PDA

View Full Version : Tuesdays CL action *Scores inside*

Superhoops
08/03/2005, 8:06 PM
Woeful defending by Ferdinand for Crespo's goal. Schoolboy defender's error - ball watching, ignored the man behind him.

eirebhoy
08/03/2005, 8:47 PM
You must be a supporter of either team? How could anyone want to miss Chelsea v Barca? :)

beautifulrock
08/03/2005, 9:11 PM
What a game indeed between Chelsea and Barca, Duffer scored one and made one. But Ronaldhinos second goal was something special, maybe you might see it during a 5 a side kick around, truly world class

pete
08/03/2005, 9:15 PM
Who would watch Manchester & Milan where goals on other channel.

I just got home in time for Ronaldinho wonder goal.

Barca were allover Chelsea & will take long time for them to realise how they lost. :confused:

Geln Johnson must be the most expensive pub league quality player in the history of the game. Shows what an idiot Eriksson is that Johnson has an international cap. LMAO

Gary
08/03/2005, 9:27 PM
The telling thing tonight was that Chelseas defense wasnt a joke. Terry and Carvalho were immense. Joe Cole made a mockery of the fact he couldnt even make the first team sqaud 3 months ago. In fact the only Chelsea player who didnt stand out for the right reasons was Kezman.

On the other hand, Barcelonas defending was terrible. Duff and Terrys goals were easily cut out, but for their defenders going for a stroll. How Deco is seen as one of Europes leading players mystifies me. He is useless. Tonight he gave the ball away everytime, didnt make a single tackle, and was an all round liability. Ronaldinho on the other hand is amazing. He was everywhere, defending, attacking, passing, tackling, creating. he was at the heart of everything good Barcalona did tonight. He is a pleasure to see play football. His 2nd goal was as cheeky as it was brilliant.

Fair play to Chelsea, their team is built on a solid defense, and they have some great attacking players in Cole, Duff, Lampard and Robben once he returns.

Tonights Other Results
Lyon 7 - 2 Bremen (10 - 2 agg :eek: )
Milan 1 - 0 Man Utd (2 - 0 agg)

pete
08/03/2005, 9:38 PM
Monaco, Leverkusen & Bayern to qualify
Pays just over 8/1

Superhoops
08/03/2005, 10:25 PM

You must be a supporter of either team? How could anyone want to miss Chelsea v Barca? :)
Have you never heard of 'picture in picture'? a feature of plasma TV's where you can watch 2 progs at once. Great for footie.

Junior
09/03/2005, 8:49 AM

I did. Watched the first leg at OT on the box and it was a joy to watch, Milan in particular were superb. Didn't seem right not to see it through and watch the second leg. Was very tempted to switch at HT (after seeing the brief highlights of Chelsea / Barca) but knowing my luck there would have been no goal s at the bridge and a hatful at the San Siro :D

Superb 2nd goal by Ronaldhino, Barca missed a few sitters but fair play to John Terry who does it when it matters, very unlucky not to be a first choice in the England side.

Eire06
09/03/2005, 8:59 AM
Well I don't have a plasma TV so I was left flicking between the two channels...

Man U match was like watchin paint dry compared to the Chelsea one..

Thought Barca or Chelsea both made a lot of stupid mistakes, And with Terry's goal that was a foul on the Barca Goalie he was held back....
Very dissapointed with Man U's performance they were out classed and out played... They look the shell of a team they once were

Karlos
09/03/2005, 9:04 AM
I watched the Utd game myself too. Felt Milan completly dominated the midfield area with Kaka and Seedorf spreading the balls wide to Cafu at every opportunity and really pulling the UTD team apart and Gattuso undobtedly winning the battle. Milan's defence was exceptional and Stam gave a great performance along with Cafu and Maldini.

With the excpetion of the Giggs effort, Utd never threatened or looked like scoring.In fact never even had a shot on target. It was unlike the Manchester United of a couple of years ago. They went out with a whimper, not a fight and I've never seen that before from a Man Utd team in Europe.

With the money they have spend in the last two years they must be scracthing their head as to how they have failed to get past the first knockout game in consequtive seasons. And while Chelsea march on for the moment, you can clearly see that money doesn't ALWAYS buy success.

Junior
09/03/2005, 9:10 AM
Agree with you Karlos.

Some outstanding perfromances from Milan. Cafu again was immnese non-stop up and down that line. Kaka looked dangerous everytime he had the ball. Gattuso (despite previously plying his trade at castle greyskull) was excelllent, worked tirelessly in midfield, a real pain in the arse as far as united were concerned. The lad, Pirlo (sp?) thought he played very well also, does all the simple stuff really well - what nationality is he, Italian?

Milans keeper was rarely troubled, with a back four like that in front of him its no wonder!

Mourinho
09/03/2005, 9:19 AM
Chelski 4 de champions league, Lyon wer brilliant lastnite, Arsenal could do wit wiltord now :D Cech is by far de best keeper in europe, only buffon n maybe cassilas can come close.

NeilMcD
09/03/2005, 9:22 AM
It really wrecks my head that TV companies tell you the scores of the other games, I think RTE have the right idea. THey show one game and show highlights of another and they dont tell you the score of it.

Last night I watched Milan V Man Utd, as I felt that TV3 would not tell you the score of the Chelsea game during the match. However during half time i played Pro Evolution football as I did not want to risk it during half time. As a result come 10 o clock I was able to watch hightlights of Chelsea V Barca without knowing the score or anything about the game.

Last night I watched 2 games of football without knowing the score of either. That is the way it should be. Fair play to RTE who do this regularly. ITV are a joke, telling you the score during the match and showing goals etc.

Eire06
09/03/2005, 9:38 AM
I thought Cech was top class last night,

I would rate him as the top goalie in the premiership at the moment, he has played a major part in where chelsea are..
At a time where there is a shortage of good goalies in the premiership, with United, arsenal and Liverpool struggling with what they are stuck with...

Mourinho
09/03/2005, 9:50 AM
Agree with you Karlos.

Some outstanding perfromances from Milan. Cafu again was immnese non-stop up and down that line. Kaka looked dangerous everytime he had the ball. Gattuso (despite previously plying his trade at castle greyskull) was excelllent, worked tirelessly in midfield, a real pain in the arse as far as united were concerned. The lad, Pirlo (sp?) thought he played very well also, does all the simple stuff really well - what nationality is he, Italian?

Milans keeper was rarely troubled, with a back four like that in front of him its no wonder!

Pirlo is Italian, and has one of the best deliveries of a ball in europe, he bearly ever wastes it, iv followed his carrer since I saw him play wit Italy u-21, Inter should never have let him go.

eirebhoy
09/03/2005, 9:55 AM
Am I alone in thinking that was Duffer's worst performance in a Chelsea shirt? OK, he's not allowed run past players under Mourinho but last night he gave the ball away a few times and also gave a few free kicks away. He just didn't seem himself.

At the same time, that was Lampard's best ever performance IMO. He went in for every tackle and won most. If only he did this in every game. He used to do anything off the ball and if the opposition had the ball for long spells he was nowhere to be seen but he was a changed man last night. A bit more aggression is what he needs though. He just smiles if a player goings head to head with him.

Schumi
09/03/2005, 12:08 PM
What a fabulous game: 6 goals, 2 shots hitting the woodwork and some brilliant moves. Barcelona should have won, they were all over Chelsea for most of the game, even at 3-2 but their defence, especially their full backs , was rubbish. Where was the right back for Duff's goal??

Closed Account 2
09/03/2005, 1:12 PM
Barca's defending was shocking, giving away 3 goals in such a short space of time, and with such bad marking, each time Chelsea broke in the 1st half Barca's defenders were caught upfield or the wrong side of the pitch.

Man Utd's attack looked poor, much is made of Milan's defence and although its good theyve conceeded 17 in 27 in Serie A, so theyre not invincible. With the amount of money spent on the likes of Rooney and Van Nistleroy they really should have forced the issue a bit more. They (Man Utd) looked devoid of ideas and their players just didnt seem to fancy it, in the end Milan were the better team over the two legs by some distance, and deserved to go thru.

By the way one of Werder full backs in both games was Magnin, who could be playing for the Swiss against us at LR... he was actually one of their better players over the two legs (not that thats saying too much) but couldnt cope with pace, and like a lot of the Werder team lost all sense of positioning.

tonights games look good... if either Leverkusen or Arsenal get a goal in the 1st half those ties will be wide open, and Juve - Real Madrid and Monaco - PSV are tight ties, with only one goal being the difference. Juve - Real should be a good match, Juve have to attack and might play with 3 strikers and Real's defence is their weak point (I doubt they can rely on keeping a clean sheet); both teams might be very attacking - could make for a good game.

Stuttgart88
09/03/2005, 1:30 PM
ITV are a joke, telling you the score during the match and showing goals etc.

ITV are a joke in more than this context too. Was that Clive Tyldesly last night? What a ****. If Fereira's handball had been committed by a Barca player he'd have been screaming for a penalty. Am I being too biased the other way in thinking it was an absolute slam-dunk stonewall handball? Put it another way, if England had been denied a penno in the same circumstances, I reckon our Clive would be leading the calls for the referee's execution just like Urs Meyer.

I agree that Duffer was off his game but one goal and one assist isn't a bad haul in a game of that importance for a guy not in form. Giving the ball away is uncharacteristic of him and at times the whole side seemed incapable of holding possession for more than two passes.

Going to Arse vs Bayern tonight, thanks to a regular from this site. If Arse score first it could be quite a game.

Karlos
09/03/2005, 2:18 PM
Going to Arse vs Bayern tonight, thanks to a regular from this site. If Arse score first it could be quite a game.

Enjoy the game Stutt, hopefully we'll have something to shout about although I'm not overly confident. Think it'll be hard for the Gunners to go through but stanger things have happened and an early goal will be cruical (although i'd settle for 2 or 3 jammy last minute ones too! :) Sing up! :D

noby
09/03/2005, 2:19 PM
I don't live in plasma-land, I live in 4-channel land, so I watched Milan v M.U. In fairness to TV3, they didn't give the other score away before they showed the highlights.

As was said on tv last night, look at the players Milan had in midfield, and the strength of their bench. Compare that to man.u. If Keane or Scholes were out, you'd be down to maybe P.Neville or O'Shea. No comparison really.

M@ttitude
09/03/2005, 2:30 PM
Liverpool V Bayer Leverkusen tonite, who's the only man to have played for both clubs???

Closed Account 2
09/03/2005, 2:34 PM
Eric Meijer, the dutch bloke now in the UEFA Cup with Aaachen

Stuttgart88
09/03/2005, 2:35 PM
Funny thing is Karlos that I don't think Bayern showed any great quality in the first game. Arsenal were absolute rubbish though. I just hope Arsenal don't concede early on as that'll kill the atmosphere.

M@ttitude
09/03/2005, 2:40 PM
Eric Meijer, the dutch bloke now in the UEFA Cup with Aaachen
Cheers man.... Im king of football q's in work now.

Karlos
09/03/2005, 2:43 PM
Funny thing is Karlos that I don't think Bayern showed any great quality in the first game. Arsenal were absolute rubbish though. I just hope Arsenal don't concede early on as that'll kill the atmosphere.

Agree with ya, thought they were average enough. Hope that was them at their best as I'm 100% sure we can't play any worse than last time (mind you, Werder Bremen probably said the same before last night's game! :eek: )

C'mon you gunners!

Junior
09/03/2005, 3:49 PM
Agree with ya, thought they were average enough. Hope that was them at their best as I'm 100% sure we can't play any worse than last time (mind you, Werder Bremen probably said the same before last night's game! :eek: )

C'mon you gunners!

Arsenal need to pull off one of those rare things 'an outstanding performance in europe' :D

Good luck to ya's!!

Closed Account 2
09/03/2005, 6:34 PM
Anyone know if theyve decided where the UEFA Cup and CL Finals will be played next year ? I know its Sporting Lisbon's Stadium and Istanbul (National Stadium) this season.

pete
09/03/2005, 9:32 PM
I thought plasma was blood or something...

:confused: