PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Squad

vlad
07/02/2002, 1:09 PM
I feel there are only 2 places still up for grabs in the 23 man squad. Breakdown will probably be 3 GK, 8 DF, 7/8 MF and 5/4 ST. Certainties barring injury are:
Given, A.Kelly, Kiely
Carr, G.Kelly, Finan, Harte, Staunton, Cunningham, Dunne, Breen
Roy Keane, Holland, Kinsella, Kilbane, McAteer, Duff
Robbie Keane, Quinn, Conolly, Morrison

It will be either 1 midfielder and 1 striker or 2 midfielders to fill reamaining places.
What do rest of ye think?

pete
07/02/2002, 5:13 PM
Keepers are written in pen already unless someone gets injured.

I'm not sure if Dunne is a definite selection yet.

Midfield about right. Duff with cover as midfielder/forward so only 4 dedicated forward slots.

Connolly is far from certain of a spot. Sadlier is effectively th only competition with him for last place. Sadlier strong enough target man type forward which could give good options.

IMO maybe only 17 definite of travelling. Either way no more than i'd say 30 have even remote chance of going.

pete
14/02/2002, 3:10 PM
If I had to pick the 23 man squad today.

Given, Kiely, Kelly.
Carr, Finnan, Cunningham, Breen, O'Brien, Staunton, Harte, Kelly.
McAteer, Reid, Keane, Kinsella, Holland, Kilbane, Duff. A N other
Keane, Quinn, Morrisson, A N Other.

Carsley, Kennedy & Connolly are useless. They might gave a good game in 10 if lucky but can't be relied on at international level. Carsley is worst of the three & would struggle at St Colmans Park which tells a lot about the Premiership that he made his way back up. Kennedy can do all he likes for Wolves & eventhough McCarthy likes him lets hope he doesn't travel. Connolly :rolleyes:

Taking a chance on Healy or Sadlier would IMO be better option.

James
14/02/2002, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by pete
If I had to pick the 23 man squad today.

Given, Kiely, Kelly.
Carr, Finnan, Cunningham, Breen, O'Brien, Staunton, Harte, Kelly.
McAteer, Reid, Keane, Kinsella, Holland, Kilbane, Duff. A N other
Keane, Quinn, Morrisson, A N Other.

yea the boy A N Other is good alright but IMO has a dodgy left peg.. :D

what ever happened to Stephen McPhail..i thought he was a good prospect

pete
14/02/2002, 3:20 PM
Suppose he being wasted in the Leeds UK reserves.

For some reason McCarthy doesn't seem to rate him.

James
14/02/2002, 3:36 PM
Originally posted by pete
Suppose he being wasted in the Leeds UK reserves.

For some reason McCarthy doesn't seem to rate him.

yea as oppose to the REAL leeds united that play in Cork
those bloody uk copycats eh!!!!!!

pity mccarthy doesnt rate him though... i always thought he was a decent enough player..but maybe cause he aint playing first team football i suppose.....although having said that Staunton was playing reserves with liverpool and still got his game from time to time....but then i guess satn and macca go way back..

pity though

ruicosta_genius
15/02/2002, 1:27 PM
stephen mcp has to be in the squad what a playmaker he is, i know he is not in the leeds 1st team why i do not know because leeds seriously lack creativity in midfield how could u put the likes off l carsley ahead of him . plus ian harte is 1 of the worst international defenders i have seen good coming forward excellent free kick his distribution of the ball is STINKIN . gary kelly wouldnt make the u21 team steve finan class act kevin kilbane open the gates hed run to sligo if the gates of landsdowne rd were open what yere thoughts people

Éanna
15/02/2002, 2:20 PM
mcphail is promising but has proved nothing. harte is an atrocious defender. he can take good free kicks and decent corners- thats not a defenders job, still hes no worse than staunton.

Xlex
18/02/2002, 9:56 AM
First team football has fcuk all to do with McCarthy and his non-selection of McPhail... Season before last he played loads of games for leeds and got it hard to get a look in for Ireland

ruicosta_genius
19/02/2002, 7:09 PM
not been smart i cannot understand your message but all ican say is McPhail is gifted

Xlex
20/02/2002, 9:23 AM
If Stephen McPhail needs first team football, he has to move clubs, Leeds have suffered a dismal run of late and failed to significantly reintroduce McPhail. I think McCarthy and O'Deary have similar ideas...Play two defensive/tackling central midfielders and two wide men in a traditional winger mode..Also O'Deary seams to like robustness, has to be said He'd almost select Dacourt and Batty together, and as long as he does this do you think McPhail has a decent chance of first team football? And even if he had... McCarthy would be slow to pick him as much as he is quick to select Kennedy.... He has his favourites and to be fair you would sometimes wonder at his squads.......

Pablo
20/02/2002, 10:57 AM
who need skill when you have Lee Carsley :D

pete
20/02/2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
And even if he had... McCarthy would be slow to pick him as much as he is quick to select Kennedy.... He has his favourites and to be fair you would sometimes wonder at his squads.......

You can't blame managers for having favourites but McCarthy really has to dump Kennedy. Hes already proven he can't hack it at top level club football & I think players need a brain at international football which sadly Kennedy is lacking a good bit of. Aside from a cracking goal a couple of years ago at Lansdowne Kennedy has done nothing for Ireland besides do the Starkys 'n Hutch on Harcourt St :rolleyes:

Patsys Fags
20/02/2002, 10:43 PM
Colin Healy must go to the world cup now that hes playin regularly with Coventry :)

sorbothegreek
21/02/2002, 3:36 PM
Next game is the most important he'll play, any sort of decent performance and he's going