PDA

View Full Version : Cahill - Judas or not ?

razor
07/02/2002, 12:55 PM
There have been savage rumours of Cahill going to either Rovers or €hels. And from some posts on this board it looks like people are already resigned to losing him.
This kind of situation scares me, that we can't keep our best players.Why is this ?

Am I being cynical but if you compare Cahills performances this season (his last under contract) versus those over the last few years, I don't think you can compare from a consistancy point of view.
Speaking of Judas's i'd take Woods back in a shot. He's on fire at the moment

Neil
07/02/2002, 1:03 PM
I wouldn't blame Cahill for going to $helbourne. I wouldn't blame any player for leaving Cork City.

Look at the manager they have to play under. Look at the Board that is control of their wages etc. We are one of the worst run clubs in the country, we always have been and always will be with the shower in charge that we have.

Woods would be a great signing IMO also. I wonder what kind of reception Ollie would get running down the wing with a red Shels jersey on!

James
07/02/2002, 1:05 PM
might i suggest "booooo"

:D

Peadar
07/02/2002, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by Neil
I wouldn't blame Cahill for going to $helbourne.

There's only room for one Ollie at $h€L$

I can see it now,
Ollie B: This club aint big enough for the both of us.
Ollie C: Even Dublin isn't big enough for your fat arse.

Troy.McClure
07/02/2002, 1:17 PM
NOT

dalo
07/02/2002, 1:29 PM
i'd be gutted if ollie left. he is the only flair player on the team.

if he did play for shels or shams I'd be bricking it every time he got the ball.

as for him leaving best of luck to him. he owes CCFc nothing and visa versa.

finally this judas stuff is a bit juvenile to say the least but then gain why should I be surprised

patsh
07/02/2002, 2:27 PM
JUDAS ?
What kind of tosser calls a guy who has bust his guts for this club a Judas? Get a grip on yourself, for f**k's sake!
Ollie has done his best for City, and if he leaves, it's because of the w**ker's in the board room. Instead of getting the insults ready for the time he may leave, why not try to do something to encourage him to stay? This is f**king pathetic........ :mad:

SÓC
07/02/2002, 2:32 PM
If we were to lose Ollie, it would be a bad turn however, no one player is bigger than the club, not even Ollie.

If Ollie was to go it would leave the door open for Billy Woods to return. He's just as good as ollie going forward but also could be a back up for Hoggie at left back.

James
07/02/2002, 2:35 PM
if they had any sense of course they'd offer Ollie a nice contract ..tie him to city for the rest of his career and also go out and get woods...then play ollie on the left and woodsie on the right..
After all woods is right footed...can u imagine the fun opposition full backs would have then

mouldymurphy
07/02/2002, 2:52 PM
Originally posted by James
if they had any sense of course
the problem is in the question . they dont have any sense :mad:

James
07/02/2002, 2:58 PM
Originally posted by mouldymurphy

if they had any sense of course
the problem is in the question . they dont have any sense :mad:

hang on a second there mouldy ..i never said that..stop fooking with my quotes..although i dont not disagree with you

pete
07/02/2002, 4:22 PM
If the club were to just get one player in the pre-season they should retain ollie & encourage Billy Woods to come back.

We wouldn't a creative player in the middle really then, just stick another hard tackiling midfielder in the middle with O'Grady & let our 2 flying wingers set the goals up for O'Flynn & Colin P upfront.

James
07/02/2002, 4:27 PM
sounds like a plan to me

pete for manager..the campaign starts now :D

mouldymurphy
07/02/2002, 5:19 PM

hang on a second there mouldy ..i never said that..stop fooking with my quotes..although i dont not disagree with you [/QUOTE]
oops my fault trying to type too fast :D

pete
07/02/2002, 5:29 PM

I thought that campaign had already started? :(

BTW how can Ollie be a Judas if hasn't left yet? Could he be a judas for even thinking of leaving. Think he'd have to actually leave for us to think of calling him judas.

Just as long as all that is clear. :D

Gary
07/02/2002, 5:37 PM
There is no way he could be accused of being a Judas. If anyone were to be booed (not that Troy and the 'do good/everything is great gang' agree with booing) it should be the Board who havent offered him a contract yet. Also for the fact that they have allowed him to get so close to the end of his contract and possibly lose him on a fee.

I agree with James on bring back Woods anyway though.

And besides, If Cahill leaves, who could bloody well blame him? :mad:

James
07/02/2002, 5:39 PM
well ive got to own up and say the thought about possibly thinking about maybe calling him Judas has briefly crossed my mind...between deep thoughts of gunther sacking now mind you..but it has occured i'll confess

may I remind you all over the comments by Ollie in the Sunday Mirror regarding his disgust of Cork City fans over the Glen Crowe fanzine pics which Glen himself thought was a great joke...

Also didnt the judas thing started on this board i might remind you long before rumours of him leaving came to light. didnt they all start with that Gang of 5 story/fairytale/whatever it was..so
him going or staying shouldnt change those peoples views of him...( but then again we are dealing with fickle city fans here)

A great player he surely is and one to a great extent we rely on..id rather see him change his attitude and play for the fans rather then complain about them which to a great extent he did post- those tabloid comments...but the point was made by someone that no one man is greater them the team etc etc..i feel without Ollie we would be doooooomed to mid-table mediocracy

chit this is turning out like a face in the crowd post (sry face :D)

I hope he stays - but i fear its too late already :D

joe
07/02/2002, 5:48 PM
I wonder what kind of reception Ollie would get running down the wing with a red Shels jersey on!

are city changing their home jersey again? :D

chit this is turning out like a face in the crowd post (sry face)

I hope he stays - but i fear its too late already

where's face going? :D

pete
07/02/2002, 5:49 PM
Compare Ollie with any of the other wingers in the league & i think he definitely comes out best.

Rutherford (when fit) & Woods are rarely expected to take on the opposition defense from 1/2 way inside their own half.

Imagine how much more goals he'd either score or setup if he hung out on the left touchline half way inside the opposition half.

Rarely have city won a match this season without Ollie being close to MOTM.

dalo
08/02/2002, 9:56 AM
as for ollie "needing to play for the fans" I imagine he would think perhaps they (the fans) should instead get behind the team. ask any player in a team sport who they play for and it usually a) their team mates and manager and b) they rely on the fans to give them that motivation and boost.

furthermore anybody who takes any notice of the rubbish written in the tabloids really should get out more. you might as well be reading "shoot!".

without ollie this season we'd be rightly screwed but I think ollie would be the first to admit the last 2 seasons he did very little.

to leave ollie go would be a huge dissapointment tothe fans so i reckon it's up to the club to make him stay. if he went to another club like shels or sham's (where they play football) he 'd be devastating. :mad:

this club are at a crossroads.

Gary
08/02/2002, 10:11 AM
I just wonder who the board will try and pin the blame on his leaving? Will they say he had his heart set on Dublin, and nothing they could do could persuade him to stay, or will thye admit that they screwed up big time in not securing him to a long term deal a long time ago?

mouldymurphy
08/02/2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by dalo

furthermore anybody who takes any notice of the rubbish written in the tabloids really should get out more. you might as well be reading "shoot!".

this club are at a crossroads.
whats wrong with shoot :D :D

dalo
08/02/2002, 10:21 AM
assuming he will leave. all this is just speculation. if he goes i think the decsion lies with ollie. the club finically arenot in a position to offer him a long term contract and at the end of the day he might want o try something new. if I was in his own boots (if only.. if only....) I'd move on as well.

mouldymurphy
08/02/2002, 10:23 AM
sounds like a plan to me

PETE OUT :D
TIME TO GO PETE :D

pete
08/02/2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by mouldymurphy
PETE OUT :D
TIME TO GO PETE :D

Jeez you fickle fans!

:eek:

niamh
08/02/2002, 3:26 PM
I don't see how anyone could call Ollie a Judas. But the possibility of us having to watch him in a different shirt next year is one we might have to face. Losing players to the English leagues is bad but there is no way City should be losing good players to other national league clubs...

Troy.McClure
08/02/2002, 5:53 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Troy and the 'do good/everything is great gang'

Ha ha! this is about the 3rd time that something like this has been posted and I still find it funny, keep 'em comming :p

I DONT actually think that everything is great, not on the pitch, not off the pitch. I think that we could have a better board, we could have a better manager and we could have better players. However, I dont think that the board is terrible, I dont think that the manager is cr@p and I dont think that our team is full of useless players.

Priority number 1 for all eL teams is to stay afloat. I wouldnt like to see the club employing a "boom and bust" policy like Waterford, us a few years ago (until this board saved CCFC!) and like (IMO) Bohs could easily do now. Progress is being done at the moment. We have new better training facilities, a very well respected youth system and we are about to get flood lights to go with our new 4,000 seats, with atleast 1,000 of them being covered. All is not great, but all is not bad either. I hope that we get more titles, and the sooner the better, but Cork Hibs had plenty of silver-ware and it did them no good at the end. :( Our progress is slow at the moment, but atleast there is progress!

Neil
08/02/2002, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Our progress is slow at the moment, but atleast there is progress!
That is very very debatable.

You talk about the 4,000 seats - fair enough - but that is the MFA afterall. You mention the young players coming through - good - but if they are only being groomed for bigger clubs it's no good to us. Crewe Alexandria are have nice red seats and a great youth system, but who the **** are Crewe Alexandria after all is said and done.

I want Cork City to be the biggest and best club in Ireland, not just a tidy little club in the black who produce a batch of young players each year for sell-on.

Troy.McClure
09/02/2002, 12:04 PM

a tidy little club in the black who produce a batch of young players each year for sell-on.

Delaney, McSweeny & Gamble. Not exactly an exidous is it? BBM was around for a few years and couldnt get into the team regularly. I wouldnt put the club's position quite like you did.

PS I want Cork City to be the biggest and best club in Ireland too :)

Gary
09/02/2002, 1:01 PM
Come on for christs sake Troy. We lost Gamble for no fee, BBM for no fee, Leon McSweeny for no fee and Delaney for a pittance. Can you see a trend there at all by any chance? We are now on the verge of losing Ollie on a free. are yo happy with that are you? are you happy that maybe if we held onto the above players we may be in a better position to challenge the Dumpland clubs?

Are you a board members son or what?

(and BTW, nothing personal, I just dont agree with anything u say). :)

Troy.McClure
09/02/2002, 1:30 PM
If you must know, one of the things that REALLY pi$$es me off about the board is the short term contracts they offer the players. All first team & promising youth players should be on atleast 2 year contracts, with extenctions being signed atleast 1 year in advance. The possable problem that we have now with Ollie should never happen. I would have thought (/hoped) that the board would have sorted this out after their "Gamble" on Joe didnt work out (so to speak. Sorry for the terrible pun).

Nothing personal taken :)

Johnny
12/02/2002, 7:17 PM
Anyone who labels Ollie a judas can't be considered a fan of this club. At the end of this season he will have completed 6 outstanding seasons of service to the club and thats a long spell in modern day soccer. He fancies a change of scene and what of it. Its been a pleasure watching him. He's one of the few players who really gets the crowd buzzing and will be a hard act to follow.

James
12/02/2002, 7:28 PM
no what ****es people off i think is the fact that ollie probably doesnt want a change of scenery as you put..but he does want to play for a club with a proper set up and one that has a decent manager and a club that has a professional attitude and one that is going places ...other then down to division 1

this club certainaly aint cork city..so Ollie thanks for the goals...the memories..the sending off you got us almost every week a few years back... and good luck playing for a professional club

A face
12/02/2002, 8:18 PM
Lads the Echo seem to think he is on his way although they do say that the club (City) and Ollie C are still in talks but the it looks dark for Leesiders as we cant match $hels offer.

still nothing is confirmed ...... but why does it look so bad.

and james .... i think my posts are just dandy, half are written when i'm back from the pub, but everyone seems to get the jist so how bad.

Please Ollie .... if you go it just wont be the same. :mad:

* i know he was in the famous five and and didn't like the shed doin' the funky chicken but i still forgive him if he stays *

James
12/02/2002, 8:32 PM
face i think your posts are grand too man..what u on about..
all im saying is they are easier to read once you have the code to unlock the letters and the words

:D

razor
12/02/2002, 8:48 PM
Well I guess he's gone.

He is a very talented young man on the pitch and was a joy to watch at times. He did more than most for us over the years but he's gone now so lets move on.
Good and all as he was, one player does not make a team and I personally support the team not any individual

As a staunch Corkonian it sickens me to think of one of our players moving to Dublin but as players in general have shown us over the years, unlike us they have no allegiance to any club.
And it is because of this he can expect no welcome back from me to the Cross in a Shels shirt, the same as Morley, Woods, Hill and Cronin.

In 6 seasons we've had about 3 seasons of actual effort out of him and lets face it he was a luxury player who went missing in games far more than he actually changed them.

So lets all look on the bright side, because as was said earlier we as fans can do nothing to change the course of these events.

So pull up another chair for The Last Supper Mr Ollie Cahill.

James
12/02/2002, 8:51 PM
Originally posted by razor
Well I guess he's gone.
As a staunch Corkonian it sickens me to think of one of our players moving to Dublin but as players in general have shown us over the years, unlike us they have no allegiance to any club.

ok small thing..olllie was from Tipp not from Cork..but yea big big loss to us

razor
12/02/2002, 8:57 PM

ok small thing..olllie was from Tipp not from Cork..but yea big big loss to us

I never said he was from Cork but I am and so is my team, it doesn't really matter where the players come from once they are any good.

A face
12/02/2002, 9:31 PM
James ... i wasn't gettin shirty or anything.

but now that you mention the code to unlock the letters and words, you could try slurring your words as you read them :D

Seriously though lads, Ollies pace and skill are his best assets, with a fairly handy youth system now, are they being thought some of his trickery. For all we say about him Hartigan is a skillful player as well (i have a feeling this will go down like a lead ballon with some people)

we need some in the middle now and and on the wings, ..... i always thought patsy had great skill as well, i would love to see someone like him back in, play hard and handy on the ball, Who do we have to come in for those positions

Pats A
Shels H
Galway A
Shams H
UCD A
Monaghan H
Derry A

Three at home .... Four away.

pete
13/02/2002, 10:54 AM
Maybe someone can clear this up for me?

Before last season we lost Gamble on a free & got a few a pittance for Delaney (i've been saying since the day he left). I think we then had statement by city officials (manager, board etc...) that we can't ever again have a situation where so many players are out of contract at the summer.

Last season we have rumours throughout the year that Leon McSweeney was going on trials to Leicester & may transfer there in the summer. Maybe i missed something but in the summer he seemed to leave out shores very quietly & city didn't get a penny for.

Those in favour of the "Leicester deal" said it would ensure the club didn't lose players on free transfers anymore so how come it happened again last summer.

A bit of a longwinded way around to this but do the club have a plan? Did Bennet & Colin P only make the first team because Leicester didn't want them?

:(

Troy.McClure
13/02/2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by A face
For all we say about him Hartigan is a skillful player as well (i have a feeling this will go down like a lead ballon with some people)

I see your point, for a big guy, ha has good close control.

Loosing Ollie is terrible, but as ever I am the eternal optimist :) I can only see one (possible) good thing from this though! It is

Now that Ollie has gone the team can not rely on him beating 1/2 the opposition and scoring or setting up a sitter. Ollie playing badly = loss, Ollie playing average does not happen and Ollie playing well = often, but not always, a win. Ollie never digs us out of trouble, but does help when we are level. Hopefully now the team will be forced to change the "Give it to Ollie and let him do all the work" attitude thats been there since Dave Barry.

At the Pats match, I will be there singing " Ollie,Ollie. Ollie, Ollie. Ollie Stay Stay Stay!!!" If anybody would like to join me, in the faint hope that he will stay on, then please do. But please please dont boo the guy :(

Gary
13/02/2002, 12:16 PM
Thats all fair enough Troy, Id imagine any City supporter who knows about eL football wont boo him. But you and me both know he'll be booed til all our ears are sore.

The Good Son
13/02/2002, 1:06 PM
"Thats all fair enough Troy, Id imagine any City supporter who knows about eL football wont boo him. But you and me both know he'll be booed til all our ears are sore."
GWA, I'm a City supporter and while I'm not an expert on football (I'd say I'd be one of the few people who'd do worse than Gunther) I think I do know about eL football having been following it since Cork United. Now while Cahill was here and looked even remotely like being here next season I gave him my full support even in games, and there were quiet a few, that he didn't seem interested. I also know that the people to blame for him leaving include the board and our "manager". But bottom line is the final decision is his own, (I'd have probably done the same myself). Now I've every intention of booing and verbally abusing Ollie for all the games I see him in a City shirt for the rest of the season, and with whatever team he's with next season.I've done the same in the past to whoever left City for another eL team, be it Morley, Cronin, Hill, Freyne, Napier and even players I was glad left us like Gloria Gaynor. It's part and parcel of following a team in my opinion. I've nothing personally against any of these people and if in the future Cahill came back he would then get my full support again as did Morley, Freyne and Napier.
Are we the only supporters in the world who welcome back players who leave of their own free will and choice when they visit with their new team.

Neil
13/02/2002, 3:55 PM
I kind of agree.... but...

Booing Cahill would deflect attention from the real criminals of this situation: The people they call the Board of Directors.

If "Judas" taunts should be aimed at anyone, it should be them.

yiddo
13/02/2002, 5:37 PM
Spot on the Neil. The real problem is the board. Ollie Cahill going is only a symptom.
If shels get this season's Ollie he'll be a great signing for them but on last season's form Ollie wouldn't get in their team.

BTW whatever about the others can't see the point in booing Davey Hill. He didn't leave of his own accord. He was released City at the end of his contract. He didn't want to leave. He was forced out.

Éanna
14/02/2002, 12:43 PM
Olli's no judas. never been his biggest fan, but he's making a good move for himself and fair play. there's something wrong at city. OUT OUT OUT