PDA

View Full Version : Coughlan to speak to Rico

adamd164
04/03/2005, 11:11 AM
Rico says he 'can't understand why a player of Derek's ability shouldn't be playing' and will speak with him, with a view to signing him.

I agree 100% with Rico here, well done!

...get today's echo.

Peadar
04/03/2005, 11:18 AM
Rico says he 'can't understand why a player of Derek's ability shouldn't be playing' and will speak with him, with a view to signing him.

Niamh will be very happy. ;)

adamd164
04/03/2005, 11:20 AM
I wanted Derek to sign ever since his contract expired - he's and extremely talented defender. :cool:

A postitive start for Damien in my opinion...
UP THE REBEL ARMY!

patsh
04/03/2005, 11:30 AM
I was under the impression that Derek was messing about regarding signing again. What has changed?

adamd164
04/03/2005, 11:33 AM
City wanted him to train and then decide if they'd offer a contract, a bit insulting to a guy of DC's experience, don't you think??

He never 'messed about', that was the club.

niamh
04/03/2005, 12:54 PM
Niamh will be very happy. ;)

We ALL should be.
Competition in the squad is a good thing!
I thought things were sorted with Derek anyhow?

joeSoap
04/03/2005, 1:00 PM
City wanted him to train and then decide if they'd offer a contract, a bit insulting to a guy of DC's experience, don't you think??

He never 'messed about', that was the club.

So, a guy that has played hardly any football for the past 3 seasons should be entitled to a contract because of his 'legendary' status amongst supporters?? :confused:

'Insulting' him by asking to prove his fitness, and resolve, before handing out a contract worth thousands??

What gives a slightly above average player the right to a contract based on performances of years ago??

Get real...

adamd164
04/03/2005, 3:00 PM
AFAIK he's been training with them for ages at this stage........it should have been decided long ago - that's what's insulting...... how long was the guy supposed to wait???

Éanna
04/03/2005, 11:54 PM
AFAIK he's been training with them for ages at this stage........it should have been decided long ago - that's what's insulting...... how long was the guy supposed to wait???
I don't think he was training with City, and from what I heard he was told he'd be offered a contract if he showed up fit for pre-season training. That must not have happened. Good player and a good signing if he's up for it.

adamd164
05/03/2005, 8:08 AM
Fair enough, I had my info wrong.

That said, if he's fit, I defo want him back.

Fair_play_boy
05/03/2005, 8:55 AM
Fair enough, I had my info wrong.

That said, if he's fit, I defo want him back.One of his work mates up at the airport told me a few months back that Derek has been working on his fitness really hard, and that he would be well able to meet the demands of a professional training programme.

pete
05/03/2005, 5:48 PM
Derek would be good adittion to the squad as Bennet & Murray haven't got much competition for their places. Next season is probably too soon for Guthrie.

jofyisgod
05/03/2005, 6:16 PM
It will be good to see Derek back, but i do agree with JoeSoap here-should we all lose the rose-tints over Derek? AFAIR, he wasn't exactly great when he was back last(that seems like an age ago now :eek: !)

yan
05/03/2005, 7:20 PM
can derek sign after the transfer window bcoz he isnt with any club?

Éanna
05/03/2005, 8:12 PM
can derek sign after the transfer window bcoz he isnt with any club?
yeah, once he's not contracted to anyone, he's free to sign any time he wants

adamd164
06/03/2005, 10:46 AM
.....which gaive Damien plenty of time to have a look at him training and (if he choses) give him a contract.

Have to say Shane Guthrie looks fantastic from what I've seen but is too young at the moment - Derek has bags of experience.

Gary
10/03/2005, 2:00 PM
He signed a 2 year part time deal last night.

Éanna
10/03/2005, 3:06 PM
good signing- we need more competition for places at centre back. dan and benno would still be my first choices, but derek will keep the pressure on them

patsh
10/03/2005, 3:13 PM
Will we see him get a run out in Queenstown tonight?

A face
11/03/2005, 9:54 AM
Coughlan rebuffs Waterford to seal Cork return

Derek Coughlan will return to Cork City for a third spell after agreeing a two-year deal at the club, with the experienced defender revealing he had earlier turned down an offer from Cork’s provincial rivals Waterford United.

Coughlan won FAI Cup and League Cup honours in his first stint at Cork before going on to win an eircom League and FAI Cup double with Bohemians.

Read more at www.elevenaside.com (http://www.elevenaside.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16417)

thecorner
11/03/2005, 9:57 AM
makes u think did derek want to play for pat dolan

patsh
11/03/2005, 10:51 AM
makes u think did derek want to play for pat dolan
or did Dolan really want Derek?....;)

adamd164
11/03/2005, 11:19 AM
or did Dolan really want Derek?....;)
That's more what I was thinking

niamh
11/03/2005, 1:51 PM
Well he's back on a part-time contract so I'm thinking that was the issue besides anything else...as Dolan did sign him back from Bohs and Derek knew who has in charge at the time.
Nice about the Waaaterford thing though...