PDA

View Full Version : Type Of Player We Need

SÓC
07/02/2002, 2:41 PM
Looking at a Bohs website I was struck by the number of midfielders they have and the number of them who are exactly what City need.

One who stands out in my mind is Paul Byrne of yo-yo Pats/Bohs fame. He is one of the most skilled player in the eL, the creative spark city need. The man doesn't even make the Bohs bench most days. He has great experience of playing in UEFA CUP with Celtic etc.

We need to take the risk on these type of players, and not be the club who get all the best non-dub players, but always miss out on the best players from Áth Claith

dalo
07/02/2002, 2:47 PM
i take your point and you are right. however these are full time players and also they probably don't want to leave dublin. not too sure about paul byrne - he's getting ona bit and man is he fat.

by all accounts not too popular in the dressing room either.

i have also liked tony sheridan. he is playing with dublin city. my favourite combo would be paul osam and pat fenlon. we'd clean up with those two.

imagine a midfield with those two and ollie cahill and billy woods. and a forward line of glen crowe and jimmy mulligan. cp o'brien can come off the bench.

pipe dreams though

James
07/02/2002, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by dalo

i have also liked tony sheridan. he is playing with dublin city. my favourite combo would be paul osam and pat fenlon. we'd clean up with those two.

are you serious dalo..Sheridan is a waste of space who plays when he wants to..People complain about Hartigan being lazy etc etc..and then you want to sign Sheridan..a player that would make Hartigan look like an Olympic 100meter runner..unbeleivable.

sure Sheridan has a bit of skill..but when was the last time you saw him play..I mean watching him for Dublin City against ramblers earlier in this year he didnt look too hot..

anyway none of those Dublin players will ever leave to come to Cork..its the good young players from the likes of Waterford ( ala Kirby and Rennie...and those from Galway..etc that we should be realistically targetting IMO

dalo
07/02/2002, 3:05 PM
fair enough there james. however I was talking to a home farm aka dublin city fan who is always waxing lyrical about sheridan.

anyway unless some investor starts pumping a bit of money in the club a la jack walker it will be hot air.

James
07/02/2002, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by dalo
I was talking to a home farm aka dublin city fan who is always waxing lyrical about sheridan.

so how is their fan anyway..he was looking very lonely on his own there in colemans park the last time..

yea we do need someone with money to buy out the current shower....but also someone with some bit of ambition and a love of the club..

Does such a person exist though :D

patsh
07/02/2002, 3:27 PM
The type of player we need is the guy who managed to get €860 million out of AIB ! Now there's a real player !.......... :D

SÓC
07/02/2002, 3:43 PM
:D
The type of player we need is the guy who managed to get €860 million out of AIB ! Now there's a real player !..........

Wait just a sec Alan Carey works in AIB, maybe he could get us a bit of cash, above board and all :D

pete
07/02/2002, 4:29 PM
The Board will probably use the 860million euro to buy back the domain name a week before its up for grabs free again :eek:

All city have to do is become professional in operation, consistently challenge for top honurs & you'll see ambitious players from all over Munster flocking to the cross.

Snatch
07/02/2002, 8:33 PM
We've needed a decent midfielder for a couple of seasons now, ever since the decline of Patsy's knees. Someone like Patsy or Dave Barry is exactly what is needed. I know World class talent like them doesn't grow on trees but it might help if we stopped exporting our budding stars like Joe Gamble etc.

dalo
08/02/2002, 8:13 AM
i think calling them "world class talent" is stretching things a bit.

however patsy and dave barry were the two best midfileders the club ever had. maybe grady can follow in their mould though he may lack their hard edge
what we do need as well is a good hard ttackler/distributor of the ball a leader and a player not afraid to get stuck in. hold on there isn't he playing with man utd? :rolleyes:

Gary
08/02/2002, 10:21 AM
post no 200!

What we need is a hard working grafter who will roll up the sleeves when the needs be. In Grady and Bennet we have two very good players, although they are too young to be our central midfield partnership. Id leave Grady in, but Id replace Bennet (for now, he will be great). What we need is someone like Kelvin, but with a bit more skill a la Kevin Hunt, and I never thought id say this but Steven Gaughan!

Of course, who says the question should be what kinda player do we need, how about - what kinda manager do we need?

niamh
08/02/2002, 3:31 PM
Midfield is an area that needs to be improved. But as pointed out I didn't think the club will be looking to buy considering they didn't up the price for Galway's Bobby Ryan by a few grand. It might have been worth it.
I think the club are looking for City's Roy Keane within the club and locally and I'm not sure how sucessful they'll be.

Peadar
08/02/2002, 3:57 PM
Originally posted by niamh
But as pointed out I didn't think the club will be looking to buy considering they didn't up the price for Galway's Bobby Ryan by a few grand. .

Bobby Ryan isn't better than the players we have at the moment. We need someone like Kevin Hunt or Paul Osam. Players of that calibre are rare in the eircom League and if you want one they don't come cheap. Bobby Ryan isn't in this class.

Troy.McClure
08/02/2002, 5:34 PM
Im a big fan of Paul Byrne. He is bulky but I wouldnt quite say fat! IMO (thats In My Opinion for Dalo ;)) he is the best passer & dead ball taker in the league. He would only come here if he was fulltime and if the other 3 big Dublin teams didnt want him.

Fat (or should I say bulky) chance!