PDA

View Full Version : Squad 2005

Redzer
08/03/2005, 9:11 AM
Sligo announce 30-strong squad

March 7, 2005

Sligo Rovers have announced details of their playing staff for the 2005 eircom League First Division season, with manager Sean Connor’s 10 new signings adding to the 20-strong list of players who have been retained from last season.

Connor has strengthened in all departments, with some of his notable acquisitions including goalkeeper John O’Hara from the United States college circuit, defenders Kupono Low and Ryan O’Donnell from Syracuse and Kildare County respectively, midfielders Faz Kuduzovic (formerly of Notts County) and Conor O’Grady (Derry City) and Bolivian striker Carlos Alvarez.

The Sligo manager’s most recent signing is former Northern Ireland under-21 international, who has plenty of English league experience from his time at Port Vale and Bristol Rovers, and most recently turned out for Forest Green Rovers.

Of his latest addition, Connor said: “I am delighted that we secured Liam’s signature before the transfer deadline. He’s a solid player with tons of experience in the Football League and he’ll be getting his first run out on Wednesday night against Coleraine.

"Overall, I’m happy with the squad that I now have. It’s a lot stronger than when I came here and I’m confident that we’re going in the right direction.”

Sligo Rovers 2005 squad (new arrivals in italics:

Goalkeepers: Alvin Rouse, Kenneth O’Malley, John O’Hara (George Mason University)

Defenders: Philip Gallagher, Gerry Carr, Sean Kelly, Barry O’Dwyer, Sean Purcell, Kevin Lowe, Michael McNamara, Jim Sheridan, Kupono Low (Syracuse Salty Dogs) , Liam Byrnes (Forest Green Rovers), Ryan O’Donnell (Kildare County), Jelmard Kusten (Limerick FC)

Midfielders: Gareth Gorman, Gary Curran, Rafael Cretaro, Stephen O’Donnell, Jason McCartney, Steve Feeney, Christopher Kelly, Faz Kudozovic (Notts County)Conor O’Grady (Derry City)Brian Tosh

Strikers Ciaran Foley, Alan Flynn, Carlos Alverez (Lousiana)Sean Flannery (Galway United), Paul McTiernan (not currently available).

gustavo
08/03/2005, 11:55 AM
based on that my team for the game against kildare would be .

gk rouse
rb gallagher
lb kulsten
cb mcnamara
cb r o donnell
lm low
rm cretaro
cm kudozivic
cm o grady
cf flannery
cf s o donnell

subs
o malley
o dwyer
byrnes
curran
alvarez

showgies
08/03/2005, 4:05 PM
rouse
mulligan
mcnamara
a nother (possibly byrnes or odwyer)
low (kelly)

odonnell
ogrady
faz
mccartney (low)

cretaro
foley

1 9 2 8
08/03/2005, 8:14 PM
I'd start with Alvarez and O'Donnell up front. I think Alvarez needs more time to adjust to Irish football

gustavo
08/03/2005, 9:48 PM
well fair enough i was only going on the team i would play though , not the team i think sean will play probably was a bit harsh on mccartney though and i agree he is one for the future. surpised no one wanted sean flannery anywhere near their team though ..

franco
09/03/2005, 5:00 AM
is john o'hara the solution to the rovers main area of problems, a reliable goalkeeper?

Redzer
09/03/2005, 9:31 AM
is john o'hara the solution to the rovers main area of problems, a reliable goalkeeper?
I dont agree with you that the goalkeeper is our main problem.Granted we have been conceding goals for fun since we were relegated.But the majority of goals conceded has been our defensive play as a whole. Do you have any info on John O'Hara? He looks strong enough, but only time will tell if he can command his area.

SligoRoversfan
09/03/2005, 7:42 PM
Paul McTiernan (not currently available).

hmmm........ :confused:

Martinho II
10/03/2005, 10:13 AM
I dont agree with you that the goalkeeper is our main problem.Granted we have been conceding goals for fun since we were relegated.But the majority of goals conceded has been our defensive play as a whole. Do you have any info on John O'Hara? He looks strong enough, but only time will tell if he can command his area.

i have an old shels programme from 1999/00 season and john o hara was the reserve goalie for shels at that time! he is from near foxford!

franco
16/03/2005, 4:31 AM
John O'Hara should defo start for sligo rovers. I have played college soccer against john in the states for the past two years and he has been one of the best keepers week in week out. He played for George Mason University in Virginia, not one of the top soccer colleges, but he has proven himself against some of the top colleges every year. He was one of five keepers picked for the mls combine 2005. fifty players are picked every year out of over 300 division 1 colleges to play in front of mls coaches. He should have made the draft only for each team in America can only have three foreign players. He will prove himself during the season, and go on to better things

gustavo
16/03/2005, 7:01 AM
good to know the players family are logging on here sometimes:)