PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Televised Games

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

nigel-harps1954
24/01/2018, 3:40 PM
First game up, Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers in Dalymount on the opening night of the season. Kick-off time changed to 7:30pm.

holidaysong
24/01/2018, 7:17 PM
RTÉ or eir?

sbgawa
24/01/2018, 7:19 PM
Rte. Hopefully means rovers first home match won't be on telly. Would be nice to start the season off with a full house.

Ezeikial
24/01/2018, 8:59 PM
Rte. Hopefully means rovers first home match won't be on telly. Would be nice to start the season off with a full house.

Do you think the attempts to have a full house will include restricting the number of visiting fans again,?

sbgawa
24/01/2018, 9:06 PM
Do you think the attempts to have a full house will include restricting the number of visiting fans again,?

Yawn the season hasn't started yet
. Councils call. Next subject please.

Ezeikial
24/01/2018, 10:12 PM
Yawn the season hasn't started yet
. Councils call. Next subject please.
You raised the full house issue!

It would be amazing if the council actually worked against Rovers wishes to maximise attendance.

sbgawa
24/01/2018, 10:16 PM
Yawn.

nigel-harps1954
24/01/2018, 10:46 PM
RTÉ or eir?

Sorry, should have specified I suppose. Although, the give-away was the "kick off time changed to 7:30pm" bit.

Nesta99
25/01/2018, 2:39 PM

Dya not read the excellent Extratime.ie article on attendances? TV makes no difference whatsoever as per the stats!!

sbgawa
25/01/2018, 3:42 PM
that was a fantastic bit of work by the boys but as a regular attender of games with rovers I know it doesn't feel like that...lies damn lies and statistics etc etc.
I know casual attenders who decide to go to the pub rather than the match if it is on TV....maybe the publicity brings others .....I dunno

What I do know is the clubs should get something for each match even if it was only 5-10k

gufcfan
25/01/2018, 3:48 PM
Dya not read the excellent Extratime.ie article on attendances? TV makes no difference whatsoever as per the stats!!

The people that give out about TV are the same ones that give out about travel costs. Every euro a LOI club gets in is hard earned, but zeroing in on something that has such a negligible effect when taken in context of all the costs makes little sense. You might say, well travel costs X, but travel costs are never going to be zero. (If you disregard the potential to get a league-wide sponsorship deal) Even FD clubs that scrape by have bigger concerns than that.

nigel-harps1954
25/01/2018, 4:31 PM

Tell that to Finn Harps..

dong
25/01/2018, 9:34 PM
Anybody know how I might go about getting tickets for bohs v shams. I assume it will sell out in advance although I have walked up on the day no problem before...

placid casual
26/01/2018, 7:56 AM
Bloody football tourists....

Bohs website are selling them online. Don't say your an SRFC fan whatever you do. They'll get their trendy beards in a twist.

sbgawa
26/01/2018, 10:34 AM
Anybody know how I might go about getting tickets for bohs v shams. I assume it will sell out in advance although I have walked up on the day no problem before...

ITs sold out on their website
You could always buy a season ticket for Tallaght. Season ticket holders get first dibs on the bohs match tickets :) and you get free in to the two Sligo matches.

El-Pietro
26/01/2018, 10:52 AM
ITs sold out on their website
You could always buy a season ticket for Tallaght. Season ticket holders get first dibs on the bohs match tickets :) and you get free in to the two Sligo matches.
He could do the same with a Bohs ST and save the cost of buying the additional ticket.
Adult ST at Bohs 220.
Adult ST at Rovers 210 + 15 quid for the ticket at Bohs. Five euro saved, and in both situations he has 3 matches covered (this one plus two Sligo games). If he happens to have kids then the Rovers ticket makes more sense due to the incredible offer of 3 free Kids STs with the purchase of an adult ST.

sbgawa
26/01/2018, 11:59 AM
He could do the same with a Bohs ST and save the cost of buying the additional ticket.
Adult ST at Bohs 220.
Adult ST at Rovers 210 + 15 quid for the ticket at Bohs. Five euro saved, and in both situations he has 3 matches covered (this one plus two Sligo games). If he happens to have kids then the Rovers ticket makes more sense due to the incredible offer of 3 free Kids STs with the purchase of an adult ST.

better class of accommodation in tallaght..... :) your right though the kids season tickets was a great idea, get them young

El-Pietro
26/01/2018, 12:13 PM
better class of accommodation in tallaght..... :) your right though the kids season tickets was a great idea, get them young

Assuming he doesn't need accommodation I'd assume the Luas to Dayler costs a little less than it would to get to Tallaght from the city centre. Or alternatively hell have some decent central options.

dong
26/01/2018, 12:54 PM
Cheers lads. Much as Id love to get my hands on a couple of tickets, season tickets at Tallaght or even Dalyer wouldnt be an option.
Anyways, if anyone happens to get their hands on any surplus to their needs pm me. Ill be in Dublin that weekend and enjog this derby I have to say.

bluemovie
28/01/2018, 10:15 AM
Anyone know will there be a live game the second week? I figured Cork v Blues might be on somewhere. Full house for the champions first home game I'm sure as Cork natives love a winning team ;)

sbgawa
28/01/2018, 3:32 PM
Rovers dundalk probably

ToberonaTornado
12/02/2018, 1:11 PM
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27752318_1533686216686141_8940151614278484510_n.jp g?oh=fb08cbb28b0a12b7a22a95d4ab504868&oe=5B0ED882

EatYerGreens
12/02/2018, 2:02 PM
Good to see the Dublin-based media venturing far from the Pale for their coverage as usual.

Bohemians on TV for 2 out of the first 3 games ? Really ?!

nigel-harps1954
12/02/2018, 2:14 PM
Good to see the Dublin-based media venturing far from the Pale for their coverage as usual.

Would you rather see Limerick v Bray on TV? I'm sure that would attract a huge viewership to make it worthwhile for Eir Sport.

The same tired arguments every year around TV coverage. I'm just glad to see a game on this Friday night.

There are many worse things to complain about with the TV coverage than what teams are shown.

pineapple stu
12/02/2018, 4:34 PM
Bray on telly sounds great craic.

Imagine Tony O'Donoghue doing his pitch-side interviews.

"So Dave, 2-0 down coming up to the break, but can I ask you to comment on this press release your chairman has just sent out?"

WoodquayBoy
12/02/2018, 6:47 PM
Between RTÉ and eir, Bohs will feature in 4 of the first 6 games to be televised:
Full SSE Airtricity League TV schedule:-

16/02/2018 - Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers, 7.30pm, RTE
02/03/2018 - Cork City v Bohemians, 7.30pm, RTE
09/03/2018 - Dundalk v Cork City, 8pm, eirSport
23/03/2018 - Waterford v Shamrock Rovers, 7.30pm, RTE
13/04/2018 - Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians, 8pm, eirSport
20/04/2018 - Bohemians v Cork City, 8pm, eirSport

sbgawa
12/02/2018, 11:13 PM
I think you mean rovers and cork are on 2 and 3 times each against a random opposition club.

Eminence Grise
13/02/2018, 8:57 AM
Bray on telly sounds great craic.

Especially if those North Korean cheerleaders turn up!

osarusan
13/02/2018, 9:01 AM

First game is the biggest derby in LOI football.

Second game features last year's champions.

Third game is between the two teams expected to finish in the top 2.

No problem with any of that tbh.

Philosophizer
13/02/2018, 9:32 AM

In fairness to the TV networks, Dalymount is one of the few grounds that looks half decent on TV, by LOI standards. For a big game (like the derby or Cork, Dundalk) the Jodi would be at capacity or thereabouts and the Des Kelly carpets end will also be quite full, so on TV at least it will look like a good crowd. Also I think it's worth noting that it's one of the few grounds in the league where the camera position is at a good height and distance from the pitch, which makes it easier to watch on TV.

Good to see a match being tevelised from Waterford also, they've a fine ground down there and I think it will look well on tv, even if the running track takes away from it.

EatYerGreens
13/02/2018, 12:56 PM
Would you rather see Limerick v Bray on TV? I'm sure that would attract a huge viewership to make it worthwhile for Eir Sport.

The same tired arguments every year around TV coverage. I'm just glad to see a game on this Friday night.

There are many worse things to complain about with the TV coverage than what teams are shown.

I'd rather see Dundalk v Derry on the 20th April, for example, which is undoubtedly the stand out game that day. But instead we're getting Bohs (again).

Anyone who tries to pretend that broadcasters in Ireland don't try their damnedest to stay as close to Dublin as they can when it comes to LOI live fixtures is in denial.

EatYerGreens
13/02/2018, 12:59 PM
First game is the biggest derby in LOI football.

Second game features last year's champions.

No problem with any of that tbh.

You expect Bohs to finish in the Top 2 ?! Only in the TV appearances league ;)

WeAreRovers
13/02/2018, 1:02 PM
Anyone who tries to pretend that broadcasters in Ireland don't try their damnedest to stay as close to Dublin as they can when it comes to LOI live fixtures is in denial.

Boll*x mate.

pineapple stu
13/02/2018, 1:35 PM
He said the third game, not the fifth game.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ashgP4YMdJw/maxresdefault.jpg

osarusan
13/02/2018, 2:11 PM

We must be looking at different lists. I'm looking at the list in post 26, which is for both RTE and Eir.

Or maybe you are making some joke that I don't get.

bluemovie
13/02/2018, 3:10 PM
I think Blues v Rovers is only the third league game ever shown live from Waterford. One in 98 v Shels and 03 v Derry. A few cup games and a play-off but never league games.

EatYerGreens
13/02/2018, 3:18 PM
We must be looking at different lists. I'm looking at the list in post 26, which is for both RTE and Eir.

Or maybe you are making some joke that I don't get.

Your response was to my reply on the list shown in Post #22 :cool:

EatYerGreens
13/02/2018, 3:19 PM
Boll*x mate.

A well-argued response there "mate" :D Corr blimey guvnor, innit.

legendz
13/02/2018, 7:22 PM
Between RTÉ and eir, Bohs will feature in 4 of the first 6 games to be televised:

Bohemians must have the biggest appeal outside of the regular top 4.

legendz
13/02/2018, 7:29 PM
I'd rather see Dundalk v Derry on the 20th April, for example, which is undoubtedly the stand out game that day. But instead we're getting Bohs (again).

I'd agree with that alright. Would've thought all games involving the consistent top 4 of recent seasons would be the best for promoting the league and attracting more viewers etc.

nigel-harps1954
13/02/2018, 7:59 PM
Bohemians must have the biggest appeal outside of the regular top 4.

Bohs have the fourth highest appeal of all, if you go on attendances.

ger121
13/02/2018, 9:22 PM
We have the only appeal that matters. Sex Appeal baby!

sulywaterfordfc
14/02/2018, 6:35 AM

I don’t see why people have the issue of Bohs on tv in four games. After all they’re playing in the biggest derby in the country twice and against the champions twice. Is that not normal no?

EatYerGreens
14/02/2018, 10:41 AM
I don’t see why people have the issue of Bohs on tv in four games. After all they’re playing in the biggest derby in the country twice and against the champions twice. Is that not normal no?

The "biggest derby in the country" has increasingly less bearing on the title race these days. And doesn't draw anywhere near the biggest crowd of any LOI fixture, so is more forth than substance. And there's every chance that Cork's derbies against both Waterford and Limerick will draw bigger crowds this year.

Your point about Bohs playing the champions twice would make sense - if no-one else was playing Cork. But every team gets to play them, so the fact Bohs have their first 2 games against them aired just looks a little weird.

For a mid-table team to feature in two-thirds of the televised games is more than a bit strange. It's also in my opinion daft to televise only one home Cork game in that series - given that they're the champions, draw the biggest crowds and their ground looks and sounds good on telly. But Cork is a pain in the arse to get back to Dublin from with an outside broadcast crew late on a Friday night, so it suits Eir and RTE to toddle along to Dalyer or Tallaght instead.

sbgawa
14/02/2018, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=EatYerGreens;1951932]The "biggest derby in the country" has increasingly less bearing on the title race these days.

To be fair , we live in hope of a title race and there is always the Bohs relegation battle this year to keep it interesting :)

Dalymount will sell out (is already sold out) and the fact that the crowd is only 3400 is down to that.
There were 5200 in Tallaght for the first Bohs match last season so that is pretty decent.

Also the atmosphere at these matches tend to be hostile which makes for good TV with fans celebrating wildly and multiple flares etc...all good TV

Saying all that it is a bit bizarre , put the Dublin Derby on but Cork at home to someone else would make sense.
Still its not the biggest problem we all have

EatYerGreens
14/02/2018, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=EatYerGreens;1951932]The "biggest derby in the country" has increasingly less bearing on the title race these days.

To be fair , we live in hope of a title race and there is always the Bohs relegation battle this year to keep it interesting :)

Dalymount will sell out (is already sold out) and the fact that the crowd is only 3400 is down to that.
There were 5200 in Tallaght for the first Bohs match last season so that is pretty decent.

Also the atmosphere at these matches tend to be hostile which makes for good TV with fans celebrating wildly and multiple flares etc...all good TV

Saying all that it is a bit bizarre , put the Dublin Derby on but Cork at home to someone else would make sense.
Still its not the biggest problem we all have

I'd say it's symptomatic of one of the biggest problems Ireland has - which is that the powers that be are all based in Dublin and can't think or see beyond The Pale.

That's no way to develop a country - and helps explain why house prices are bonkers in the capital, yet only 90mins away you can pick up a mansion for less than the cost of a 2-bed flat in Dublin. Which is hardly New York City in scale to justify the disparity. And then the fcukers wonder why they need to consider closing rail lines around the island.

Broadcasters are just reflecting the same ignorant attitude that the rest of the powers that be show towards anywhere outside Dublin. An inconvenient wilderness to be avoided if at all possible :D

pineapple stu
14/02/2018, 12:15 PM
Teensy bit of a leap there from RTÉ showing Bohs a few times to the Wexford to Waterford line being closed in fairness!

sbgawa
14/02/2018, 12:42 PM
I actually have sympathy for Eir and RTE.
The viewing figures are poor for the matches, unlikely to generat any add revenue beyond a rerun of an old movie and the costs of set up and paying the staff of going outside Dublin would be considerable
You'll probably find that when the rest of us are making our way back from Cork the RTE staff are bedding down in a hotel in Cork or racking up the O.T on the way back.
If the viewership figures were better they might stomach the costs more regularly

redobit
14/02/2018, 12:57 PM
Outside Bohs and Shams fans the match doesn't have that much appeal. If anything it has become a bit of a laughing stock in LOI circles with the schoolagism side to it.

redobit
14/02/2018, 1:01 PM
I actually have sympathy for Eir and RTE.
The viewing figures are poor for the matches, unlikely to generat any add revenue beyond a rerun of an old movie and the costs of set up and paying the staff of going outside Dublin would be considerable
You'll probably find that when the rest of us are making our way back from Cork the RTE staff are bedding down in a hotel in Cork or racking up the O.T on the way back.
If the viewership figures were better they might stomach the costs more regularly

RTE have studios in Athlone, Belfast, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Sligo. Plenty or RTE staff around the country.