View Full Version : Summer Footie

ccfcman
06/02/2002, 6:25 PM
what with the summer football whan will city be playing their matches.i reckon they should go for saturdays at bout 6pm. there would be a biggish crowd in town and it could draw in a few more

dalo
07/02/2002, 7:53 AM
when those the new season start?

Neil
07/02/2002, 8:20 AM
Originally posted by dalo
when those the new season start?
July.

I'd like to see City keep playing on a Sunday afternoon, about 3pm, but with the luxury of changing to a Friday or Saturday evening if (like last Sunday) there were any other major events on.

I also think, however, that we should try and get to a stage where all/most eL games are played at the same time on the same day each week. Ideally, for me, 3.30pm on a Sunday.

patsh
07/02/2002, 8:40 AM
I would personally like to see games kick off between 4 and 6 on Saturday evenings . That gives you Sunday to watch the motor cycling and grand prix on TV.. ;)
Just looking back at the football qualifers in the All-Ireland series last year, Saturday evening was very popular with people. Plus the few cool ones after the game and a bag of chips going home ......................... :D

dalo
07/02/2002, 8:57 AM
July? gee that's a bit early alright. I suppose saturday afternoons would be cool alright. At least it means I have less of a rush for the train as is presently the case. most importantly i feel it gives the summer soccer idea full oppurtunity to succeed. if clubs are goin to play on a friday night why bother with the plan.

Furthermore with the even shorter close season city's players are going to be nackered by august

SÓC
07/02/2002, 10:18 AM
I'd agree with Saturday night. It gives away fans the chance to get to games, a time like 7:00 would be quite good. People would still be able to head into town early enough for the night out.

The summer season should be interesting, however what are we going to do when we have no games on around Christmas, I always though they were the best, good craic and generally good crowds and also Santa usually makes an appearence at the Cross.

Bernie
07/02/2002, 10:39 AM
After this winter I'd be totally in favour of the change to summer. I imagine everyone will have their own preference for which night owing to work and travel commitments etc.

Personally I'd go with the Friday night scene and I have an inkling that City will be going down this route given that nearly all Premier league games will be Friday nights(ie. looking at the 10 teams that will feature next year and what they are doing)

IMO Saturaday nights are too tricky to call. The continuing expansion of GAA fixtures particular Intercounty matches mean alot of these big games will be played on Saturday nights with Sundays already full.

Peadar
07/02/2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Bernie
Personally I'd go with the Friday night scene and I have an inkling that City will be going down this route given that nearly all Premier league games will be Friday nights(ie. looking at the 10 teams that will feature next year and what they are doing)

Friday night games will rule out many people who travel Cork. I would be very vocal about this if the club changed to Friday nights. I think Saturday at 18:30 would be a great time. If you're a sauce merchant you can go on the raz after the game. If you're under the thumb you'd still have loads of time to go home and get changed so as to take herself somewhere nice.
For many people Sunday is a family day and being from West Cork I can tell you that there's hardly a Sunday in the summer that there isn't some festival or fair or some sort of family oriented occasion.
Having said that I do think that night games are a magnet for messers and blagards!

Neil
07/02/2002, 10:57 AM
Good points Peadar. I've often thought it must be hard for the Dub supporters who have to get from work in town at 5.30, back home and out for a game at 7.30?

We'll never avoid confictions with all other sports so Saturday night 6.30 might be a good time. Picture the sunny days in July, Frankie Sulls beer garden swarmed with City fans from 3 or 4 until kick-off...

Troy.McClure
07/02/2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Good points Peadar. I've often thought it must be hard for the Dub supporters who have to get from work in town at 5.30, back home and out for a game at 7.30?

Its a pain in the @$$ alright, especially to Inchicore. :mad:

Peadar
07/02/2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Neil
I've often thought it must be hard for the Dub supporters who have to get from work in town at 5.30, back home and out for a game at 7.30?

We don't go home, we go from work to the pub.
You should have seen Fagans at 16:30 before the Shels v Pat's game a few weeks ago. Although I'm not sure how many of them have jobs. In the case of Bohs, I'm a 10 minute walk from the ground. For games in Inchicore I just get a taxi to McDowells. Takes 10 minutes in normal traffic. We have a casual day every Friday so there's no need to go home and change out of the suit. Many offices in Dublin are casual on Fridays. One good thing the American companies gave us!

Picture the sunny days in July, Frankie Sulls beer garden swarmed with City fans from 3 or 4 until kick-off...
Now you're thinking along the right lines.
An away trip to Cork would be something all supporters would rellish. Watching the chicks sunning themselves in the beer gardens while you down a cool beer. Hell, even Adam might take to going to the Cross :D

James
07/02/2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Peadar

Hell, even Adam might take to going to the Cross :D

sry Peadar but wou;dnt Adam in that case be more likely to stay in the beer garden if there were as ye said "good looking chicks sunning themselves there"

why would u take yourself away from that if you have no interest in cork city!!!

pete
07/02/2002, 11:22 AM
We have a casual day every Friday so there's no need to go home and change out of the suit. Many offices in Dublin are casual on Fridays. One good thing the American companies gave us!

Every days a flexi casual day for us ;)

Still though can be pain getting across dublin traffic.

I must sound like a broken record by now but 3pm saturday for all premier & 1st division games would be ideal. get people into habit of traditional saturday footie & then move tv games to friday evening. IMO especially in dublin its a bad idea to have other eL games on across the city when live tv game on.

dalo
07/02/2002, 11:24 AM
Spot on peader. to play the games on friday would be a pain for me and a disaster for the club as there is a large number of city fans who live in dublin.

also i don't think the fair weather fans would hardly go to a match on friday night when the propspect of going on the batter looms large.

saturday would be the best alternative to all concerned

Peadar
07/02/2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by James
why would u take yourself away from that if you have no interest in cork city!!!

All the best ladies will be heading down to the Cross so Adam would be on his todd, with only memories of the Mammeries :D

Originally posted by pete
Every days a flexi casual day for us

We all know the Germans do no work the lazy sods!

Originally posted by pete
I must sound like a broken record by now but 3pm saturday for all premier & 1st division games would be ideal.

I think to get the most out of the fans you have to get them to launch themselves into a game. People are more reluctant to do this if they feel they'll be at a loose end afterwards. With a late kick off people are out for the night as it were and wont feel that they have to be rushing off somewhere. You may be needed to follow herself in and out of the shops in town during the day making a 15:00 KO time a bit inconvienient.

vlad
07/02/2002, 12:32 PM
How about saturday night being barbeque night at the cross? Imagine lounging down the St.Annes end, shades on, munchin on a nice juicy burger (not havin to pay a euro extra for a slice of cheese!). Maybe even a couple of relaxin bevvies! No not a can of Dutch mould in the shed but perhaps a pint bottle of Bulmers with ice. This facility would be available to home fans only of course. Do you think the board would be responsive to my idea?

Peadar
07/02/2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by vlad
Do you think the board would be responsive to my idea?

Yes, we like the idea and if you send it in writing to us we'll put it with the eircom League Fixture Posters and deal with it some time.

Éanna
14/02/2002, 1:04 PM
LOL :D

pete
14/02/2002, 1:24 PM
We all know the Germans do no work the lazy sods!

I couldn't possibly comment on that.

Although there may some truth in since i herad its german law that you have beer available to workers during lunch, usually in the form of vending machines. Maybe Eanna could enlighten us on that.

;)

Éanna
15/02/2002, 1:34 PM
think it might be true pete, but i'm workin in an irish pub that oesn't open til 5pm or 1700 as they call it here, so i wouldn't know. Im usually sleepin at lunch time :D

Patsys Fags
15/02/2002, 9:59 PM
It doesnt matter what time of day a match is on cause people dont want to see crap football like we are now