PDA

View Full Version : david lynch

ken foree
07/03/2005, 5:42 PM
any fans? i think i've seen most of his stuff now, the latest was twin peaks: fire walk with me last night. always mind-bending, terrifying, and beautiful stuff. they aren't really films, more moving works of visual art. i haven't seen eraserhead but loved the following

blue velvet

the straight story - his most conventional? i would bet as much, still great and based on a true story

mulholland drive - like this one the best, followed closely by

lost highway

Thomo
07/03/2005, 10:37 PM
eraserhead is a must see IMO, really good, absolutely surreal, but amazing.

onenilgameover
08/03/2005, 7:52 AM
any fans? i think i've seen most of his stuff now, the latest was twin peaks: fire walk with me last night. always mind-bending, terrifying, and beautiful stuff. they aren't really films, more moving works of visual art. i haven't seen eraserhead but loved the following

blue velvet

the straight story - his most conventional? i would bet as much, still great and based on a true story

mulholland drive - like this one the best, followed closely by

lost highway

Have to say I thought mulholland drive was an awful movie..hadn't a clue what was goin on...Twin Peaks was great stuff though...Just listened to the Soundtrack on LP there recently...brings ye back I tell thee.

the 12 th man
08/03/2005, 12:41 PM
Disappointed by Blue Velvet too, although it had its moments.

i loved that movie.
"the well dressed man" will never be forgotten.
"show it to me" :D

ken foree
08/03/2005, 1:29 PM
nice to see fans or at least fellow lynch watchers. i'm only into him semi-recently and forgot to add

elephant man

dune

wild at heart

as well. i have NO idea what goes on in his more surreal movies either but i'd say you can feel something profound happening, maybe just a result of ignorance though ;) but i think, it's like some poems, you don't have to understand every line to feel the thing, it's subconscious

i love how he's always got these analog communication systems or simple machines that act mystically upon humanity.. and plenty of identity switching, dream vs. waking life, wandering souls, the strangest characters in movies i've ever seen...

any other directors like him?

the 12 th man
08/03/2005, 1:56 PM
any other directors like him?

nicolas roeg while not quite as off the wall has a few good "oddball" but interesting movies to his credit."the man who fell to earth" and "d'ont look now" among them.

they were made a good while ago but still entertaining all the same

ken foree
08/03/2005, 3:24 PM
nicolas roeg while not quite as off the wall has a few good "oddball" but interesting movies to his credit."the man who fell to earth" and "d'ont look now" among them.

they were made a good while ago but still entertaining all the same

i've heard of the former.. with bowie isn't it? i guess the late great andrei tarkovsky's 'solaris' might be considered somewhat similar to a lynch movie.

Bluebeard
08/03/2005, 4:31 PM
Oddly enough, I'm not crazy about Wild at Heart, but have a secret loving for Dune - the legend has it that David Lynch was Lucas' first choice for 'Return of the Jedi', but he turned it down to do Dune, and Lucas turned to the Amazing Vanishing Welshman.

Haven't seen Mulholland Drive or the Straight Story yet, though I love most of his work.

Does anyone know what the TV show he did immediately after Twin Peaks was? I remember seeing one or two episodes - I think that is was set on a TV set.

ken foree
08/03/2005, 5:50 PM
i don't know that series he did after twin peaks? i'll try and look it up.

ah i'd LOVE to see performance. heard it's defo worth it, jagger notwithstanding ;)

'straight story' is true story of this ancient fella who's deprived of ability to drive a car because of his failing eyesight.. so he takes it upon himself to drive across something like 2 southern u.s. states on a f*ckin ride-on lawnmower to see his ailing brother! very moving at times. lynch plays it 'straight' (brothers' surname is straight) and basically lets the story play out without too much surreal embellishment, as far as i can remember. great stuff

anyone see 'blow up' by antonioni?

ken foree
08/03/2005, 6:18 PM
list of lynch's stuff here

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/imdb/imdb_frame.jsp?pagetype=name&page=/name/nm0000186/

not sure of that tv series but it looks like he's directed a few episodes of different series

only jap. horror i've seen is ringu connor74. funny, watching fire walk with me, i was thinking how much ringu borrowed from him in style (albeit patchily). but even the theme of a videotape that causes horrific results when watched - that interaction between electronics/communication and people i mentioned up there - is very ehh can i say lynchian

the 12 th man
08/03/2005, 8:38 PM
i've heard of the former.. with bowie isn't it?

that's the one ok,
the other (d'ont look now) was on tv last sunday.
its about a couple who go to venice to try and get over the death of their young daughter.while there they meet two old creepy women and start having visions(the famous red raincoat scenes)

ken foree
09/03/2005, 1:38 PM
that's the one ok,
the other (d'ont look now) was on tv last sunday.
its about a couple who go to venice to try and get over the death of their young daughter.while there they meet two old creepy women and start having visions(the famous red raincoat scenes)

i'm not sure i've seen that red raincoat strangeness! but hurrahh, that sounds like good stuff. can kubrick be a bit lynchy..? both directors can project an air of menace like few others i've seen anyway.