PDA

View Full Version : 2018 League to kick off early

Pages : [1] 2

sbgawa
25/10/2017, 8:20 AM
Hurrah
League to kick off early starting on Feb 16th.
Return of promotion and relegation play offs apparently and details of the format of the ten team Premier still being finalised.
Debate about the play off being just for the second bottom in the premier league against second in the first division or whether to involve more division 1 teams.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1714442/2018-league-of-ireland-premier-division-set-for-earlier-start-with-promotion-relegation-play-off-returning/

Just glad the off season is a little shorter.

fieldofmarkets
25/10/2017, 9:01 AM
5 midweek games. Could they not just bring it forward a couple more weeks.

osarusan
25/10/2017, 9:04 AM
From the link:

The option of a mid-season split into top-half and bottom-half tiers has been discussed.
Sweet Jesus Christ, will that idea ever just f**king die.

Mr A
25/10/2017, 9:30 AM
Talks between the Premier Club Alliance and FAI on the format of the new ten-team divisions are still ongoing.

The play-offs will definitely return next season, though the format is still being discussed.

It is a question of whether to pair second in the First and second-from-bottom in the Premier against each other or involve more First Division teams.

What an absolute shambles if the article is accurate. The PCA are debating with the FAI what the format of the first division should be.

Lim till i die
25/10/2017, 9:34 AM
Five midweek games is way too many, literally no one will want to see Limericks fourth game against bray (or whoever replaces Bray when they're shelegated) if it's on a Tuesday night at 7.30.

Should play the fai cup games midweek until the semis, nobody cares until the semis anyway.

harps1954
25/10/2017, 9:48 AM
Five midweek games is way too many, literally no one will want to see Limericks fourth game against bray (or whoever replaces Bray when they're shelegated) if it's on a Tuesday night at 7.30.

Premier clubs have 36 games next season - 3 more than this season. This is what the clubs wanted when they voted for a ten team league. When did you think they were going to play these extra games?

And why is their a debate about the First Division? Surely with 10 teams in it too it should just run hand in hand with the Premier - 36 games.

Also, they should forget about 'free' weekends for every weekend of the FAI Cup. What was the point of a 'free' weekend for the quarter-finals when only 8 teams were involved or the semi-final where only 4 teams are involved. Have a full round of League fixtures this weekend and only a handful of games would have to be postponed. Also, the European clubs should have fixtures against each other on the weeks before/after European dates, so if games need to be called off at least it's only the European teams that are being hit.

Final point on this - why have the FAI waited until the end of this season to work out what they are going to do next year? Surely this should have been sorted out when the decision was made to go with two Divisions of 10 teams?

brendy_éire
25/10/2017, 9:52 AM

There would be the option, should a team be out of the cup, to use that spare weakened to play what was meant to be their midweek game.
Overall though, awful idea. Not a fan of the earlier start to the season either.

Yossarian
25/10/2017, 10:02 AM
Hurrah
League to kick off early starting on Feb 16th.

Ah. Booked a weekend away with the Mrs for this date thinking I wouldn't miss any fixtures. Can the FAI not do anything right.

PartySaint
25/10/2017, 10:15 AM
When will be First Division format be finalised?.......asking for a friend...

Real ale Madrid
25/10/2017, 10:46 AM
Should play the fai cup games midweek until the semis, nobody cares until the semis anyway.

I've been saying that for years.

There are 4 bank holiday Monday's in the season - Easter Monday, May Day, June BH and the August BH - a set of fixtures should be played on each of those as well which would negate some of the midweek fixtures. There should be no midweek fixtures in this league save for rearranged games.

brendy_éire
25/10/2017, 11:15 AM
I've been saying that for years.

There are 4 bank holiday Monday's in the season - Easter Monday, May Day, June BH and the August BH - a set of fixtures should be played on each of those as well which would negate some of the midweek fixtures. There should be no midweek fixtures in this league save for rearranged games.

I agree with that idea, but would point out that three of those weekends normally have LC matches.

Real ale Madrid
25/10/2017, 11:16 AM
I agree with that idea, but would point out that three of those weekends normally have LC matches.

Exactly - play the league cup matches midweek - save the day off for fixtures people will actually attend.

sbgawa
25/10/2017, 11:49 AM

Your 100% right there but I'd say it's a sponsor thing

sbgawa
25/10/2017, 11:59 AM
I know it was said above but rovers dundalk Derry and cork should have no games scheduled against any other teams except each other for the couple of weeks after the first round of Euro games . Other clubs shouldnt be inconvenienced by Europe matches causing cancellations. Rovers should be down for dundalk the week after first round of Europa league follows by Derry than cork. Ditto for the others. I can't for the life of me see why this isn't done as a routine. Also if two teams are knocked out and aren't due to meet the followingv week rearrange that match straight away.

sbgawa
25/10/2017, 12:04 PM
What an absolute shambles if the article is accurate. The PCA are debating with the FAI what the format of the first division should be.
I hope the delay is because the first part (relegation playoff from premier is agreed ) but the next bit (format of div 1) is awaiting consultation with div 1 clubs.
If it's a 4 way playoff from 2nd to 4th probably 6 or 7 teams at least will have a shot at promotion until the last few weeks of the season.
If they don't do that they are certifiable......keep the league alive and give people a reasoin to come.

IsMiseSean
25/10/2017, 12:14 PM
Ah. Booked a weekend away with the Mrs for this date thinking I wouldn't miss any fixtures. Can the FAI not do anything right.

Dundalk might get an away fixture on the opening day, then you'll just have to change the location.

redobit
25/10/2017, 12:27 PM
Premier clubs have 36 games next season - 3 more than this season. This is what the clubs wanted when they voted for a ten team league. When did you think they were going to play these extra games?

There was no vote!?

redarmyfaction
25/10/2017, 12:34 PM

That makes do much sense it will deffo never happen.

harps1954
25/10/2017, 2:29 PM
There was no vote!?

The PCA had a vote - and it was from this recommendation that the FAI went with the 10 team league. Only the 12 Premier clubs had a vote (hen the name PCA) and the vote was 7-5 in favour of a 10 team top flight. St. Pat's and Sligo were both in favour of this, and it's interesting that one of those two could be relegated at the weekend.

El-Pietro
25/10/2017, 2:37 PM
The FAI had already made their mind up and have used this "vote" to validate their decision and to put themselves one step away from the criticism, and to divide the clubs further. Job done.

harps1954
25/10/2017, 2:38 PM
The FAI had already made their mind up and have used this "vote" to validate their decision and to put themselves one step away from the criticism, and to divide the clubs further. Job done.

Quite possible. But the fact that the PCA voted on it and it was split shows that out of the 20 LOI clubs, only 7 want a 10 team top flight.

nigel-harps1954
25/10/2017, 2:46 PM
Not a fan of the earlier start to the season either.

Can't wait for the inevitable 'brutal pitches' argument from Richie Sadlier and Alan Cawley at the start of February.

Again, pitches will have absolutely no time to recover from this season before going into next season and starting the league a couple of weeks earlier is a nightmare for ground staff.

Lim till i die
25/10/2017, 3:00 PM
Surely there won't be much call elsewhere for the harps groundsman's plough in January??

If he's stuck he can just lob a few grenades.

Charlie Darwin
25/10/2017, 3:33 PM
Can't wait for the inevitable 'brutal pitches' argument from Richie Sadlier and Alan Cawley at the start of February.

Again, pitches will have absolutely no time to recover from this season before going into next season and starting the league a couple of weeks earlier is a nightmare for ground staff.
How on earth is almost four months "absolutely no time"?

Olander
25/10/2017, 3:52 PM
That's absolutely mad logic considering most clubs have sole use of their pitches as well.

It's not like Terryland when there's Galway FA matches on it all-year around and the pitch gets no break whatsoever and it's still one of the best in the league.

Philosophizer
25/10/2017, 4:09 PM
out of the 20 LOI clubs, only 7 want a 10 team top flight.

That's a very misleading statement. The 8 1st division clubs weren't part of the PCA vote. If those 8 clubs had a vote, they may all have voted for the 10 team league, so it could have been 15 out of the 20 clubs in favour of the 10 team league.

We'll never know of course, but i'd guess that most of the 1st div clubs would have wanted to move from an 8-team div to a 10 team div.

Mr A
25/10/2017, 4:11 PM
That's a very misleading statement. The 8 1st division clubs weren't part of the PCA vote. If those 8 clubs had a vote, they may all have voted for the 10 team league, so it could have been 15 out of the 20 clubs in favour of the 10 team league.

We'll never know of course, but i'd guess that most of the 1st div clubs would have wanted to move from an 8-team div to a 10 team div.

There is not a chance in hell the D1 clubs would have voted for that.

On pitches- the issue is there little or no growth in our close season, which makes major repairs more difficult.

Guitd
25/10/2017, 8:48 PM
There is not a chance in hell the D1 clubs would have voted for that.

On pitches- the issue is there little or no growth in our close season, which makes major repairs more difficult.

That’s a very logic post and also those moaning about a mid season break this is the only time work can be done during the growing season in June which is badly needed for some grounds

nigel-harps1954
25/10/2017, 9:00 PM

How many times do you cut the grass in your garden over winter?

total hoofball
25/10/2017, 9:26 PM
I can safely say that any club let alone 8 of them would not have voted in favour of decreasing their percentage chances on getting promoted

Also a 10 team first division increases their season by 8 games next season which will see alot of the majority amateur players in the division drop back to the less demanding schedules of intermediate/junior football. This will hit Cobh, UCD, Shels, Cabinteely, Wexford and Athlone with their mostly amateur squads

Charlie Darwin
25/10/2017, 9:53 PM
How many times do you cut the grass in your garden over winter?
Well it depends on the weather, obviously, but usually a few times. I don't know the exact situation in Donegal, maybe you don't get any sunshine for six months, but I don't really think the entire league should be scheduled around Finn Park's growing season.

sbgawa
25/10/2017, 11:01 PM
Well it depends on the weather, obviously, but usually a few times. I don't know the exact situation in Donegal, maybe you don't get any sunshine for six months, but I don't really think the entire league should be scheduled around Finn Park's growing season.
Grass grows every day the temperature is over 6 degrees

Brusher
26/10/2017, 7:19 AM
Was only thinking about the state of pitches...the FAI should be providing assistance with the pitches especially with an earlier start...but in general I love the early start.

bennocelt
26/10/2017, 11:56 AM

in winter? :D

sbgawa
26/10/2017, 1:47 PM
I don't see how the pitches should be a huge issue , we used to play through the whole winter.

I reckon mid Feb to Mid November with a bit of imagination around scheduling should be able to eliminate mid week league games at least before euro rescheduling.
Prior to yesterdays announcement tomorrows match on the 27th of October was going to be our last competitive match for 4 months !

brendy_éire
26/10/2017, 2:15 PM
I don't see how the pitches should be a huge issue , we used to play through the whole winter.

With loads of matches called off though.
I know we more often than not have a pre-sale friendly or two cancelled due to a frozen/waterlogged pitch.
Bound to happen in the league with the new start date, though maybe not so much at the new plastic pitch in the Brandywell.

Mr A
26/10/2017, 2:44 PM
Have there been a lot of Irish Premiership games called off in recent years? Generally keep half an eye at least on it and have not noticed significant amounts being postponed.

brendy_éire
26/10/2017, 3:18 PM
Have there been a lot of Irish Premiership games called off in recent years? Generally keep half an eye at least on it and have not noticed significant amounts being postponed.

Ah yeah, there's still plenty. Two last weekend for example. I think the IL will switch to summer football eventually.
I usually go to Institute matches, they've had five home matches postponed so far (exceptional, granted) and one away.

Mr A
26/10/2017, 3:42 PM
In fairness last weekend had a major storm that also affected our league and the Stute thing was due to flooding the like of which hasn't been seen in the area at any stage I'm aware of.

brendy_éire
26/10/2017, 5:18 PM
In fairness last weekend had a major storm that also affected our league and the Stute thing was due to flooding the like of which hasn't been seen in the area at any stage I'm aware of.

Aye, take your point. Mid-February is still early though.
Worth pointing out that assuming pre-season friendlies start early January, we're going to struggle to get many IL clubs. Same with yourselves and Sligo. They may need the Tuesday/Wednesday night slot for their own re-arranged matches. We've made do with the likes of Coleraine's U21s in the past, but it's not the best preparation.

TonyD
26/10/2017, 7:36 PM
the new plastic pitch in the Brandywell.

The Brandywells going plastic ? Shame. I'm not in favour of plastic pitches. Dalymount scheduled to be the same I think (If it ever happens !). Can't beat a real pitch.

Lim till i die
26/10/2017, 7:44 PM
Do you reckon it'll be harder or easier to scoop the dog **** up off that?

nigel-harps1954
26/10/2017, 7:46 PM
Do you reckon it'll be harder or easier to scoop the dog **** up off that?

Before or after the Shamrock Rovers fans flares?

legendz
07/11/2017, 6:03 PM
Any word yet on the Premier Division format for next year? Are they likely to go with a 36 game season?

sbgawa
07/11/2017, 7:28 PM
Cork and Derry have issued season tickets on that basis so I'd say it's at the very least assumed

Charlie Darwin
07/11/2017, 7:45 PM
Cork and Derry have issued season tickets on that basis so I'd say it's at the very least assumed
It'll probably be a 32-game season so.

legendz
07/11/2017, 8:18 PM
Cork and Derry have issued season tickets on that basis so I'd say it's at the very least assumedAh great, wasn't aware of that. Is the First Division going to be the same or 27 games?

Martinho II
08/11/2017, 3:43 PM
Ah great, wasn't aware of that. Is the First Division going to be the same or 27 games?

I saw it somewhere online that we will be playing each team 3 times making it 33 games...

El-Pietro
08/11/2017, 3:47 PM
I saw it somewhere online that we will be playing each team 3 times making it 33 games...
If you played each other 3 times you would only have 27 games. 10 teams unless they can find 2 more from somewhere.

Onmybike
08/11/2017, 4:02 PM
If you played each other 3 times you would only have 27 games. 10 teams unless they can find 2 more from somewhere.
Heard a fairly unlikely rumour a few weeks back that Sheriff YC were approached to enter the league, possibly in place of Athlone or else in their own right. Would be shocked if it was true but at least there are expansion talks.