PDA

View Full Version : 2019 UEFA Under 17 Championship

Pages : [1] 2 3

Closed Account
06/12/2017, 1:05 PM
We've qualified !

The reason being is we are the hosts and get a bye to the finals!
The road to the 16-team 2018/19 UEFA European Under-17 Championship finals in the Republic of Ireland has begun with the qualifying round draw involving 52 of the hopefuls.
http://www.uefa.com/under17/news/newsid=2514569.html#201819+u17+euro+qualifying+rou nd+draw+made

http://www.uefa.com/under17/news/newsid=2429056.html#2019+2020+hosts+selected+

Championship Squad (https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u17-euro-ireland-complete-squad-with-idowu-call-up)
Goalkeepers
Gavin Bazunu (Manchester City)
Jimmy Corcoran (Preston North End)
Harry Halwax (Derby County)

Defenders
Sean McEvoy (Ballinmallard United)
Anselmo Garcia McNulty (Real Betis)
Luke Turner (Aberdeen)
Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City)
Timi Sobowale (Manchester City)
James Furlong (Shamrock Rovers)

Midfielders
Charlie McCann (Manchester United)
Joe Hodge (Manchester City)
Brandon Holt (St Patrick's Athletic)
Seamas Keogh (Southampton)
Ronan McKinley (Derry City)
Sean Kennedy (Sunderland)
Festy Ebsoele (Derby County)

Forwards
Matt Everitt (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Conor Carty (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Joshua Giurgi (Norwich City)

Links
2019 UEFA Under 17 Championship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship)
2019 UEFA Under 17 Championship Group A (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship#Group_A)

tetsujin1979
06/12/2017, 1:49 PM
erm, we've qualified for the tournament as hosts Joe.

After that round, the eight group winners and seven runners-up with the best record against the teams first and third in their pool will join hosts Ireland in that May's finals.

nigel-harps1954
07/12/2017, 6:55 PM
Great success. That'll nice a nice boost to see the finals held here.

tetsujin1979
25/02/2019, 10:13 AM
Stadiums confirmed for the tournament: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/venues-confirmed-for-2019-under-17-euros

Kingdom
25/02/2019, 7:03 PM
The Carlisle and Whitehall. FFS. Seriously, Markets Field or Galway are within the threshold, even Athlone for god sake.

tetsujin1979
25/02/2019, 7:27 PM
The Carlisle and Whitehall. FFS. Seriously, Markets Field or Galway are within the threshold, even Athlone for god sake.
what is the threshold?

IsMiseSean
25/02/2019, 7:41 PM
Stadiums confirmed for the tournament: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/venues-confirmed-for-2019-under-17-euros

Are all the teams staying in the Citywest?

tetsujin1979
25/02/2019, 9:01 PM
Looks like it yeah

liamoo11
18/03/2019, 1:53 PM
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u17-squad-selected-for-finland-games

Nice to see odubeko included up front.

Looks like hodge is sticking with us for now very surprising as he was starter for England and they have their qualifiers this week.

McCann s first call up has played loads for utd 18s .

With bazuna, obesele and parrott to come into this for the euros hopefully we will be strong. Sotona who made utd 18s debut at weekend also eligible.

Be interesting to see if oko flex is in the England 17s squad this week .

McKinley was on bench for derry again bohs last week

tetsujin1979
19/03/2019, 12:45 PM
Strange that England's U17 side hasn't been announced yet, they start their elite qualifiers on Thursday
FWIW their U19 side has been announced - http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/mar/14/england-u19s-squad-named-for-elite-qualifying-round-140319 - and includes Chelsea's Conor Gallagher, who some on here had been enquiring about

IsMiseSean
19/03/2019, 3:28 PM
Strange that England's U17 side hasn't been announced yet, they start their elite qualifiers on Thursday
FWIW their U19 side has been announced - http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/mar/14/england-u19s-squad-named-for-elite-qualifying-round-140319 - and includes Chelsea's Conor Gallagher, who some on here had been enquiring about

Felix Nmecha is also in their squad. His older brother Lukas switched from England to the German U21s recently.

tetsujin1979
20/03/2019, 9:29 AM
The Elite Qualifying Round for the U17 Championship starts this week.
List of groups and fixtures on wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship_qualification#Elite_round

Kingdom
20/03/2019, 9:36 AM
what is the threshold?

Distance, but I'll have to take it back, Limerick is further away than the largest trip last year - Rotherham to Walsall

Kingdom
20/03/2019, 9:37 AM
The Elite Qualifying Round for the U17 Championship starts this week.
List of groups and fixtures on wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship_qualification#Elite_round

Some awful tough groups there. 1,3,6 & 8 in particular.

tetsujin1979
20/03/2019, 10:04 AM
Distance, but I'll have to take it back, Limerick is further away than the largest trip last year - Rotherham to Walsall

I think the venues have to be within one hour of the team hotel.

liamoo11
20/03/2019, 7:02 PM
Okoflex not in England 17s squad. Just noticed both their keepers are from man city so man city have the best Irish under 17 keeper and the 2 best England under 17 keepers!and the Irish under 16 keeper doherty is there as well. Ho

CraftyToePoke
20/03/2019, 7:18 PM
Okoflex not in England 17s squad.

Whats his game so liamoo ?
Scotland ? :)

liamoo11
20/03/2019, 7:34 PM
Whats his game so liamoo ?
Scotland ? :)

ITs a mad one isn't it?Don't think there is any Scotland link. No one seemed to be able to explain how he is England eligible not even the lads over on bigsoccer England forum who could only argue the home nations agreement of going to school for 5 years in England but I can't see how that applies when you were born in ireland. Would he need to have English citizenship and is that likely given he moved over at 11 or 12?

He obviously has Nigerian father but no mention of English heritage. On the other hand seems unlikely Brits would have in loved him so much if he wasn't going to be eligible when it came to these qualifiers. The other option of course is he is not good enough for them. In fairness I thought he looked class in our under 16s victory shield win last season.

Cathalsmart
20/03/2019, 8:43 PM
This means he could be eligible for Ireland in the summer so. Not sure I want him if money and resources mean more to him than national pride at this stage, I don’t he will though as I feel if he was going to be involved we would have seen him picked for Ireland u17s already.

tetsujin1979
01/04/2019, 5:43 PM
The final qualifiers completed today, so the 16 qualified teams are as follows (more details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship#Qualified_teams )

Republic of Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, England, Iceland, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, France, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Sweden, Greece, Czech Republic, Germany

Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal and France all quailfied with 100% records. The Dutch scored 12 goals in their three elite qualifiers!

The draw for the finals is on Thursday night at 6:30.

Kingdom
02/04/2019, 11:25 AM
Tough finals. The Dutch scored 34 in the 6 games. Italy, Neth, Eng, Spa, Port, Bel, Fra, all 6/6 in the quals.

Germany don't look anything special.

tetsujin1979
02/04/2019, 11:41 AM
Another bonus is that the four quarter final winners will go to this year's under 17 world cup in Brazil!
The two best quarter final losers will play off to go as the fifth European team, but I'm not sure how these two teams are determined

Kingdom
04/04/2019, 8:29 AM
Another bonus is that the four quarter final winners will go to this year's under 17 world cup in Brazil!
The two best quarter final losers will play off to go as the fifth European team, but I'm not sure how these two teams are determined

Group stage record perhaps

Closed Account
04/04/2019, 11:15 AM
Group stage record perhaps

16.06 The fifth European team that qualifies for the FIFA U-17 World Cup is decided in a
single-leg knockout match between the two best quarter-finalists not progressing
to the semi-finals. They are determined in application of the following criteria, in
the order given:
a. higher position in their group on completion of the group stage;
b. higher number of points in the group stage;
c. superior goal difference in the group stage;
d. higher number of goals scored in the group stage;
e. higher number of points in the quarter-finals;
f. superior goal difference in the quarter-finals;
g. higher number of goals scored in the quarter-finals;
h. lower disciplinary points total based on yellow and red cards received in the
group stage and quarter-finals (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point,
expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
i. higher position in the qualifying round coefficient ranking list;
j. drawing of lots.

Kingdom
04/04/2019, 2:14 PM
16.06 The fifth European team that qualifies for the FIFA U-17 World Cup is decided in a
single-leg knockout match between the two best quarter-finalists not progressing
to the semi-finals. They are determined in application of the following criteria, in
the order given:

i. higher position in the qualifying round coefficient ranking list;
j. drawing of lots.

It won't get to j ;)

geysir
04/04/2019, 4:34 PM
The seeding (into pot 1&2) are based on points gained in the elite round, they look skewed with the two top pre-tournament seeded teams,Germany and England, are in pot 2. It would be desirable if Ireland could avoid those heavyweights from pot 2 in the draw for the Finals.

geysir
04/04/2019, 8:15 PM
A good draw

Group A: Republic of Ireland (hosts), Belgium, Czech Republic, Greece

Group B: Netherlands (holders), France, England, Sweden
Group C: Iceland, Portugal, Hungary, Russia
Group D: Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria

tetsujin1979
04/04/2019, 8:16 PM
Group B, Group D.
Best of luck

Olé Olé
04/04/2019, 9:07 PM
Don't know the level of these teams but if it were a senior tournament I'd say group C is the only one I'd have rathered.

Cathalsmart
04/04/2019, 10:36 PM
Group A was definitely the best group for us, group B and D are just as bad as you could get, group C Russia and Portugal looked pretty even in their qualification group so were also best avoided. Greece and CR wont be easy but are probably some of the better teams we could have got. Bar Iceland there really wasn’t a team you would have wanted in pot 1 but if I was pushed into a decision I probably would have taken Belgium so that probably worked out but again it’s like asking which finger would I want clipped.

At full strength I think Ireland should be looking to advance but I feel that what happened with the u19s last month will happen and the u17s will be sacrificed so Parrott, Bazunu etc will play a level up.

liamoo11
04/04/2019, 11:56 PM
Group A was definitely the best group for us, group B and D are just as bad as you could get, group C Russia and Portugal looked pretty even in their qualification group so were also best avoided. Greece and CR wont be easy but are probably some of the better teams we could have got. Bar Iceland there really wasn’t a team you would have wanted in pot 1 but if I was pushed into a decision I probably would have taken Belgium so that probably worked out but again it’s like asking which finger would I want clipped.

At full strength I think Ireland should be looking to advance but I feel that what happened with the u19s last month will happen and the u17s will be sacrificed so Parrott, Bazunu etc will play a level up.

Its interesting alright. The timing of the tournament might help to have bazuna and parrott involved been early may. Their is still the chance to be involved in the toulon tournament which is early June if necessary. Its a strong irish squad but those 2 and okoflex would hopefully give us a fighting chance to get out of the group and to beat someone like the dutch or the brits in the quarters

Olé Olé
05/04/2019, 7:01 AM
Where's the confidence on Okoflex coming from Liam?

liamoo11
05/04/2019, 8:09 AM
Where's the confidence on Okoflex coming from Liam?

Not confident about it unfortunately but ino reason he shouldn't be involved. Was excellent In our victory shield win seemed to enjoy it there hasn't been any talk of some kind of falling out and he hasn't been involved in the last 2 or 3 England squads even though he seemed a starter before that. Been born here living here till 12 playing for Kevin's and now been at Celtic it all seems utterly bizarre if he is not involved.

Also on a totally mercenary note he obviously could the still switch anyway at a later stage if he really is eligible for england

Cathalsmart
05/04/2019, 9:01 AM
One dilemma is if he plays for us in the Euros he then can’t switch back to England otherwise he is committed.

tetsujin1979
05/04/2019, 10:32 AM
are you sure about that? has he played competitively for England?

liamoo11
05/04/2019, 10:49 AM
One dilemma is if he plays for us in the Euros he then can’t switch back to England otherwise he is committed.

Yes he could play for us in euros then say switch back to England in a competitive under 19 game and would then be tied to England just like happened with Marcus maguane at Barcelona. Joe hodge grom man city and McCann from man utd will be in similar situation if they play for us in the euros they will still have option to switch to England and be tied to them but I guess that is the same for all lads we bring into our system at the under 17 level

Olé Olé
05/04/2019, 11:14 AM
McCann was a new one on me. Another Coventry lad.

https://twitter.com/_charliemccann_/status/1110205036905275392?s=19

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-charlie-mccann-wiki-14151375

Cathalsmart
05/04/2019, 12:25 PM
Also abit like Ryan Johansson, he is committed to Ireland once he plays in a u19 game for us

Cathalsmart
05/04/2019, 12:26 PM
are you sure about that? has he played competitively for England?

He has only played in friendlies. At u17 level he played in the 4 team tournament in Dublin.

liamoo11
05/04/2019, 12:32 PM
Also abit like Ryan Johansson, he is committed to Ireland once he plays in a u19 game for us

No okoflex wouldn't be committed to us if he played in a competitive under 19 game unless he plays competitively before this for England at under 17 or under 19 level. Johanson had played competitively for Luxembourg at under 19 level so that's why he is now tied to us if he has submitted his papers to change aliegence

geysir
05/04/2019, 2:10 PM
No okoflex wouldn't be committed to us if he played in a competitive under 19 game unless he plays competitively before this for England at under 17 or under 19 level. Johanson had played competitively for Luxembourg at under 19 level so that's why he is now tied to us if he has submitted his papers to change aliegence
It's the FAI who request the transfer and who submit the transfer application on Johansson's behalf to FIFA.
He will be tied to Ireland only after he has been capped in a competitive game.
As long as the FAI refuse to cap him or the player refuses to play, the international transfer is deemed incomplete.

Cathalsmart
05/04/2019, 2:11 PM

That’s what I mean, if okoflex plays at the u17 euros he will be tied to England if he switches to them again next season

tetsujin1979
05/04/2019, 3:06 PM
Fixtures have been added to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship#Group_stage
Should be able to make the Ireland games. No word on TV broadcast/streaming options for the games

liamoo11
05/04/2019, 3:49 PM
That’s what I mean, if okoflex plays at the u17 euros he will be tied to England if he switches to them again next season

Yes apologies i misunderstood.

tetsujin1979
25/04/2019, 12:19 PM
colin O'Brien interviewed on Off The Ball this morning, squad announced for the finals on Monday
gNMXiCZhpMQ

liamoo11
25/04/2019, 9:15 PM
Bazuna on bench for city in fa cup youth final with the England under 17 keeper starting.

tetsujin1979
26/04/2019, 2:39 PM
Colin O'Brien on Second Captains today

Razors left peg
26/04/2019, 6:32 PM
Bazuna on bench for city in fa cup youth final with the England under 17 keeper starting.

Aparently the England keeper made a costly mistake in the game

liamoo11
26/04/2019, 7:22 PM
I see furlong is in for shamrock rovers tonight big game before next weeks euros and Dunne is on their bench who has been in 17s squads this season.

liamoo11
28/04/2019, 10:20 PM
No okoflex in the Brits squad on the UEFA site even though the lads on the England bigsoccer site are not convinced it's the actual squad. Our squad isn't on the UEFA site