PDA

View Full Version : NCT Test

blobbyblob
11/03/2005, 8:30 AM
Morning People,

Have the NCT test this eveining. Does anyone know if they are particularly finiky about anything in particular?

Any hints or tips on what I should watch out for?

noby
11/03/2005, 8:52 AM
They're finiky about everything.
Taking it for a spin to warm up the engine can help with the emmissions.
And don't forget to take off your hubcaps. They have to be able to see the wheel nuts

Macy
11/03/2005, 8:58 AM
They're finiky about everything.
Taking it for a spin to warm up the engine can help with the emmissions.
And don't forget to take off your hubcaps. They have to be able to see the wheel nuts
I agree, Take it for a good spin - low gear high revs to get the engine hot and working efficiently for the emissions test.

I'd say have the car in a reasonably clean state inside and out - just gives a better impression I suppose. Shouldn't matter that much, but would probably help.

Lionel Ritchie
11/03/2005, 10:50 AM
I agree, Take it for a good spin - low gear high revs to get the engine hot and working efficiently for the emissions test.

I'd say have the car in a reasonably clean state inside and out - just gives a better impression I suppose. Shouldn't matter that much, but would probably help.

They can be p1ssy over the silliest things.
My better halfs otherwise immaculatley turned out wee fiesta was failed because she didn't have "Muinechain" in half inch letters over the MN.

green army
11/03/2005, 11:43 AM
get the height of your beams checked. kwik fit did it for me for nothing. it would be a shame to fall it on that and have to spend €27 to do it again.

blobbyblob
11/03/2005, 11:57 AM
Just had the brakes and tyres done in the garaiste - €350
New Windscreen Tuesday - €350
Changed the original date for the test - €70

Robbing a bike from outside Superquinn - Priceless

Terry Phelan
11/03/2005, 12:29 PM
try slip the nct garage man €20 and see what happens :) ;)

noby
11/03/2005, 12:43 PM

Some windscreen cracks are acceptable, depending on where they are, and the length

blobbyblob
11/03/2005, 12:45 PM
Ill be down to you in a half hour Noby. You know your stuff by the sounds of things :)

noby
11/03/2005, 1:11 PM
I know very little about cars.
I've learnt a bit about being screwed by garages.

My wife had an old Subaru Justy up for the NCT a few years ago. A certain mechanic suggested bringing it in, and he'd ready it for the test (brakes, tyres, new windscreen etc.)
She didn't bother, and it passed first time.

So , unless there's something glaringly obvious that needs to be sorted, I just go for the test, and if it fails, you can go to the garage with the NCT print-out, and say "I want you to fix this for me. Nothing else"

Anyway, it's too late now. Soon enough you'll be pacing up and down the waiting room, like an expectant father outside the delivery suite.
Best of Luck.

Eire06
11/03/2005, 1:19 PM
Just had the brakes and tyres done in the garaiste - €350
Changed the original date for the test - €70

Robbing a bike from outside Superquinn - Priceless

You should really just go for the test first then they will tell you whats wrong then just get that fixed in Garage and when you go back to NCT they just check what failed...
Save you from Garage ripping you off too

blobbyblob
11/03/2005, 1:33 PM
Ah yeah - thats teh plan. Just doing the obvious stuff first though. Tyres were bald and the brakes were grinding.

Poxy test.

blobbyblob
12/03/2005, 10:06 AM
Failed on the colour of the indicators. Not orange enough apparently...

AND HE WAS DUTCH!!!!

Hes still bitter obviously

pete
13/03/2005, 12:10 PM
You should really just go for the test first then they will tell you whats wrong then just get that fixed in Garage and when you go back to NCT they just check what failed...
Save you from Garage ripping you off too

Yup thats the best advice. Obviously check the things you can do inexpensively but no need to spend a firtune in advance as worst thing that can happen is have to bring back for re-test at only €27 or something... Make sure rear seatbelts are not tucked away, simple things like that.

I remember last time or forgot about the hub caps as NCT guy had weird name for them.

dahamsta
13/03/2005, 2:36 PM
Does anyone know if they are particularly finiky about anything in particular?Headlight alignment is a favourite of theirs. Get it done the day before you go.

adam

M@ttitude
14/03/2005, 10:34 AM
Some windscreen cracks are acceptable, depending on where they are, and the length
How about a four inch crack, just above the rear view mirror?

pete
14/03/2005, 11:39 AM
How about a four inch crack, just above the rear view mirror?

Could be ok with that. Most insurance policies have free windscreen replacement.

noby
14/03/2005, 11:39 AM
I've seen a diagram before, of what areas/size of cracks are acceptable. Basically nothing right in front of you. Maybe your local garage or NCT centre might have a copy of this diagram.