Green Tribe
08/03/2005, 12:40 PM
oh-oh!! :eek:
Boll*cks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4328975.stm

Eire06
08/03/2005, 3:16 PM
on the topic....

It seems France have two injury worries too Aurelien Rougerie and Damien Traille are both out

It knida evens things out but still D'Arcy is such a blow, himself and O'Driscoll work so well together

SÓC
08/03/2005, 4:54 PM
I donno is this such bad news.

Maggs is a wonderful player, he's like an extra back row foward at times as well as an excellent centre. The two French boyos will have a fun day between Maggs running through then and O'Driscoll running around them. D'Arcy is better with the boot tho, neither O'Driscoll or Maggs are particularlly good at kicking (Rob Henderson anyone?)

niamh
08/03/2005, 4:58 PM
(Rob Henderson anyone?)

Eh. No def not.
He can be a huge weakness for Munster, though it matters not really with Christian Cullen gone.

Aberdonian Stu
08/03/2005, 4:59 PM
Eh Hendo, oh no oh no oh no!

He's not near the player he was four years ago.

Rather randomly I was watching the diabolical London Irish-Leeds game on Sunday. Bishop looks like he still has something to offer as cover out wide, defensively he's quite useful. Would still have him well down the pecking order mind.

Soko
10/03/2005, 2:37 AM
Eh. No def not.
He can be a huge weakness for Munster, though it matters not really with Christian Cullen gone.

Christian Cullen who achieved so much for Munster :rolleyes:

dahamsta
10/03/2005, 11:19 AM
Thread split, crap binned. It may have been meant in jest, but the web doesn't support emotions, and tbh only a Sun reader would find it amusing.

adam

TheJamaicanP.M.
10/03/2005, 11:41 AM
I don't think d'Arcy is as big a loss as people are making out and to be honest, I'd prefer Maggs in the centre than Horgan. Maggs is as strong as an ox and great on the crash ball. With Traille and Rougerie out, the French have been weakened somewhat. From a neutral point of view, I'm disappointed that we didn't see Yashvilli, Michalak and Elleselle play in the same backline. The French management have not helped themselves with their selections. I like the new full-back (Larrangue is it??), but he's not of the same callibre as Brusque or Poitrenaut. Therefore, I think our backline will shade it.

As for Justin Bishop, he doesn't offer enough in attack. Saw that London Irish - Leeds game at the weekend. He had a great try-saving tackle but the exiles were bereft of attacking ideas.

thejollyrodger
10/03/2005, 12:01 PM
D'arcy is a titantic blow to our chances our winning. Although Maggs in the centre is defensively solid, he doesnt have the injection of pace and run defence spliting lines through the opposition. Saturday may well be a wall battering encounter from our point of view with few players able to create chances for tries.

The bookies have lengthened our odds of winning against france and Wales. Still I think we can win but I dont think it will be pretty.

Aberdonian Stu
10/03/2005, 2:17 PM
I think you're in dreamland making a case for Maggs over Horgan. Maybe two years ago but not anymore, Shaggy offers a lot more.

Green Tribe
10/03/2005, 7:50 PM
Thread split, crap binned. It may have been meant in jest, but the web doesn't support emotions, and tbh only a Sun reader would find it amusing.

adam

fair enough :D

niamh
11/03/2005, 1:47 PM
Christian Cullen who achieved so much for Munster :rolleyes:

Not achieved but who will replace him??

Soko
11/03/2005, 4:27 PM
Not achieved but who will replace him??

Shaun Payne full back and Brian Lima/John Kelly interchangeable for the wing/centre.

Dan K
12/03/2005, 1:29 PM
Missing:

One pack. Last seen wearing green in the Lansdowne Road area a fortnight ago.

Reward for anyone who finds it in the next two minutes.

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 1:30 PM
Feck, France are winning at half-time 18-9, as usual ireland have not scored a try. i do think though that we can come back and win..... COME ON IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 1:35 PM
Missing:

One pack. Last seen wearing green in the Lansdowne Road area a fortnight ago.

Reward for anyone who finds it in the next two minutes.

ha ha , u crapping yourself too!

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 1:37 PM
handbags!!!! the english ref looks like matt le tissier!!!!!!!! baby only got a telling off! :mad:

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 2:07 PM
allel-fecking-luia

go on brian, merci michalak
:D :D :D
just one more score
please............................................

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 2:14 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Éanna
12/03/2005, 2:24 PM
thats what you get for such a poor first half :mad:

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 2:24 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

what can i say...........ireland should have won it in the second half, it was possible, but typical of the french to play $hite and still win so far, only for them to play well today.

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 2:26 PM
yup, ireland are never very good at comebacks

thejollyrodger
12/03/2005, 2:37 PM
fúck that !! that wsa our best oppurtunity for years !!! :( :( :( :(

aberharp
12/03/2005, 2:50 PM
fcuk it!! thats a major disappoinment :mad:

De Town
12/03/2005, 2:51 PM
Im sick :(

What a chance we had for the Grand Slam and we blew it :mad: Ireland made way too many mistakes and Maggs isnt good enough to play against the French backline flair.

We can still win the Championship though :)

strangeirish
12/03/2005, 2:56 PM
I think we were just happy to be there.........oh, wait a minute... ;)

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 3:01 PM
:eek: i now have a sore head, sore throat and feeling very very $hitty and disappointed. :( :mad: :mad:

thejollyrodger
12/03/2005, 4:31 PM
This team is spineless :mad:

Green Tribe
12/03/2005, 4:39 PM
i think sometimes they rely to much on o'gara's kicking to get points, they don't have a few fast guaranteed try-scorers, most of our points in games are from penalties etc. all we can hope for now is for the scots to hump the welsh tomorrow and for italy to er..hump the french next week and us hump the welsh again in cardiff next week, here's hoping............. :rolleyes: :D :D :D
we can only look forward now, not back :mad:

thejollyrodger
12/03/2005, 7:08 PM
were a one trick team. If we cant kick it long into the corners and we try mauling or scrumming against a well organised side were pathetic. I never seen a heavier scrum go backwards like that today.

Very little intelligent use of the ball by the irish players and when it came to running, there were few player who can run with the ball in hand (bar BOD). Too many knock forwards and a weak mentality when we went behind despite all the talk of being able to cope with favourite tags.

A few less fellas playing gaelic and playing soccer and rugby would help.

thecorner
12/03/2005, 9:01 PM
relax lads....its only egg-chasing

pete
13/03/2005, 12:52 PM
Very poor irish performance. South Terrace jinx again - i so hate the place.

Rugby very hard to see when at the game so i can't tell how bad ireland really were. French pack walked allover ireland. Slow ball from rucks, shockingly bad lineouts, poor midfield defense & did not deserve to be within 2 points of France near the end.

Fair dues to France as clearly the better team & must have had 15k+ supporters at the game. AT least they have a few songs or chants cos Ireland only had 2 - "Ireland" & "Fields of ..."

Aside from his try i thought O'Driscoll poor, why does he kick the ball at all??? Maggs was terrible, Murphy even bad with poor choices. Only Johnny O'Connor looked to be good enough to play.

Am i allowed to suggest O'Sullivan bottled it when it really mattered again? Team looked had no plan or at least no plan B, players played like individuals without a plan or support.

btw atmosphere was real poor, french made more noise.

Green Tribe
13/03/2005, 2:43 PM
wales are at present humping the scots 31-3 and not even half-time :eek: not helping us at all, the scots huh! :D :D :D :D

De Town
13/03/2005, 2:45 PM
wales are at present humping the scots 31-3 and not even half-time :eek: not helping us at all, the scots huh! :D :D :D
Ah yeah, Scotland are sh!te but some of the Welsh rugby is a joy to watch :(

Green Tribe
13/03/2005, 2:55 PM
Welsh are great to watch esp steven jones :D ahem, seriously they have fit fast and confident try-scorers, great to watch, ireland don't score enough tries. scotland are crap, they had a great chance to get a try b4 half-team, but nothing! jonathon davies is hilarious to listen to, esp during a wales game, commentating, his accent is so cute......

:D

Macy
14/03/2005, 8:26 AM
Am i allowed to suggest O'Sullivan bottled it when it really mattered again? Team looked had no plan or at least no plan B, players played like individuals without a plan or support.
Bit harsh - you can't do anything without solid possession, and while the scrum has always been a weak link, the lineout wasn't providing ball either. Not easy in the wind, but our lineout is supposed to be the best in the world, yet made to look ordinary by the french. Even in general play, thought the pack was poor - too many having a quiet game.

Given the lack of ball, I suppose it's a mute point whether it would've been different if Darcy or Horgan had been fit - the french wouldn't have been able to crowd O'Driscoll out of it in midfield if either had been playing - in particular Darcy.

I blame George Hamilton anyway - why they let that cóck loose on such an important game. He's bad enough for football, but I really can't stand him for rugby. Thank God for BBC - Phillip Matthews co-commentating and Woods in the studio, yer man Doyle on the touchline. If RTE persist with Hamilton, they've lost me as a rugby viewer.

joey B
14/03/2005, 9:38 AM
In all honesty the pack have under performed in the whole tournament :mad:
They have'nt gave a platform to one of the best back lines in the world.
Injuries also have'nt helped :(

Eire06
14/03/2005, 10:04 AM
Did anyone else notice that Ireland seem to be only as good as their current opponents.. :o
If a team is playing bad we play bad and if a team is playing well we play well.. seems to happen with the soccer team a lot as well :confused:

even though we have the potental to do soo much better

pete
14/03/2005, 10:11 AM
I got home & when I heard Ryl Nugent was commentating on England realised must have been George Hamilton doing the Ireland match. I'd say RTE lost a lot of viewers to the BBC solely based on sh!te commentator but ratings probably peaked at halftime as everyone switched back for RTE analysis.

Ireland 5/1 for Championship now.

I'll admit i'm not the greatest singer of out National Anthem but is really really sad that more people sing "Irelands Call" than the National Anthem at Lansdowne. Its not because of Northern Irish as I couldn't heard many northern accents around.

Eire06
14/03/2005, 10:26 AM
I'll admit i'm not the greatest singer of out National Anthem but is really really sad that more people sing "Irelands Call" than the National Anthem at Lansdowne. Its not because of Northern Irish as I couldn't heard many northern accents around.

Kids should be thought it in school, like they do in America

M@ttitude
14/03/2005, 10:41 AM
Kids should be thought it in school, like they do in America
Does anyone have a translation of the song in English? I am very patriotic person and love most things Irish but I think its a rubbish song! Its no wonder no one sings it, Not many people speak Irish, why should we sing Irish, singing jibberish that we dont even know what it means! I did learn it in school, didnt like it then still dont.

Éanna
14/03/2005, 11:13 AM
Does anyone have a translation of the song in English? I am very patriotic person and love most things Irish but I think its a rubbish song! Its no wonder no one sings it, Not many people speak Irish, why should we sing Irish, singing jibberish that we dont even know what it means! I did learn it in school, didnt like it then still dont. :rolleyes: why don't you just go and support england too while you're at it. :rolleyes:

strangeirish
14/03/2005, 11:37 AM
The Soldier’s Song

We'll sing a song, a soldier's song,
With cheering rousing chorus,
As round our blazing fires we throng,
The starry heavens o'er us;
Impatient for the coming fight,
And as we wait the morning's light,
Here in the silence of the night,
We'll chant a soldier's song.

Chorus:
Soldiers are we
whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come
from a land beyond the wave.
Sworn to be free,
No more our ancient sire land
Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
Tonight we man the gap of danger
In Erin's cause, come woe or weal
'Mid cannons' roar and rifles peal,

In valley green, on towering crag,
Our fathers fought before us,
And conquered 'neath the same old flag
That's proudly floating o'er us.
We're children of a fighting race,
That never yet has known disgrace,
And as we march, the foe to face,

Chorus

Sons of the Gael! Men of the Pale!
The long watched day is breaking;
The serried ranks of Inisfail
Shall set the Tyrant quaking.
Our camp fires now are burning low;
See in the east a silv'ry glow,
Out yonder waits the Saxon foe,
So chant a soldier's song.

Chorus

Now, go learn it :mad:

Eire06
14/03/2005, 12:24 PM
Does anyone have a translation of the song in English? I am very patriotic person and love most things Irish but I think its a rubbish song! Its no wonder no one sings it, Not many people speak Irish, why should we sing Irish, singing jibberish that we dont even know what it means! I did learn it in school, didnt like it then still dont.

Our national anthem should never be sung in English.. It is a disgrace to even want it in English.. :mad:
I think it is a great Anthem and it means a lot to most Irish people..

Its people like you that are trying to change this country into west Britan, your an absolute disgrace.. You should be proud of your tradition and Language.. Move to Britan and support England if thats your opinion your half there already :mad:

Now, go learn it

Why its english learn the proper version if your going to learn any..

here it is with line by line translation

http://www.iol.ie/~dluby/anthem.htm#Both

strangeirish
14/03/2005, 12:38 PM
Why its english learn the proper version if your going to learn any...]

Agreed!

M@ttitude
14/03/2005, 2:28 PM
Our national anthem should never be sung in English.. It is a disgrace to even want it in English.. :mad:
I think it is a great Anthem and it means a lot to most Irish people..

Its people like you that are trying to change this country into west Britan, your an absolute disgrace.. You should be proud of your tradition and Language.. Move to Britan and support England if thats your opinion your half there already :mad:

We speak English, why are you typing in English?? Nothing got to do with wanting to be from England, I was never even in England! And after reading that rebel translation I definetely wont be singing it now. I am proud of my tradition, and I wish we all spoke our native language, but we dont! Its small minded hateful people like you that wont try move forward instead of looking bitterly back to the past. You saying Im half in England already because I dont like the soldiers song? Joke! :p

Eire06
14/03/2005, 2:40 PM
We speak English, why are you typing in English?? Nothing got to do with wanting to be from England, I was never even in England! And after reading that rebel translation I definetely wont be singing it now. I am proud of my tradition, and I wish we all spoke our native language, but we dont! Its small minded hateful people like you that wont try move forward instead of looking bitterly back to the past. You saying Im half in England already because I dont like the soldiers song? Joke! :p

I speak Irish mostly, I'm typing here in English because this fourm is in English, if it was a French Forum I'd type French ect ect..

You wish we all spoke the native language - Why don't you then theres plenty of classes about for people to go to to brush up on your Irish, I reguraly go to classes, contact Conradh na Gaeilge if your that bothered/interested and I'm sure they will help find you classes near you..

I'm not small minded or hateful, yes English is the most widly used language used today in this country but should we through away Irish because of that can we not use both? The national Anthem should be sang in Irish only IMO because that is our native language and it is a song that represents our country...

If we get rid of our language whats left to identify us, what individuality do we have from the rest of the english speaking world...

And you refering to it as a rebel song, tyes it is it was written in a time when the people of this country were fighting for their freedom ( Gona start to sound like someone out of Braveheart soon).. I for one am proud of what those people did for this country and will always sing our national Anthem as Gaeilge standing proud out of respect for them :D

M@ttitude
14/03/2005, 2:44 PM
Fair point, still dont like the song.. Its boring and it stands for violence, I dont know what the french anthem means but at least it sounds good.

Eire06
14/03/2005, 2:47 PM
Fair point, still dont like the song.. Its boring and it stands for violence, I dont know what the french anthem means but at least it sounds good.

Thats you opinion wrong as it is.. ;)
What can you do, not everyone can love it :D

strangeirish
14/03/2005, 2:57 PM

Most, if not all countries national anthems are derived from their history. You are proud of your tradition, but by singing the national anthem, we are looking bitterly back to the past and have become small minded and hateful? In order to move forward, you have to understand the past. Do you wave the tri-colour at Irish games? Is that being small minded and bitter? I don't think so.

Can't help if you don't like it. You are entitled to that, but one should be more careful calling most of the nation small minded and hateful. Rant over!