PDA

View Full Version : Benitez takes a break in Irish pub

sligoman
10/03/2005, 5:01 PM
Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez caused a furore in Cologne, Germany on Tuesday night when he stopped off at Jameson’s Distillery Pub to take a tipple and watch live coverage of that evening’s Champions League action!

Benitez and his assistant Pako Ayesteran took a break from their preparations for Wednesday night’s big clash with Bayer Leverkusen to drop into Cologne’s Irish pub for the live television coverage.

http://www.elevenaside.com/offthefield/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16408

gustavo
10/03/2005, 6:48 PM
eamon dunphy made a good point last night when he said that benitez brings a degree of dignity to the premiership that is often lacking . fair play to him i hope he does well with liverpool.

thejollyrodger
10/03/2005, 7:10 PM
Im not a liverpool suporter

Fair play to Rafa... That will no doubt lift some oft the suporters. Totally agree with Dunphy, rafa seems to be the man who can bring liverpool back to near to what they were.

sing... la la

rafa (low) RAFA (HIGH)

rafa,,RAFA....rafa,,RAFA.....rafa,,RAFA.....,RAFAL BENITEZ:D

lopez
10/03/2005, 8:28 PM
Im not a liverpool suporter

Fair play to Rafa... That will no doubt lift some oft the suporters. Totally agree with Dunphy, rafa seems to be the man who can bring liverpool back to near to what they were.Also not a 'Pool man myself, but I do like Rafa. I agree with Dummy, which is kinda strange itself. Contrast him with Meow-rinho.

I'd like to know is how he learnt such good English. He's had no experience in an English-speaking environment or am I wrong? Compare him with Becks who's had a year longer in Spain but who's Spanish is what most people pick up in their first Spanish lesson.

4tothefloor
10/03/2005, 8:34 PM
Pictures of Benitez in the Irish pub, great article too.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N148088050309-1830.htm

Was very impressed with the performance on wednesday night, but the question I would ask is why can't they have this attitude in every away game? They approached the game to win it, and did it at a canter. Why they can't do this away to the likes of Southampton, Newcastle etc is beyond me. Had they played like that against Chelsea in the cup final they'd have won that one too. Instead they went into a defensive shell. Hopefully this will be a turning point and the end of the disasterous away performances.

ciaran76
11/03/2005, 7:46 AM
The article made me laugh my ******s off i have to admit. :)
I would be embarasssed if that was on my teams offical site :eek:

And the "It was like Jesus walking into the room" now that made me laugh.

Last week lots of Liverpool fans were calling for him to be sacked after their games againt Newcastle and Birmingham.
From zero to hero in a week !

Also seen the dig at Everton in the link to. I remember Joe Royle coming into pubs after games a few years back.

Showed this to 2 Liverpool fans here in work and they cringed...

jockser
11/03/2005, 8:46 AM
well that is you mate i was dead proud to see the manager of the team i support mingle with the fans in a non media staged event. could you imagine the 3 eejits wenger ferguson or murihnio doing that? Never! unless skysports were there and they got an appearance fee!!

that is supposed to make you laugh :rolleyes:

Last week lots of Liverpool fans were calling for him to be sacked after their games againt Newcastle and Birmingham.
lots? not one was calling for him to be sacked! where are these lots? :confused:

Also seen the dig at Everton in the link to. I remember Joe Royle coming into pubs after games a few years back. and? your point being?

Showed this to 2 Liverpool fans here in work and they cringed...again....your point being?
Bitterness will get you nowhere in life mate ;)

ciaran76
11/03/2005, 8:54 AM
lots? not one was calling for him to be sacked! where are these lots? :confused:

I listened to Radio merseyside last week after the game and thats where i heard it. Sorry i didn't make that clear as i should have.

Yes you are right about the other 3 managers you prob. wouldn't see them anywhere near a pub.

Not bitter just an opinion ;)

drinkfeckarse
11/03/2005, 10:44 AM
Yes you are right about the other 3 managers you prob. wouldn't see them anywhere near a pub.

Don't know about Ferguson....that big red whiskey nose didn't just miraculously appear itself :D

KK77
11/03/2005, 11:33 AM

Also seen the dig at Everton in the link to. I remember Joe Royle coming into pubs after games a few years back.

Showed this to 2 Liverpool fans here in work and they cringed...

Mate, i have supported Liverpool all my life and i am STH and i can tell you now i speak for others as well when i say the fans were so proud to see Rafa come to the pub on tuesday night it shows him to be a true man how can you say you'd cringe are you for real or just a manc. Fair play to Rafa any other clubs fans would love to see their manager stroll into the pub like he did anyway why shouldn't he???? In this day and age of football superstars and big egos Rafa just showed what people have been saying hes a man with dignity and doesn't look at fans and say o nop i can't go into the pub with them i am Rafa Benitez Liverpool manager i am to big to do that.

lopez
11/03/2005, 11:55 AM
...Fair play to Rafa any other clubs fans would love to see their manager stroll into the pub like he did anyway why shouldn't he???? In this day and age of football superstars and big egos Rafa just showed what people have been saying hes a man with dignity and doesn't look at fans and say o nop i can't go into the pub with them i am Rafa Benitez Liverpool manager i am to big to do that.Brian Kerr was exactly the same in Basel. Strolling around on a pub crawl. Time for everyone.

ciaran76
11/03/2005, 12:07 PM
Mate, i have supported Liverpool all my life and i am STH and i can tell you now i speak for others as well when i say the fans were so proud to see Rafa come to the pub on tuesday night it shows him to be a true man how can you say you'd cringe are you for real or just a manc. Fair play to Rafa any other clubs fans would love to see their manager stroll into the pub like he did anyway why shouldn't he???? In this day and age of football superstars and big egos Rafa just showed what people have been saying hes a man with dignity and doesn't look at fans and say o nop i can't go into the pub with them i am Rafa Benitez Liverpool manager i am to big to do that.

I cringed at what the fans were saying are they for real ? :confused:

ciaran76
11/03/2005, 12:19 PM
Jesus Benitez :p

Ouch me sides :D

jockser
11/03/2005, 12:49 PM
I cringed at what the fans were saying are they for real ? :confused:
you should see someone about all that cringing lad!!! :D :D :D

ciaran76
11/03/2005, 2:06 PM
you should see someone about all that cringing lad!!! :D :D :D

Maybe Jesus Benitez can cure me :p

Penny for an old ex-cringer ? :D

KK77
11/03/2005, 2:47 PM
Maybe Jesus Benitez can cure me :p

Penny for an old ex-cringer ? :D

Suppose you and your two work mates also cringed at the fact Rafa was wearing at justice for the 96 badge as well????

4tothefloor
11/03/2005, 10:55 PM
Benitez is a unique man and a unique manager. He never complains, or uses excuses when games are lost. He has experienced the worst ever injury crises at Anfield, in his first year, yet he has never used it as an excuse. He simply analyses each game on its merits and thats it. You don't see him singling out individuals either, for praise or criticism. He's always pleasent and has a smile on his face. The man cried when he left Valencia! Like Brian Kerr, he seems to be a 'peoples choice' kind of guy. Another man who I have a lot of respect for (despite his club ;) ) is David Moyes.

Compare that to the rat Mourinho, whose self praise is getting more sickening by the day. Here is a man who has just ruined an ambition of his, the chance to manage Barcelona one day, because of his appalling, childish behaviour. He then tried to back track and play things down at the after match press conference (carling cup final anyone?). Mourinho has no dignity, while Ferguson and Wenger are not too far behind him with their public spats. Yeah, they've all had success, Benitez hasn't - yet. If you want to cringe, watch Mourinho on Sky Sports news. Tune in anytime, you can't miss him..... :rolleyes:

ciaran76
12/03/2005, 5:50 AM
Suppose you and your two work mates also cringed at the fact Rafa was wearing at justice for the 96 badge as well????

I never mentioned the badge now tell me why we would have cringed at that? We cringed at what the fans were saying if you only went and read above you would have found out. :confused:

ciaran76
12/03/2005, 5:54 AM
Benitez hasn't - yet. If you want to cringe, watch Mourinho on Sky Sports news. Tune in anytime, you can't miss him..... :rolleyes:

I was again cringing at what the fans were saying ! I agree 100% with you about that managers moaning.

I think David O Leary who is another who comes out with the same old crap every week.

4tothefloor
13/03/2005, 6:26 PM
Good old Kevin Keegan is another one, he used to come out with some great waffle

Junior
13/03/2005, 10:33 PM
Compare that to the rat Mourinho, whose self praise is getting more sickening by the day. Here is a man who has just ruined an ambition of his, the chance to manage Barcelona one day, because of his appalling, childish behaviour.

Somehow I doubt this episode would even feature in any decision to make him manager of Barca one day - Its Managerial gamesmanship, if it helps him lift the CL again, Barca would probably see it as an attribute ;)

Good old Kevin Keegan is another one, he used to come out with some great waffle

After retiring from playing, he came out with the classic "I'd like to become prime minister one day" line, heard the interview on five live recently - quality :D

KK77
14/03/2005, 9:47 AM
I never mentioned the badge now tell me why we would have cringed at that? We cringed at what the fans were saying if you only went and read above you would have found out. :confused:

So you took it literally when they said it was like Jesus walking in????? I think if you read it properly and have a think about it they meant the reaction of the fans when they saw him come in was like as if it was Jesus!!!!!!

jockser
15/03/2005, 12:46 PM
The Rafa-tollah : http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~sivann/pub...rafabenitez.wmv
:D :D :D

thejollyrodger
15/03/2005, 2:27 PM
that link doesnt work

ciaran76
16/03/2005, 7:30 AM
The Rafa-tollah : http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~sivann/pub...rafabenitez.wmv
:D :D :D

Link doesn't work for me.

jockser
16/03/2005, 10:23 AM
sorry about that lads.......they must have taken it off!.......still funny the page they replaced it with though!

Thunderblaster
16/03/2005, 11:50 PM
That is what you call a great gesture from a manager of a club that belongs to the people. He called into see the grassroots; the people that made the effort to travel. Liverpool does not carry the arrogance seen at the big clubs.