PDA

View Full Version : Burnley Irish and Opposition Irish

tricky_colour
09/12/2017, 3:29 PM
Burnley normally field 3 Irish, Ward, Hendrick and Brady, Brady out due to injury but Sean Dyche keeps the number at 3 by starting Kevin Long.

Currently 1-0 up hosting Watford, Hendrick subbed on 59, Watford down to 10 men.

45 mins

GOAL - Burnley 1-0 WatfordScott Arfield

It's all going wrong for Watford. Johann Gudmundsson, down the right, has space to cross low, and Jeff Hendrick's dummy throws the visting defenders to allow Scott Arfield to sidestep into space and roll a shot across Heurelho Gomes and into the corner of the net.

pineapple stu
09/12/2017, 3:40 PM
Burnley play in Glasgow now?

tricky_colour
10/12/2017, 12:34 AM
It is called alliteration, or at least it was, lol.

pineapple stu
10/12/2017, 8:38 AM
Why not "Burnley browns burn Batford" so? Makes as much sense.

Kevin Long must surely be looking for a move at the end of the season? 26 league games in 9 seasons is daft stuff.

Dunners
10/12/2017, 7:26 PM
Was at the game Kevin Long was man of the match for me , marked Deeney out the game for the most of it , not many can say that

rumours are are that Evens will move to City in Jan and West Brom will come in for Ben Mee,, so Long should get move game time post Xmas , unless Dyche signs someone else as first choice then it’s definitely time to move on.

tetsujin1979
10/12/2017, 8:29 PM
Can't see Burnley selling a defender with Lowton injured at the moment

Closed Account
26/07/2018, 5:53 PM
Open their Europa League campaign tonight against Aberdeen, plenty of Irish on display

Aberdeen
Starting: Tommie Hoban
Sub: Stephen Gleeson, Christoper Forrester

Burnley
Starting: Stephen Ward, Jeff Hendrick
Sub: Keving Long, Jonathan Walters

samhaydenjr
26/07/2018, 9:32 PM
Open their Europa League campaign tonight against Aberdeen, plenty of Irish on display

Aberdeen
Starting: Tommie Hoban
Sub: Stephen Gleeson, Christoper Forrester

Burnley
Starting: Stephen Ward, Jeff Hendrick
Sub: Keving Long, Jonathan Walters

1-1 draw - Gleeson came on as a second-half sub - disappointed not to see Jimmy Dunne in Burnley's squad as he has been featuring regularly in their pre-season: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44938522

IsMiseSean
27/07/2018, 12:32 PM
What's the story with Brady's injury, will he be back playing anytime soon?

DeLorean
27/07/2018, 12:35 PM
What's the story with Brady's injury, will he be back playing anytime soon?

He can't be too far away. This is from a couple of weeks ago - http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16350878.steven-defour-suffers-calf-injury-but-robbie-brady-makes-progress/

Fellow long-term injury victim Robbie Brady has completed his first full session in Cork as he looks to return to full fitness following a serious knee injury picked up in December.

Sean Dyche - "Robbie is just easing his way back into the football side of things, he’s had his first football session with the players this week.

He did two thirds of the work (on gaffer's day on Wednesday) which is a really tough day, that was by design, not because he’s had any injury problems, to make sure we’re building him up appropriately. He’s looking good at the moment."

DeLorean
03/08/2018, 1:15 PM
Burnley seem intent on signing Ben Gibson from Middlesbrough, having made an improved bid of £13m. Kevin Long is likely to be pushed further down the pecking order as a result.

I see Hendrick didn't start last night either, Dyche seems to have lost a bit of faith in him.

Cathalsmart
03/08/2018, 1:40 PM
Burnley seem intent on signing Ben Gibson from Middlesbrough, having made an improved bid of £13m. Kevin Long is likely to be pushed further down the pecking order as a result.

I see Hendrick didn't start last night either, Dyche seems to have lost a bit of faith in him.

Kevin Long played a good part in Burnley's campaign last season even if only on the bench, would imagine it wont be as easy as walking through the door for Gibson to get involved.

Hendrick started the first leg so am wondering if Burnley were also sort of using this as part of their pre season.

DeLorean
03/08/2018, 2:23 PM
I think he'll be ahead of Long in the pecking order straight away, performances will obviously dictate whether it stays that way.

Hendrick became less of a guaranteed starter towards the tail end of last season, I basing it on that mostly.

Cathalsmart
03/08/2018, 2:39 PM
I think he'll be ahead of Long in the pecking order straight away, performances will obviously dictate whether it stays that way.

Hendrick became less of a guaranteed starter towards the tail end of last season, I basing it on that mostly.

Based on? Played no part in Burnley's pre season and Long has captained Burnley at some point if my memory serves me correctly. Wouldnt surprise me if he is ahead of Long in the not to distant future but to think he will just walk in ahead of Long at this point I just cant see.

Hendrick is 50/50 at the minute but wouldnt say Dyche has lost faith in him, his bad Irish form appeared to seep into his burnley performance's and as expected he eventually was dropped.

DeLorean
03/08/2018, 2:58 PM
Based on? Played no part in Burnley's pre season and Long has captained Burnley at some point if my memory serves me correctly. Wouldnt surprise me if he is ahead of Long in the not to distant future but to think he will just walk in ahead of Long at this point I just cant see.

Fair enough. I think if they pay £13m for a centre back he's not going to be viewed as fourth choice. Hopefully you're right though. I know £13m isn't what it once was but it's still a significant fee for Burnley to pay, if the transfer goes ahead.

Hendrick is 50/50 at the minute but wouldnt say Dyche has lost faith in him, his bad Irish form appeared to seep into his burnley performance's and as expected he eventually was dropped.

I said he's lost "a bit of faith in him". He was pretty much a guaranteed starter at one stage, now he's 50/50 (if that) as you say yourself.

CraftyToePoke
03/08/2018, 3:49 PM
Fair enough. I think if they pay £13m for a centre back he's not going to be viewed as fourth choice. Hopefully you're right though. I know £13m isn't what it once was but it's still a significant fee for Burnley to pay, if the transfer goes ahead

Think Burnely have only gone over 10Million four times, to bring players in, so if they drop 13million on a CB its a safe enough assumption the answer to that position isn't already at the club in Dyches opinion. Unless maybe someone is moving on and this is a replacement signing, Longs hill to the first eleven will be steeper I'd agree.

Cathalsmart
03/08/2018, 3:57 PM
Fair enough. I think if they pay £13m for a centre back he's not going to be viewed as fourth choice. Hopefully you're right though. I know £13m isn't what it once was but it's still a significant fee for Burnley to pay, if the transfer goes ahead.

I said he's lost "a bit of faith in him". He was pretty much a guaranteed starter at one stage, now he's 50/50 (if that) as you say yourself.

Im not saying he will end as 4th choice, just saying he wont walk in and take Long's place, he will have to work for it, after 5-10 games he may overtake him who knows.

Yeah thats true, the key thing is out side of Cork & Defour their are spots in the midfield up for grabs, Hendrick form just hasnt been good enough and once Burnley's form started to dip he got dropped when his performances have been much more noticable, atm he is a bench player but can definetly see him getting back involved if he cant find some form.

Cathalsmart
03/08/2018, 4:01 PM
Think Burnely have only gone over 10Million four times, to bring players in, so if they drop 13million on a CB its a safe enough assumption the answer to that position isn't already at the club in Dyches opinion. Unless maybe someone is moving on and this is a replacement signing, Longs hill to the first eleven will be steeper I'd agree.

Well they have been playing Dunne ( an Ireland u21 player) as their current 4th choice CB, that isnt enough depth at all for 38 matches in the PL especially for a team that plays alot of the game's they play without the ball and rely on their organisation to get through, signing another CB was mandatory.

Has to be said this is a Burnley side that came 7th last season with that they need to spend money to try retain the position. Like ive said before I think Long will have his chance to keep his place but if Gibson gets his chance and outshines Long it wont surprise me at all if Long drops to 4th.

Olé Olé
03/08/2018, 4:01 PM

On the face of it, and unless Tarkowski is being picked up by a bigger club, I would say Gibson is being signed to replace Mee in the side. As you say, the outlay suggests he's buying a starter. Mee has been consistently ahead of Long so if Mee and Tarkowski remain at the club and Gibson is signed then it's clear that Long is knocked down to 4th choice centre half.

Olé Olé
03/08/2018, 4:02 PM
Well they have been playing Dunne ( an Ireland u21 player) as their current 4th choice CB, that isnt enough depth at all for 38 matches in the PL especially for a team that plays alot of the game's they play without the ball and rely on their organisation to get through, signing another CB was mandatory.

Has to be said this is a Burnley side that came 7th last season with that they need to spend money to try retain the position. Like ive said before I think Long will have his chance to keep his place but if Gibson gets his chance and outshines Long it wont surprise me at all if Long drops to 4th.

Keep what place? Long hasn't started if Mee and Tarkowski are both fit, regardless of the weight you're allocating to pre-season.

Cathalsmart
03/08/2018, 7:37 PM
Keep what place? Long hasn't started if Mee and Tarkowski are both fit, regardless of the weight you're allocating to pre-season.

Keep his place as third place is what I mean to say, obviously he isn’t a starter when all are fit but when injury struck last season he came in and did a very good job, looking at all that and the fact that Long has been named as captain during games in pre season would suggest to me that Dyche does still very much rate him, not enough to get ahead of Mee or Tarkovski (how ever you say his name) but enough to potentially keeping him clear of someone like Gibson, now if it was signing another premiership CB for similar money (arguments sake someone like Keane) than fair enough but I think with the job Long did last season plus Gibson coming in having been a championship player would make me think Dyche for now will keep Long as third choice for now but long run not so sure.

zero
06/08/2018, 1:57 PM
Burnley have a tough couple of ties in the Europa league. Next up it's Istanbul Basakskehir (an improving side who almost won their league both last season and the one before) and if they get through that one of Olympiakos or Lucern.

If they do make the group phase I'd expect to see Long play a significant number of games this season, even if he's 4th choice centre half.

Cathalsmart
06/08/2018, 10:18 PM
How about they actually get a third choice and see how he plays before we start denmoting Long to 4th...

tetsujin1979
06/08/2018, 11:38 PM
How about they actually get a third choice and see how he plays before we start denmoting Long to 4th...
Gibson was signed yesterday

DeLorean
13/08/2018, 10:43 AM
Kevin Long wasn't included in the Burnley squad yesterday, I don't think it was injury related? Ben Gibson was on the bench. Still too soon to demote him to fourth choice? Hopefully.

Hendrick started (and was substituted) at least, as did Ward.

Shane Long not in the Southampton squad either, injured? The signing of Danny Ings is not so good for him either.

tetsujin1979
13/08/2018, 11:46 AM
Possibly rested ahead of the European game this week

Diggs246
13/08/2018, 11:55 AM
I have to say from what Ive seen of Kevin Long I think he is an excellent player. His problem is that Burnleys other center halves are also excellent. If I was him I would look for a transfer in January to another premier league team, that is having problems at the back. ( there should be a few by January) also I think he would be relatively cheap.

Olé Olé
13/08/2018, 1:10 PM
Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action
Mentions for Ward and Hendrick under number 8:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/13/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

I agree regarding Long. I like the look of him whenever I see him. The question is, where would he go? There appears to be a very fine line between a Championship and Premiership centre half. We have seen players like Shane Duffy, Alfie Mawson, Harry Maguire, Mee and Tarkowski move between the leagues quite seamlessly. Dan Burns has played in the PL before and was in League One last season with Wigan and did enough for Brighton to sign him before loaning him back again for this season as Wigan feature in the Championship. It's very hard to know where Long would end up if he left Burnley.

Diggs246
13/08/2018, 2:03 PM
Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action
Mentions for Ward and Hendrick under number 8:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/13/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

I agree regarding Long. I like the look of him whenever I see him. The question is, where would he go? There appears to be a very fine line between a Championship and Premiership centre half. We have seen players like Shane Duffy, Alfie Mawson, Harry Maguire, Mee and Tarkowski move between the leagues quite seamlessly. Dan Burns has played in the PL before and was in League One last season with Wigan and did enough for Brighton to sign him before loaning him back again for this season as Wigan feature in the Championship. It's very hard to know where Long would end up if he left Burnley.

If I was his agent I would target clubs that have conceded unnecessary goals from set pieces and poor positional play down the middle. ( the January transfer market is where clubs panic)

Closed Account
13/08/2018, 3:45 PM
Derby would be a good move, Lampard has a great chance of taking them up in the long term, despite last weekends result, and Keogh needs a change of scenery.

Diggs246
13/08/2018, 3:56 PM
Derby would be a good move, Lampard has a great chance of taking them up in the long term, despite last weekends result, and Keogh needs a change of scenery.

I thnk he should be more ambitious then that to be honest. Derby have 3 luckily points and a lose already. I would be surprised if he gets them up at all

DeLorean
17/08/2018, 8:09 AM
Long and Gibson actually started together last night. Both were booked as Burnley won 1-0 in extra time against Istanbul Basaksehir. Hendrick started and provided a tidy assist for a Jack Cork cracker (corker?) to win it. Needless to say, the indispensable Stephen Ward play the full 120 minutes and was also booked.

Burnley have a tough tie against Olympiakos to make the group stage.

Diggs246
18/08/2018, 12:09 PM
Player ratings after Burnleys European tie. Long 8. Ward 7. Jeff 6

Olé Olé
21/08/2018, 8:09 PM
Having featured in pre-season with Burnley and having appeared to have been a target for Accrington Stanley again, Jimmy Dunne has signed on loan for Hearts for the season. Solid move and I reckon it provides ample opportunity for him to impress. Nice Irish contingent in Edinburgh with Aidan Keena, Jake Mulraney and Daryl Horgan across the far side of the City from them.

Edit: I forgot to mention Colin Doyle and forgot to leave this link: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0821/986614-dunne-joins-hearts-on-loan-following-new-burnley-deal/

samhaydenjr
21/08/2018, 11:56 PM
Having featured in pre-season with Burnley and having appeared to have been a target for Accrington Stanley again, Jimmy Dunne has signed on loan for Hearts for the season. Solid move and I reckon it provides ample opportunity for him to impress. Nice Irish contingent in Edinburgh with Aidan Keena, Jake Mulraney and Daryl Horgan across the far side of the City from them.

Edit: I forgot to mention Colin Doyle and forgot to leave this link: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0821/986614-dunne-joins-hearts-on-loan-following-new-burnley-deal/

So it's "Move aside you Bhoys, Come on you Jambos" for all proper Irish football fans ;)

Diggs246
24/08/2018, 8:24 AM
Even though they were beaten Long still played well

Kevin Long 7

Best defender. Won numerous headers in the box and made one fantastic last-ditch tackle on Podence in the second half

Olé Olé
12/07/2020, 1:20 PM
Kevin Long has played 90 minutes in Burnley's last 3 games, including a very good game against Liverpool in a draw yesterday. They have conceded just twice in the 3 games.

Amazing to think that Long will be 30 in a few weeks. Due to the preference for Mee and Tarkowski at Burnley, his career has largely been like that of a second choice goalkeeper- doesn't appear much in the league all season but is quite reliable and does a job when he comes in so that manager is very happy to have him.

I'm sure he pushes himself to be in the team and is ambitious. But the years have slipped by on him. It would have been and still would be a risk to leave Burnley given the position they are in- where would he go and how would he fare playing week in and week out for a full season.

It's a very interesting career he has had so far.