PDA

View Full Version : Wristbands Campaign

Pages : [1] 2

eamoss
04/03/2005, 9:46 PM
Does anybody know where you can get free campaign wristbands? I would be grateful if anybody can post sites!!

De Town
04/03/2005, 10:08 PM
Does anybody know where you can get free campaign wristbands? I would be grateful if anybody can post sites!!
What ones are you looking for because there are a few different campaigns :)

eamoss
04/03/2005, 10:13 PM
Im looking for a mate of mine, any colour will do think the main one he wants in blue(anti bulling).

De Town
04/03/2005, 10:15 PM
Im looking for a mate of mine, any colour will do think the main one he wants in blue(anti bulling).
Havent really seen any of them around myself.... Sorry :(

dcfcsteve
05/03/2005, 12:06 AM

Good to see such strongly-held convictions finding their expression in wristbands. "Sure - I'm a passionate advocate of whatever colour I can get me hands on. Errr - what is it I believe in today again...?"

Definitely one of the most tragic things I've ever heard. Your friend needs shooting - not a wristband......

Tell him you've bought him a see-through skin-coloured one, that it's part of the "stop the spread of sad fashion-victim tw@ts" campaign, and charge him a fiver for it as you mime putting it onto his wrist for him.

Don't forget to remark how well it goes with his eyes now....... :rolleyes:

town73
05/03/2005, 11:05 AM
Tsunami appeal Blue band (http://www.weartsunamiaid.org/international_store.htm) There is a blue band for bullying on the BBC website.

The Lance Armstrong yellow band (http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/index_f.html) for cancer.

BTW, agree with Derry City Steve, they're not supposed fashion items, as appears to be the case with your mate.

shedite
05/03/2005, 1:51 PM
I had a big argument in the pub last night about this. Basically my sister collects them. She likes wearing them, the attention they get etc.

Who cares if it's not what they were brought out for in the first place? It's like a hobby that's raising money for charity at the same time.

My only concern with them is how much money is actually going to the charity named on them. With the Livestrong ones, nike very publically made them for free, so all the $1 they cost went straight to the LAF charity. Some of the latest ones (like the tsunami ones above for example, don't specify which company makes them, so it's safe to assume not all of the cost goes to charity.

One side note, the money going to the LAF goes into cancer research. But the kick racism out of football ones, where exactly does the money go??? As far as I see, nike make all the training tops twith the anti-racism logo on it for free. Is the money just going straight to nike, and the whole idea just to create awareness rather than raise money?

dahamsta
05/03/2005, 3:06 PM
She likes wearing them, the attention they get etc.Rough translation: Vain fashion victim with no imagination. Harsh but true.

adam

Neish
05/03/2005, 3:55 PM
The idea that anyone wears these bands simply as a fashion item, reflects the general mind of a hell people in the world today who seemed concerned only with themself and their own little world.

Just like the tsunami appeal millions of people donated money etc(nothing wrong with this) but other just as Important charitys were neglected. One report I heard said nearly a 60% in certain charitys Ethopia famine apeal etc.

shedite
05/03/2005, 4:35 PM
Who cares? They serve two purposes

1) They raise money for charity
2) They are a fashion accessory

If you have €1, how likely are you to give it to charity rather than buy something you want? Honestly! These charity things have been going forever (daffodil day, buy a badge, buy a pen etc). Why do people have such a problem now that the thing we're buying actually gets used?

Basically bands are raising money that would probably not have gone to charity otherwise. That's a good thing!

pete
05/03/2005, 6:00 PM
Can someone explain this wristband thing? Whats it all about?

:confused:

jofyisgod
05/03/2005, 6:08 PM
Can someone explain this wristband thing? Whats it all about?

:confused:

The idea of wearing a certain colour band of plastic around the wrist to promote a charity. Good idea in theory and principle, but sadly one that has been hijacked by the witless masses. See www.wearyellow.com for the original, but you can get some ridiculous ones at the moment.

I am 2nd Gen, living in London, and the other day i was in Business Studies and this kid shouts out 'does anyone want a "KISS ME: I'M IRISH!" wristband?'. I nearly vomited. Promptly, half of the class, all English, ordered about 9. Fools-anyone with any self-respect could not wear one that wasn't for charity. I am still half-laughing, half-cringing at this. Shocking.

TheJamaicanP.M.
07/03/2005, 7:24 PM
I first noticed the wristbands over the Christmas as I watched Premiership football on the box. I saw the likes of Robbie Keane (yellow wristband) and Stevie Gerrard (blue) wearing them. I didnt know they were for charity but I knew I wanted one. I contacted my good friend, Dillo. He agreed that we needed to get our hands on the wristbands as soon as possible. Finally after a lot of effort, Don Vito ordered 10 yellow wristbands (my favourite) on the internet last week. The money goes to charity which is kind of cool coz it makes me feel less guilty about spending money that could easily be spent on drink. I cant wait for my wristband to arrive. I'm gonna try and get one of the red ones too as I saw Brian O'Driscoll with one on him against England. Does anyone know where I can get a red one?
I would encourage people to buy a wristband as they help you pull on nights out and the money goes to charity.

jofyisgod
07/03/2005, 7:52 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a red one?
I would encourage people to buy a wristband as they help you pull on nights out and the money goes to charity.

Agreed, but don't wear about 10 at one time-looks stupid.

PM, you can get the Childline 'LISTEN' bands at various department store outlets. My buddy descrobed them as 'womens shops' so if you look around Dublin, you're bound to find one somewhere. FAO Corkonians-Mahon Point definately have the red ones.

Agree again, PM, yellow ones-the original and best.
FAO-a few posts up-Blue ones are no longer available. They were a part of a BBC anti-bullying campaign, and were free of charge. They were meant to raise awareness. I heard of them via my school and Radio One. You could try e-bay if you're really after one.

dahamsta
07/03/2005, 8:22 PM
My buddy descrobed them as 'womens shops'Wouldn't they be brothels?

shedite
07/03/2005, 8:30 PM
they help you pull on nights out

I can vouch for this

dcfcsteve
07/03/2005, 8:37 PM
I can vouch for this

Maybe in the Blue Oyster Bar...... :D

If dangling a piece of plastic round your wrist is having a noticeable impact on your chances of pulling, I suggest you kids should focus a little time and effort on developing new chat-up lines....

MariborKev
07/03/2005, 8:40 PM
A wristband with a chat up line on it.........

It will be like love hearts for the new millenium

I'll make a fortune :D

dcfcsteve
07/03/2005, 8:46 PM
I had a big argument in the pub last night about this. Basically my sister collects them. She likes wearing them, the attention they get etc.

Who cares if it's not what they were brought out for in the first place? It's like a hobby that's raising money for charity at the same time.

My only concern with them is how much money is actually going to the charity named on them. With the Livestrong ones, nike very publically made them for free, so all the $1 they cost went straight to the LAF charity. Some of the latest ones (like the tsunami ones above for example, don't specify which company makes them, so it's safe to assume not all of the cost goes to charity.

One side note, the money going to the LAF goes into cancer research. But the kick racism out of football ones, where exactly does the money go??? As far as I see, nike make all the training tops twith the anti-racism logo on it for free. Is the money just going straight to nike, and the whole idea just to create awareness rather than raise money?

If the people wearing these wristbands were open about the fact they're just wearing them because it's cool/trendy and they saw someone famous on TV wearing one, then no-one woiuld care. The fact is, the vast majority of them attempt to proclaim some degree of moral justification for it. If they were really that concerned about bullying/anti-rascism/cancer/the Australian wide-mouthed frog/insert any other random campaign, then they'd have found a way of expressing it prior to the 'genius' idea of a coloured strip of plastic. For example, anti-rascism T-Shirts have been around for years - including some quite cool/witty ones - but I haven't seen a fecker wearing them.

The vast majority of the loons with the wristbands care not one-jot about the campaigns they're supposedly supporting. They didn't before the creation of little plastic wristbands, and once the masses move onto Tazo's, football stickers or coloured-laces they'll drop these 'heart-felt' issues like a hot potato. If they admitted this is the case, then they wouldn't get any stick. But they don't - and in fact they argue the opposite. Hence its tragic.

The beauty of it is - in twenty years time they'll be watching reviews of the 2000's with their kids and smuggly claiming that they never wore one, but everyone else did. Painful.....

pete
07/03/2005, 9:26 PM
Wouldn't they be brothels?

I think you mean woman shops.

;)

Green Tribe
07/03/2005, 11:03 PM
I can vouch for this

it wouldn't make me look twice at a bloke! i would assume the guy was gay :D :D

Don Vito
08/03/2005, 8:14 AM
I first noticed the wristbands over the Christmas as I watched Premiership football on the box. I saw the likes of Robbie Keane (yellow wristband) and Stevie Gerrard (blue) wearing them. I didnt know they were for charity but I knew I wanted one. I contacted my good friend, Dillo. He agreed that we needed to get our hands on the wristbands as soon as possible. Finally after a lot of effort, Don Vito ordered 10 yellow wristbands (my favourite) on the internet last week. The money goes to charity which is kind of cool coz it makes me feel less guilty about spending money that could easily be spent on drink. I cant wait for my wristband to arrive. I'm gonna try and get one of the red ones too as I saw Brian O'Driscoll with one on him against England. Does anyone know where I can get a red one?

Our wristbands should be here for the Anton Schueller weekend scheduled for March 25th to 28th. You can get the red ones in Brown Thomas, maybe you might nip into town today and get me one if you get a chance? Bit busy lately.

lopez
08/03/2005, 8:17 AM
I am 2nd Gen, living in London, and the other day i was in Business Studies and this kid shouts out 'does anyone want a "KISS ME: I'M IRISH!" wristband?'. I nearly vomited.Coooooooool!!!! Where can I get one of these? :D

Karlos
08/03/2005, 8:39 AM

Hey Shed, see my post here re: distribution of the Stand Up Speak Up money to anti-racism projects across europe.

Livestrong and Stand Up Speak Up are the two campaigns I support for two reasons
1. my father is a cancer survivor

2. kicking Racism out of Football is something I've been proactively involved in as a joe soap fan. three revoked tickets courtesy of complaints to FAI.

Stand Up Speak Up (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=21693&page=4&highlight=stand+speak)

shedite
08/03/2005, 9:34 AM
I'm in favour of the bands but even i'll admit that this one is a step too far....

http://www.shanrene.com/page/001/PROD/st-patricks-day-bracelets/kiss-me-irish

Babysis
08/03/2005, 10:31 AM
I bought the yellow band for the same reason I bought the ribbons and donate regularly to a load of charities.

In saying that I hardly wear it. I wouldnt wear it to work as it looks unprofessional, and I certainly wouldnt wear it on a night out(I dont get the whole argument about it helping you pull).

Its great to show support, but the fact that they have now been turned into highly sought after fashion items detracts from the whole point of the campaign in my opinion. Its like the kids who were being bullied for their blue anti bullying bands!! :eek:

dcfcsteve
08/03/2005, 10:37 AM
I'm in favour of the bands but even i'll admit that this one is a step too far....

Now these ROCK !!! :D

They don't claim or pretend to be anything they're not, and they're so kitsch and naff that I love them !

I'm going to dress head-to-toe in them for Paddy's Day. Anyone going to Israel should have one.... :)

town73
08/03/2005, 10:38 AM

it is for a charity . . .

monutdfc
08/03/2005, 12:08 PM
three revoked tickets courtesy of complaints to FAI.

You'd think you would have learned your lesson after the second time ;)

Karlos
08/03/2005, 12:15 PM
You'd think you would have learned your lesson after the second time ;)

brilliant! :)

Green Tribe
10/03/2005, 12:50 AM
I have found a special wristband just for Davros, he will cherish and adore it for the rest of his life, :eek: ;) :D :D :D

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/load.php?tno=247

tee hee hee............

harry crumb
10/03/2005, 1:14 AM
i got one 2day in college but it cost €1. It says "keep our word - make poverty history"

Is that what you're talking about?

Green Tribe
10/03/2005, 1:21 AM
:confused: :confused:

Dillo
11/03/2005, 3:13 PM
I saw St. Pats striker Robbie Doyle recently with a black and white wristband (anti racism). Originally the yellow one was my favourite because Robbie Keane had one but now I'm having second thoughts.

SÓC
11/03/2005, 9:41 PM
I can vouch for this

I cant vouch for Shedite! He pulled my girlfriend with one!!!:mad:

Green Tribe
11/03/2005, 9:45 PM

oh, do tell, spill the beans! :D :D
always up for a bit of gossip ;)

shedite
12/03/2005, 11:09 PM

It's not like I knew at the time. And what are ya doing bringing her to Rafterz??? It's generally accepted that EVERYONE is single in there. That's why we go there! Classy guy SÓC!!! :p

SÓC
12/03/2005, 11:58 PM
It's not like I knew at the time. And what are ya doing bringing her to Rafterz??? It's generally accepted that EVERYONE is single in there. That's why we go there! Classy guy SÓC!!! :p

You mean you dont know that Rafterz is a swingers club....????

Bet you feel like a fool now:D

Dillo
31/03/2005, 2:25 PM
I noticed Robbie Keane had a red wristband against the chinese!

[Racist epithet edited. Dillo, make a racist remark like that again on Foot.ie and you'll be out of here.]

TheJamaicanP.M.
31/03/2005, 3:02 PM
That had nothing to do with the colour of the Chinese flag believe me. Robbie has the best collection of wristbans in the Premiership. His favouite is the yellow one. He also has the black and white wristbands. He's even been seen wearing a green one with words engraved on it saying "Kiss me, I'm Irish". Last week when he was in Dublin, he added to his collection. He bought a red one (just like Don Vito's) in Brown Thomas (former employer of his girlfriend Claudine). Robbie said that he was only interested in helping a good cause. Like us all.

Roo69
31/03/2005, 4:22 PM
on the note o wristbands and money going to charity, this is another very good cause - http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/getaband.html#sms

lopez
31/03/2005, 5:36 PM
I noticed Robbie Keane had a red wristband against the chinese!Supporting the Olympic bid of...Madrid. :D See here http://www.madrid2012.es/NoticiasAct/DetalleNoticias.asp?CodPag=Noticias&ide_noticia=1783

Don Vito
01/04/2005, 10:50 AM
That had nothing to do with the colour of the Chinese flag believe me. Robbie has the best collection of wristbans in the Premiership. His favouite is the yellow one. He also has the black and white wristbands. He's even been seen wearing a green one with words engraved on it saying "Kiss me, I'm Irish". Last week when he was in Dublin, he added to his collection. He bought a red one (just like Don Vito's) in Brown Thomas (former employer of his girlfriend Claudine). Robbie said that he was only interested in helping a good cause. Like us all.

Isn't there a Blackrock College one now PM? Maybe you could fill us in on this one. If its true, that is truely taking the John Thomas.

colblimp
01/04/2005, 8:26 PM
I wear an anti-racism band, not just to get racism kicked out of football, but to try and rid it from society in general.

I walked into a sports shop in Cork city today (wont name it) and I saw a load of different coloured bands on the counter. On closer inspection the company who had made them, which was NOCO, I say again NOCO, marketed them as 'fashion bands'! That, in my opinion, is an absolute disgrace!! :mad:

De Town
01/04/2005, 8:27 PM
I wear an anti-racism band, not just to get racism kicked out of football, but to try and rid it from society in general.
Same here :ball:

I walked into a sports shop in Cork city today (wont name it) and I saw a load of different coloured bands on the counter. On closer inspection the company who had made them, which was NOCO, I say again NOCO, marketed them as 'fashion bands'! That, in my opinion, is an absolute disgrace!! :mad
Disgraceful :( :rolleyes:

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/04/2005, 9:31 AM
I walked into a sports shop in Cork city today (wont name it) and I saw a load of different coloured bands on the counter. On closer inspection the company who had made them, which was NOCO, I say again NOCO, marketed them as 'fashion bands'!

Coldblimp, have you seen the fashion bands in any other shops? Haven't seen them in Dublin yet. Wouldn't mind getting one or two to add to my collection. Still, you cant beat the real deal. I prefer the yellow one. Robbie Keane wears that one, although I see he's also got a red one now. However, like Don Vito always says, you should never wear more than one wristband at a time or else it looks like you're using it purely as a fashion item. I noticed that Gardner fella that plays for Bolton was wearing the anti-racism wristband along with two other wristbands yesterday. Naiive chap. :rolleyes:

De Town
03/04/2005, 9:42 AM
Wayne Rooney has an anti racism 1 and a blue 1.

colblimp
03/04/2005, 11:20 AM
On various highlights programmes last night a few players from different clubs were wearing two or more... :confused:

As for seeing bands in different shops, no I haven't. I'm sure, though, that if you walk into any sports shop they will be selling them as fashion bands trying to make a few bob. :rolleyes:

Disgusting. :mad:

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/04/2005, 11:23 AM
On various highlights programmes last night a few players from different clubs were wearing two or more... :confused:

As for seeing bands in different shops, no I haven't. I'm sure, though, that if you walk into any sports shop they will be selling them as fashion bands trying to make a few bob. :rolleyes:

Disgusting. :mad:

Stop taking the moral high-ground mate. Tell the truth. Like myself and 90% of others who wear wristbands, we're doing so coz they're fashion assessories. It's just a mere coincidence that our money goes to charity.

colblimp
03/04/2005, 11:39 AM
Stop taking the moral high-ground mate. Tell the truth. Like myself and 90% of others who wear wristbands, we're doing so coz they're fashion assessories. It's just a mere coincidence that our money goes to charity.

With respect, that's a load of bo!!ox! If I had wanted to look 'cool' I would have bought every colour band in that sports shop on Friday.

Find out the truth before you start slagging people off...'Mate'!!!