PDA

View Full Version : Buying the club

Citymark
08/02/2002, 9:49 AM
The past few weeks have seen a lot of debate about the current board and owners of the club, and the fact that they don't seem to want to invest in the club.

So my question is, how much do you think it would be needed for a consortium/supporters to buy out the club?

Do you think it is fesabile?

How much should be offered?

Gary
08/02/2002, 10:15 AM
Ahh the topic of many a nights hard drinking. What we decided is that the club have very few actuial tangible assets, so it would not be that expensive. (now i see Joe yawning at this one :D ), But Bournmouth AFC supporters club bought out the club a number of years ago, when the club was in severe financial turmoil, and while things may not have gotten better on the pitch, they certainly improved off of it. Point is, its not impossible to buy out a club, but with only ordinary Joe Soaps like ourselves, we would not be able to sustain the running of the club. Great if we could but its a bit of a dream Id imagine.

mouldymurphy
08/02/2002, 10:16 AM
ill chip in i promise to give€10 :D :D

vlad
08/02/2002, 10:20 AM
that should be able to buy you half the squad if you go by their market value!

mouldymurphy
08/02/2002, 10:39 AM
half ! i was going for the full squad and half the under21s

SÓC
08/02/2002, 11:09 AM
The fans own a significant percentage of Dundalk, Galway have a member on the Board. I dont see why City could not do the same, riase money for the club and more importantly give us a say in the running of the club.

A face
08/02/2002, 11:57 AM
That will never happen, Some City supporters are not organized, and couldn't get it together if they tried. The olde p iss up and brewery thing if you know what i mean. Half the people on here at a rough guess are afraid of joining the supporters club for fear of some piped up conspiracy and some other mumbo jumbo that they come up with, and you expect them to try and buy out the club. You must be joking.
(thats a bit rich coming from me seeing as i have missed the last few meetings, but i had college on Tuesdays so i couldn't go)
Collectively is the only way anything will happen and when people say "Oh it'll never happen" and give up after the first thought, it wont go anywhere. If supporters were to get a place on the board then it would be great, probably the best thing ever to happen to a club in Cork.

Neil
08/02/2002, 12:05 PM
Good points Face.

There are loads of people who post here with all sorts of ideas (banners, UCC/City supporters club, away trips, atmosphere, confetti etc.) but when it comes down to it just couldn't be bothered making the effort. If people can't even go along to a SC meeting for an hour on a Tuesday night, what chance is there of anything changing.

A face
08/02/2002, 1:04 PM
Is that they still, without any question will scream abuse at the players and board and fellow fans when they see fit, fans getting shouted down when they try to start anything. Dont get me wrong i give abuse sometimes as well, but it is when we dont get any acknowledgement from the players when we travel half the country or europe to see them lose, or i go to an U-21's game to see O'Flynn playing his socks off and never getting to the first team, our when you try and pitch in to help out and then fans would never been consulted or even just told of something like the leicester link. thats what pis ses me off ..... i know that doesn't give me licence to abuse anyone but at least i try and do something about it, in fact i'd love to do more. Some people IMO just dont think.

pete
08/02/2002, 1:09 PM
btw whats the membership total for the SC at the moment?

Eventhough i'm based in dublin i promise to join before start of next season. ;)

dalo
08/02/2002, 1:21 PM
Originally posted by A face
Is that they still, without any question will scream abuse at the players and board and fellow fans when they see fit, fans getting shouted down when they try to start anything. Dont get me wrong i give abuse sometimes as well, but it is when we dont get any acknowledgement from the players when we travel half the country or europe to see them lose.

Surely though people who pay there money's worth to go to games are just as entitled to give their opinion as the supporters club. i was in the supporters club years ago and i didn't see the point of wasting my time there after a year. some of the people there were a bit odd to say the least

most people go to games as a relief from the very real pressures of work and home (a lot of which the members of the supporters club wouldn't have a clue about). it isn't a big political thing for a lot of supporters.

furthermore what makes the supporters club think they could run the club any better. aren't the club directors- supporters as well?

Troy.McClure
08/02/2002, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by Citymark
...the current board and owners of the club, and the fact that they don't seem to want to invest in the club.

It seams to have passed everybody buy that we actually DO have a new chairman. Im sure that he does have an interest in the club, otherwise why would he put his money into it? He has been involved in LOI for many years (all be it with the Evil Enemy) so he shouldnt be just another "merchant". I think that we will see changes in the summer break, that is if changes will be made. The chairman IS the club (off the pitch) and he is relatively new to it, so lets see what happens during the summer.

patsh
08/02/2002, 2:09 PM
Must you be in the supporters club to be a real fan of the club?
If you are not a wealthy person who wants to invest, there are
some things you can do if you want to have a say in a club:
1. A good plan for raising money .
or
2. Take on some of the financial burden of running the club .
For instance =>Would the SC try to raise enough money to pay two players wages? Say come up with €1000 pw > 100 fans @ €10, or 200 fans @ €5 per week. (500 pw being a fairish wage.)

As someone who is critical of the board himself, it must be acknowledged that they are the people in charge, and it would be better to work with them, rather than against them. For instance other things which could be done:
Does the SC ask director's to meetings?
Does the SC try to promote fund raising/other ideas with the director's?
Has the SC asked the director's how they can help they club?

Has the SC properly organised themselves? i.e. get across to other CC fans that by joining the SC, they can help the club?

Just some idea's............... :o

dalo
08/02/2002, 2:17 PM
exactly the sc club members preach all the time on this site about the borad and the club and so on but what do they do to promote the sc to prospective new members?

the sc constantly criticise the actions of everyone else but are they are above criticism? i don't think so yet they never look at themselves and constantly come across as being a bunch of reactionaries to everyone else. i know for afact dave barry thought they were a bit of a joke during the whole leicester thing. in fact they are pretty invisible to the majority of supporters most of the time.

look at yourselves first lads

Gary
08/02/2002, 2:34 PM
Losing the run of yourselves there a bit I'd say fellas. Now I am not a member of the SC, simply because I don't want to be. I know alot of people who are though, and Ive yet to hear them preach about anything. And the SC DO fund raise. AFAIK its the SC who looks after the lotto, table quizzes etc. Yes, the SC asks directors/players/ managers to meetings - doesnt meran they have to show up does it. the SC sponsor a player every season.

As for dalos comment on the new chairman. well fair enough, BUT what has he done any different from Dunne before him? What radical changes have you seen?

dalo
08/02/2002, 2:41 PM
all good points gwa. i am not there to defend a chariman but are we really in a viable position to inrtoduce radical changes. we are probably not in finiancial terms able to do it. at the moment all the chairman can do is keep the club afloat that is always their first priority

btw what does AFAIK stand for? :p

Neil
08/02/2002, 2:48 PM
Originally posted by dalo
what does AFAIK stand for? :p
as far as I know... AFAIK.

patsh
08/02/2002, 2:48 PM
I'm not criticising the SC. I'm just trying to find out about it, and my point is that while you may be or want to be a member of the SC, you can still be a good supporter of the club.
It's great that the SC run the lotto and other stuff,
but for instance, in all the matches I go to, no one ever has ever asked me if I want to contribute time or money to the club. I bring my son to all the home games, and pay an adult price for him as it is the only way so far that I have been able to give the club a bit extra. Surely the time to get to people who may be happy to get involved is at matches? How about the SC having a table where people can talk to members and find out how they can help or join? If only one or two extra people per game can be brought in to help, it will eventually make a big difference... :)

Neil
08/02/2002, 2:53 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
How about the SC having a table where people can talk to members and find out how they can help or join? If only one or two extra people per game can be brought in to help, it will eventually make a big difference... :)
The SC run the Lotto and AFAIK they have a table inside the turnstiles on matchday. Any one of the lads would be glad to talk to you about it..

Peadar
08/02/2002, 4:05 PM
You could buy the whole lot for under €1,000,000
I've already enquired as I've a few million spare.
Unfortunately the board wouldn't accept offers in Turkish Lira :D

Running a club isn't easy my friends and IMO one big step to improving the club would be having an office with full time staff. ie a Marketing Manager, PR staff etc, etc...

pete
08/02/2002, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Running a club isn't easy my friends and IMO one big step to improving the club would be having an office with full time staff. ie a Marketing Manager, PR staff etc, etc...

Yup, you've got to speculate to accumulate. God only knows what would ahppen if Noelle walked out on them tomorrow. :eek:

Could even get a few local marketing students in on work placement or something during the summer to bolster the numbers. Would need minimum of fulltime paid admin staff first.

Neil
08/02/2002, 4:47 PM
It's a sad day when the owners of the Club are so useless that the topic of 'Supporters buying the Club' even comes up...

Michael O'Leary, Noel O'Mahoey, Terry Dunne and Brian Lennox should be ashamed of themselves.

Troy.McClure
08/02/2002, 5:14 PM
If you could get, say €20,000, and become a director representing the fans, than you would need at least another €20,000 to make a difference. Its fantastic saying "Lets get a fultime PR manager etc" but once you "buy in" to the club, you have to keep on spending or theres little point in staying there, unless YOU go full time yourself!

Students as interns would be fine for a while Id guess Pete, but then we would only get people posting here with magic solutions to all of our many problems & accusing the board of being unprofesional and trying to save all of their money by getting students to do a profesional's job ! :(

Snatch
09/02/2002, 12:44 AM
One very feasible way for fans to have a financial hold on the club would be if it went public. Finn Harpics and Waterford United floated shares and fans could buy into the club. If I'm not mistaken Harps are actually a co-op. Its also a way of raising cash. The club would then be accountable to the shareholders and have to hold general meetings and issue financial records etc.
Another bonus is when Gunther leads us to become a major European footballing force we'll all become mega millionaires, should we decide to sell our shares. ;)

Bernie
09/02/2002, 10:00 AM
Just to comment on what has been siad about the SC.

As a member and speaking for myself, not for the SC, the Supporters Club can only be as strong as the amount of people involved in it and those willing to contribute.
I would love for it to be a 'mass movemnet' that would carry some weight but the sad fact is most City supporters really don't want to be involved.
We do our best with our small membership in funding the clubs youths with the lotto and other activities but saying we're invisble means you're not looking.
SC members are nearly always at away games and try to organise trips for EVERY supporter member or not.
So many planned Buses/trips this year have been cancelled due to lack of interest from the 'support' at large. Latest casualty being the proposed 'chartering of a plane to Derry (but thats another story).

Also those expressing opinions here are really speaking for themselves not necessarily FOR the SC.
Everyone within the SC has their own views on different issues like 'Friday night football or the Leicester deal'. Just because your a member doesn't mean you have to tow a certain line. If anyone wants to see for themselves your always welcome to a meeting. We don't bite you know :)

Peadar
09/02/2002, 1:27 PM
Originally posted by pete
Could even get a few local marketing students in on work placement or something during the summer to bolster the numbers.

Isn't Neal Horgan doing a Post Grad in Marketing or something?

ccfcman
09/02/2002, 6:26 PM
city isnt a plc...... why not float the lads?

A face
10/02/2002, 2:49 AM
This thread went to pot I’d say, sheeze, I have never seen so many people get their back up.

My comments earlier were my own, throwin' in my tupence so to speak. What I think and I have seen, I was actually trying to convey that i think it is a bit rich for people to the high moral ground and bark and get all crap when they dont actually propose a solution to the problem they speak of. YES that’s my opinion and I won’t change it till I see different.... No ... no.... stop it now, I wont.

The majority of football clubs has supporters clubs and it would have an agenda and objectives/targets. From what I can see CCFC supporters club has some aswell, fairly hard going I’ll admit considering alot of "REAL" supporters or the "I am CCFC's best supporter but I just dont want to join" supporters, or the "I’m scared and frightened and the truth be known, I am actually from Bunclody and I like caves and bee-hives" dont support it, actually..... I dont care what your reason is!!! MY whole reason for joining the supporters club was to move a bit closer to the club ("I have never been asked to go to a meeting”.... I wasn't either but i still got there!) And to hopefully help the club out a bit if possible. Which I think is fairly covered with the resources available to the supporters club. (Resources = members/SUPPORTers) and to enjoy the benefits of being a member. (Besides all the tangible benefits) Which is a great bunch of lads who have the same interest in City as I do, p iss ups Away and Abroad and a good laugh.

And one more thing that gets me... Where did this "you'll have to drag me kicking and screaming" thing come about, was there a post I didn't read? DALO. From your posts, you seem to have City's interest at heart and you seem like an alright bloke, on RedBoys aswell, I am surprised you feel that way, then again you are entitled to feel the way you do but can I ask how many meetings did you go to? Lads I dont want to harp on but alot of people make it out to be a chore or something. As Bernie said we dont bite. But can I ask what people do expect ... axe-welding maniacs waiting to take a pound of flesh. Get a grip, (I am actually the worst member there I think, I haven't be able to get to meetings and haven't had time to help out) you go and listen to what the activities are and if you have a suggestion/idea/opinion you have your say.... Alot of the time there is something organised like someone from the club or something to talk for a while. All the time you do have the option to drink a beer and stay quiet, you wont at any stage be "racked" and stretched and beaten or anything. If you do, then I think you seriously watch far too much telly and should give it a break for a while. It is a gathering of supporters who for the most part want to contribute to the activities organised. The other part just want to have a laugh and follow City, members should all be City fans and while there you talk with other City fans about issues related to the club or not.

I cant believe so many people are so anal about it. You'd swear it was a feicin' cult group or new religion or something. It is one hour a month ... now if any whingin' bsatard cant give that up. ... There is something up, a group of City fans get together to knock heads together and see what they can do with a bit of effort to try and improve the club from a fans point of view and people get all dramatic and "West Side Story" on me. People crappin' stuff out of their mouths which it totally off the mark, Sad really is what I think, LIGHTEN UP.... You know who you are! If you feel guilty ... there are loads of bridges around, get off one! ... If you feel like putting a bit of time into supporting you club, I’ll see you at the next game or meeting.

Éanna
14/02/2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by oddboy

It's great that the SC run the lotto and other stuff,
but for instance, in all the matches I go to, no one ever has ever asked me if I want to contribute time or money to the club.

fair points, but we did a mass handout of supporters club membership forms at the start of the season and also once or twice in the programme and the interest was very poor. WE DO OUR BEST :confused: