PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V France

Pages : 1 [2]

Green Tribe
14/03/2005, 7:58 PM
i agree it should be taught at school from an early age, it is the only way. Otherewise a lot of people don't make the effort....... :rolleyes:

Fry
14/03/2005, 8:06 PM
I dont know what the french anthem means but at least it sounds good.
Maybe you should look at a translation of that too!

strangeirish
14/03/2005, 8:17 PM
:D :D See here (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/marseill.html) Sorry, could not help myself :D

Eire06
15/03/2005, 8:12 AM
:D :D See here (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/marseill.html) Sorry, could not help myself :D

he he well done :D

M@ttitude
15/03/2005, 8:28 AM
Thanks for that, he he eire 06! Just goes to show no wonder there is so much racism and war, if every country is singing these 'hateful and bitter songs'! You say I should be careful for saying this, do you not think people should be careful about calling someone a disgrace for an opinion. All I can say is there are more things to be proud of Ireland for more than war, how can there be peace if we are singing rebel songs?

Eire06
15/03/2005, 8:57 AM
Thanks for that, he he eire 06! Just goes to show no wonder there is so much racism and war, if every country is singing these 'hateful and bitter songs'! You say I should be careful for saying this, do you not think people should be careful about calling someone a disgrace for an opinion. All I can say is there are more things to be proud of Ireland for more than war, how can there be peace if we are singing rebel songs?

Sorry but where did I say you should be careful (Can't find it open to correction though) :confused:

Anway Its my opinion that your opinion is a disgrace and I still think it is :D ..

I do not view our National Anthem as a 'rebel' song or hateful and bitter, the situation back in 1916 when this song was sung in the GPO was very different to the situation we have in our country today, Irish people were being slaughtered and having their heritage torn away from them, being killed unless they conformed to the way the occupying country at the time acted, basically taking away our 'Irishness'.
To me the national Anthem represents us claiming back who we are, and I see it as a representation of what we are and as a mark of respect for all the people who died to give us back our language, country and heritage.

Now we are gone totally off topic .. And I'm sure this will all be moved it to rubbsh soon..

Still Disgusted and sick that Ireland lost the match roll on Wales 13 points is it doable..

Aberdonian Stu
15/03/2005, 9:58 AM
I just noticed an earlier post by Eire06. I'm a fluent speaker too but surely you know that our anthem was originally WRITTEN in English.

That's just a technical point, but back in the early post constitution days (when my ma was at school) children had to learn the entire anthem in both Irish and English so I think it's a bit harsh to say that it should never be sung in English.

It's an alright anthem, infinitely better than Phil Coulter's awful yoke Ireland's call but not a patch on the French, or Land of my Fathers, or Flower of Scotland for that matter. Admittedly the last two technically aren't anthems. I belt it out at any major event but acknowledge that musically it's flawed.

Eire06
15/03/2005, 10:40 AM
I just noticed an earlier post by Eire06. I'm a fluent speaker too but surely you know that our anthem was originally WRITTEN in English.

That's just a technical point, but back in the early post constitution days (when my ma was at school) children had to learn the entire anthem in both Irish and English so I think it's a bit harsh to say that it should never be sung in English.

It's an alright anthem, infinitely better than Phil Coulter's awful yoke Ireland's call but not a patch on the French, or Land of my Fathers, or Flower of Scotland for that matter. Admittedly the last two technically aren't anthems. I belt it out at any major event but acknowledge that musically it's flawed.

As far as I know the song was written in English and they translated it to Irish when they decided to use it for our national anthem (Just the corus is the Anthem) in 1926... :D

Both my mother and Father said they would have been beaten for even suggesting it be sang in English..

strangeirish
15/03/2005, 2:20 PM
You say I should be careful for saying this, do you not think people should be careful about calling someone a disgrace for an opinion.
My comment to you was a little 'tongue in cheek' ;) 'cause I know a guy that knows a guy................ :D

Anyhow, now that we have been leap frogged(pun intended) I hope we kick the s**t out of Wales. :D

Green Tribe
15/03/2005, 4:44 PM
after ireland, my next fav to win are .... :o wales. but i hope we give them a good humpin' have to say, their anthem, land of our fathers(in welsh i don't know) is a good one(sound wise) always liked it, but i belt out ours whenever the occasion occurs i have no problem with it as some people do. :D