PDA

View Full Version : Worst ever Irish band?

Pages : [1] 2

Pauro 76
09/03/2005, 10:19 AM
plenty of posts on the best Irish band... now for the worst! My vote has to be the Cranberries.... ok Linger and Dreams were both great songs, but Zombie and Salvation, and Dolores O’Riordan’s excruciating banshee wailing seal the vote.. any other suggestions?

the 12 th man
09/03/2005, 10:24 AM
six.......... :eek:

joey B
09/03/2005, 10:26 AM
The Revs,bloody terrible :mad:

Maz
09/03/2005, 10:27 AM
six.......... :eek:

definately and bewitched!

James
09/03/2005, 10:32 AM
aslan

The Good Son
09/03/2005, 10:34 AM
U2, Something Happens, Aslan, Burning Embers so many to choose from.

Rovers Fellow!
09/03/2005, 10:38 AM
Westlife, boyzone, bewithced, OTT, any of that louise walsh muck!

Roo69
09/03/2005, 10:50 AM
U2, Something Happens, Aslan, Burning Embers so many to choose from.

:eek: stay off the drugs son..............

O.T.T would get my vote

Troy.McClure
09/03/2005, 11:29 AM
Boyzone: only 2/5 sang and even then they didnt even sing their own songs! + they had those 2 nackers floating around in the background too.

The Good Son
09/03/2005, 11:31 AM
:eek: stay off the drugs son..............

Why would you be under the impression that I'm on drugs Dad?

M@ttitude
09/03/2005, 2:27 PM
The thread is called worst Irish Band, boy bands aren't bands, they're groups.. Dont give them the satisfaction by calling them bands, they're little dancing mime artists who go out in public wearing white silky trousers and cowboy hats... :mad:

Anyway, needed to get that off my chest.. Aslan are good for a start, they may only have one album and keep renaming it but that album is ok, the worst would have to be jj72, cant stand them even though they have a big following, anyone hear a new band called Ham sandwich? Thet are definetely the worst, couldn't believe Tom Dunne named them band of the week a while back.. Tripe! :eek:

dahamsta
09/03/2005, 2:29 PM
Whoever was responsible for the Langer Song. String them up.

noby
09/03/2005, 2:36 PM
Aslan are good for a start

Two good songs a long time ago - lifetime achievement award for that? gimme a break.

The Corrs.

carrickharp
09/03/2005, 2:44 PM
Hay lay off them they are making an effort(apart from the cover version of turning Japanese which they admit was a mistake), bands like west****, and this new crap zoo who should be banned.

James
09/03/2005, 2:46 PM
The thread is called worst Irish Band, boy bands aren't bands, they're groups.. Dont give them the satisfaction by calling them bands, they're little dancing mime artists who go out in public wearing white silky trousers and cowboy hats... :mad:

was just gona post the same thing
i didnt count any of that muck for that reason too

M@ttitude
09/03/2005, 2:50 PM
Two good songs a long time ago - lifetime achievement award for that? gimme a break.
Obviously you've never heard them live? Live shows are or should be what makes a good band, people can have their own opinions on the songs but you couldn't say they're the worst band because they're live shows are pretty good. Ash a gick live for instance,.

noby
09/03/2005, 3:04 PM
No I've never seen them live.
Let me guess: for a big finale do they do a big sing-a-long of crazy world?

I saw them on the meteor awards, and 2 minutes of his stupid hand actions was enough for me

The Good Son
09/03/2005, 3:22 PM
I saw them on the meteor awards, and 2 minutes of his stupid hand actions was enough for me
A story that was going around a few years ago was Aslan were playing Nancy Spains in Cork and Dignam was standing on the edge of the stage barefoot giving it all that "stupid hand actions", when some headcase at the front of the stage bit his toe, a louder roar hasn't been heard in Nancys, I don't know how true it is but I like to believe it.

joey B
09/03/2005, 3:33 PM
Hay lay off them they are making an effort(apart from the cover version of turning Japanese which they admit was a mistake), bands like west****, and this new crap zoo who should be banned.
I just think they are really poor.

Eire06
09/03/2005, 3:40 PM

Agree with you there don't like them at all, would actually go as far as to say they are the worst band I've ever payed to see live...

Partizan
09/03/2005, 3:41 PM
My God, where do I start...
jj72, starsailor, the revs (any of that vomit inducing grunge college stuff) the corrs, any boy/girl pap from Mr Walsh

there has really been some bad/overrated groups down through the decades, but the worst I ever witnessed..........

The Partners.

the 12 th man
09/03/2005, 3:52 PM
My God, where do I start...
starsailor,

think they're english.....wigan i think.
but you're right about them being crap :D

Neish
09/03/2005, 4:26 PM
Excluding the manufactured **** which would lead to far too long a list

The Revs or Ash

KR's Post
09/03/2005, 4:31 PM
any of that louise walsh muck!
Louise walsh??? :D Who's she.... Another s-hit promoter of music..............!!!!!!!! ;)

strangeirish
09/03/2005, 4:39 PM
Big Tom and the Mainliners :o :D

Colbert Report
09/03/2005, 5:17 PM
boyzone

Maynard
09/03/2005, 5:27 PM
PictureHouse...lordy. :(

Lionel Ritchie
10/03/2005, 9:15 AM
Dance to Tipperary and their ilk who think it's "cool" and "mad" to take "Irish Trad/Folk" (and usually the lowest common denominator tunes of that genre) and stick a lowest common denominator version of four to the floor dance beats (they probably still call it "rave" though :D ) behind it.

W@nkers all!!! ... as are Picturehouse (I'd never tire of kicking that guys face in) and Aslan. Horrific pub rock nonsense.

razor
10/03/2005, 11:42 AM
The Saw Doctors, still heaping shame and embarrassment upon the nation.

drinkfeckarse
10/03/2005, 1:43 PM
Six,Sultans of Ping, Boyzone to name but a few.

Strange the Corrs are getting a few nominations, I think they're good myself.

James
10/03/2005, 1:45 PM
Sultans of Ping,
WUM
i mean labelling them with Six and bzone.. come on man

Roo69
10/03/2005, 2:09 PM
Why would you be under the impression that I'm on drugs Dad?

U2 as worst Irish Band ever would suggest that your whacked off your head imo.......son

antocurran
10/03/2005, 2:10 PM
WUM

Whipping Boy were pretty terrible! :cool:

drinkfeckarse
10/03/2005, 2:24 PM
WUM

Can someone please explain to me wtf a WUM is!??

Any band that produces something like "Where's me Jumper" deserves to be labelled with the likes of Six :o :D

noby
10/03/2005, 2:29 PM
Can someone please explain to me wtf a WUM is!??

Wind Up Merchant. Ignore all the other bands that have been named here; name a cork band, and you're obviously a "WUM" :rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
10/03/2005, 2:33 PM
As a Corkman myself I'll go against the bandwagon and say I thought they were brutal :eek:

Lionel Ritchie
10/03/2005, 4:35 PM
Six,Sultans of Ping, Boyzone to name but a few.

Strange the Corrs are getting a few nominations, I think they're good myself.

...which dovetails nicely with your thinking Sultans of Ping deserve to be named amongst the worst Irish bands. :rolleyes:

I dunno if you're a WUM but I suspect you're a glue-sniffer -and a MOR/AOR lovin' gluesniffer at that ;)

gustavo
10/03/2005, 9:42 PM
westlife. :o
corrs
d side

IsMiseSean
10/03/2005, 10:39 PM

What kind of a stupid statement is that? :confused:
The Doc's are one of Ireland's finest

gustavo
10/03/2005, 11:32 PM
saw teh saw doctors at oxegen last summer they were very good even though i had a bottle of buckie and a naggin of southern comfort drank by then they were still memorable :o

drinkfeckarse
11/03/2005, 8:08 AM
...which dovetails nicely with your thinking Sultans of Ping deserve to be named amongst the worst Irish bands. :rolleyes:

I dunno if you're a WUM but I suspect you're a glue-sniffer -and a MOR/AOR lovin' gluesniffer at that ;)

Oh yeah all those classic lyrics and songs will live long in the memory :rolleyes:

Sorry but seeing as I'm not an internet nerd, I haven't a clue what your MOR/AOR means and don't really give a shíte either to be honest :rolleyes:

Keep to the glue sniffing yourself , obviously helps to appreciate stuff like Where's me Jumper...

razor
11/03/2005, 8:27 AM
What kind of a stupid statement is that? :confused:
The Doc's are one of Ireland's finest
S'pose you Galway boys are just as touchy about your own as us Cork boys.
But in all fairness like, they are nothing more than a novelty band.

patsh
11/03/2005, 11:11 AM
Aslan with their endless regurgitating of that mediocre, tuneless piece of sh*t that constitutes their hit, or is it their entire output?
"it's all right" me boll*x......:mad:

Lionel Ritchie
11/03/2005, 11:14 AM
Sorry but seeing as I'm not an internet nerd, I haven't a clue what your MOR/AOR means and don't really give a shíte either to be honest :rolleyes:

I'm reluctant to get into a fight about music and especially classic lyrics with a self confessed Corrs fan but there's nothing internet nerdy about MOR or AOR. I'm suprised you're not well appraised with both.
MOR = M.iddle O.f the R.oad
AOR = A.dult O.rientated R.ock

Oh yeah all those classic lyrics and songs will live long in the memory :rolleyes: Keep to the glue sniffing yourself , obviously helps to appreciate stuff like Where's me Jumper...

They certainly will. ...and why is it when people bring up the Sultans the only song mentioned is the classic three chord trick that is Where's Me Jumper. Not only was it not their biggest seller (and things like unit shifting tend to matter to Corrs fans in my experience) -it wasn't even their second biggest seller. (Veronica and U Talk 2 Much both sold more/higher chart positions etc...)

two bands -the Corrs and the Sultans -one decided to plough their own furough - one decided to immitate whatever was selling on the CMTV charts. Which is which?

Eire06
11/03/2005, 11:47 AM
:eek:

With all time classics like the N17 and Joyce Country Ceili Band :eek:

They put Tuam on the map...

Best Irish band of all time :D

drinkfeckarse
11/03/2005, 12:39 PM
I'm reluctant to get into a fight about music and especially classic lyrics with a self confessed Corrs fan

Since when does "I don't think they're too bad" make me a self confessed fan :rolleyes: . I think porridge is ok too but I don't go out and buy boxes of the stuff.

Enjoy whatever you're into mate, the Sultans wouldn't be on many people's all time greats list despite what you may think. I'd say outside of Cork itself the vast majority wouldn't have even heard of them (other than hippies and university grads who thought it was all the rage at the time to be into them because they were "different" and feel some strange need now to defend them as if they're legends :D ).

But hey...each to their own as they say.....

Bluebeard
11/03/2005, 12:41 PM
How has no-one mentioned "Who's Eddie" :confused:

Picturehouse were (are?) pretty desperate too.

Going into the mists of time, there was Gina Dale Hayes And the Champions, Tweed (latterly The Whole Shebang, I believe) and Two's Company.

Pat O' Banton
11/03/2005, 12:46 PM
bewitched!

I'm failing to see why the debate needed to continue after this.

Lionel Ritchie
11/03/2005, 1:18 PM
Since when does "I don't think they're too bad" make me a self confessed fan :rolleyes: . I think porridge is ok too but I don't go out and buy boxes of the stuff..... Fair enough -my bad.

Enjoy whatever you're into mate, the Sultans wouldn't be on many people's all time greats list despite what you may think.
But this topic isn't about all time greats ...it's about worst ever. That's where I believe you're doing them a disservice ...to the benefit of some much more deserving candidates- someone just mentioned Who's Eddy for example...

I'd say outside of Cork itself the vast majority wouldn't have even heard of them (other than hippies and university grads who thought it was all the rage at the time to be into them because they were "different" and feel some strange need now to defend them as if they're legends ...Now you have me suspecting again that you're on the Glue. The band had a huge following in Ireland and Britain. They never got the "big breakthrough" -that's true. But they cracked the UK top 30 and had three top 10 singles here in Ireland -so they were hardly unknown outside Cork. They probably suffered from a "novelty act" tag which can be hard to shake -but I suspect they could've rode it out. defend them as if they're legends? No need to defend them on anything ...and yes -they ARE legends :cool:

But hey...each to their own as they say..... once again -fair enough ;)

drinkfeckarse
11/03/2005, 1:35 PM
The band had a huge following in Ireland and Britain. They never got the "big breakthrough" -that's true. But they cracked the UK top 30 and had three top 10 singles here in Ireland -so they were hardly unknown outside Cork.

A "huge" following!? :D Considering you can get into the UK top 30 and I suspect the Irish top 10 with a couple of thousand sales, now I'd hardly call that huge.

They maybe had a loyal following but I don't think you can call it a big fan base.