been a hugely positive influence. If LOI football had not been played in Galway, Terryland Park would likely still be a field with a cowshed beside it. Government grants paid to develop it would never have been paid without the demand for LOI football.

The Mervue official that released the statement in reply to our statement, which we never actually made, is one of the ringleaders of the 'toxic' campaign against Galway United within the Galway FA, that the GFA chairman, who has nothing to do with GUFC, resigned over.

Call us some more four letter words and avoid the issues some more, like the rest of yee have being doing online for the last week. Go on.

gufcfan
19/02/2018, 9:05 PM
I just realised this is the transfers thread. Maybe a mod might like to move it somewhere more appropriate.

Mr A
20/02/2018, 11:30 AM
Split it out as suggested

Kingdom
20/02/2018, 12:14 PM
Honest question here. If Mervue are producing so many players, being the best in the county, so-on and so-forth, and have amazing facilities, run their club impeccably and have the finances right, then why aren't they in the LOI playing out of Terryland/EDP and offering their elite players that chance, instead of an entity like Galway FC which seems to be a basket case?

gufct
20/02/2018, 12:19 PM
GUFC never released a statement attacking Mervue,the manager answered questions he was asked by a Galway Bay Journalist who knew what was happening and the national s picked up on it. GUST were given three weeks to pay off all footballing debts of Nick and his Board which was a substantial 5 figure sum alone never mind the bills that appeared after we fully took over which brought the debts to over €1m and we weren't able t do anything without the agreement of the previous board and Former CEO. We were all just supporters with no backer and dug into our own pockets to ensure soccer stayed alive in EDP.

I'm sure the FAI and the Author of the Report would have a different view of how the solution to the lack of a proper Galway Team in the Loi was worked out. Mervue is a great club with many great footballing people involved but there is a cabal that would love to see GUFC going to the wall again.

galwayforsam
20/02/2018, 4:32 PM
Honest question here. If Mervue are producing so many players, being the best in the county, so-on and so-forth, and have amazing facilities, run their club impeccably and have the finances right, then why aren't they in the LOI playing out of Terryland/EDP and offering their elite players that chance, instead of an entity like Galway FC which seems to be a basket case?

Galway United have the tradition and supporter base, Mervue have always been a junior and underage club.

Mervue were never going to get the support of Galway behind them even when Galway United were not playing in the league. Just doesn't work that way, so it was never sustainable in the long term.

mcgonigle
20/02/2018, 9:11 PM
Crumbling empire?

Pretty self explanatory I would have thought. Mervue are now going to start losing their best players to Galway Utd and will no longer be the biggest puppy farm in the West. So they're having a strop same way Kevin's had a strop. Too many big heads with too much power in the junior leagues, this setup should thankfully weed that out

gufcfan
20/02/2018, 9:24 PM
Pretty self explanatory I would have thought. Mervue are now going to start losing their best players to Galway Utd and will no longer be the biggest puppy farm in the West. So they're having a strop same way Kevin's had a strop. Too many big heads with too much power in the junior leagues, this setup should thankfully weed that out

Despite the fact that Mervue are just one club among many in Galway, they still wield a lot of power to disrupt progress. They have control of the Galway FA board and according to the chairman that resigned over their anti-GUFC attitude, have people not even on the Galway FA making decisions and doing things in the name of the Galway FA behind people's backs.

mcgonigle
21/02/2018, 8:18 AM
Everyone is out to get Galway United and keep them down. Rinse and repeat. Yawn

So the Galway FA chairman was lying? It's a lie that Galway Utd are not allowed sell their merchandise in the ground? It's a lie that they had to remove the bar (an important revenue generator) from the old dressing rooms? It's a lie that they cannot bring in their own vendors on match nights?

Tip of the iceberg really but this does not reflect well on the Galway FA and in turn Mervue if they do indeed have that much influence. But sure look isn't it more important that some people feel all important and powerful than everyone working together to do what's best for football in Galway? There's blame on both sides for sure, but this is ultimately about putting a structure in place for kids to develop and enjoy the game, it's really embarrassing all this bitching.

gufcfan
21/02/2018, 11:19 AM
It's a lie that Galway Utd are not allowed sell their merchandise in the ground?

That's not actually true. The area Galway United refurbished upstairs in the old clubhouse that overlooks the pitch, that we had been using as sort of corporate hospitality space, was rented out to our merchandise supplier without consulting us. He set up a shop that is open during the week, but also on match nights, in competition with our club shop, right beside it. I could say a lot more about the kit supplier, but I better not. The sooner the contract is over the better.

It's a lie that they cannot bring in their own vendors on match nights?

I believe we offered far more than the current fast 'food' vendors when the Galway FA pretended to tender the contract. We can't even sell soft drinks in the bar because of the contract between them and the Galway FA.

We could grow matchday revenue massively, but the lads on the Galway FA would rather cut off their nose to spite their face.

IsMiseSean
21/02/2018, 12:16 PM
I could say a lot more about the kit supplier, but I better not. The sooner the contract is over the better.

Out of interest, when does the contract end? Not a fan of the Uhlsport gear at all.