PDA

View Full Version : eircom League prize fund details

Slash/ED
07/03/2005, 7:42 PM
On fai.ie here (http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=261166&Title=Huge+increase+in+eircom+League+prize+fund&lid=Main+News&sub=Huge+increase+in+eircom+League+prize+fund&navlid=&sublid=)

An 82,000 increase for the champions on last year is some going, you can't argue with an improvement like that espically when it doesn't even count televised matches which is worth another 95,000 spread over whoever gets shown. Seems odd though that third in the first division get more than seventh and down in the premier. Is there any change for the FAI cup winners and how much did they earn before?

pete
07/03/2005, 9:17 PM
Makes a change to at least have all the prize money listed in advance. Good that decent difference between 1st & 2nd in premier.

Stupid to have 3rd in premier to be same as 1st place in 1st division. Why are 8th to 12th in Premier the same?

Mr A
07/03/2005, 9:57 PM
I don't think it's stupid at all- the first gets bugger all coverage, sponsorship or respect, why deny the teams decent prize money as well? The first division may have poorer standards, but its in no ones interests that the gap widens and there are some well run clubs in it that deserve their slice of the cake.

Fair play to whoever decided the whole league deserves rewards and incentives, not just the premier teams.

pineapple stu
07/03/2005, 10:08 PM
That's changed from when it was last posted - much better now too; much more even spread. All clubs should benefit from the extra money, not just the top few.

Poor Student
07/03/2005, 10:19 PM
I like it. It really rewards the champion for not finishing second. As far as I know in the EPL the winner gets £10m and the runner up gets £9.5m dropping down in £500k increments with place until 20th gets £500k. The First Division prize money and the lack of difference between lower places will prevent a chasm from opening between bottom of Premier and top of Div 1, though you could argue the higher prizings for the Prem do the opposite but I feel you must really reward the champion.

Ronnie
08/03/2005, 8:35 AM
Huge reward now for winning the league - €100k prizemoney, €100k for getting to Champions League and €30 for Setanta Cup. Thats massive, almost 20% of the budget for Shels, Drogs or Cork.

Troy.McClure
08/03/2005, 11:16 AM
I think its too biast to the PL Champions, having €80k for 1st and €60k for 2nd is still a substantial gap between teams in eL terms but not gigantic. A gap of €55k between the top two is massive and €75k between 1 and 3 is rediculous. Clubs will gamble more for the big bucks now and some clubs (def Shels) will end up pulling away the same way Man U and Chelsea have in England.

It would also make more sense for a club like Bray and UCD to just yoyo between the divisions to get that first division money. I could rant about this for ages but Im just not going to bother, its just cr@p :(

Éanna
08/03/2005, 12:14 PM
looks good to me. I'd like to have seen it spread a bit more evenly, especially as the top teams are more likely to get TV money from live games as well. Still, the idea of getting their hands on that cash might spur more clubs into trying to sort themselves out and stop just existing

pineapple stu
08/03/2005, 12:40 PM
It would also make more sense for a club like Bray and UCD to just yoyo between the divisions to get that first division money. I could rant about this for ages but Im just not going to bother, its just cr@p :(
That's nonsense. OK, we'd get E20k extra prize money IF we win the First, but what will we lose from lower gate receipts? From almost diminished potential for live games? From lack of exposure? You obviously have no idea how much of a graveyard the First Division is - fair dues to the FAI for including them with a decent package in this.

Troy.McClure
08/03/2005, 3:05 PM
IF we win the First, but what will we lose from lower gate receipts?

But UCD dont have fans to get gate recepts :confused: ;)

pineapple stu
08/03/2005, 3:07 PM
Sure isn't that my point exactly?! ;)

I take it from your reply that you are completely laying down your argument in front of my superior logic?!

Troy.McClure
08/03/2005, 8:05 PM
No Ive got exams to study for and couldnt be bothered going into it in detail! ;)

In a nutshel, slightly less for PL champions and slightly more for mid to lower PL teams. Good for the first div teams that they get their money but no way should the team who finishes 3rd in a 12 team 1st division get more than the team that finishes 7th in the Premier!

pete
08/03/2005, 9:12 PM
Mid to top Premier teams are trying to maintain fulltime pro squads whereas thats never going to happen in the 1st division.

CuanaD
06/04/2005, 7:07 AM
Huge reward now for winning the league - €100k prizemoney, €100k for getting to Champions League and €30 for Setanta Cup. Thats massive, almost 20% of the budget for Shels, Drogs or Cork.

& that e30 becomes e150 if you win the Setanta!

Anyone know what the prizemoney is for the FAI Cup? - this hasn't been mentioned at all - I wonder are they working on a new prizefund for it too?