PDA

View Full Version : Zachary Elbouzedi (M AIK b.1998)

Pages : [1] 2

tetsujin1979
19/02/2018, 11:06 AM
After three appearances on loan for Elgin City, he made his debut for Inverness Caledonian Thistle yesterday against Crusaders as a second half substitute for Jake Mulraney.

tetsujin1979
04/01/2020, 2:51 PM
on the bench for Lincoln today, after his move from Waterford was completed on New Year's Day

tommy_c12000
09/12/2020, 12:55 AM
Time to resurrect this thread. A few of us were saying that we were surprised he hasn’t had much of a look in yet at Lincoln City who are flying high in league 1 after his recent Irish u21 showings. Zach was MOTM (goal and 2 assists) tonight, granted only FA league trophy vs Shrewsbury. But I think we will see a lot more of him with Lincoln City this season, on the back of this performance

Eirambler
16/01/2021, 10:38 AM
Linked with a loan move down to League 2, possibly Bolton, for the rest of the season. Would be good to see him get a run of first team football as he hasn't had that since joining Lincoln.

Olé Olé
16/01/2021, 10:51 AM
Linked with a loan move down to League 2, possibly Bolton, for the rest of the season. Would be good to see him get a run of first team football as he hasn't had that since joining Lincoln.

Based on everything I've seen of him at under 21 level for Ireland, the reports of cup outings for Lincoln and his skillset, I reckon he would rip it up at League Two level. Bolton are a big club and he would have a serious marksman at that level in Eoin Doyle to be supplying. I definitely think you're right and that a proper run will do him a lot of good.

Eirambler
16/01/2021, 12:41 PM
Confirmed now to Bolton for the rest of the season.

John83
16/01/2021, 1:39 PM
Based on everything I've seen of him at under 21 level for Ireland, the reports of cup outings for Lincoln and his skillset, I reckon he would rip it up at League Two level. Bolton are a big club and he would have a serious marksman at that level in Eoin Doyle to be supplying. I definitely think you're right and that a proper run will do him a lot of good.
Is that a general statement that you rate him, or is there some specific characteristic he has that prompted that?

Exgrad
16/01/2021, 1:42 PM
Starts for Bolton today.

Olé Olé
16/01/2021, 1:42 PM
Is that a general statement that you rate him, or is there some specific characteristic he has that prompted that?

Bit of both. He seems to thrive out wide with his pace and trickery. I would have thought that League Two with potentially slower full backs and a good striker in Doyle would also be a help.

Eirambler
23/01/2021, 5:08 PM
Was subbed off at half time today and seems to be getting an awful lot of stick from Bolton fans online for his display. Surely it's too soon to judge him though, he's only been there a week.

tommy_c12000
15/07/2021, 1:39 PM
Delighted for this guy and his move to AIK. It didn’t happen for him at Lincoln or Bolton last season, but he really impressed me towards the end of his Irish under 21 career. He clearly impressed the former Swedish U21 assistant manager who saw Elbouzedi play against his side twice a couple of years ago as he’s now taking Zach to AIK. They are already into their season, AIK lie 5th. Wishing him all the best, hopefully he’ll get some game time!

ifk101
16/07/2021, 9:31 AM
Interesting move. Football wise the standard is comparable to what he has been playing (L1/ L2) but the infrastructure is a step-up (AIK's stadium is the national stadium). Swedish club football is slower, less physical and more deliberate - so should suit him depending on how he adapts off-the-field.

Exgrad
16/07/2021, 2:51 PM
A three and a half year deal is pretty good going for him

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40337891.html

Razors left peg
16/07/2021, 3:32 PM
Very nice move for him. Lower divisions of English football obviously didnt suit him

Exgrad
16/07/2021, 3:35 PM
Yep. He's joining a squad that had a couple of players at the Euros, its some jump up from L2. Shows what underage international football, or rather excelling at that level, can do for your profile.

paul_oshea
16/07/2021, 9:34 PM
I wouldn't be getting too excited about a player going to the Swedish league, having seen it first hand, bar decent crowds it's nothing to write home about.

Olé Olé
16/07/2021, 9:54 PM
I think it's probably a sideways step but an interesting step given where he was and given that four players from that league were in the Swedish squad for the Euros, albeit they were all there based on their careers as a whole I would imagine.

It's also a different style of football and one that may suit him and maybe will provide a platform for an international call up or a move to a better league. Or maybe a move back to the LOI.. Who knows.

Trequartista20
17/07/2021, 5:53 PM
It's a relatively poor standard, though better than the LoI, and I wish him the very best.

samhaydenjr
17/07/2021, 7:52 PM
It's a relatively poor standard, though better than the LoI, and I wish him the very best.

With 11 senior internationals in the AIK squad alone, I'd say it's quite a bit higher than LoI - probably comparable with SPFL, with a few big clubs, padded out by lower standard teams - luckily Zach is going to one of the big ones. Or perhaps it will be like Josh Cullen at Anderlecht

tetsujin1979
18/07/2021, 2:57 PM
Named on the bench this afternoon

Exgrad
19/07/2021, 10:17 AM
Made his debut coming on as an 85 minute sub, 14k (restricted attendance) at the Friends arena, looks like a great atmosphere...

Highlights here, think he's hitting the corner around the 2min mark in the clip:

CakdT9AT48E

Kingdom
19/07/2021, 11:45 AM
He's not taking the corner, but thanks for the highlights, looks like it has the makings of a really shíte move for Zach.

Eirambler
21/07/2021, 5:50 AM
That's the spirit!

In fairness he struggled in League 2 last season so if he can break in to the AIK first team it will have been a good move for him, given his difficulties at club level to date.

tetsujin1979
20/08/2021, 12:08 PM
First goal for AIK last night, at 6:06 below
xHJkrvlzoXU

ifk101
21/09/2021, 6:48 AM
Another 90mins last night as his team (AIK) move into first place in the table. Seems the general consensus is he is improving with each game but needs to start contributing with assists/ goals.

Stuttgart88
22/09/2021, 12:54 PM
Have you seen him playing with his hair twice while on the ball?!

tetsujin1979
07/11/2021, 3:59 PM
First league goal for AIK this afternoon, and it's a cracking goal, followed it up with an assist later in the same game

John83
08/11/2021, 9:28 AM
Took a deflection, I think, but still a good strike.

Bielsa´s irish
08/11/2021, 9:41 AM
What a long shot. Cap this fellow. Could play right mid a zone we need extra competition

tetsujin1979
29/11/2021, 11:36 PM
Assist for Elbouzedi in the AIK's second last game of the season.a 4-2 win over Elfsborg
This means AIK are guaranteed European football next season, and have an outside chance of winning the championship in the final weekend of the season. It's unlikely though, they need to beat Sirius, and Malmo have to lose to fourth from bottom Halmstad

samhaydenjr
30/11/2021, 1:28 AM
Also involved in the third goal, with a cracking drive forcing a parry from the keeper that the AIK forward gobbled up

dynamo kerry
30/11/2021, 8:24 AM
Also involved in the third goal, with a cracking drive forcing a parry from the keeper that the AIK forward gobbled up

I think it has to be called a successful move so far. Full season with them next year could be very good. Especially with European football.

Stuttgart88
30/11/2021, 8:39 AM
I saw something on twitter yesterday that PSV are looking to sign a pair of 16 year olds from Rovers and Bohs.

Maybe Irish football transfers will start to resemble the now famous post-Brexit ferry map highlighting how UK ports are now being bypassed.

tetsujin1979
30/11/2021, 8:41 AM
Highlights here
xSeessEbKMc

samhaydenjr
30/11/2021, 1:59 PM
I think it has to be called a successful move so far. Full season with them next year could be very good. Especially with European football.

Definitely - even if it's not quite the level where you could say "call him up!" unreservedly, he does seem to be thriving, which is better than bouncing around League One and Two, especially with some European football to look forward to, as you said. In terms of what level he is actually playing at, if we have a look at average salaries in the Allsvenskan, they seem to be about 140-150000 euros (https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8m66pw/the_average_gross_monthly_salary_of_a_player_in/), which is roughly comparable with League One, and about two-thirds the average salary of a player in the Belgian league, where Josh Cullen plies his trade. AIK's average league attendance in the last full pre-COVID season was close to 19,000, so Championship/Big League One club fan base.

I think if he builds on his success so far and really becomes integral to AIK's success, then the Josh Cullen comparison is most appropriate and there is definitely a case to be made for inclusion in future squads; however, if he becomes more of a fringe player or goes to a smaller team than AIK, then it becomes more of a Jack Byrne/Dan Crowley in the Eredivisie situation.

tetsujin1979
05/12/2021, 11:17 AM
AIK won 4-2 in their final game of the season to finish second behind champions Malmo, who drew 0-0, on goal difference.
AIK go into the second qualifying round for the Europa Conference next season.
Sligo, St Pat's, and Derry City are in the first qualifying round

Insidetherock
24/12/2021, 11:51 AM
Looking at Swedens national squad, theres loads of Swedish league players making their international team, and they're probably half a step higher than ourselves atm.. so if Elbazoudi is able to play and excel there, theres no reason he shouldn't at least get a look in here.

Longer term, I do think more and more Irish players will be coming through via European teams rather than English/Scottish.. and no harm to see it to be honest

samhaydenjr
29/12/2021, 2:26 AM
Apparently has been turning down approaches from Javier Clemente to play for Libya, as he aims to play for Ireland. https://www.the42.ie/zack-elbouzedi-spurns-libya-call-up-to-keep-ireland-dream-alive-5632541-Dec2021/

Don't believe he should be called up to tie him to us, but I think his recent form certainly merits a shot

Razors left peg
29/12/2021, 4:29 AM
2 assists and 1 goal this season as a winger in a pretty weak league. The goal he got was a great strike which made people sit up and take notice, but let's not get carried away because he's playing in an unusual league for an Irish player.
A year ago he couldn't get a game for Lincoln. I hope he continues to progress but he's still got a lot to do to merit a call up to seniors

Olé Olé
29/12/2021, 9:35 AM
2 assists and 1 goal this season as a winger in a pretty weak league. The goal he got was a great strike which made people sit up and take notice, but let's not get carried away because he's playing in an unusual league for an Irish player.
A year ago he couldn't get a game for Lincoln. I hope he continues to progress but he's still got a lot to do to merit a call up to seniors
Apparently and by a few accounts, he was playing well but just wasn't getting the assists or his crosses weren't being put away. And I don't think it's fair to say people are getting carried away. And it isn't that weak a league compared to where we are drawing from.

Razors left peg
29/12/2021, 3:58 PM
Hopefully he kicks on next season but from what I've seen of him he's not overly skillful or quick for a winger

ifk101
30/12/2021, 12:38 PM
Hopefully he kicks on next season but from what I've seen of him he's not overly skillful or quick for a winger

Vilka kvaliteter tänker du på då?
- Jag skulle säga att det är hans fart när han driver bollen. Jag tror att det är få spelare i allsvenskan som har den farten. Han är väldigt snabb utan boll också, men det är många spelare i allsvenskan. Just med bollen är han oerhört snabb och han utnyttjar den väl. Det är det första jag tänker på.
https://www.fotbollskanalen.se/allsvenskan/grzelak-hyllar-elbouzedi-fa-spelare-i-allsvenskan-som-har-den-farten/

You can google translate the above.

Looking at Swedens national squad, theres loads of Swedish league players making their international team, and they're probably half a step higher than ourselves atm.. so if Elbazoudi is able to play and excel there, theres no reason he shouldn't at least get a look in here.

Sweden usually plays internationals in January with a domestic/ summer league based squad (cancelled for this January), and hence the high number of players in the league with caps. Few would have competitive caps - typically established international players finishing out their careers in Sweden.

elatedscum
30/12/2021, 1:05 PM
There was a viral video a few years ago, I think when he was playing for Waterford, where he showed insane pace running the pitch, think he finished it but he could have laid it to another player for an open goal.

As for skill, he’s got a bit about him. For the 21s group under Kenny - Connolly was clearly the most dangerous player used out wide, followed by Farrugia and Elbouzedi who both looked impressive at that level. The rest of Scully, Barrett, Mallon, Power etc etc didn’t really impress. Obviously Scully seems to have come on significantly since then.

For Elbouzedi, he’s maybe a little lightweight but you’ve always got to be cautious about bulking up as a winger and losing pace. He has that winger thing of, when it doesn’t click, looking a little brain dead and frustrating a lot but overall I rate him, I think he’s a guy where the more you see, the more he grows on you. he’ll need luck to have an international career but in some respects he’s not a million miles behind Ogbene, O’Dowda etc etc

elatedscum
30/12/2021, 1:08 PM
Don’t think this is the one I was talking about but 4 mins in (pace)

https://youtu.be/Zhf9Jt38YVE

Olé Olé
30/12/2021, 3:22 PM
As I say this I'm not sure if it sounds silly but giving him a run would be a good example to other lads as to the benefit of getting out and playing outside of England. There's an opportunity to find a league or a style that suits you better than League One. Would Ogbene fare better elsewhere?

Stuttgart88
31/12/2021, 10:08 PM
I think he’s got something about him that warrants a serious look in 2022.

liamoo11
31/12/2021, 11:37 PM
As I say this I'm not sure if it sounds silly but giving him a run would be a good example to other lads as to the benefit of getting out and playing outside of England. There's an opportunity to find a league or a style that suits you better than League One. Would Ogbene fare better elsewhere?

I don't see the point of that surely you get picked if your most suited to the role required regardless of who you play for.

Ogbene is fast strong and direct English league football would seem to me to suit him well, it certainly is not his technical ability that's going to bring him to a higher level in the game

tetsujin1979
28/02/2022, 11:03 PM
First goal of the season for Elbouzedi on Sunday in a 4-0 win for AIK in the Swedish Cup, see 1:05 below
Takes a massive deflection
vk-ja3sOxg4

Kingdom
01/03/2022, 11:58 AM
Fwiw, I'd have Elbouzedi in any finalised Ireland squad now. I think he's a class act and is only going to get better. I think he's one of those players who will perform better with better players around him. He's quick, his touch is excellent, and he whips in beautiful crosses. He just needs to add goals. Hopefully the one above is a portent for the season to come.

He's absolutely worth giving the full game against Lithuania at the end of the month.

Razors left peg
03/03/2022, 7:42 PM
Fwiw, I'd have Elbouzedi in any finalised Ireland squad now. I think he's a class act and is only going to get better. I think he's one of those players who will perform better with better players around him. He's quick, his touch is excellent, and he whips in beautiful crosses. He just needs to add goals. Hopefully the one above is a portent for the season to come.

He's absolutely worth giving the full game against Lithuania at the end of the month.

Id still like to see more of him this season before going that far. He only had a couple of assists last season and is not that far removed from hardly being able to get a game in L2. No harm in calling him up to squad to have a look at him in training but Im not sure Id have him near the team yet