PDA

View Full Version : Rinus Michels R.I.P.

stojkovic
03/03/2005, 2:52 PM
Iron Rinus Michels has died aged 77.

He was a true legend.

Bluebeard
03/03/2005, 3:04 PM
Effectively the man who invented Johann Cruyff. When you think about it, he was the first man to see what happened in under 12s matches and use the "philosophy" at international level.

Inspired genius, I think I remember talk of bringing him back to coach during a World Cup a few years ago when there was a row between the Dutch Squad and their manager.

Aldini98
03/03/2005, 3:23 PM
A sad day, a true tactical genius, inventor of total football.

Lionel Ritchie
04/03/2005, 2:01 PM
sad day for everyone who loves what good football can be. R.I.P.

OwlsFan
24/03/2005, 9:17 AM
Alas he is connected with one of the saddest football day's of my life - Gelsenkirchen 1988. We had withstood everything the Dutch had thrown at us and then that gammy offside goal. 4/5th of the ground was a sea of orange since the Gelsenkirchen was on the Dutch border but McGrath, Bonner et alia had stood firm and we began to dream. After the goal we went on the attack and Aldridge was blatantly pushed in the back in the box but alas Anders Frisk was not on duty that day. My mate shed buckets of tears at the end.

That's why I enjoyed the win in Lansdowne so much in 2001 - payback time.

When you think how many good players that Dutch team of 1988 had and we matched them all the way. Ireland just turns up for the craic and ceol my ar*e.

May he rest in peace.

stojkovic
24/03/2005, 10:07 AM
Alas he is connected with one of the saddest football day's of my life - Gelsenkirchen 1988. We had withstood everything the Dutch had thrown at us and then that gammy offside goal. 4/5th of the ground was a sea of orange since the Gelsenkirchen was on the Dutch border but McGrath, Bonner et alia had stood firm and we began to dream. After the goal we went on the attack and Aldridge was blatantly pushed in the back in the box but alas Anders Frisk was not on duty that day. My mate shed buckets of tears at the end.

That's why I enjoyed the win in Lansdowne so much in 2001 - payback time.

When you think how many good players that Dutch team of 1988 had and we matched them all the way. Ireland just turns up for the craic and ceol my ar*e.

May he rest in peace.
I was at the following games v the Dutch

Lansdowne 1980 2-1 WIN
Rotterdam 1982 1-2 defeat
Dalymount 1983 2-3 defeat
Gelsenkirchen 1988 0-1 defeat
Orlando 1994 0-2 defeat
Anfield 1995 0-2 defeat
Lansdowne 2001 WIN

So thats 21 years waiting to beat the c#nts.
Yes it was a happy day.