PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Denmark - Tue, 14 November 2017 World Cup 2018 Play Off 2nd Leg

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

tetsujin1979
17/10/2017, 1:38 PM
Match thread for second leg

tetsujin1979
13/11/2017, 1:17 PM
thread bumped and unlocked

DeLorean
13/11/2017, 1:27 PM
Waiting on Diggs & Kingdom to tell us starting XI. :)

Meyler for O'Dowda the only change?

Philly
13/11/2017, 1:37 PM
If Meylser comes on in for O'Dowda, are we not losing out on an attacking option in a game we need to win? Is the thinking that Hendrick would push further up?

I think Long may come in for Murphy.

seanfhear
13/11/2017, 1:45 PM
Is every one fully fit and raring to go . The lads did a lot of defending the last day . Maybe not so much running as we used only one third of the Pitch most of the time . Maybe that was the tactic ; Tire out the Danish . Which ever team recovers better after the quick turn around may have an advantage .

Complete concentration on defence may have been tiring for our players . Not actually joking here .

DeLorean
13/11/2017, 1:49 PM
Rob Elliot has returned to England due to a family bereavement. Colin Doyle is expected to step in. - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1113/919633-elliot-leaves-ireland-squad-due-to-family-bereavement/

DeLorean
13/11/2017, 1:53 PM
If Meylser comes on in for O'Dowda, are we not losing out on an attacking option in a game we need to win?

Yes, but I think that would have probably been the case in Copenhagen too only for Meyler's suspension. I forgot about Long starting ahead of Murphy, could definitely see that happening, and hope it does.

I'd love if he found a way of getting Hoolahan into the starting line-up too, but it would probably mean doing something a bit unlikely like dropping Ward or Brady.

Stuttgart88
13/11/2017, 2:51 PM
Long will give Denmark something to think about. Murphy was ineffective both in Cardiff and Copenhagen. He's a good player but isn't a hold-up man / lone striker capable of imposing himself if we don't have much ball.

I think Wes will play for 60 mins, O'Dowda or McGeady to come on instread

-------Randolph
Christie Duffy Clark Ward
-------Meyler Arter
----McClean Hoolahan Brady
---------Long

DeLorean
13/11/2017, 2:56 PM
I can't see Hendrick being dropped.

shakermaker1982
13/11/2017, 2:58 PM
I like that team Stutts but would swap McClean and Brady.

We have to start Wes to get the desired result. We need to be on the front foot because if we don’t score we are hoping for penalties (at best). If they score we are ****ed bar us somehow finding our shooting boots.

shakermaker1982
13/11/2017, 2:59 PM
Actually I’d probably prefer to see Hendrick start over Brady.

Stuttgart88
13/11/2017, 3:00 PM
I think he struggled on Saturday. But I think he's an O'Neill favourite alright. I'd pick an on form Hendrick all the time.

Anyway, Brady needs to sort out his deliveries. V poor and not for the first time on Saturday.

BonnieShels
13/11/2017, 3:02 PM
Is there merit in bringing Wes on for the last 30 rather than starting him?

My biggest reservation with him starting is that should he and the team prove ineffective for the first hour we have bugger all much of a plan-B outside of what we did on Saturday.

Stuttgart88
13/11/2017, 3:11 PM
Yes, was thinking the same since I typed!

DeLorean
13/11/2017, 3:12 PM
Is there merit in bringing Wes on for the last 30 rather than starting him?

O'Neill will definitely see merit in it I think. And you make a good point about the Plan B. It was a bit depressing against Serbia, a goal down and a man up but Hoolahan already called ashore and nothing on the bench to make the desired impact.

I think Hendrick did fine on Saturday, as part of a defensive unit in his more withdrawn role. The biggest compliment I can pay him is Whelan wasn't missed one bit. :)

KrisLetang
13/11/2017, 3:21 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed but the Danish players seem to think the pitch was terrible and that they will be much better off at Aviva.

KrisLetang
13/11/2017, 3:29 PM
On Wes:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1113/919700-ireland-starting-team-denmark/

BonnieShels
13/11/2017, 3:50 PM
Yes, was thinking the same since I typed!

Plus I think against a tiring Danish side he could prove a nightmare. See Lille...

O'Neill will definitely see merit in it I think. And you make a good point about the Plan B. It was a bit depressing against Serbia, a goal down and a man up but Hoolahan already called ashore and nothing on the bench to make the desired impact.

That was a horror show.

Sorry if this has been discussed but the Danish players seem to think the pitch was terrible and that they will be much better off at Aviva.

It has been a long-term complaint about the Parken. Even Daddy Schmeichel brought it up on OTB that that it was like that back in 1993 when it opened and has never really been good.

KrisLetang
13/11/2017, 3:59 PM
Why don't they fix it? Is it BC a bad pitch slows the opposing side down as well?

BonnieShels
13/11/2017, 4:04 PM
No idea. I think they have repeatedly.

It used to host speedway. So that can't have helped either.

jbyrne
13/11/2017, 4:22 PM
It has been a long-term complaint about the Parken. Even Daddy Schmeichel brought it up on OTB that that it was like that back in 1993 when it opened and has never really been good.

talking to the Danish lad beside me Saturday he was suggesting that football takes a back seat to concerts and other uses in the stadium as more money to be made from concerts. I see its operated by a private stock market listed company and not the Danish FA.

Colbert Report
13/11/2017, 4:25 PM
No way Wes Hoolahan starts tomorrow. He'll come on for the last thirty minutes or so. O'Neill's game plan will be to keep it at nil all and try to sneak a goal. If we go a goal down in the first half, he might bring Wes on for the second, but that's about it.

Here's the team I'd go with.

-------Randolph
Christie-Duffy-Clark-Ward
------Arter---Meyler
Long------Brady----McClean
-----------Murphy

Here's what I think he'll go with:

-------Randolph
Christie-Clark-Duffy--Ward
-----Arter----Meyler
Brady----Hendrick---McClean
---------Murphy

Fixer82
13/11/2017, 5:09 PM
I think he’ll start Long instead of Murphy. Meyler in for O’Dowda.

BonnieShels
13/11/2017, 5:11 PM
talking to the Danish lad beside me Saturday he was suggesting that football takes a back seat to concerts and other uses in the stadium as more money to be made from concerts. I see its operated by a private stock market listed company and not the Danish FA.

Part of the deal for rebuilding it was that private firm took over the stadium. Concerts are how a lot of places make their cash now. But sport provides the impetus for building in the first place.

backstothewall
13/11/2017, 5:47 PM
No way Wes Hoolahan starts tomorrow. He'll come on for the last thirty minutes or so. O'Neill's game plan will be to keep it at nil all and try to sneak a goal. If we go a goal down in the first half, he might bring Wes on for the second, but that's about it.

Here's the team I'd go with.

-------Randolph
Christie-Duffy-Clark-Ward
------Arter---Meyler
Long------Brady----McClean
-----------Murphy

Here's what I think he'll go with:

-------Randolph
Christie-Clark-Duffy--Ward
-----Arter----Meyler
Brady----Hendrick---McClean
---------Murphy

I would pick this

-------Randolph-----------------
-- Christie-Duffy-Clark-Ward --
Hendrick-Arter-Meyler-McClean
----------- Hoolahan -----------
----------- Murphy -------------

But i agree with you about the team you think he will pick

liamoo11
13/11/2017, 6:51 PM
I really think Murphy offers us nothing against a side who will have more Of The ball than us. If we need a goal he can come on to partner long up front but he gives us no out ball and allows the Dane's push right up towards half way with no fear that he will ever be a great in behind

TrapAPony
13/11/2017, 7:02 PM
I think it will be :

.............Randolph

Christie....Duffy...Clark....Ward

.........Arter.....Meyler......

McClean....Hendrick....Brady

.....................Long

koneinc
13/11/2017, 7:36 PM
I think it will be :

.............Randolph

.........Arter.....Meyler......

McClean....Hendrick....Brady

.....................Long

You might be spot on with that line up.

Colbert Report
13/11/2017, 7:38 PM
Has O'Neill ever started McClean at right wing?

DeLorean
13/11/2017, 7:50 PM
I agree with Trap in terms of personnel as well.

KrisLetang
13/11/2017, 7:57 PM
What would the order for penalties be? Meyler has volunteered to start things if need be.

Diggs246
13/11/2017, 9:10 PM
I think he will go with
Randolph

......... Arter.....Meyler......

Brady.... Hendrick....McClean

.....................Murphy

I would drop brady, put jeff outwide and have Wes at 10, i would play Hogan at 9 ( i know the Hogan thing is outrageously risky for a debut, but murph has no pace to close down the space and Shane Long looked with someone with depression when he came on on saturday)

Jovial Rambler
13/11/2017, 9:33 PM
I think he will go with
Randolph
Hendrick Meyler Arter
Brady McClean
Long

I would like to see

Randolph
Meyler
Hendrick Arter
Hoolahan
Long McClean

seanfhear
13/11/2017, 9:35 PM
I wonder how fit is Hendrick at the moment ?

geysir
13/11/2017, 9:42 PM
I think it would be a cautious over kill to hold Wes in reserve for a sub appearance late on in order to retrieve a game which is drifting away or one which might still be in the balance.
This is a very different game, one to aim to be the first to score, not an occasion to concede home advantage and look for a punt late on against a capable team.

Here's a reassuring stat with at least a 5 second lifeline, there has never been more than 2 teams from Scandinavia at a WC finals.

backstothewall
13/11/2017, 9:42 PM
I would drop brady, put jeff outwide and have Wes at 10, i would play Hogan at 9 ( i know the Hogan thing is outrageously risky for a debut, but murph has no pace to close down the space and Shane Long looked with someone with depression when he came on on saturday)

That's a decent shout actually. I like that idea

nigel-harps1954
13/11/2017, 9:47 PM
Randolph

O'Dowda Meyler Arter McClean

Hoolahan

Long

That'll do pig.

backstothewall
13/11/2017, 11:44 PM
I've changed my mind on Wes in the last hour. It was reading this again that did it.

For this reason i think Hoolahan should be on the bench. If he only has an hour in him better to have him on the field at the business end of the proceedings.

DeLorean
14/11/2017, 12:14 AM
I think it would be a cautious over kill to hold Wes in reserve for a sub appearance late on in order to retrieve a game which is drifting away or one which might still be in the balance.
This is a very different game, one to aim to be the first to score, not an occasion to concede home advantage and look for a punt late on against a capable team.

Here's a reassuring stat with at least a 5 second lifeline, there has never been more than 2 teams from Scandinavia at a WC finals.

That's fair about Hoolahan alright, plenty to consider I think. I won't be up in arms either way but would be worried about our capacity to change things if needed.

A bit of caution in response to your reassuring stat. I'm sure I read in the last few WC playoffs (UEFA), that it's always been one non-seed to go through. Damn those Swedes tonight taking our spot!

Fixer82
14/11/2017, 5:49 AM
I don’t really get this about Hoolahan. He never looks fatigued to me. And it’s not as if he’s a box to box player anyway.
Duffer and McAteer constantly looked b@llixed while playing but Hoolahan rarely seems to break sweat.

Olé Olé
14/11/2017, 6:01 AM
A lot of people seem to be thinking that Brady and Hendrick won't be dropped when one could do with being dropped. I agree entirely that one should be sacrificed for Wes.

In the likely event that one of them isn't then they really need big games for us. In fairness, Hendrick did well against Wales and was obviously pivotal in the goal so less pressure on him. In spite of past heroics, Robbie really needs a big game tonight as he hasn't had the greatest of campaigns, particularly towards the end of it.

I think Jovial Rambler has my likely and preferred sides above.

Kingdom
14/11/2017, 9:03 AM
Waiting on Diggs & Kingdom to tell us starting XI. :)

Meyler for O'Dowda the only change?

-----------------Randolph----
--Christie----Duffy--Clark-------Ward
-----------------Meyler (c)---------
-- O'Dowda------Arter--------McClean
----------------Hendrick------------
------------------Murphy------------

OwlsFan
14/11/2017, 9:20 AM
So the Vikings have returned to Dyflin (the name their gave this settlement now known as Dublin). Time to run to our Round Towers or face them down? Will we let them murder, rape and pillage in midfield or take them on further up the field? My ancient forefather, Brian Boru Mac Cennetig (I think that's Kennedy) had the right idea. No quarter given, none asked, although I don't expect Martin O'Neill to stay behind in his dugout, praying. The battle lasted all day but it was the Vikings (and their Leinster rugby allies) who broke in the end. It's needs to be war and not tactical maneuvering. Sit back and let them dictate and we're asking for trouble. Up and at them roared on by 50 thousand.

1014 and Brian Boru
Ireland Abu.

geysir
14/11/2017, 9:46 AM
Murphy's a poor man's Bendtner, I think we have to go back to WC 1994 to have such a paucity of options available up front. Has Long dropped off the pace so much that nearly everybody here plumps for Murphy?

Kingdom
14/11/2017, 9:50 AM
I've stopped printing what I'd like to see starting, as it's generally off-the-wall. So I only put in what I think MoN will pick.

davey
14/11/2017, 10:04 AM
Last 6 World Cup playoff games....

Honduras 0-0 Australia
New Zealand 0-0 Peru
Denmark 0-0 Ireland
Switzerland 0-0 N Ireland
Greece 0-0 Croatia
Italy 0-0 Sweden

Now 569 mins (9.5 hours) since last goal when Sweden scored on Friday.

Looks like penalties tonight then....

punkrocket
14/11/2017, 10:31 AM
David squires take on the playoffs

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/nov/14/david-squires-on-the-world-cup-play-offs-and-russia-2018

A never failed cure for hiccups is 2 fingers in the ears and take a big swig of something, you might need a bit of help with this but I see that Corry Evans could maybe manage it on his own.

Olé Olé
14/11/2017, 10:55 AM
Murphy's a poor man's Bendtner, I think we have to go back to WC 1994 to have such a paucity of options available up front. Has Long dropped off the pace so much that nearly everybody here plumps for Murphy?

Probably. I really don't like his chances of scoring a goal.

geysir
14/11/2017, 11:01 AM
A bit of caution in response to your reassuring stat. I'm sure I read in the last few WC playoffs (UEFA), that it's always been one non-seed to go through. Damn those Swedes tonight taking our spot!
That cancels out my stat.
For every good stat there is an opposite bad stat.
Bad stat
A scoreless first leg, Russia v Wales, Greece v Ukraine and on both occasion the away team won the 2nd leg.
Good stat
We have never lost a play off tie when playing the 2nd leg at home.

paul_oshea
14/11/2017, 11:38 AM
but we don't have to lose, to not go through.

And that's currently what? we played iran away 2nd leg, lost to them, still went through. We lost to Belgium away and drew with Turkey but still went out.
That leaves bosnia and Estonia, where we had scored away and subsequently went through.

But its not wholly only on away games first. as pointed out by iran games. So its just a pointless stat, like many other stats :)