PDA

View Full Version : Political threads

liam88
05/03/2005, 5:14 PM
(serious question)
I was wanting to post a thread about the recent loyalist arrests in Belfast; opening up the discussion about treatment of current Republican criminality in contrast to that of loyalist criminality. I wanted to do this because I find it interesting and the article I wanted to link to was quite good......but i'm worried about getting banned :confused:

I jsut want to clarify the rules on political threads as the Guantanomo thread has stayed open.....

>has the ban on political threads been lifted...
>or does it only apply to Irish political threads.....
>I which case what about the 'Chelsea fans' thread which is obviously very political but it is predominantly based around football so is this ok?

If some one could just clear this up for me i'd be really greatful..... :)

.......oh and there's still no chance of a politics forum with Dav as the moderator? :D

Green Tribe
05/03/2005, 6:18 PM
(serious question)
.......oh and there's still no chance of a politics forum with Dav as the moderator? :D

Heh ehehhehh heh :D :D :D :D

liam88
06/03/2005, 8:20 PM
Cheers,Liam.....what you say is v.sensible......old head on young shoulders etc.

With respect to yer quote though,suspect more chance of I.K.P. being the next pontiff! :eek:

Cheers Dav..........and hey; I'd vote for ya :D

Wasnted to open up a thread about Taiwan as well.....some really interesting stuff going on in the world right now :)

Green Tribe
07/03/2005, 5:13 PM
Cheers Dav..........and hey; I'd vote for ya :D

Wasnted to open up a thread about Taiwan as well.....some really interesting stuff going on in the world right now :)

aye that's right Liam,my taiwanese flatmate is keeping a close eye on it, also we have the Lebanon/Syria carry-on. Lebanon has always been one country i have wanted to visit, decent bunch of people

liam88
07/03/2005, 5:21 PM
Aye;
So Dahamsta is Lebanon/Syria, Taiwan/China ok to post about?

dahamsta
07/03/2005, 5:45 PM
The whole thing is rather paradoxical tbh. Political threads aren't banned, and never have been. But they are, because the level of debate we get around here results in my comments being painted as if they have been. One could argue that this is what politics is all about, which is true; but it's not what politics should be, which is where I come in. Benevolent dictator, fascist, etc.

What I said, quite clearly, was that Foot.ie is not a political forum. It's hard to misconstrue, since that was the exact title of the thread (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=21755). For those of you too obtuse or too stupid to be able to figure out what I meant, I'll get the crayons...

...but wait, I don't need to. Because I already did (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=227838#post227838)! And I'm not going to discuss this again. The ball's in your court, not mine. Debate like a reasonable adult or p*ss off.

adam

dahamsta
07/03/2005, 5:59 PM
You know what, I'll leave it open so the bitching and whining about my fascist nature can all settle in one place.

liam88
07/03/2005, 6:31 PM
You know what, I'll leave it open so the bitching and whining about my fascist nature can all settle in one place.
Never bitched/whined/called you a facist-just wanted to check what I can post without getting banned because I like your forum-that's all.

Green Tribe
07/03/2005, 6:41 PM
u just can't win sometimes liam eh? :D

dahamsta
07/03/2005, 7:01 PM
Never bitched/whined/called you a facistNever said you did, and well done for proving my point.

adam

liam88
07/03/2005, 7:58 PM
Never said you did, and well done for proving my point.

adam

:confused: which point?

Kerr's tribe-you're right!

dahamsta
07/03/2005, 8:20 PM
The point about Foot.ie posters being masters at reading between the lines, particularly when there's actually nothing there.

Eire06
08/03/2005, 8:28 AM
IMO a Political Thread would be very hard to manage, people tend to get to worked up, but if there was someone willing to Manage it fairly I'd like to see one here (If theres a Music one why not a Political one)...

An other point is that is isn't going to stop every celtic thread and the likes turning political..
But sure they can just be moved then...

It'll mean a lot of work for whoever manages it but if it stops us having to trail through political $hit in the football threads I'm all for it...

Dotsy
08/03/2005, 8:53 AM
First and foremost I like this site for its football contant but I have always enjoyed the political treads as well. Most sites dealing with politics only attract people with fairly entrechced views from the two sides of the arguement been debated The beauty of this site is that most people seem to me to be fairly openminded and even if they do have strong views seem to be able to at least respect the views of the other side.

green goblin
08/03/2005, 9:28 AM
Personally I think I'd just like some consistency and guidance over what is and is not acceptable on these boards, Adam.
I know it's more work for you, ,but we honestly do appreciate all you do, or else we wouldn't bother coming back. :)
It seems at the moment that one day we can debate anything under the sun, the next day we can't, and with no real clues as to why the goalposts have shifted.
As an example, I personally enjoy to-and-fro debates on religion- however, I don't want to do this on sites where any one poster is using the site as a platform for proseltyzing their own denomination- (and that goes for atheists saying that their view alone is right and insulting anyone who differs, too, I might add! :mad: ). It can be done, but the rules just need to be hard and fast over what is and is not acceptable.
I don't want to hear political lectures/rants the whole time, but I think it's OK for posters to wear their hearts on their sleeves when discussing current events.
Thansk for listening
Mike.

dahamsta
08/03/2005, 10:58 AM
It seems at the moment that one day we can debate anything under the sun, the next day we can't, and with no real clues as to why the goalposts have shifted. Depends how busy I am, simple as that.

Duncan Gardner
11/03/2005, 10:07 AM
is there a reason why you started this thread [Chelsea fans: brief reprise]. It was locked because it had gone woefully off topic, with people spouting crap whivch has nothing to do with football. This is going to the bin

I revived the thread (briefly, as title suggested) to answer the suggestions that I condone sectarianism, and that my logic is retarded. A right of reply's only fair :)

All long threads go off topic. And as long as you leave the offending threads in place and don't ban or delete the offenders, the problem will recur.

lopez
11/03/2005, 10:20 AM
I revived the thread (briefly, as title suggested) to answer the suggestions that I condone sectarianism, and that my logic is retarded. A right of reply's only fair :)

All long threads go off topic. And as long as you leave the offending threads in place and don't ban or delete the offenders, the problem will recur.Ding, ding! Ding, ding, ding ding, ding!! :rolleyes:

The thread's closed Big Man, you got in your points (of which only 4toTF and most likely Davros, were in the end interested in reading), so just let it go man. :) If I re-started every thread after it got closed down there'd be a cyber-blood bath, and I've got more reason after being called a Gimpmeister on one and 'a fascist' and someone 'who knows all about seven year olds' on another.

Duncan Gardner
11/03/2005, 10:54 AM
Ding dong merrily on high :)

the 12 th man
11/03/2005, 11:09 AM
and I've got more reason after being called a Gimpmeister on one and 'a fascist' and someone 'who knows all about seven year olds' on another.

all we're missing is the "jesus juice" :eek: